Friends

Just a thread to talk about friends, and friendship. What does it mean to you? How long have you had your longest friend for? And, I'm just wondering, because I've noticed this at my school, but are your friends usually the same wealth class as you? The same race? The same gender? Just wondering. Are you friends with people with similar interests to yours, or are you completely different?

Being away at college has made me realize - that there are some friends that are only with you for a certain time in your life and when that time is over, so is the friendship. It's sad, but it's the truth.

I also have found it is very hard to be friends with girls around my age. In person at least, most girls I know won't hesitate to talk about you behind your back the minute it's turned.

Also, a lot of girls my age tend to be all about 'the drama.' I cannot stand that. I could care less about your name dropping, boy you got on, what this girl said to you at a party, how drunk you were, this and that funny thing that happened when so and so did this - GAH!! I think that is a huge sign it's time for me to graduate and move on from college - I am over all of that!

Let's just say, some friends come and go... but some are with you for the rest of your life.

I used to be in three different group of friends. Korin and Jen. Cynthia, Kit, and Han. Lulu, Katie, and Jackie. And I've known all of them pretty much since 5th grade...

But now, I've basically lost touch with everyone but Jen, Kit, and Han. It's kind of sad... that one summer apart can break your friendship. Eh. I still see some of them around town but I don't usually talk to them.

As for Jen, Kit, and Han... we try to hang out together, but there's always at least one of us missing. Jen and Han go to NCCC but they're still in town. Kit goes to Southern down in New Haven but she comes up like every weekend. I think the last time we all hung out together had to be more than a year ago! Jen and Han did come over maybe about two months ago... I barely talk to them online. Or call them.

But it's cool though, because as far as we may drift apart, we always end up coming back together. And all that lost time... just disappears and it's like we've seen each other every day. But then we'll start to drift apart again... it's an endless cycle.

I'm Laotian, Kit's Korean, Han's Vietnamese, and Jen's Caucasian. But before I ever started hanging out with Han, I didn't have any Asian friends. And I don't think I'll be making more any time soon cause Asian girls cause too much drama, especially in Torrington. <_<

We don't really have the same interests, I don't think. We're all pretty different but the one thing we have in common is that we're pretty retarded. It's almost not funny. :lol:

For me, friendship is fleeting. Rare is a friend who will stay with you throughout moves, different schools, and eventually, college. Although I do try to stay in touch with some of my older friends, it's not easy. We've involved in different activities and have different course loads. Some of our vacations arent even the same days, so we cant see each other then. Whenever one person's free, the other's running off for a service project or cramming for a huge test. It's a definite strain on our relationship. And to think, we had once been close. It's sad to think that this is what has become of our friendship. This is why I have no best friend. For me, a best friend is not meant to be temporary, lasting only as long as you're in the same school. It is to last beyond that.

For me, at my middle school, which was had a decent amount of money, people were wealthier than me and my 2 friends. And thus, a friendship was born. We were able to identify with each other more quickly and be more honest about our financial situation. One of my friends even commented that she would never show anyone from our school, besides us, where she lived. It is because her house would be so small and so inferior compared to there's. Those kids would bring hundreds of dollars with them to school on a daily basis. However, I later, did have some friends who were wealthier, although we were not as close as my other friends.

My friends are mostly Asian, which is the race I partly am. I only have 2 white friends now, I believe. Most of them are Filipino. But a little more than half of my friends are guys, as I find them easier to get along with and befriend. None of the gossip or catfights girls have. ;) Gossip runs rampant among girls, and not so much with guys. And, my friends pretty much have the same personality attributes, but different interests, except one. She's different, and she's one of my closest friends. we have totally different morals, different ways of living, different ways of dealing with things, waaay different personalities, different stances on issues. You get the idea. We're are completely and utterly different and i have no idea how i became friends with her, but i am glad.

Anyways, thats the end of my post, and dont worry, Mrs. Sark, I like reading through long posts :smiley:

For me, it was hard to make friends, when my dad was working for the railroad, and when his job was transferred to another town. I had to leave my old friends, behind. When we settled here. I made a lot of friends.

Middle School

7th grade- Antoinette (We called her "Tony" for short) Sharon, Joe, John.
8th grade- Peter, Gigi, Linda.

High school

9th grade- Tony, Sharon, Joe, John.
10th grade- Peter, Gigi, Linda.
11th grade- Donna, Loretta.

And now...I've seen few of my friends. Half of them are married, and have kids. :sigh:

Peter- I see him once in a while, walking around in town.
Sharon- I talk to her once in a while...waiting for the city bus. (I notices, an Alias billboard sign on the bus. :woot:)
Tony- She moved to another state :(
Gigi- Has two small kids. (I don't think she's married) When we were in high school...I was sooo happy when she shoved a bully girl in a locker. That bully girl was mean to everyone in that school. :blink:
Linda- I don't even see her anymore.
Joe- I don't see him anymore.
Loretta- I seen her once in a while.
Donna- I've seen her once in a while.

My friends were mostly Caucasian, and African-American.
Joe was an African-American, and the rest were caucasian. (We were a pretty good group) We all had the same interests, and my closest friend would be...Peter. People thought we look like brother and sisters. :blink:

I've known my best friend for 12 years. We don't actually have so many similar interests which is a bit weird. But I really believe that we'll be very good friends always, no matter where life takes us.

My friends are all female. I don't why but I really don't have any male friends, if I don't count my boyfriend in.

I know what you mean suzi!! the minute you go to college it really clarifies who are you friends and who just liked you because you were 'there'. When you are at 6thform or high school you have loads of friends because you see them everyday the minute that that changes so does your friendships.

I mean i dont have any friends that i have known longer then 5-6 years (im 18) apart from hayley, but then shes my twin so that doesnt count :lol: but seriously my best friends are Katie, jo, kim, claire and dean. Katie is my best friend in the world because i can not see her for like 3 months and then we can go to the pub and talk for 3 hours straight. our friendship hasnt changed one bit whereas with other people i went to 6th form with i havent spoken to them at all since we left. When i saw one of my friends, its nice to see that she has adopted this stuck up attitude just because she goes to Oxford, and im like "when did your nose get pushed like 2 inches upwards??"

if you are really friends with these people you dont need to maintain a friendship because it should already exist and not devolve as you get older. ;)

well thats what i think anyway!! and thats a little long soz!! :P

I don't have lots of old friends for 2 reasons: they moved or they changed (or I changed) so much that we don't have a connexion anymore.

Elementary school:
5th grade:-Sophie (she went to another school. Now she's a mommy but I don't talk to her)
4th to 7th grade:-Patricia (we stop being friends in 8th grade because she changed too much. She was Polish)

High school:
elementary school + 7th and 8th grade:-Annie (she was doing drugs and she didn't care about anybody. she's a mommy now)
8th grade:-Julie (same reasons)
9th to 11th grade:-Caroline (I stop talking to her a year ago because she was too self-centered)
10th and 11th:-Stephanie (she moved very far)
11th grade:-Anne-Marie (she moved too)
11th grade:-Dominic (he moved very far)

My oldest friends, I know them since 8th grade (9 years ago). We don't share the same interests but it's ok for me. We respect each others.

i've known my best friend for 15 years now but we haven't always been best friends. hotpot is right in saying that you only have certain frieends for a certain period of your life, and it is sad. when i was university i made so many surface good friends but they don't last. they share what you are going through at that time but ultimately they fade away. (n)
however i have a group of friends that i have been friends with for 12 years now and we share everything, happiness and sadness.we don't remotely share the same interests. a couple of them are very sex and the city, into fashion, cocktails and glamourous parties, whereas i would prefer to spend the entire night watching alias, buffy etc..we are a complete mix of races. Black carribean, african, french greek-cypriot, phillipino, english, welsh. it's great.they are really supportive in everything (annoyingly not my obsession with alias.hmmm! maybe i should dump them all) and we have never had any major arguements which is amazing considering we are all girls. we unfortunately went to private girl's school and therefore have no difficulties making friends with other girls, i know that loads of girls do have trouble being mates with girls cos ultimately we gossip, about everything and for some people that doesn't stop with their friends.
i find it easy to get on with blokes but most of them have tried to get off with me at least once. in general i couldn't live without my friends, cos FRIENDSHIP RULES. (y)

hotpot said:
Being away at college has made me realize - that there are some friends that are only with you for a certain time in your life and when that time is over, so is the friendship. It's sad, but it's the truth.

I also have found it is very hard to be friends with girls around my age. In person at least, most girls I know won't hesitate to talk about you behind your back the minute it's turned.

Also, a lot of girls my age tend to be all about 'the drama.' I cannot stand that. I could care less about your name dropping, boy you got on, what this girl said to you at a party, how drunk you were, this and that funny thing that happened when so and so did this - GAH!! I think that is a huge sign it's time for me to graduate and move on from college - I am over all of that!
That is exactly why I have very few female friends. ;)

It is just so annoying really, all these chicks that I have to work with all they do is gossip and talk about their boyfriends...heaven forefend someone try to start an intelligent conversation!

My best friend of 15 years is a male and we have nothing in common at all other then the same sense of humor. It is just funny how things like that work out.

God my friendships are too complicated to go through now....they change every so often. But i do have three friends who I seem to have known forever and they are my best friends.....
E-J, Sharon and Jenni! I will post the full list of all the friends I've ever had when I am not trying to eat chinese food at the computer!! lol

My best friends are the ones I see once or twice a year, if that. They're my friends in Cincinnati. Lindsey, Megan, Erica, Kaitlyn, and Alli. I've known lindsey since second grade, megan and kaitlyn since third, and alli since fourth. ^_^

I've made friends here in Nebraska, but they're all so dramatic and we're not really that close. I could move to alaska tomorrow and I wouldn't really miss any of them. -_-

all my friends are white and fairly wealthy due to the fact that my parents send me to catholic schools that are like 95% white.

I tend not to discuss wealth with my friends, because I know I may offend some people. I don't really know what "class" of htat sort they are in. I go to a private school. I remember meeting a random public school girl at a dance I went to. She said to me (after I had mentioned where I went to school), "So is everyone there, like, really really rich?" She also made some nasty comment about lesbians (I go to an all-girls school). I told her, No, not everyone is super rich. And then again, No, there are about the same amount of lesbians at my school as at yours.

I'm often stuck in friend-politics. For example, I can't invite this friend on Sunday because I already have So-and-So coming. But I love my friends. It's just hard because some of them loathe each other for reasons beyond me. The worst part is when one friend rants about the other... to me. It's as if they want me to stand there and agree with their every word. One time, taht girl actually wrote an angry poem about my other friend (who is sort of short). It said something like, "I'm not going to let... that little girl walk all over me." I was really mad, and she was ticked off at me for a day or two. She's very controlling. On the other hand, my other friend has a very different approach: she ignores the problem. She avoids both the person herself and discussion of her. If I start talking to the other girl, she'll walk away so as to not have to share the same square yard with her. It's tough... And there is no way I'm going to choose sides. Arg! :mellow:

Alias Anna said:
I'm often stuck in friend-politics. For example, I can't invite this friend on Sunday because I already have So-and-So coming. But I love my friends. It's just hard because some of them loathe each other for reasons beyond me. The worst part is when one friend rants about the other... to me. It's as if they want me to stand there and agree with their every word. One time, taht girl actually wrote an angry poem about my other friend (who is sort of short). It said something like, "I'm not going to let... that little girl walk all over me." I was really mad, and she was ticked off at me for a day or two. She's very controlling. On the other hand, my other friend has a very different approach: she ignores the problem. She avoids both the person herself and discussion of her. If I start talking to the other girl, she'll walk away so as to not have to share the same square yard with her. It's tough... And there is no way I'm going to choose sides. Arg! :mellow:
Argh, good to know I'm not the only one who goes through this. This is why, for birthdays and stuff, I can't have all of my friends in one place. Certain friends of mine don't like the others, and at times, they will trash talk each other. I just try to polietely remind them that the other person is also my friend, and that she/he's really not that bad.

Alias Anna said:
I go to a private school. "So is everyone there, like, really really rich?" She also made some nasty comment about lesbians (I go to an all-girls school). I told her, No, not everyone is super rich. And then again, No, there are about the same amount of lesbians at my school as at yours.
oh god I get that all the time. I go to a small, private Convent all girls school in the countryside near buckingham (Thorton College -if anyone has heard of it). Everyone I meet thinks that everyone is going to be a lesbian! Its gets really annoying!! And posh and stuck up. People think that I want to be a nun as well which I don't. Oh well, s**t happens!! lol. I also fins that if you make friends online their always much more real than other friends. Mainly because you know if they have any random obsessions like Alias. Also everyone on here is an Alias fan so i can talk to you guys whereas my friends walk away if I talk about Alias. lol

yeah i have that problem too. in general i ahve three groups of friends. the ones i have known for ages, the ones from university and the ones that i go out with most often.(that i wouldn't trust for the world) trying to get them all in one room is ridiculous cos they all have issues with at least one other person from the other group. it's so boring to be in the middle that i just end up celebrating stuff 2 or 3 times to save my ears from bleeding. :angry:
I go to a private school. I remember meeting a random public school girl at a dance I went to. She said to me (after I had mentioned where I went to school), "So is everyone there, like, really really rich?" She also made some nasty comment about lesbians (I go to an all-girls school). I told her, No, not everyone is super rich. And then again, No, there are about the same amount of lesbians at my school as at yours.

had that same issue as well. 1. i am most definitely NOT rich, just priveleged and 2. why would there be anymore lesbians in my school, than yours. :confused: it's not like at the age of 11, several girls with lesbian tendencies decided to gang together in a private girls school. duh!! i have to admit there were actually a fair few in my school but they weren't actual lesbians just silly horny bints with no boys around. :P

I also fins that if you make friends online their always much more real than other friends. Mainly because you know if they have any random obsessions like Alias. Also everyone on here is an Alias fan so i can talk to you guys whereas my friends walk away if I talk about Alias. lol

i concur. even though i have only been on here for a short while you can talk to people on here in great depth about anything, and they listen. my friends also look extremely bored when i talk about alias. :angry: tried to get them to come to the convention with me but they weren't having any of it. i don't care. :P

im going to an all girls school next year. i just got my acceptance letter! I was, and am still happy. My best friend and I got in. Yesterday i had a realli bad day tho because my best friend and i arent friends any more. She told me... that she needed "new friends" what ever the hell thats supposed to mean. She realli hurt my feelings and i feel yucky. lol i sound like a whining little kid. The to top it all some b**** posted something that realli hurt my feeling in my fanfic thread... so i pmed mysterychick to close it. I really need friends right now. lol i feel like everything that i ever had that was good is slipping away.... cept for alias of course! these few eppys have been good!! And i have everyone her at AA not that i know anyone realli yet but it helps to post here because i feel... wanted. well enough moping, dont wanna destroy the friends thread!! ^_^
~Jules

All my best friends are guys and in a way I still feel way more confortable being around guys.Chris is my bf and my best friends sence kindergarden,Jonathan, he has been my surfing partne,rock music dude,work coligue (Cleaning horse stable every saturday for the whole day) :P and I have like two other best friends.

We share alot in common,music,sports and lost of things.We studie together (almost never) we make pranks for teachers and oteh people and we always team up.

And when I get drunk :lol: they help me out.Once I literally got wasted while drinking 11 BIG cups with coca-cola in a huge Halloween party and they helped me out.All I ever did the whole night was dance and laugh at anything.I even singed KAREOKEE :blink: They said I singed,"Hit me baby one more time" and I HATE that song.Jonathan took me by the hand and sat me and I was sooooooooo sleepy cause it was 1am.But I still kept partying till 2am.And it was a birthday party for goodness sake,but It was sooooo good.

Anyway I have lots of friends.And all that matters is that we help eachother out even if some of see Alias and dont like it :madfire: they defend it :P .

And I have some REAL close friends through online like:

Kristi,G-defenedly one of the best persons Ive ever met :P

nance-defenedly a very good friend and I really care for her ^_^

there are too many :P Ill post it later :D

Back