Politics Religion in Education

Another little issue that I'm experiencing is that they assume you have knowledge about the supposedly 'common' religion among people. In my linguistics class we were reading the earliest English poetry...translated from Olde English. They were all religion-based. Their purpose was to impose religion on the Celts at the time.

Geez...the piece was already complicated enough without the addition of all the infered Christian ideals and such, and the fact that you would certianly get alot more out of it if you knew more of the background, which I'm definately lacking.

The only other thing that annoys me is when we get into these huge debates about our text book being wrong, or what the instructor says is wrong. (In most cases, they were raised with a strong christian or jewish morals.) Due to our pretty diverse student body, there's people that get pissed off. And hence the hair ripping. (It drags on about interpretations and such, and if you're arguing with a few particular people it's utterly pointless since they both have such strong ideals.) Then theirs always a question about how this relates to your faith? :lol: Marleneism...the way of being Marlene, the fact that a higher being then meeee must be proven, then I shall believe. I'm agnostic (my family isn't) but I've never taken religion to be that important. (Many passages in any sacred book were written to explain the unknown...which may have been proven by modern science) So to go into that question in class makes me feel rather reluctant and astrained.

Sometimes, not intentionally, it feels like they are forcing me to be preached...and it's certainly unfair when they expect you to be familarized with the aspects of a religion without being properly presented the background. It's always rather iffy. I really don't mind it, but when we start jumping to conclusions that I'm familar that that certain passage in the Bible that I've never actually read before...then that's a problem.

AliasALIAS said:
And I've posted about this before, so some of you may be hearing a repeat. Not all religious schools are like people imagine them, with nuns walking around, priests teaching, and beliefs being shoved down your throat. I've been in a Catholic school since the 3rd grade, and high school especially is very inclusive of all beliefs. While our religious studies are based on the assumption that students are Christian, it's still for educational purposes. Spiritual growth is like an option for the Catholics who want to take their education further and practice their beliefs (there's a countless number of Christians who are "labeled" Christian but don't act like it). There are prayers, but you're not forced to participate in them. You just have to respect those who do, aka don't yell while worhipping. You have to attend Mass, but again, you don't have to believe, just respect. There aren't really limitations as one would expect. In my school, and I imagine most Catholic schools (Christian schools not included), evolution is taught. And in my school, there's a great diversity. It's made up of minorities--African Americans, Koreans, Filipinos, Hispanics, and a few Middle Easterns and Europeans. People come from a wide range of backgrounds. There's atheists and Muslims, including teachers. It's probably not as diverse as a public school, but that's for a simple reason--private schools aren't as large.

But ultimately, it depends on the individual school. Maggie, for example, goes to a school with closed-minded nuts. :( :P
I agree this is a misconception. Having graduated from a Catholic school, I have heard so many of these misconceptions. There were no nuns who taught in the high school, and was very much unlike what everyone always thinks a Catholic school is like. Being Catholic isn't a requirement, but respect for the religion and it's practices is. Although, many of the students at my school were of a similar demographic (which is just a fact of geography, and not as much number). Okay, I'm going to stop here as I'm not sure this was going anywhere...

Religion in schools should be like any personal opinion. All sides shown equally, none forced upon another, but people allowed to state them.

Another random thing about religion in schools that has nothing to do with what I said above...

A girl at a school in the area got a detention for saying, "Oh my God," and not because it was profanity, which is really a matter of opinion when you think about it, but because she was supposedly bringing religion into school.

Now I KNOW that that is going too far.

Kewii said:
1.  Does Religion Belong in Education?
[post="664308"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I think we should be taught about religion in school. It's important to learn about other cultures, and also why some events in the past happened the way they did.

Kewii said:
2. Should taking Religion be mandatory?
I'm assuming you mean 'Religious Education', when you learn about all sorts of religions, as in my school, rather than just learning about, say catholicsm(sp), as in my cousin's school in Spain.

I think it should. It is in our school, and it only takes up half the time of a normal subject, so it doesn't prevent people from picking other subjects. It's a chance for people to learn, and also teach others, and you can put in or take out as much or as little as you want. We have interesting disscussions, and it helps to break dow misconceptions about religious groups. There is one thing though, I think (And not just because I'm a Agnostic-Humanist-Atheist; my Hindu/Devout Catholic and Muslim friends think so too.) that really you need a teacher for this subject who is totally un-bias...we've had two Atheist teachers who were brilliant, but we had a Christian teacher who was always preaching Christianity, and a Muslim teacher who is sub-conciously bias. It doesn't really work if the teacher is bias.

Jai

Well, I think its kind of ridiculous when you aren't allowed to pray in public schools, but on the Stanford Achivement Test, there was a question about the Muslim religion. Call me crazy, but if teachers aren't allowed to teach the subject of Christianity, then why should they be able to teach Islam, Buddhism, etc...?

Your not allowed to pray in state schools? That's ludicrous! I've never really been a religious person, but if I was, I would feel terrible about that! We have a prayer room in our school, and anyone is welcome to use it, whether they want to prayer, meditate, sit in silence; whatever.

Old topic... but an interesting one.... I'm sure you've already done your presentation but I'll add my short 2 cents anyways....

Religion in a public system where there are all types of religious backgrounds is not right.... unless you are going to be teaching all aspects of different religions -- not just christianity...

If you are going to send your child to a private catholic school, then it should be expected. And I see nothing wrong with a school associated with a church to institute religion as part of their education. ;)

Kewii said:
I have to do a presentation on religion in education and I would like to get a sample of people's opinions,
So if you dont mind helping me out, I have three questions.

1.  Does Religion Belong in Education?

2. Should taking Religion be mandatory? Specifically for non-public schools

3.  Should all religions be represented in education.  For example: in Ontario we have the Roman Catholic School Board.  Should every religion have this opportunity?

Why or Why not, for all three. As well as any other opinions you have are much appreciated
1. Religion and Education belong seperate of each other.

2. It isn't right to force kids that go to private schools into taking religion. So I have to say no to that.

3. If one religion is represented, then they all should be represented.

1. Does Religion Belong in Education?
In my school we do a unit on world religons in the 7th grade, and I was highly offened that almost every major religon was covered except Christianity. they left it out because they were afraid of offending anyone, but personally I was extremely offened. I think, regardless of what religon you are, religon is simply a part of history, and I don't think we're getting a complete education without it.

Not mandator, because while I think people would be missing out on a great thing, I understand that as much as I do want it, some people don't. But as a student in a public school, I definatly wish it was an option.

3. Should all religions be represented in education. For example: in Ontario we have the Roman Catholic School Board. Should every religion have this opportunity? I don't agree with all religons but I think they should all be represented becasue the only way to make an educated decision is to be exposed to all of them.

Lucy ;)

:nonono:

Religion should not be taught in schools at all.

1.) The are many religions and many different views on the same religion. You can say something to not offend someone and then offend someone else. Saying the right thing usually means you said something wrong.

2.)Is it necessary to teach it in schools? No, if you are of a religion and you want to practice and learn more about religion, that is what church is for, school is for a place about learning, about what you'll need to know in the life that awaits you.

I do not believe religion should be taught in school!

Ooooh i've never see this topic before! :lol: Even though Kewii's presentation's over (or so let's hope :lol: ) I'll answer the questions anyways

1. Does Religion Belong in Education?
No. That's a very flat no other discussion no. I don't believe Religion should belong with Education. If you want to learn about religion, go outside of school, go to church and Sunday school (or whatever they call it) If a Religious school (catholic schools) likes to offer a course on religion then that's fine, but i dont' think it should only teach the Catholic religion, they should do something more like what my school offers which is World Religion, basically they touch upon all types of religion, which could be very intersting or very dull. Overall, i dont' think Religion belongs in Education period, especially not with the goals to teach kids how to love their religion more. :rolleyes:

No, not even in a Catholic school. I know that most Catholic high schools requires students to take Religion through out all four years of high school, but i think that's ridiculous. Sometimes it's not a student's choice to go to a Catholic school but their parents and they could care less about Religion and why force anyone to know more about a specific religion? Also, quite honestly, religion isn't going to help you in the real world. Face it, unless you become a preacher or a prist, religion isn't going to help you one bit. :lol:

3. Should all religions be represented in education. For example: in Ontario we have the Roman Catholic School Board. Should every religion have this opportunity?
Umm... it' really depends, it's more or less of a representation by population. If there's more people of this faith then they're powerful enough to influence local officals to have all these different privliges, but then again, i dont' think any religion should have such things. Private schools is one thing, Catholic and religious schools are another.

--Mandy :angelic:

mystery_chick said:
No, not even in a Catholic school. I know that most Catholic high schools requires students to take Religion through out all four years of high school, but i think that's ridiculous. Sometimes it's not a student's choice to go to a Catholic school but their parents and they could care less about Religion and why force anyone to know more about a specific religion? Also, quite honestly, religion isn't going to help you in the real world. Face it, unless you become a preacher or a prist, religion isn't going to help you one bit. :lol:

[post="996852"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I disagree. Having gone to a Catholic school, I know that you really can't escape religion, it's woven into the whole school. Everything you do is based on religion, or enforcing religion. Parents may (and have) forced their children into a school, but that's not for the school to fix, the parents are paying (alot of) money for a religious education. If you don't have classes on religion (we were required to take one a semester), then you reduce a religious school to a mere private school-that's not what they are there for. Lastly, I'm sorry you feel that religion won't help you in the real world. It's a personal thing, no doubt, but having beliefs (and no one can argue that they have no beliefs, even if you believe there's nothing more out that) can be a great source of strength and bearing.

Princess Jeanie said:
I disagree.  Having gone to a Catholic school, I know that you really can't escape religion, it's woven into the whole school.  Everything you do is based on religion, or enforcing religion.  Parents may (and have) forced their children into a school, but that's not for the school to fix, the parents are paying (alot of) money for a religious education.  If you don't have classes on religion (we were required to take one a semester), then you reduce a religious school to a mere private school-that's not what they are there for.  Lastly, I'm sorry you feel that religion won't help you in the real world.  It's a personal thing, no doubt, but having beliefs (and no one can argue that they have no beliefs, even if you believe there's nothing more out that) can be a great source of strength and bearing.
[post="996927"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Having the whole education system based off of religion is impractical. What you need to learn is English and math and science or social sciences. Religion could inhibit you from accepting people, or new ideas, etc which is not necessarily a bad thing but it's definitly not something that should be preached to everyone. Religious school does not cost anything here... i dont' think, except for the uniforms, which is another problem that i have beucase it restricts self expression! (but that's a whole other topic) I just dont' understand why religion has to be woven with education at all. There's seperation of State and church, why not education and church? ;) Of course relgion can be a great source of strength and bearing but so can a lot of other things, I just don't think it's necessary to force religion upon people.

mystery_chick said:
Having the whole education system based off of religion is impractical. What you need to learn is English and math and science or social sciences. Religion could inhibit you from accepting people, or new ideas, etc which is not necessarily a bad thing but it's definitly not something that should be preached to everyone. Religious school does not cost anything here... i dont' think, except for the uniforms, which is another problem that i have beucase it restricts self expression! (but that's a whole other topic) I just dont' understand why religion has to be woven with education at all. There's seperation of State and church, why not education and church? ;) Of course relgion can be a great source of strength and bearing but so can a lot of other things, I just don't think it's necessary to force religion upon people.
[post="997007"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I agree, school is a place of learning acedimc stuff, no religion (like I said) that is what church is for! Teachers complain about students hanging out with friends and spending time in class to listen to a walk man and they say you are in school and your supposed to be learning. If you really wanted to learn religion than there's church, church was made to teach and practice religion.

religion, all religions should be taught at schools. this way, people will learn to be more open to others and wont be hateful like many people are these days towards religion.

But their has been hate walking since 9-11, people didn't want to be open and some people still don't religion should be taught to those who want to learn it, not in schools where they are forced to. Yes people would grasp the concept of Religion, Diversity and all but it isn't necessarily a must have to be taught thing. They have special schools that teach religion and churches. Religion belongs to those who want to know it and No teacher should be a put in a position to teach religion because someone might get offended or not believe in any religion. It really isn't necessary.

I go to a Christian bases school so it’s a requirement to take two classes a week. However, you can choose either the studies of religions in other societies or religion and ethics which is actually kind of interesting. It’s not all preachy, it's actually somewhat helpful to pull together your views on things.

a good friend of mine went to st. mary's for college and she said she wouldnt trade the education she got at st. mary's for anything. i guess if you are really in to that stuff its good to have in education. like i dont see a problem teaching it in school but there were people in my school who didnt like anything related to religion taught because it wasnt what they were taught at church. or you have the other side of it. people dont like learning about eveolution(sp) because it goes against what they are taught in church.

Back