Letting Go, Holding On

Wow. It's been a super long time. I apologize. School has got me so wrapped up I can't even keep track of myself. :blink:

If anyone is still reading this, I have the next chapter. You may want to go back and read the last couple, just to remind you of what's happened. Re-Reading the October 25 diary entry may help you understand the end of this chapter...^_^

There isn't much left after this. Only a few more chapters-unless my mind goes crazy on me. :P No telling when I will find time to finish it, but I hope this tides you over for the little while (that is...if anyone is still interested in this :rolleyes:).

Enjoy :smiley:

---

I open my eyes slowly. I’m scared of what I might see. Looking to my left, I see Aaron’s head against the steering wheel that now had an airbag protruding from it. He’s looking the other way, but he isn’t moving.

“Aaron?” I say nervously. I begin to panic when he doesn’t respond. Putting my arm on his shoulder and shaking him, I say his name repeatedly. “Aaron? Aaron, say something! Aaron, please? Aaron!”

He suddenly sits up, bumping his head on an object and startling me. He looks around himself and sees the mess. I can feel the question in his eyes.

“I guess it was pretty bad...I’m so glad you’re okay.”

He seems to be oblivious to my enthusiasm of his life. Instead he notices what I failed to apprehend.

“Emma, your face. It’s covered in blood,” he says to me while leaning toward me. Both of us are pinned down by the airbags and seatbelts. Glass is surrounding us.

“I’m fine,” I say, wiping blood from my cheek.

Aaron and I are left looking at each other for what feels like half an hour. I am admiring how soft and innocent he looks when he gets a horrified expression on his face.

I can’t help but laugh. “What is it?” I screamed suddenly as my door flies open. Turning my body around as much as it will go, I am face to face with my father.

“Don’t touch her!” Aaron screams.

Ignoring him, my father grabs my wrists and tells me to get out. As I search for the buckle, Aaron looks for a way to help me. After several minutes, Patrick reaches over me and unclips my seatbelt. He rips me out of the car as Aaron is still struggling to get free. As my father closes the door, I see that Aaron is petrified. My father doesn’t notice, though, as Aaron gets out of the car.

My father’s grip around me grows tighter as he pulls me toward his car. He opens the door and is about to force me in when Aaron speaks up.

“Let her go.”

Patrick turns around quickly, his hold on me loosening slightly. I begin thinking of ways to get away, but I can’t think fast enough. He pulls a gun out of his coat, and presses it hard against my neck.

Aaron immediately rushes to us, but stops when I wince in pain.

“Don’t come another step closer, son, unless you want to lose her.”

In one instant, a pained expression appears on Aaron’s face. A shot is fired, and I crumble to the ground.

~

October 27, 2003

He saved my life. Aaron is my saving grace.

Dad had a gun pointed at me. Somehow, I don’t know how he did it, Aaron punched him and got the gun. He shot him. Aaron shot Patrick.

I didn’t know what had happened at first. I just heard the shot, and I was afraid to look. My body collapsed and I was shuttering helplessly. That’s when he put his arms around me and assured me we would be okay.

I looked up into his gorgeous eyes, and asked him if he was dead. He shook his head and told me he only shot his leg. It hadn’t killed it, but it had saved my life.

Aaron called the police, and when they got there, they told us to come down to the station to answer questions. I wasn’t expecting to be informed of my father’s whereabouts these last few years.

“Patrick Davis has been on the FBI’s most wanted list for the past year and a half,” one of the cops said calmly.

I scooted closer to Aaron as I waited for the rest of the hurtful news. The man went on to explain that he had been molesting children, boys and girls, of all ages.

“What put him on the hit list?” I asked.

“That’s classified information,” he replied shortly.

Aaron managed to squeeze out of him that Patrick had attempted to kidnap the president’s fourteen year old son, hadn’t succeeded, but got away.

I was in shock, and could barely tell the police what had happened. I tried to recount the last few hours, but all that came to mind what the picture of my father-the man who had married my mother, who produced my little brother and me-molesting children, molesting the president’s child. Apparently they understood my confusion, because after sitting silent for half and hour, they told me we could go home. There would be time for questions later.

Now we are back at the hospital, and my mother is a mess. I didn’t want to tell her, but we couldn’t keep it from her. Our cuts and bruises posed many questions and she was sobbing in the floor within minutes of the story.

I found myself wrapped around her. I realized once again, that we are in this together. Maybe that’s why all of these damn things are going on in our lives...to grow us closer together. Perhaps, it’s a test; a test of faith, a test of hope and a test of love.

~

I’m sitting by his bed. He’s breathing quietly, and his heart beat is slow. Mom had to get away for a while, so Aaron drove her to the hotel. He hasn’t come back yet.

I gaze out the window and my mind wanders to the memories I’ve shared with Ryan. There aren’t too many worth remembering but one sticks out in my mind. I look back at him and take his hand in mine.

“Ryan, buddy. Can you hear me?” He turns his head slightly toward me. He blinks, and I continue. “Do you remember that day we stayed home from school? We had both had bad days, so in the morning, instead of walking to the bus stop, we went to the park. When we knew Mom had left for work, we went back home.” I laugh quietly. “We ate all the junk food we wanted to, we played video games for hours...we even roller bladed inside.” I stop and think for moment. “How old were you then, Ry? I think you were 11, and I was 15, because...” I hesitate, then finish silently, “it was before the divorce.”

I unlock my hand from his and wipe a small tear from my cheek. I hear him mumble something, but it isn’t audible. Moving closer to him, I ask, “Hey, it’s Emma. What do you need?”

His eyes open slowly, and it startles me. I had almost forgotten the beautiful hazel color they were. They no longer shine with life, however. They are dull and weary. They are a desperate call for deliverance.

“Emma,” he whispers.

I look around to see if anyone is there before answering him. “Yes?”

“He...” It is hard for him to speak. He runs out of breath quickly. I wait patiently as he gathers more air. “...Loves you.”

Before I can absorb what he says, there is a high pitched beep. I jump and realize it’s his monitors. His eyes are closed again, and the noise takes over the moment.

The doctor and nurses rush in, pushing me out of the way.

“Oh my God. Oh my God. What’s happening?” I say repeatedly.

They ignore my cry, and in a few moments, they have removed Ryan from the room he was once sleeping peacefully in. One nurse stays behind to explain. “It looks like he’s gone into shock, probably from the medication. Dr. Holling will come back to give you information. Your mother is being notified.” She rushes away, leaving me standing in the now silent room.

I look around for someone to hug, someone to hold, but there is no one. I lean my back against the wall and slide down until I hit the floor. Burying my head into my knees, the tears stream down my face. And I wait.

ohhh that was sooo good. Very interest. Stupid father, he deserves life sentence. :hmm: He loves you? :blink: as in Aaron? :blink: yes... very intriuging... hm... well take your time! I haven't touched my fics in a while either *dies* hope you get to write more soon!
--mandy :angelic:

Wow. I can't believe this story has come as far as it has. I didn't plan for it to be so long, or to enjoy writing it so much. It's funny how once you start writing, the story tells you how it wants to be written. ^_^

Well, this is the final chapter, the epilogue, or whatever you'd like to call it.

Thanks to all of you for reading. It's been a pleasure writing for you all. ;)

Read, and enjoy. :smiley:

-

January 19, 2008

It is the fifth anniversary of Ryan’s death. Every January 19, I experience the same shocking emotions, and I always find my way back here, to my journal. Five years ago, I was writing about my brother’s cancerous struggle, and my emotional journey. Today, I am reflecting on the lessons God has taught me through everything I went through.

I remember when he died. I was angry at everyone. I hated the doctors, I hated my mother, I hated Molly; I even hated Aaron. There wasn’t any specific thing I hated them for, I just had to find someone to blame. Of course, I blamed myself too. I was never a good sister to him. He was always a better brother than I was a sister. I still wonder, to this day, if he knew how much he really meant to me. I don’t think I ever made it clear to him. Experiencing that terrible guilt made me realize that I have to show everyone how much they mean to me before it’s too late. There were three people I knew I must do this with: my mother, Aaron, and most importantly, God.

I didn’t realize it at the time, but God allowed me to trudge through those murky waters because He knew, better than I did, that it was the only way to lead me to Him. He desired a relationship with me so much; He was willing to put me through hell to get it. It wasn’t until over a year after his death that I realized this, but when my eyes were finally opened, I couldn’t believe I’d missed it the whole time. The only thing He wanted was for me to put my hope in Him, to trust in Him and leave all the answers up to Him.

Aaron, of course, was my angel through everything. God led him away from me so that he could find Him on his own, and then He used him to get to me. When Aaron left, I saw nothing good in it. But, God saw the bigger picture. He knew what He was doing all along, and I am so thankful to Him for that.

After I came to know Christ as my Lord and Savior, and I came to understand that the only way to heaven was through Jesus, my immediate worry was Ryan. I asked Aaron one day, if God would have sent Ryan to heaven, even after what he’d gone through. Aaron explained that if Ryan didn’t accept Jesus as his savior, the Bible is very clear to say that you will not enter into God’s Kingdom. “ But,” I remember him saying, “You didn’t know this, but I used to go in and talk to Ryan every day. A couple of days before he left, he found the answer. He knew Jesus.” These were the most relieving words I had ever heard.

The first year without Ryan was a living hell. I forgot who I was. I forgot why I was here. It was hard for me to get through the remaining school days, but I made it, somehow. I didn’t do as well as I had hoped, but no one held it against me. At his class’s 8th grade graduation, they held a ceremony in remembrance of Ryan. It was bittersweet, even for those who didn’t know him.

I remember when Molly and I were much younger. We used to always talk about going to college together, getting married, having kids...but our senior year, we both learned that not everything is going to happen the way you plan. Molly decided she would be going to Georgetown University, in Virginia. A part of me wanted to scream and yell at her for ruining our dreams. But I knew that time would bring best friends back together. My choices for college were limited by my grades, and my mother. She required a lot of maintenance, but I was more than willing to provide it. I attended the local community college so I could stay with her. Each day, I could see her spirit healing more and more. It was a long process, but after about two years, she was back to most of her old self. But God was still missing in her life.

I don’t know how or when exactly it happened, but Aaron called me one day from my mom’s house, where I was living as well, and told me she had something to say to me. I could tell she had been crying as her weak voice said, “Jesus loves me, Emma. He really loves me.” I knew then that God had saved my mother. He had delivered her from her misery and pain, and she recognized it. It was one of the happiest days of my life.

The April after the third anniversary, Aaron and I were married. Molly was my maid of honor. It was another of the happiest days of my life. And when Aaron kissed me for the first time after we had said our vows, I knew that he was a special man. And I knew that he truly loved me for who I was, and for who God was. Our first kiss was on our wedding day, and it symbolized the new beginning of our life together.

Our first child is due in June. Aaron couldn’t be happier. When I first told him I was pregnant, he didn’t believe me. When he realized I wasn’t kidding, he couldn’t stop grinning. He looked at me and said, “Emma, this is all I’ve ever wanted; a marriage to a wonderful godly woman, and for the wonderful godly woman to be the mother of my children. I love you.”

I still mourn for the loss of Ryan, mainly for my loss of him, and my mother’s. I miss him a lot and I often wish he could still be here. But I know God had other plans in mind, and he is in heaven where he feels no hurt and no pain. God knew what it would take to reach me, and he used my little brother. I think Ryan knew that, and that is why God used him. Everything Ryan ever did was for someone else, and he died saving me and Mom. I only hope I can live up to that. I love you, bud.

~

Wiping the tears from my face, I mumble “come in” as Aaron opens the door.

“Hey honey,” he says gently, putting his arm around my shoulders.

“I just can’t believe that such a young boy could do something like that for the sake of someone else. He understood, and I was so selfish that I didn’t.”

He hugs me tighter and kisses my head. “God works in mysterious ways. And he tells us to have the faith of a child, because they will so readily accept His love. Now, come on, let’s go get some ice cream.”

Smiling, I turn my head toward him and nod. “I think we could both use a triple scoop,” I reply, rubbing my stomach.

Aarons laughs and helps me to my feet. As we walk out the door, I reflect on all we’ve been through and I say a silent prayer to God for getting me through it. I look down at my bulging stomach and smile slightly, realizing that God has brought life out of death in more ways than one.

I have let go of the past, and I am holding on to the future. I’m holding on with faith, with hope, and most importantly, with love.

awwww that was so nice ^_^ wonderful fic hun :smiley:
--Mandy :angelic:

i loved the ending so much. it ws beatifully written and you can tell jsut from reading it how much you believe.
i am trying to find God at the moment and i am finding it so hard but i know that He is there and will help me through it and He does have a plan for me. i just need to pay attention to Him more.
ukaliaschick :scotsman:

Back