Just One Kiss

SkyGirl5

Cadet
Ok so I'm gonna be busy tomorrow morning and i dont wanna wait and post this till tomorrow after noon because... i'm me ;)

justonekiss.jpg

Title: Just One Kiss
Genre: S/V AU
Summary: I got the idea for this fic while watching My Best Friend's Wedding - so the plot is similar but I've put a few little interesting additions into it and of course the ending well... you'll have to see ;)

just fyi - 25 chaps + epilogue

Chapter 1
Sydney Bristow groaned at the annoying, shrill ring of her cell phone. She was already juggling her purse, her briefcase, a file folder full of her latest article and a frappaccino from Starbucks. Digging in her purse for her phone would surely prove disastrous, but she was waiting for a call from her editor which was imperative so, she had no choice but to answer. Pausing at the nearest telephone booth on the crowded streets of New York City, she set down her styrophome cup, tucked the file folder under her arm and wedged the brief case between herself and the phone booth so she could dig through the messy contents of her purse. Already, this was a horrible day. However, the moment she saw the caller ID on her phone she smiled and her day brightened immediately. It was her absolute best friend in the whole world, Michael Vaughn.

“Hey you,” she answer the phone, her voice light and chipper.

“Hey loser did you get a real job yet?” he said, his voice clearly teasing her. He loved pushing her buttons more than anything.

“Oh, I see we’re just as snarky as ever,” she said smiling broadly even though she knew he couldn’t see her.

“You know it.” He laughed. “Seriously, how are you?”

“Well, I’m a bit frazzled at the moment to tell you the truth.” She sighed.

“Frazzled? Oh no! I don’t like my Sydney frazzled. I like her medium rare.”

“Ha. Ha. So how are you Mr.-I-haven’t-called-in-two-whole-weeks-leaving-my-pitiful-best-friend-abandonded?”

“Hey!” He exclaimed with a laugh. “I did not abandon you.”

“Uh huh,” she said, sounding unconvinced.

“I didn’t!” He insisted.

“Right, I see you were just too busy wooing millions of single women.”

“Exactly,” he laughed.

“So, what do I owe the honor of this call?”

“Well Syd... we need to talk,” he said sounding very serious.

For a moment, Sydney was taken aback by his tone for her best friend was hardly ever serious, but she recovered quickly. “Oh no, Michael, are you breaking up with me?! Whatever shall I do without your monthly calls?!” she said, trying to sound very distraught.

“I call more than that and you know it. But seriously we need to talk,” he told her.

“Well, unfortunately, now is a horrible time for me. I’m running late, I need to turn in my article, and I’m about to kill my editor. Can we talk maybe this evening?”

“Absolutely Syd, what time would be good for you?” he asked.

“How about seven? That will give me enough time to toss my hair, throw on some JLo perfume, and pull that sexy teddy out of the back of my closet...”

He laughed. “You are one sick puppy Bristow.”

“Yeah but you love me,” she sighed.

“You’re right, I do. Tonight. Seven.” He repeated their plans.

“Ciao,” she said before hanging up the phone. She tossed her phone back in her purse, rearranged the items she was carrying back into their original positions, and dashed down the steps to the subway. She managed to squeeze perfectly in the doors before they closed and the train departed.

Once inside, she collapsed into an empty seat and sighed with relief. She was not going to be late turning in her article after all and to make things even better she had another call from Michael to look forward to later that evening.

Sydney was twenty eight and had permanently moved to the city six years earlier after graduating from NYU. Her intention at that point in time was to become Broadway’s next big thing. But, after her acting career had lasted a whole five seconds she fell back onto plan B: write the next great novel of the 21st century. Unfortunately, novels didn’t write themselves over night and living in New York City was expensive, so she had to find a job for the meantime.

After searching and searching, she finally settled for writing articles for a New York architecture magazine. It bored her to tears and she loathed it but hey, at least it was still writing. She also wrote a few freelance articles here and there to pick up extra cash. Still, she barely made enough to cover the rent on her hole in the wall on the 30th floor which she shared with two other women: Francie, the struggling singer and Amaretta, the struggling photographer. But after five years of coffee stains, late nights and slaving through rough draft after rough draft, Sydney had finally finished her novel and found an editor willing to read it. That was the phone call she was nervously waiting for, her editors verdict on her novel.

As for Michael, well, he was simply her best friend. They had never been anything more than friends and somehow that worked for them.

Sydney and Michael grew up in the small town of Huntsville, Pennsylvania. It was located in the north east corner of the state, only about an hour and a half outside New York City. They had lived there their whole lives but only met in the 8th grade at a mutual friend’s pool party. That was the beginning of their friendship. Sydney began hanging out at Michael’s house every day after school. Since Sydney’s mother died when she was only eight years old, Michael’s mother, Amelia, became like a surrogate mother to her and Sydney and Michael became like siblings.

During their 11th grade year of high school Sydney and Michael had a huge fight over something they no longer remembered and they didn’t speak for almost four months, but after they reconciled they continued being best friend from that day on. They comforted each other through breakups, watched hockey games together, even shopped together on occasion. Mostly though, they talked. They would talk for hours on end and never grow tired of each other’s voices.

When they both attended NYU, they grew even closer since they were all each other had in a big city full of eight million strangers. They had even shared an awkward, drunken kiss on a dare which had only seemed to reaffirm the fact that they were just friends and would never be anything more. After graduation, Michael moved back to Huntsville with his degree in marketing and took a job in larger city near their home town while Sydney stayed back in New York.

Since they had been separated they hadn’t seen each other as frequently as they would have liked but, they still managed to get together a few times a year along with their much more frequent phone calls. Still, Sydney missed her best friend very much.

The subway jolted to a stop and Sydney collected her things before rushing out the doors and up the stairs, back out onto the busy sidewalk. She skidded into the magazine’s office with only two minutes to spare on her deadline. “Here,” she smiled as she handed her article to the editor.

“Almost late again Bristow,” the editor sighed.

“Yes but I was almost late.” Sydney smiled proudly.

Unamused, the editor gave her a stern glance. “Your next assignment is in your mailbox,” he sighed before walking away.

“Great,” she groaned as she grabbed it and then headed back out the door.

Great start.
I can't wait to see where you take this story. It should be interesting...
I wonder what Vaughn has to tell Sydney.. I hope it's not something bad

Thanks for the pm! Keep me on the list!!

YAY :D

PM me pwease!

Love it so far. MBFW is one of my favourite moovies and you're one of my favorite writers so...... I CANT WAIT!!!! (y)

Aly xx :angelnot:

When they both attended NYU, they grew even closer since they were all each other had in a big city full of eight million strangers. They had even shared an awkward, drunken kiss on a dare which had only seemed to reaffirm the fact that they were just friends and would never be anything more
i dont think i like the sound of that. :thinking:
i really like it so far.

oh, and hugh laurie!!!! *dies* I LOVE hugh laurie & house!!!
thanks for the pm.
-kait
:Ph34r:

edit: look at me..i was too busy staring at hugh that i forgot to ask for a pm!
can i get a pm?! thankies!

25 chapters plus an epilogue.
At least the angst won't last unbearably long.
I know you have some angst planned.
If this is anywhere near MBFW, there will definitely be angst.
But, you better have SV together at the end.

Back