I went... I waited and then I saw JOHN!

My John Mayer concert Review.

Okay so basically this is going to be really long but it's be really good cause' I
have alot of stuff to tell.

Two nights ago I went to a John Mayer concert with 4 friends(Allie, Kim and 2 Stephanies.Well my 4 friends and I left for Grand Rapids at about 1:30. Allie brought along some SUPER bright (lol like we're talkin NEON yellow and orange, baby!) posterboard to make posters on the way there. We couldn't make up our mind on what to write, so we cut up one into 5 pieces and wrote a letter on each one to make up "We (heart) JM". On the other two, we put "John, please play 'Comfortable'" (an AWESOME song that we all like) and "John, shake your tail feather!". ahahahaha

We went to the mall and spent most of the day roaming around there. some black
It was about 5:45 when we pulled up to the Van Andel Arena. The doors opened at 6, but there really wasn't many people there waiting. We were the 3rd people in the gates! BOO YAH! Right when we got inside, we busted over to the merch booth. I got a white shirt with "John Mayer and Counting Crows--US Tour '03" on it and all the tourdates on the back. There were stacks of these little card thingys with John's pic on them and some info on the new album on the back. We distracted the lady and then shoved like a huge handful in my friends purse...muahaha!

After that, we went in the black tunnel where all the floor seating was. haha I felt like a freakin V.I.P! lol. We found our seats, which were like 24 rows back but honestly seemed MUCH closer. We were shocked...John would soon be standing feet away from us. Ahhh! So after sitting there in our seats for awhile, watching the place fill up, some guy comes up to us. He looked like a security guard so we were a little confused. He's like "Hey, can I see whats on those posters?". We're like "Uhm...sure" and showed him. He's like "Oh, cool! Well I'm from John's website and do you think I could get a picture of you girls holding your signs to put on the site?". We about died..lol it was SCOTTY! (aka: The writer of the road journals on johnmayer.com and also John's really close friend) After he took the picture, we thanked him and he walked away. So we sat there for awhile longer and watched Scotty roam around by himself....so we thought we should go talk to him again. lol So my friend and I walked up to him and she said "So, you're Scotty right" and he's like "Yeeeeep!". So we talked to him a little bit about meeting Johnny, Local 83..etc. He was SUPER nice and friendly. He told us to enjoy the show and we went back to our seats. Then the lights began to dim (but the place still was pretty empty) and out of nowhere....JOHN appears on stage! Can you say, COMPLETE surprise?! He talked for a few minutes about the opening guy (I wish I could remember his name....hm). John was like "This guy is SO badass. He kicks my ass. My arrogant, arrogant ass." lol what a guy!

The opener guy was really good. His style and songs reminded me alot of Johns. He played about 6/7 songs and then the lights all came back on and some SUPER annoying disco music started playing over the speakers. Ahh! After waiting for what it seemed like forever, the Counting Crows finally came on. I thought they were alright, but I think you really gotta be a big fan of theirs to fully appreciate them. The only song I knew of theirs was "Big Yellow Taxi" so we sat down for most of their performance (we knew we'd be on our feet for John's entire set!).

After they finished there was another long (but not as long as the first one) break. Then the lights went down and John started strumming. The spotlight shone on him and Dela chimed in...they were jammin! He did a quick intro and then talked awhile about the new album. He said "I don't get to say this very often, but I've got a new album comin out!". My friend can record voice notes on her cellphone, so she has got that recorded now. haha! He also kept saying that his new album "sucks negative" instead of "doesn't suck". lol! Then he jumped right in to "Neon". It was GORGEOUS. ahh! After that, he played "Somethings Missing" which is an awesome song. He did this really cool ending to it and added in stuff like "they made fun of me in hiiiiigh school, but now look who's on the TV screen..." haha I was like "YEEEEEAHHH! Go John!". Then he announced Dela and the rest of the gang. I don't remember the order of the rest of the songs in John's set, but I know Scotty will have that up in the road journal in a couple days. I do know that he played (in no order) "3x5", "Why Georgia", "Your Body Is A Wonderland" (which everyone around us began making out...barf), "My Stupid Mouth", "Come Back To Bed" (I LOVE this song!), "No Such Thing", and "Bigger Than My Body" (the new single...ahh its freakin AWESOME. Honestly, it's gotta be one of my new favorites.). For some of the outros for the songs, he added in little covers of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and "Can't Always Get What Ya Want". hahah it was great! After "3x5" he had this big long speel of how he is a "shining beacon of hypocracy". hahaha.

Also, at random times while John was playing, my friends & I took turns pushing up to the front to get some up-close pictures. We got yelled at by security EVERY time, but it was well worth the awesome shots we got of him. During his last song, they had the lights shining on the crowd, so we held up our "John, please play Comfortable" poster. He was TOTALLY reading it. It was super obvious because he was squinting and leaning forward trying to read it. lol the audience in front of us then ALL whipped around to see what he was looking at. Muahaha. After saying like 9 million thank yous, he made his way offstage.

Of course though, everyone cheered like madness and soon Johnny was back! He put on this adorable navy blue hoodie with a little American flag on it. He said that the next song would be dedicated to his friend who was fighting overseas in Afghanistan. The song was "St. Patricks Day" and let me tell ya...it was beautiful. He really put alot of emotion in it and it made me want to cry. After that, he played "83". Then more thank yous, waves, and a big bow...we made his way offstage.

I was in COMPLETE awe. How can one guy be so talented and passionate about playing music? And I just saw that guy LIVE? It was unreal! My friends and I just kinda sat there in our seats watching everyone file out. After seeing no signs of either John or Scotty, we decided to head out back by the tour busses. Well apparantly more than just us had that idea because there was quite a crowd gathered. We waited for awhile and saw Dela talking on his cellphone outside the bus. Then Scotty came out from the arena to get in the bus. Being dumb, we all yelled "We love Scotty!". He looked up kinda confused and then looked at us and waved and smiled. haha! We then had to leave due to anxious parents so we headed home.

Wow, what an amazing evening.....*sigh*....

~Emily~

(Thanks to my friend Allie for some of the review stuff)

Em it was soooooooooo fun! My feet were killin me when I got home but it was worth it! When I was getting out of the van you guys were like "See you in school!" "Bye!" "We love you!" It was a blast.

I'm glad you had fun. My feet were killin' me too. Once we moved up though I could see better. The lady in front of me was getting really annoyed because I was singing and screaming so loud. I just about freaked out when that guard told me to go back to the seat when I went up front to get a really close picture of John. He's like: "are you authorized to be up here?" I go "no" and then I ran. :woot: :woot: It was so awsome.

he's a great new Artist....just download some of his music...John Mayer...

but another great artist who I would like to see in concert even more so than John Mayer is Jason Mraz! His music is great

After we moved, the lady next to me kept bumping into me! I was like "ugh! Can't you move over a little!" (not out loud obviously)

Running from security was probably one of the stupidest things I have ever done but I loved it.

The opener for John was : David Ryan Harris. :woot: :woot:

Back