gonna try roleplaying?

volune

Cadet
Ive played a lot of mmorpgs over the years and i never once felt compelled to rollplay. either the worlds didnt inspire it, or the gameplay didnt.

I find that im gonna give roleplaying a shot in HJ. i dont think im gonna speak in olde english, but i could have fun keeping in character.

anyone else gonna give roleplaying a try for HJ?

I never found the right situation in an mmorpg to actually Roleplay... <_<

But I feel a bit different about Hero's Journey, they have a story line for everything.. And it all flows pretty well.

If you didn't notice..
They even have story lines about Travel and the way the worlds are set and the different sceneries. :lol:

And the zombies! :blink:

I think roleplaying adds to the game providing some more realism but most games no one seems to do it, so i have never had the chance to actually roleplay and not feel out of place.

The problem with most MMORPG's out there is that the content is static. Very little changes in the way of a storyline. The way most game companies think is "about the next expansion". And those new expansions simply add more content and more stories, but they never really progress the current stories that they have.

One of the highlights with HJ is there are teams of GM's and Developers which will be not only constantly adding new content, but progressing storylines. That really allows players to become more emersed in the game, which in turn allows for more creativity and role playing. I think HJ will be a great medium for role players to actually come and RP in a graphical environment which changes and grows along with them.

Okay, time for me to get back to work. Catchya's!

I have roleplayed on occasion in other games and plan to play on a roleplaying server in HJ if they have one. Even if they don't, I am really excited about the roleplaying opportunities in HJ and plan to give it a go. :D

One thing I think helps is to sketch out your character's personality on paper. What are his or her likes and dislikes? What sort of person is that character? How could they be expected to behave in certain situations? That is something I am working on for several characters I have in mind to pass the time while I wait for the game to release.

Possibly, I haven't roleplayed for soooo long. I know what you mean though- I remember playing mmorpg's and never got that into it and felt like rp'ing ;p but I'll give it a try

I think my sister is one of the biggest roleplayers I know.

But she doesn't play mmorpgs.

She roleplays on AIM or Gaia with her friends. (What a weirdo!) But I'm pretty sure I have her convinced to try HJ.

I keep thinking that HJ is going to be -The Game- for anyone who really enjoys roleplaying. And even those who don't roleplay, or that think it is stupid, will be slowly changing into roleplayers. Some will try to stay ooc, just to be "cool and different" and probably "leet"

But us roleplayers, well we'll be having the most fun, and we'll know we're truly the leet players of Hero's Journey.. And we'll of course all be different.
Except weird-os who make their guild all dress exactly the same so you know who they are. Which I'm sure will happen. And might be kinda cool, if they roleplay it.. and not just try to be.. well you know.

Except weird-os who make their guild all dress exactly the same so you know who they are. Which I'm sure will happen. And might be kinda cool, if they roleplay it.. and not just try to be.. well you know.

Hey... I was going to do that...
Except it wasn't exactly the same.. It was going to be our guild colors and whatever we wanted to look like.

Like super ninjas! :Ph34r:

:blink:

Originally posted by HJ-Rowell@Mar 12 2006, 10:01 PM
The problem with most MMORPG's out there is that the content is static. Very little changes in the way of a storyline. The way most game companies think is "about the next expansion". And those new expansions simply add more content and more stories, but they never really progress the current stories that they have.

One of the highlights with HJ is there are teams of GM's and Developers which will be not only constantly adding new content, but progressing storylines. That really allows players to become more emersed in the game, which in turn allows for more creativity and role playing. I think HJ will be a great medium for role players to actually come and RP in a graphical environment which changes and grows along with them.

Okay, time for me to get back to work. Catchya's!
Guess what? I've always said that, and I've always asked people hte question.. Name one game where the world wasn't static. No one can answer.

I can name one MMORPG that wasn't static, and role playing existed by EVERYONE. Laugh at me, but its the truth. Matrix Online. Who would have guessed?

I was part of the Merovingian faction. We were once brought into an abandoned hotel by a GM playing the Frenchmen, and were ordered to assassinate a few of the other zionist faction leaders. That was insanely fun. People actually had body guards, and alliances were formed based on what people belived in the game.

I plan to try and roleplay. I've never done so in earlier mmos, but only because the communty and environments never seemed to foster such things (more like grind, grind, grind... and a little pvp). As others have already said, it looks like Hero's Journey will definately support roleplaying, in a bunch of different ways. You look different from everyone else, and thats certainly a plus. The "army of GMs" should help out nicely as well. Only thing I'm curious about is roleplaying the nemesis system. I can just imagine a group of people, each waving their fists angrily in the air and finding that all of their group members just so happen to have an archnemesis as well (its not like they'll share the same archnemesis either).

One other thing, about the speaking of middle english that the original poster implied. There is absolutely no need to speak in shakespearean english while roleplaying. Even during the time period it was spoken, it was extremely uncommon - only nobility and clergy spoke like that, if they chose to speak that way at all. My advice is to speak however the NPCs of your race speak in the game. I'm fairly certain they won't use "ye olde english" either. =p

In conclusion, I'm definately pumped for doing some roleplaying in this game. Once some more of the game lore is released, I think we should do some roleplaying on the forums. Its an awesome way to pass the time, and also gives you a good foundation to build off of when the game comes out. I'm on one other game forum, and we seriously had a game related roleplay that consisted of more than 80 pages. The developers were so impressed they're considering adding it to the game lore. Anyone else up for some forum roleplay once some more lore is released?

Originally posted by volund@Mar 13 2006, 02:45 PM
I plan to try and roleplay. I've never done so in earlier mmos, but only because the communty and environments never seemed to foster such things (more like grind, grind, grind... and a little pvp). As others have already said, it looks like Hero's Journey will definately support roleplaying, in a bunch of different ways. You look different from everyone else, and thats certainly a plus. The "army of GMs" should help out nicely as well. Only thing I'm curious about is roleplaying the nemesis system. I can just imagine a group of people, each waving their fists angrily in the air and finding that all of their group members just so happen to have an archnemesis as well (its not like they'll share the same archnemesis either).

One other thing, about the speaking of middle english that the original poster implied. There is absolutely no need to speak in shakespearean english while roleplaying. Even during the time period it was spoken, it was extremely uncommon - only nobility and clergy spoke like that, if they chose to speak that way at all. My advice is to speak however the NPCs of your race speak in the game. I'm fairly certain they won't use "ye olde english" either. =p

In conclusion, I'm definately pumped for doing some roleplaying in this game. Once some more of the game lore is released, I think we should do some roleplaying on the forums. Its an awesome way to pass the time, and also gives you a good foundation to build off of when the game comes out. I'm on one other game forum, and we seriously had a game related roleplay that consisted of more than 80 pages. The developers were so impressed they're considering adding it to the game lore. Anyone else up for some forum roleplay once some more lore is released?
I couldn't agree more with that statement. Not only on how I'm going to conduct myself in HJ, but about some misconceptions about role-playing.

I SHALL BE KING OF ROLEPLAYERS omg Ima make up history like MAD i often write in character books about my characters History.. Why they are where they are! even include others. Itsmy dream to do so and have other participate. Writing their own books to MESH TOGETHER LIKE A MEATY HUNK OF... MESHING... GOODNESS!

>.>

You may be king of the roleplayers, but I shall be your god!

Yeah, I could see myself RPing in this game...

And now I have another God to compete with (In the context of strangeness)

Originally posted by Apollo@Mar 17 2006, 02:26 AM
>.>

You may be king of the roleplayers, but I shall be your god!

Yeah, I could see myself RPing in this game...

And now I have another God to compete with (In the context of strangeness)
I'm sorry, but you guys have forgotten about Aries. He/she ..whatever... will dominate all of you!

I remember being a semi RPer in Everquest. I played a bard, like really played a bard, I made ditties, songs, and poems about the party members, situation, mob we were killing...everything. It gets pretty hard when you're constantly twisting at least 4 songs :lol:

But yeah, I can definitely see myself RPing in this game.

(Eeewww Gaia, I used to go there, getting gold by selling art commisions, the RPing there was very very sad, but they introduced a dice system recently...I don't think it'll help though.

The way they RP is like....

PersonA: *wacks you* now you die!
PersonB: *dodges godily* pheer mi! *proseeds 2 pwn*
PersonA: Nu uh~! I'm 1/2 elven, 1/2 dragon, 1/2 unicorn, 1/2 god so you can't do that! *uses finger of death*
PersonB: *dodges godily* pheer mi! *proseeds 2 pwn*

Yes so...

Yeah, semi-RP is a good word for it. :smiley: I did what I could in EQ, but the way the game was structured made it hard for any RPer who didn't have a g'normous ability to suspend disbelief.

It looks like HJ will be more supportive of RP, so I'll give it my best shot.

P.S. This made me burst out laughing "I'm 1/2 elven, 1/2 dragon, 1/2 unicorn, 1/2 god so you can't do that! *uses finger of death*"...thank you :D

Most of the games out there do not lend themselves to role play. While everyone is out there trying to level all you see on the chats are "lvl 323" "wtg" etc etc etc...... That has always been one of my biggest disapointments with gaming. But it looks to me like HJ is about role playing. I can't wait to get started.

I might try to roleplay. But my roleplaying would probably be that of an average guy who is...not special...so...my rping will sound like I do in RL

I think everyone will be trying role-playing figuring they are playing Hero's Journey. I belive when the game gets released the people wont role play that much, but as time progresses and people see the benefit of role playing (GM buffs, etc.) they will start too.

Back