Experience

I'm curious as to what people's views on experience is, and gaining it. In so many other MMORPG's the goal is to get experience. So it becomes a grind fest. WoW started to introduce the concept of xp for other things. Like finding new lands - the lower the level and the higher area you found the more xp you got. And you got more xp for quests than for just grinding.

How will it work in HJ? I would like to see xp for doing things that grow your character - like exploring new lands or creating new items that no one has created before (maybe being able to create your own "recipes") or for helping your neighbor out. I do not want to play another grind-fest. We've heard plenty that it won't be a grind fest, but I'm excited to more about what the game play progression will be like.

Milamber

I think the concept of Wyr may address this.

As part of the rewards for questing and such, Wyr will be awarded. This can enhance characters, as well as gear, by giving extra capabilities (and taking away).

So, in addition to gaining levels, we'll also have another means to enhance our characters.

yeah, but it's still a level based game (sigh, whish it was skill based), so getting exp is still going to be important. DDO does it very differently by give exp from quests only. Still it really hasn't been said. Very good question.

I honestly don't have a solid opinion on experience gain. I like experience since I like to have something to work towards, and I want a gauge or meter to measure that progress. I like numbers, whereas I know on the Simu forums, that same topic became quite heated with those that don't like numbers, nor experience or measurement of any sort. Unlike the 'power players' that play as hard and fast as they can to get to the end game, I have no desire to get to the end, I just want to know how much of this and that that I have accumulated.

If experience is what gives me the ability to "skill up" or use for other in game abilities, then I want some measure of how much I have gained. If points are used, RP points, quest points, Wyr, etc... then I want to know how much of those I have and how much I need to get the item, ability or skill I want.

I guess you could say, "experience" itself doesn't matter, unless the game uses "experience" to allow players to gain something from it.

~ Jaraeth

I like experience since I like to have something to work towards, and I want a gauge or meter to measure that progress. I like numbers, whereas I know on the Simu forums, that same topic became quite heated with those that don't like numbers, nor experience or measurement of any sort. Unlike the 'power players' that play as hard and fast as they can to get to the end game, I have no desire to get to the end, I just want to know how much of this and that that I have accumulated.

I totally agree with that. I like to know I'm making progress. Though from what I've seen about Wyr it is going to make it a hybrid, I like Hybrids (See thoughts on Penkey's in the class discussion.) It will be different, and different is exciting, different is an adventure! And isn't that what we are all here for?

On topic of power gamers, no matter what system is used there is always a way to "power game." I think the important part is the "No-Grind" system in that you can have more fun getting through those lvls. I would think that should lessen the gap between power gamers and RP gamers and such.

Czi

And remember, not all aspects of your character are dependent on your level.

Sure another level might get you something new. But you also get skills and abilities inbetween.

So this isn't entirely a level based game. With the scaling and what not.

Back