Politics Ever been discriminated for your religion?

Hi. I'm Katie. I'm a Wiccan. It's an interesting religion, all based on nature, and we worship goddesses and gods, very cool. I got into it about 5 months ago, with a friend of mine, Claire (name changed for safety's sake). We were reluctant, but one day, we knew we had to tell our one friend Mary about our change in religion, because we hated to keep secrets. Well, Mary's a devout Catholic (at least her family is) like she's not allowed to skip church for a birthday party. And anyway, this confused Mary about her own religion, so about 2 months later, which was two days ago, she asked her mom what she should do about her situation, and told her why she wanted to look into other religions. She also told her that Claire and I were Wiccan which is bad because Claire's parents dont even know about it yet. And now, Mary's mom is convinced that Wicca, which is really a peaceful religion, is a cult, with devil worshippers as believers. If you look it up on www.religioustoreance.org you will see this isnt so. I just dont know what to do because now, I'm not allowed to even talk to my best friend Mary on the phone, her parents say she is "here, but unavailable". What would you guys do? Please, help me and tell me your stories.

I'm Katie's friend, and she meant:

She learned about Wiccan about 5 months ago, and her friend Mary didn't know about it until 2 months ago. She told her mother 2 days ago.

:lol: She apologizes for the mixup. :D

~Kate

I studied wicca for a while in high school. Very interesting religion. And very misunderstood. I'm not surprised that people mistake it for "devil worship," especially those of christian faiths, since wiccans have multiple gods and goddesses, not one.

However, I don't know what you can do. If your parents know and understand and accept that you're a wiccan, maybe have them talk to your friend's parents.

I've never been discriminated for my religion, since I don't have one... but I have been discriminated for my lack of religion. Basically, some people think that since I don't have a religion, I must be a horribly immoral person. :rolleyes: Not true.

Why do i find that really confusing!!! LOL!!! i've read it twice over and i still don't get it!!!!
but if ur saying that ur friends parents didn't know bout her new religion and ur other friends parents are gonna tell ur friendss paretns about it and u wanna..... sumthing!!! i don't understand!!

but nope i've never been discriminated for my religion!!!! but i'm indian and loads of indians get descrimnated for their colour beacuse of the whole iraq thing!!!

i think your friend has to make a decision, and not let her parents make one for her. it is a very difficult thing, but in the end its her choice.

I think what you've done here, by having an adress to a site, is the right thing to do with Mary's parents, perhaps you can print of a couple of pages from that site, or another and mail it to Mary's parents, if you could find an open letter from a bishop or other catholic leader include that too. Adress the letter directly to Mary's parents. Perhaps getting information about your religion from an impartal source will convince Mary's parents to allow their daughter to have contact with you.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I started learning about wicca, and brought a book about it to school one day. One of my friends was this total Christian and she freaked, saying that she could never talk to me again...but then she did. She said it was and evil and all this other stuff, but whatever. And another one of my friends said that too. I really don't know what to say, but maybe you could try to explain that Wicca is autaully a peaceful, nature based religion, despite what many continue to think about it.

VaughnFan13 said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I started learning about wicca, and brought a book about it to school one day. One of my friends was this total Christian and she freaked, saying that she could never talk to me again...but then she did.
i have some of those types of friends, ones that are total Christians, and since I'm not the perfect Christian, (like I listen to some pretty hardcore rock, i swear sometimes, and some other stuff) I get all the junk they from them saying your the not leading the righteous life, and that you're a Christian you shouldn't be talking like that, or doing this or that.I get annoyed with them sometimes. Sure I'm religious, but I'm not the strict, hardcore one about it all.

whoa, shari. hi by the way. (shari and i met in person yay) :D
how come i didn't know about these people?!
i would have a chat with the catholic chick's mom... explaining why you're wiccan.
i'm actually really confused about they situation, but i guess if you need some more help you can e-mail me.

but when i tell people i just dont have a religion (i've figured out how to classify myself! not agnostic, not athiest, i just don't have a religion ~ it's just NOT there!) they usually think i'm nuts, because like all of my friends are super good catholics. so they bug me constantly about it, which is enough to make me insane. but anyways, i just dont like religion, so i guess that's my thing. and if people don't like it, then, tough luck.

OT: we must talk more shari!!! and we're getting together soon... we better! ^_^

edit: so now you're going as Katie here? :blink: :lol:
for those of you that are confused... katie and shari are the same person. lol.

I'm very sory about your story. I wish there was something I can do. Once in a while people make fun of me cause I'm catholic and people all of the sudden think that ALL catholics are rapists or something. It is stupid.

whoa, megangarnerbristow... all catholics rapists? that's by far the weirdest discrimination against a religion i've heard!

anywhoo... katie/shari~ i would print out internet pages of info on wicca disproving the rumor that it's like satanism or that it's bad, or you are turning into a horrible child or whatnot (oh the horror ... a turned away christian girl :lol: )
good luck sweetie!!
~maggie

Back