Kids

Well?

• Total voters
And that is a very good thing. But you're old enough to use it as inspiration. I think when they're in their formative years you don't know which way that could go.

Well yeah, I guess. I'm not talking toddler, though. If they're really young, you can't tell how they're going to take it. I'm talking maybe 6 years old, five at the youngest. And that's only if the person talking to them is someone their own age, and they're clearly joking.

...only if the person talking to them is someone their own age, and they're clearly joking.

That definately happens. They're gonna hear it in school, amongst friends etc regardless. But you know, that's part of the whole 'kinder; gentler' nation thing is coming into play.

There was a fight at school the other day. Bunch of 5th graders decided to beat on a bunch of 3rd graders for kicks during recess. Along with the 5th graders who started it the 3rd graders that fought back were suspended. The 3rd graders who walked away were acknowledge with their names posted on the in school tv system etc.

Needless to say I would've been suspended.

Looks like Div fell asleep.

On the subject of whacking imaginary kids:

For me, nothing's sacred in a game. If I were playing a necromancer, I'd not only kill the kids, I'd raise them from the dead, send them off to do my bidding, then explode their corpses in front of their families. Then I'd raise the families' corpses and repeat.

I suppose it's alright to have the ability to kill children in a game, but I'm still traumatized by the time I played Warcraft and I was Prince Arthas (good Arthas).. I had wondered "Can I kill these towns people?" Yes..Yes I can. And so, while little children said "Hello! Want to play!?" happily, Arthas raised his sword and said "Die foul knave!" They ended up as mere smears on the ground under the force of his army..

Alright, maybe I wasn't traumatized, but I still can't look at Arthas the same way. Most of the games I have at least have a child that groups with you and can die because of that. Some have children that are evil, or losing control. Most of those games, however, are made in Japan. Either way, if it has children dying perhaps that should be a new thing to add on to the back of game boxes. As Div said, there's varying degrees of mentally healthy because of genetics and for some people a dying child just may be too much. Blame what they call "blue blood".

Kill children in game? Sure. But you know, the press is gonna have a field day with it saying Simu is advertising the murder of children and creating more school shooters. >.> *coughbull----cough*

Kill children in game? Sure. But you know, the press is gonna have a field day with it saying Simu is advertising the murder of children and creating more school shooters. >.> *coughbull----cough*

DING!!!

That's one of the first things that will be noted most prominately if it's in a game. The controversy will have the media in a frenzy.

In any war, virtual or real there will be casualties young and elderly and that is the sad reality. When a conflict last for a long time (meaning decade plus of fighting) and the next generation of children are becoming the next generation of soldiers opposite factions try to change their morals to become traitors of their once allies. When this stragedy does not work the only left solution is to kill children to insure there will be no future foe army. Cruel? Well I guess thats one part of the definition of war, indifference of war.

I have no problem killing most NPCs in game. Or players for that matter.

In EQ 1 as I've stated I kept a guy's baby in my vault for over 2 years. Deposited a child in my bank! Kept it there and turned in the quest well after it's xp was significant.

Over all tho' I don't think it's really an average morality issue any longer either. A lot of quests in WoW involve kids, and a few are even targets.

You can't actually kill any children, though. I mean..I can remember one instance where a child is attacked ALMOST, and that's the Onyxia thing but the King gets away. You can't kill the little orc children running around in the Barrens as an Alliance, and you can't kill human children in Goldshire as a Horde.

I suppose it's alright to have the ability to kill children in a game, but I'm still traumatized by the time I played Warcraft and I was Prince Arthas (good Arthas).. I had wondered "Can I kill these towns people?" Yes..Yes I can. And so, while little children said "Hello! Want to play!?" happily, Arthas raised his sword and said "Die foul knave!" They ended up as mere smears on the ground under the force of his army..

Alright, maybe I wasn't traumatized, but I still can't look at Arthas the same way. Most of the games I have at least have a child that groups with you and can die because of that. Some have children that are evil, or losing control. Most of those games, however, are made in Japan. Either way, if it has children dying perhaps that should be a new thing to add on to the back of game boxes. As Div said, there's varying degrees of mentally healthy because of genetics and for some people a dying child just may be too much. Blame what they call "blue blood".

That was the beginning or Arthas' downfall, and what made him such a great tragic character and eventually a wonderful villain.

I believe though that because of what this country is going through lately, having the ability to slaughter or kill children in HJ would only hurt the game with the press... a lot.

Then again, it might never become an issue. The media generally looks at first person shooters. I also doubt Hero's Journey will have on the box "Finally you can slay little children!"

That was the beginning or Arthas' downfall, and what made him such a great tragic character and eventually a wonderful villain.

I believe though that because of what this country is going through lately, having the ability to slaughter or kill children in HJ would only hurt the game with the press... a lot.

Then again, it might never become an issue. The media generally looks at first person shooters. I also doubt Hero's Journey will have on the box "Finally you can slay little children!"

I'd buy a game if it had that on the box. :| ...What? :smiley:p)

Seriously, though, the only way you'll be able to kill kids in Hero's Journey is if they decide to, every now and then, have adolescent Ukar attack your character, or something. I think the discussion was more "Is it OK?" and less "Will they do it?"

The start of his downfall was in the first 30 minutes of the game? Dang, Arthas..Couldn't you have waited until the middle like most villains!?

The start of his downfall was in the first 30 minutes of the game? Dang, Arthas..Couldn't you have waited until the middle like most villains!?

Well, not necessarily 30 minutes...it depends on how fast you get the missions done. :D2 Poor Jaina, though...the two people she had loved at some point have become two of the most villainous beings in the game (Arthas, Kael'thas).

In the interest of child-killing, I say 'yes,' but to a point. I've read and written child deaths in different ways (murder, disaster victim, ritual victim, disease, etc). I think that if the particular scenes are done for a dramatic effect (a "makes you think" scene) or with some sort of balancing point - particularly the murder being avenged or something along that line.

-The moral argument is that the children are automatically innocent, and that the killing of the innocent is a bad view (and shocking to some). They are not yet old enough to make the decisions that should affect their life (or death).

-The realist's argument is that no matter what age we are, if we are mortal, we can die at anytime, anywhere, and for any reason. They believe that there can't be an immunity just because people don't believe it should happen or don't want it to.

I fall somewhere in between the moralist and the realist, and can see both points. I have and will write child deaths, but minimally and never out of sheer gratuity or spite. There will always be an underlying reason for it. I don't like to see child deaths on any medium, but within reason, I can tolerate it.

Warning, spoilers ahead for the game, Drakkengard.

I remember the game Drakkengard had an 8 year old girl that you not only got to kill (only in one ending though), but was in fact the main villain of the game. Later you got to kill giant purple space babies. God that was a great game.

Warning, spoilers ahead for the game, Drakkengard.

I remember the game Drakkengard had an 8 year old girl that you not only got to kill (only in one ending though), but was in fact the main villain of the game. Later you got to kill giant purple space babies. God that was a great game.

No kidding. I brought that game up when we were discussing it a while ago.

I don't know if we'll have killing kids in the game, but if there are, it will be with good reason, and you'll probably have other choices instead.

Well, not necessarily 30 minutes...it depends on how fast you get the missions done. :D2 Poor Jaina, though...the two people she had loved at some point have become two of the most villainous beings in the game (Arthas, Kael'thas).

In the interest of child-killing, I say 'yes,' but to a point. I've read and written child deaths in different ways (murder, disaster victim, ritual victim, disease, etc). I think that if the particular scenes are done for a dramatic effect (a "makes you think" scene) or with some sort of balancing point - particularly the murder being avenged or something along that line.

-The moral argument is that the children are automatically innocent, and that the killing of the innocent is a bad view (and shocking to some). They are not yet old enough to make the decisions that should affect their life (or death).

-The realist's argument is that no matter what age we are, if we are mortal, we can die at anytime, anywhere, and for any reason. They believe that there can't be an immunity just because people don't believe it should happen or don't want it to.

I fall somewhere in between the moralist and the realist, and can see both points. I have and will write child deaths, but minimally and never out of sheer gratuity or spite. There will always be an underlying reason for it. I don't like to see child deaths on any medium, but within reason, I can tolerate it.

Yeah, I don't buy that. There are kids out there who dump gas on cats and light them on fire, just because they can. A friend of my brother's friend once put a live hamster in the garbage disposal, because he though it would be funny. Believe me, if I'd been there, he'd've lost more than a couple fingers. The only correlation between age and innocence is the amount of time the person has had to be "evil".

In short: If a kid smacks a dog in the game, I'd better be able to hold him down and tear out his kidneys.

A friend of my brother's friend once put a live hamster in the garbage disposal, because he though it would be funny.

There's not much that bothers me (except deep water..) but that is one of the things that are on the list. It just disturbs me more than I'd like to admit.
I mean, when reading that, I actually got nauseous. :/

Yeah, I don't buy that. There are kids out there who dump gas on cats and light them on fire, just because they can. A friend of my brother's friend once put a live hamster in the garbage disposal, because he though it would be funny. Believe me, if I'd been there, he'd've lost more than a couple fingers. The only correlation between age and innocence is the amount of time the person has had to be "evil".

In short: If a kid smacks a dog in the game, I'd better be able to hold him down and tear out his kidneys.

Yeah, kids aren't innocent. I think in a moral perspective, you can say they are defenseless. It's kinda like shooting a guy in the back since children really can't fight back in a meaningful way.

That being said, I voted for no killing of children. The reason being, a line has to be drawn somewhere. In a practical view, Simutronics has to deal with the game rating. I think most companies try to hit the Teen-Rated rank because it opens up the audience to the most gamers.

The other reason is more psychological and ethical. Lines have to drawn, as I said before. Yes, our society seems to accept the wanton killing of adults vs children but even our society has limits.

If it's only pixels on the screen, why just stop with killing children? Why not graphic torture? Why not rapings? Why stop at anything? None of it is real, right? Because at some point the devs, and the players as well, have to decide what's acceptable and what is not and games reflect the culture/morality/ethics of the current society. And for those of you who say, "yeah why not?" I can guarantee the same people who don't mind the killing of children will mind if the game allowed your character to take advantage of a child.

My two cents.

Back