I Hate Hamlet

sydney565

Cadet
Has anyone seen or heard of this play? My school's going to be putting on this production and I'd like to find out more about it.

Shakespearian english does kind of suck the first time I read it. But the message of the play should not be lost simply due to its method of delivery.

The plot of Hamlet goes a little something like this:

Hamlet, returning home upon his father’s death, learns that his uncle, Claudius, has married his mother, Gertrude, and has assumed the throne of Denmark. The ghost of his father appears before Hamlet, claiming it was Claudius who killed him and urges the Prince to avenge his death. The clever Prince feigns madness in an effort to test Claudius’ guilt but, in the meantime, overwhelms the woman he loves, the fair Ophelia. Hamlet convinces a visiting troupe of actors to engage in a performance with a plot that resembles the events of his father’s death. Claudius’ violent reaction to the performance convinces Hamlet that he indeed murdered his father.

Hamlet goes to his mother’s bedchamber and proceeds to accuse her of complicity. He hears a noise from behind a tapestry in the chamber, and stabs his sword through the fabric, only to find it is Ophelia’s father, Polonius, he has slain. Agitated, Claudius sends Hamlet to England with a letter. Hamlet is unaware that the letter calls for his own execution.

Ophelia, driven mad by both Hamlet’s actions and her father’s death, drowns herself. Her brother Laertes vows vengeance on Hamlet and, with Claudius, plots the Prince’s death. At Ophelia’s funeral Laertes challenges Hamlet to a duel, but the plot goes awry—Gertrude is mistakenly poisoned. As Laertes dies of wounds inflicted during the duel, he reveals to the wounded Hamlet the murderous plot. Hamlet summons the strength to kill Claudius, and then himself dies in the arms of his friend Horatio. In the final scene, Norwegian Prince Fortinbras arrives with soldiers to take command of Denmark.

I have studied Hamlet so many times I thought I would go mad. In my final year of high school I did a six month English unit just on Hamlet. The I got to university and had to study it again. And then we studied Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, which is a play about two of the characters from Hamlet.

Watch the Kenneth Branagh movie version if you can get a hold of it. It's a little long, but it's probably the easiest to understand.

i had to read it for a class. i thought the ending was the funniest thing ever. people just die, drop off left and right. i thought it was hilarious. i hope that doesn't make me a bad person. :smiley:

m-c

Back