Kristin's Article

M

mystery_chick

from eonline.com

E!Online's Kristin

August 29, 2003

We Fan the Burning Embers of Alias Anticipation--and Do a Little Joey Spinoff Squealin'

SPOILERS!

It's not every day you get to stalk Alias stars at a party. Nor is it every day you stumble upon a Friends scoop so juicy it's immediately debunked as "rumor."

Such is the sitch this week, which leads me to say for the gazillionumpteenth time: I love my job. If you want it, you're gonna have to pry it from my cold, dead, kung-fu-grip hands.

Your Countermission--Wait: It's 30 days, 10 hours and 34...33...32 seconds until the Alias season premiere. Not that I'm counting. And not that I need therapy every time I look at the calendar.

Thankfully, though, there is a glittery silver lining: Alias: The Complete First Season comes out Sept. 2 as a DVD box set--hurrah!--and to celebrate, everyone who enters our next chat (which is Sept. 8, due to the Labor Day holiday) will be eligible to win one of five copies. (Be sure to read the rules.)

Also, a little scoop to tide you over. The entire cast and producer JJ Abrams showed up at a soiree Tuesday night to promote the DVD and the upcoming Alias videogame.

They answered Q's in a panel session, and you'll never guess who was in attendance: Merrin Dungey! That's right, vive la Francie! Or actually, vive l'Allison, who is back this season in all her evil cloned glory and supposedly working up a little somethin'-somethin' with Sark. Also good news, Lena Olin will be back as well, though they're still working out how many episodes. (Pause for happy Snoopy dance.)

Bradley Cooper (Will) was devastatingly not in attendance (though I hear he will be in a handful of eps). His onetime love-triangle gloriousness has been replaced by the new trio we're all still struggling to accept: Sydney, Vaughn and the new...shudder...Mrs. Vaughn. Yes, mon petit pomme frits, she was there. And what's worse: She's entirely unhateable.

For those who still don't know, Vaughn's new wife is Melissa George, the gorgeous Aussie who had a short-lived run on ABC's Thieves two seasons ago. In person, she's a blond Sydney of sorts--charming, sweet and undeniably strong--so much so it sounds like even Syd might have a hard time disliking her.

"Actually, I am loving the aspect of the triangle," Jennifer Garner said of her new romantic rival. "Melissa is an excellent foe. And what I love is that [Sydney] really respects her. They're not catty, they're not rude, they have every reason to think the most of each other--which is what sort of digs the knife even deeper. They both love this man. But Sydney loves him enough to let him go."

Nooooo...

Humble as Pie: Oh, how I love Jennifer Garner. It's impossible to count the ways, but top of the list has to be that she still comes across as approachable as her first day on Felicity.

When asked how her life has changed since Alias, she said excitedly: "First of all, it's like boot camp, where you can only focus on one thing. You don't have time to worry about it, to question your instincts. You just have to move forward. You learn so much in times like that...And that has given me the kind of confidence that can only come from working day in and day out. From that, I've gotten other possibilities..."

"There are movies I would have read for and would have never gotten," she said. "But mostly, I would just say, it's being allowed to go to work every day. And every single day, there's a moment where I say, 'Wow that was different,' or 'That's something I've never done before.' I would guarantee that the list of actors in the world who get to do that is incredibly small."

Jennifer, who said she's shooting a CIA recruitment video as a favor, is also clearly grateful to play such an empowering role model. "Women come up and say, 'I started working out because of you' or 'I learned this language.' Or a mom will say, 'My daughter and I watch your show together because your character is so honorable.' And that is just b****in'."

Hear, hear!

Something's Fishy: In case you're curious, the Alias panel session included Merrin, David Anders, Melissa George, Michael Vartan, Victor Garber, JJ Abrams, Jennifer, Ron Rifkin, Carl Lumbly, Kevin Weisman and Greg Grunberg--the only actor left out of the videogame, who joked, "That's okay. I'm still trying to get the Felicity game up."

At one point during the session, Melissa talked about the upcoming "love-triangle thing" (with her character, Michael's and Jennifer's), saying of the competition, "He's my husband," and "I have the upper hand--I have the ring!"

At that moment, a noticeably uncomfortable (sweaty and white-faced) Michael Vartan took off his jacket and fanned himself as Jennifer leaned in their direction, looking on with a furrowed brow. Moments later, Michael bolted.

Sounds odd, no? And it was. Turns out Michael had become seriously ill during the session, poor thing. A few castmembers commented that it may have been the sushi (as you might have seen reported), but I can attest it wasn't--had it myself. As soon as the session ended, Victor Garber gave him a ride home.

Meet the Missus: Afterward, I had a little meet-and-greet with the girl we're all going to hate to love--Melissa George--to chat about her time thus far on Alias. Turns out she's a fan.

"I have watched the show all along," she said. "It's so funny, because I watched the season finale, and I was shocked. I thought, Oh my goodness, a wife? I wonder who that lucky girl is going to be. And then I read for it with Michael, and I said to myself, If I don't get this, I'm going to be devastated!" And then I got it--it was surreal."

Then I asked the most ridiculous question of my career: Was it easy to have chemistry with Michael Vartan? "Yes," she said. "And it was instant. It's so important that you get along and respect them and really listen. And if they listen to you, you know they're the right partner."

Melissa, who said she'll keep her Aussie accent for the role, had this to say to fans: "My character has done nothing wrong--it's not her fault! She married a man she fell in love with, and if you hate her for that, well, that's a shame. But I don't think you will, because she's a very warm woman. Don't hate me, that's my message!"

Producer JJ Abrams also came to her defense. "What's interesting," he said, "is that fans were so mad [about Vaughn being married] they were like, 'How dare Vaughn do that? After only two years?' But the thing is, Sydney did the same thing. She lost her fiancŽ, and she moved on. After the first year, we know there is something there, and in the second year, she falls in love."

It sounds like Melissa's character (also a CIA agent) could be doing some Sydney-esque butt kicking. "The storylines are getting bigger and bigger. I'm not sure where it leads, but I think I'll get to do that. I don't know where the storyline is going, maybe she has a daughter or something. I just don't know." Hmmm...

Just wondering after reading all these interviews, anyone know what Michael Vartan thinks about the 'triangle'?

Roz said:
Just wondering after reading all these interviews, anyone know what Michael Vartan thinks about the 'triangle'?
Don't know, but I'll guess. I'll bet he loves it because it'll give him lots of dramatic moments to dig his teeth into!
:D

thats great news!! well sort of!! anyways hmm im sure his wife wont turn out to be that bad after all and it is definitaly goin to be one hell a of a season!!

Okay I *may* like her to a certain degree if shes going to do some Sydney Bristow butt kicking, but I will forever be angry that she took Vaughn. We'll just have to break this love triangle.

it's going to be difficult to hate george's character, but i vow i will! what? she stole vaughn! so what if she's likeable? argh. it'll be tough going.

agent S.

Greg Grunberg--the only actor left out of the videogame, who joked, "That's okay. I'm still trying to get the Felicity game up."

LOL he's so funny, just like Weiss is! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And of course Lauren is a warm person, otherwise Vaughn would never have married her.
DUH!!

Maartje

it was a great interview..but i still wont like melissa's character..errrrrr..i dont care if they say shes likeable and it'll be hard to hate her..i think i will!! lol i hope it turns out to be a good season anyhow

Well, we can look on the bright side, Vaughn did not get roped into marrying a complete B-witch because of something like he got her pregenant. Cuz he seem like a guy who would not ever abandandon his child. At least (very least) she is likeable.

:blush: Anyway, I kindof wasn't all for the Vaughn/Syd thing, cuz it didn't feel right to me they didn't seem like...uhm...a perfect match, :( but nothing is perfect. I cannot even make up my mind. :thinking: I should just stop talking now. :thinking:

It's alright, everyone's entitled to their own opinions. :smiley:
--Mandy :angelic:

WOW! That was great!!!!!!!

I'm starting to like MG........ :thud: EESH! It says that she's just like Syd! Except blonde! And it's true that Syd did fall in love in two years! AHHHHHH!! Why do they have to make everything make sense? How can I help not to like Syd! If she's like Syd then how am I supposed to not like her! Okay..... now I'm starting to get used to this. Maybe MG will be a good addition to the show!! I mean! HECK! SHE WATCHES ALIAS! SHE'S BEEN WATCHING SINCE THE FRICKEN BEGINNING!!!!!! :thud: I'm definately starting to like her for sure....

WHERE THE HECK IS SEASON 3 WHEN I NEED I!?!?!!??!?!!!!!!!!!!????!!?!?!?!!!

Back