Politics Divorce

My parents divorced a couple of years ago. Of course it was hard for me and my brother but they were always fighting so it was better that they divorced.

my parents got divorced when I was ten. they didn't argue a lot or anything, just out of nowhere they decide to get a divorce. Then custody over me went on forever, because the first time around my mom decided I'd live with her and I didn't get a word in it. Then when I decided to move back in with my dad, my mom refused to see me, so i didn't see or talk to her for about a month, then when she finally agreed to see me, they came to an agreement where i go back and forth on weekends. It's extremely hard on you when they get divorced if your parents are going through a divorce i reccommend you talk it over with a friend or someone like that, i don't recommend consolers because i felt like they'd force you to answer in a particular way, and if you're with a friend it's different.

You know, sometimes divorce is the only option. Especially when people reach a point in their relationship where it seems that there is no turning back. Alot of people believe that counseling will help you through it, but if your heart is not into it.... counseling will do nothing for you.

Nobody really wants to see their parents divorced. But, my friend's parents were divorced after 35 years together and she said it was the best thing that's ever happened. And honestly, my parents have been fighting for years and I believe that they would be alot happier apart from each other than together.

my parents separated when i was 2 or 3. i have no memories of them together. it's rough at times. but, it's all for the best. they shouldn't have stayed together. they had grown so far apart, that it was stupid and a waste of emotion for them to stay together.

freakforalias said:
Nobody really wants to see their parents divorced. But, my friend's parents were divorced after 35 years together
when a couple is married that long you really wouldn't expect them to divorce. that's what happened with my parents also, almost nobody expected it, and they had been married for almost 20 years, and both of them were older than 24 when they got married, so it's not like they weren't ready, or it wasn't one of those relationships where they got married too young. it confuses me at times.

this past xmas i had a bad experince with divorce. my parents fight alot and my mom has mentioned divorce before but i didnt actually think thed ever got threw with it. (which im still partially right) Anyways they fight alot and they got into a big fight about god knows what and they were realli mad. at least my mom. SO my dad went out one morning (mind you we were on vactaion at my grandmas, out of state) and my mom called me upstairs into her old room. she was crying and she told me she was getting a divorce from my dad. she wanted to tell me before my brother because i was older. She told me how she never wanted me to grow up with a broken family but its better because they always fight. i cried and we hugged. That day was probably the worst day of my entire life. My grandma cired and even my DAD cried. I get sad even thinking about it. anyways we flew home and my dad packed his things and my mom took his keys and he left. I thought my life was over. My mom said we wouldn't be able to live in our house and send me to the hs i wanted to go to so i would have to choose. Two days later my dad calls and my parents talk on the phone for im not even kidding 5 hours straight. And by that night he was home. My parents said they wanted to try for us. my brotyher and I. My mom started to read this book Relationship Rescue from Dr. Phil. My parents havent had a big fight ever since. Im happier now...

wow sorry for such a long post. my mom said im not allowed to tell any of my friends about this. but shell never know if i post it on the internet. plus it realli helped to finaly tell someone. :smiley:

that sucks... not to put any ideas in ur head, but ive always thought it would be super fun, if my parents got divorced and started dating, to make their gf anf bf 's lives hell. i know it sounds mean but i think it would be awesome. more so with my dad's gf. LOL
~Jules :D

my parents divorced when i was about 10 as well. i knew it was coming because they weren't really getting along all that well. they made sure not to fight in front of my sister and i but i knew what was going on. i was 10, not stupid. LOL

anyway, there were times where it got pretty ugly...my dad would accuse my mom of things that she wasn't doing. my mom actually took the high road and decided not to bad-talk my dad in front of us (which is what can hurt alot of kids, in my opinion). as i got older, i realized that my parents divorcing was probably one of the best things to happen.

the both of them are better off apart then they were together. my dads remarried and has a son...my mom never got married again but has been just great for us.

so yeah, i had some hard times dealing with the divorce but it all seems to be working out.

by the way, i'm 23 now

i'm surprised by the number of divorces, conseling can help, if your parent got a divorce it was probably for the best.

But it happens - It is usually no ones fault, just gets to a point where things are unacceptable. I'm Married, my parents separated for some time because of his drinking problem, lossing jobs, law suits, then physical disputes, but then he cleaned up and there back thogether, married 31 years. but no two relationships are the same. ;)

I'm not surprised by the number of people posting about parents being divorced. Half of all married couples will end up divorced.

My parents have been fighting for as long as I can remember. When my brother and I were young, they tried to hide it from us, though my older sister always knew what was going on, and she told me. When I was a junior in HS, my mom told me that she was going to leave my dad as soon as I graduate HS. That was three years ago and they're still together. They haven't slept in the same room for at least the past 7 years. My dad has the basement office, and he has a bed down there and everything, and since he works from home, he barely ever leaves the basement. And there's such hostility between my parents that you could cut it with a knife, which is why I barely go home now (I am away at college). They argue over absolutely everything. A few years ago, they argued over what to do for Thanksgiving, so they ended up cancelling dinner and my dad took my brother out to eat and I stayed home with my mom and she made us something out of the freezer. I mean, they even argue over what to feed the dog!

My mom stays with my dad because she has never held a job in the US (she wasn't born in the states) and so she would not be able to really support herself. But she spends more time at her cousin's house (my uncle) than at home. The sad thing is, I don't think my dad fully realizes the extent to which their relationship has been alienated. My parents NEVER go anywhere with just the two of them. The last time was when my mom was released from a hospital stay, they went to go eat a late lunch... but my mom was still medicated. My sister and I joked about it, but really, it's upsetting. My mom goes to Japan and CA a lot to visit relatives and friends and I'm so afraid that one day, she won't come back.

what's scary is that divorce is becoming more and more common that marriage is now the "weird" thing to do. it's almost as if marriages are expected to end in divorce now.

yea, that's why i'm cautious about any guy i like and whatever relationships i ever get in, and i just watch my back, i don't ever want to happen to me, i'd hate to have to relive it, but i'd want to make my marriage last as long as possible. I'd just hate it if it ended in a divorce. But I can't predict the future so..

Look guys marrage is just a legal thing, a piece a papper really, or you can make it what it was intended to be something symbolic and meaningful.

But, you can be in a relationship and still have the same problems with fighting, violence, etc. even when kids are involved, you still have to deal with the same headaches if you try to keep the relationship or if you separate, the differnce is if your married you have more help legally because your married the partener can be forced to support the other financally regardless of weather of not they have children.

Tuulia said:
My parents divorced a couple of years ago. Of course it was hard for me and my brother but they were always fighting so it was better that they divorced.
thats how i feel right now...my parents arent divorced but they fight all the time and my mom always says "i wanna divorce and juss leave this place" (n) it scared me but to think bout it its not healthy for me n mah sibilings to see this happening to our family....but i know she is juss staying together for us kids and that she prolly cant afford the divorce either -_- (n)

i'm so sorry you have to go through that AliasBabe12 if you need someone to talk to just PM me, because i had a friend there for me when my parents got divorced and i don't know what i could have done without her. (n)

spy_girl21 said:
i'm so sorry you have to go through that AliasBabe12 if you need someone to talk to just PM me, because i had a friend there for me when my parents got divorced and i don't know what i could have done without her. (n)
awww thats so sweet of you!!! things seem to be okay rite now but like still on the edge of going bad...b/c yesterday was umm bad....cuz yesyertday i drove my mom crazy and i think im the one that makes her feel this way bout everyone in the family....i dunno b/c yesterday well my mom found sumthing really bad of my sisters and she went crazier then she should have been b/c my dad wanted to know where it was and she was juss like "why did you have to go get it out of the trash i juss told you wut it was" in a bichy tone... and sadly my parents 20th anniversy is on the 5th!

but thank you so much for your offer and i may juss take you up on that sumtime ...and you can juss call me Kay btw :smiley:

Back