Light the fires & kick the tires

A) A Visit to Simutronics | MMORPG.com
Created On: June 05, 2007
Also, the logic for the argument about that article being a long time ago is very flawed.
Simu still exists in that building, and only that building. If they have more people to work on it, they have even less room than they did (which was very very limited as it was), If they have more room, then they have less people to work on it.

B) The fact the 10 GMs that used to frequent all the Forums have gone quiet is a another reason we believe development has slowed to a crawl.

I still think it's funny they even bothered to announce the removal of Suwari because they wouldn't be done in time for the game to come out, when it's already so delayed I'm really not sure why they even bothered. Surely all this 'extra time' they're taking could be made to include Suwari at this point, I mean, we've already waited a ridiculous amount since their initial hype push. All that announcement did was upset people, and make folks think a release date must have been coming up (or else why cut stuff because it wouldn't be ready in time?) and that didn't help morale any.

That, folks, is why you don't hype your game then abruptly fall off the face of the earth. It's bad form. I don't care if it's 'the way Simu always does things'. If you're gonna be secretive, be secretive -- but there's a difference between keeping a tight lid on a project and dangling it in front of people's noses then whisking it away (which was what the whole gameshow demo and flurry of official site updates was).

They should know, if they've ever looked at other MMO fanbases, that pulling that kind of thing creates bitter fans and results in bad word of mouth from those fans. Spellborn had the same problem -- they announced like, 5 different release dates, and then at the last minute for each of those dates, they pulled out and said 'Sorry, its not ready yet!'. Once I can understand, but FIVE? Also, zero communication to beta testers about patches or anything else. When I was on the beta boards, I saw lots of testy, bitter fans and decreasing morale. All because of a bad hype schedule and lack of communication. And so far HJ has done the exact same thing -- poor choice of hype cycle, abrupt end of that hype cycle, and then complete silence. It's very discouraging.

Even WoW, which I believe was in development for 5-6 years, didn't stop communicating with fans and releasing tidbits of info. That kept the fans excited and interested, even though it was a long time of waiting, because they could 'feel' the progression of the game and talk about it with other fans (thus sustaining and building their community). Refusing to do that just makes fans think there ISN'T any progress being made, and eventually they'll just give up caring.

I disagree, Simu is doing the right thing now by shutting up. It would be fine if they had the policy for the whole development schedule. Then I'd have whispers that a game was being developed, but I would assume it was just test data for the engine.

Then they would announce beta testing for a new MMO, and everybody would be freaked (not unsurprised, but freaked nevertheless) and excited.

As it is now, with each day of silence (I even insulted them pretty bad on their officials to no response) I am less sure that it's being worked on hard enough to ever come out.

Notice I said that I doubt it's being worked on hard enough. Not that I don't believe it's still being worked on as all the GMs have said. It is being worked on, but It's more like FEMA working on Katrina right after it hit... Sure they say it is, some people may even be organizing trucks, but I don't see any helicopters in the air.

I disagree, Simu is doing the right thing now by shutting up. It would be fine if they had the policy for the whole development schedule. Then I'd have whispers that a game was being developed, but I would assume it was just test data for the engine.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said:
If you're gonna be secretive, be secretive -- but there's a difference between keeping a tight lid on a project, and dangling it in front of people's noses then whisking it away (which was what the whole gameshow demo and flurry of official site updates was).

Secrecy by itself is not a bad thing, but prematurely ramping up people's excitement and then vanishing is.

At this point they need to make up their mind already. If they're going to release the game they need to do it faster regardless of what they think. If they take much longer not only will most of the people who were interested in it give up but the game itself will feel already old when it first comes out.

Back