Little Lies

Hello all! I'm branching from my usual places to post fic. So I'm using to introduce myself (as an author) here. The first three parts don't carry themselves as well as the following parts do, so I've lumped them all together for the first post.

Title: Little Lies
Genre: S/V angst/humor/smut-ish/songfic/slightly AU
Rating: PG-13 with R chapters
When: 3.19 "Hourglass" This is after Vaughn is ordered to stay married to Lauren, but instead of he and Syd being sent to get Conrad, they go on this little mission.
Summary: We uncover lies, then we just tell ourselves new ones, because the truth hurts too much. Sydney and Vaughn explore this concept, intimately together, and alone.
Disclaimer: I do not own, or derive any profit from the Alias characters. The same goes for the song "Little Lies," which belongs to Fleetwood Mac and can be found on the albums "Tango in the Night," "The Very Best of…," and "Greatest Hits."

Part One: Intro

Syd threw down the safe-opening device in disgust, then touched her fingertip to an earpiece hidden behind her blonde and red wig.

"Boy Scout, we're too late. The safe is empty."

In a crowded nightclub one floor up, Vaughn touched his own earpiece.

"Copy, Mountaineer. I knew this was too easy. Let's get out of here."

Syd closed the distressingly empty safe, and retrieved the device on the floor. She examined it for damage, and hoped she hadn't broken any of the circuitry inside. Marshall would be bummed if she had. He was the only truly happy person she knew anymore, and she didn't want to see him frown, if only for a minor reason.

She checked the office she broke into for any evidence of her presence there. Finding none, she peeked out the door, confirmed the basement hall was empty, and then slipped out, locking the door like it had never been picked.

She walked a couple doors down to a bathroom, and stepped inside. The bartender (and anyone watching, incidentally) was supposed to think this was where she went. She asked him for directions as a pretense for going down into the basement. She already knew the location of the bathroom, of course. It was two doors down from an office belonging to a Follower of Rambaldi.

Intel had informed them that this man kept in his office a short Rambaldi manuscript detailing how the Passenger could be found. So of course, Dixon sent Sydney and Vaughn to retrieve the manuscript. And of course, as was the case all too often lately, the Covenant beat them there. Syd dismally wondered if they'd ever get the upper hand on the Covenant.

In the bathroom, Syd checked her disguise. A shoulder-length blonde wig, liberally streaked with red, covered her long brown hair. The wig went well with the short, red, strapless dress she wore. She leaned into the mirror to check her makeup, and looked again at the strange color of the contact lenses in her eyes. It was what most would call "hazel," a color not brown, blue, or green.

She and Vaughn both were equipped with contacts. They replicated retinal scans of the man whose office she raided. But as it turned out, all she needed was the simple code-breaking device Marshall gave her "just in case". Like Vaughn stated, "too easy". But then again, they should've realized that by the lack of guards in the basement.

Syd reapplied her lipstick, a "hooker red," as Francie would've called it. Lipstick Sydney Bristow would never wear.

Poor Francie, Sydney thought sadly.

~*~

Part Two: Just a Day or Two

If I could turn the page
In time then I'd rearrange
Just a day or two
(Close my, close my, close my eyes)

Sydney closed her eyes, and took a deep breath. Such things came upon her at unexpected times. So often she was reminded of the life she lost. Kendall said that when she was kidnapped, she was told that "Sydney Bristow is dead." And it was very true. The Sydney Bristow that had lived and been friends with Francie was dead, her life obliterated. The Sydney Bristow that stood here, in the bathroom of a very exclusive Vienna nightclub, was a different person. She remembered the life of that other Sydney, but the life she lived now barely resembled that other life. So much was so different.

Sometimes when she was at home, alone with nothing but her thoughts and fantasies, Syd dreamed about going back in time, changing a few things. Just a few things, that's all it would take.

Maybe if that night, the night she fought Allison and then was kidnapped by the Covenant, maybe if she would've called Vaughn instead of confronting Allison by herself. The Covenant would've never captured her, Vaughn would've never suffered her death, and never married Lauren. Maybe even Will would still be in her life, instead of the Witness Protection Program.

But she would've still lost Francie. Maybe if she could change something even further back than that. If she could make it where she'd never joined SD-6. She'd have Francie and Will, and none of their lives would be in danger. That would've been before Noah, before Danny, before Vaughn. Before Vaughn. And still estranged from her father. Still thinking her mother was dead.

And ending that train of thought, Syd would conclude, like she always did, that would've beens, could've beens didn't make her feel better. No magic solution existed that would make her life the way she wanted it. She just had to play the cruel hand Fate dealt her.

Syd left the bathroom, ascended the stairs to the main level, and threaded her way through a crowd of dancers to rejoin Vaughn at the bar. She smiled at him, nodded, and wordlessly they left. As they drove back to the hotel that was their base for this mission, Sydney couldn't help but dwell on their failure.

"I can't believe the Covenant got ahead of us again." Syd sighed heavily and stared out the car window.

"I know. We made sure that Lauren didn't know what we were doing." Hearing the anger underlying his voice, Syd looked over at Vaughn, only to see the burning in his eyes. She very rarely saw him like that, and the times she had, it'd been about her, so long ago. Pushing that thought aside, another took its place.

"Maybe this was a distraction. Maybe they just sent us here to chase our tails while they're busy somewhere else."

"Yeah, maybe. But why?" Syd shook her head at Vaughn's query.

"Who knows," she replied tiredly. "We can figure it out when we get back home."

"Yeah, when we get back home," Vaughn repeated, harshly. Syd could tell he didn't look forward to it. She knew that masquerading as a happy husband, while knowing his wife worked for the Covenant, was hard on Vaughn, but it was difficult for her to muster any sympathy. He had put her through too much.

They drove in silence the rest of the way to the hotel, each of them thinking their own dark thoughts. The silence continued as Vaughn parked the car in the hotel garage, and they strutted back to their hotel room, in character.

After entering the room, Syd plopped down in a chair, threw her head back, and closed her eyes. She listened with little interest as Vaughn telephoned their contact and relayed the information that the mission was unsuccessful. A few more moments of silence, then Vaughn said "Okay," and hung up. He came to where Syd was sitting, and she looked up at him. Many conflicting emotions swam in his eyes, but she didn't trouble herself to identify any of them.

"Base ops says to stay the night here, keeping in with our aliases in case we're being watched. A plane will be waiting to take us home tomorrow. It won’t be until noon, though, and we’ll have to call to confirm."

Syd nodded, not wanting to say anything.

Vaughn sat down on the corner of the bed, just a few feet from where Syd sat. He put his hands on his knees and leaned forward, sighing.

~*~

Part Three: So I'll Settle For One Day

But I couldn't find a way
So I'll settle for one day
To believe in you
(Tell me, tell me, tell me lies)

"Syd, I'm sorry." She stared at him, expression blank.

"You don't have to be sorry. It's not your fault the mission failed." Vaughn shook his head.

"No, not that." He paused, looking at her. Syd's face remained exasperatingly blank. Why was she closing herself to him now? Perhaps that's why he was apologizing. "I'm sorry about what I did to you."

"And what did you do to me?" Not only was her face blank, but her tone was neutral. She gave nothing away. She was protecting herself from him. Something he thought she would never have to do.

"I hurt you. I acted like a fool, a stupid fool, blind to what was going on around me. I reached out to you and then burned you. Tried to have my cake and eat it too I guess. And I'm apologizing." There, he had put it out there. Admitted what he did to her. Admitted it to himself. It hurt, but it felt like a cleansing hurt. He watched as a little emotion came back to her face. Unfortunately, it was anger. He realized, perhaps much too late, that maybe he hurt her more than he thought.

"Why are we talking about this now?" Her voice was sharp, and it seemed she didn't really know why he was bringing it up. Or maybe she didn't care. He crumpled his brow at her.

"We're not going anywhere for over twelve hours. What else are we going to do? Draw straws for the bed?"

Reflexively, Syd looked at the queen-sized bed. They were in a nice hotel, but got a budget room. There was no couch, no hide-away bed, just the regular bed, nightstands, the dresser, a table, and chairs. She realized that unless they could put away some of the awkwardness present between them, somebody would sleep on the floor.

She ran a tense hand through hair that wasn't hers, and sat up straight.

"Fine, but what the hell do you want me to say? Yeah, you hurt me, and it's great you're apologizing, but the situation still isn't resolved, and no one knows when it will be!" She looked at him, and finally let her emotions shape her face.

Vaughn watched Syd's anger, frustration, sadness, and longing present themselves to him. He sunk his head into his hands. He didn't know what to do. He felt trapped in an impossible situation. Forced to stay with a wife he now despised. Unable to move his life forward, and perhaps move it in the direction it was supposed to go - with the woman he really loved. He felt as if now he possessed some inkling of what Sydney had gone through. She too experienced having her free will ripped from her, much more than he ever had, and she still struggled with it.

"Remember Nice?" Her whisper cut across the agonizing silence between them like a razor.

His head sprung out of his hands, and he looked at her with surprise and confusion. He couldn't believe what she said, what she implied. But the look in her eyes told him that it was true. It was everything he thought it might be, and more.

~*~

A/N: I will have Part Four up within a week or two.

Hey stealthy, are you same "stealthy" at SD-1?

'Cause if you are, you can read this there.

But it's also buried, so good luck finding it. ;)

But then again, everytime I take my stories to a different place, I improve upon them slightly.

Thank you for reviewing. ^_^

PM PM PM PM me PLEASE!
This is great. :lol:
But, why is it in the R rated section. It seems pretty harmless so far. Or, is it yet to come? :blush:

I am SO sorry I didn't update when I said I would. I have been SO busy in RL. Anyway, here it is.

Oh, and michy, here's why it's in the R forum (it's mild smut, but smut all the same). ;)

Part Four: No, You Can't Disguise

Tell me lies
Tell me sweet little lies
(Tell me lies)
(Tell me, tell me lies)
Oh, no no
You can't disguise
(You can't disguise)
(No you can't disguise)
Tell me lies
Tell me sweet little lies

Syd gazed into Vaughn's eyes, amused in the back of her mind that the contacts changed his eyes from their usual beautiful green, to a rather startling blue-green.

However, in her foremost thoughts, she felt pleased that he understood completely what she was trying to say, even though she used so few words.

How long ago was it? Just over three years, Syd thought, since that night. That beautiful night when they were willing to throw away rules, conventions, and uncertainties to be together. Even if it was for just one night.

She remembered how he so carefully, so tentatively offered his apology to her then, for not being upfront with her about what was going on with her father, for not considering her able to fully handle what was happening. In the same breath, he invited her to dinner. She recalled how his eyes lit up and danced with excitement when she accepted.

Then the humble restaurant, with the wonderful food, and the even more wonderful proprietor. The jovial Frenchman seemed to possess an uncanny understanding of what was occurring between the handsome young man and the lovely young woman visiting his restaurant, even if they themselves didn’t.

However, they began to understand a little more when the proprietor gave them a room upstairs, free of charge.

At that point in time, Syd felt strongly the burden of her double life weighing upon her. It was endless lies, deceptions, and betrayals. No matter how hard she worked, she never knew when it would end.

They were in that place again, even if the roles were switched. They didn't know how long Vaughn would have to keep up his charade with Lauren. And even when she was gone, they still couldn't immediately come together like they had after the fall of SD-6. Too much had happened, and things would have to proceed with agonizing slowness.

But tonight, in thanks for another apology, she would offer to ease his burden, as he wished to ease hers that night in Nice. It would be a no-strings-attached night in which they could both relive what they had missed for so long. Then tomorrow they would board a plane, and go home to broken lives. Still, they would have a new memory to cherish, and to bolster them for the struggles ahead.

As she began to lose herself in those eyes that were Vaughn's, and somewhat not Vaughn's, she saw the raw, naked need and desire rise in them. It was all the warning she received before he reached out, cupped her face, and pulled her in for a fierce kiss.

Syd placed her hands, with long, red, acrylic nails, on his shoulders, over the shirt he was wearing. It was a shiny blue, and made of some smooth material she couldn't identify. It wasn't something Vaughn would normally wear.

The intensity of their kiss brought both of them to the floor, Syd to her knees, sitting on her feet, and Vaughn also to his knees, but straddling Syd; around and above her. With one hand, he reached for her blonde and red wig, meaning to remove it, but she stopped him.

She realized that she wanted it like this, wanted this one-night-stand to be between their aliases, not themselves. It felt too painful to be themselves.

He pulled away for a moment to look at her, and she pleaded with him, using only her eyes. He nodded, he understood, and he kissed her again. She ran one of her hands through his hair, and idly remembered that for his disguise, he washed it with something that tinted it heavily with red until he washed it again.

These thoughts, and all others were swept away as Sydney's desires and needs were fully roused by Vaughn's kiss. She brought her hands to the front of his shirt, and savagely pulled it open, thankful that it was fastened by snaps. Vaughn released her momentarily, allowing Syd to push the shirt down his shoulders, arms, and off his hands. As he kissed her again, she immediately took advantage of the newly bared flesh by running her hands up his muscled stomach, chest, and resting again on his shoulders. The incredibly beautiful feeling of his skin gliding beneath her fingers forced small cries to escape both of them, from their locked-together lips.

Goaded even further by the strength of their feelings, Vaughn scooped Syd up in his arms, and stood up. He climbed on the bed, and placed her in the center.

With a rough, but not unappreciated hand, he rolled her to her right side, and unzipped the back of her dress. He placed her on her back again, and she gazed up at him, her altered eyes filled with the dark knowledge of unadorned lust.

His eyes mirroring hers, he began to peel the dress off her body, revealing matching crimson bra and panties. She kicked her shoes off before he moved the dress over her feet, and onto the floor. Then he straddled her again, this time her entire body. He stooped for another kiss, and filled his hands with her.

He sought to know with his fingers those places he had once known better than anything else; the contours of her shape, the smoothness of her skin, the little spots where he could linger, and cause her desire for him to rocket even higher.

At the same time, her hands made similar work of his body. She rubbed his torso again, and then moved her hands along his sides and back. Taking advantage of a feature she chose not to have naturally, she raked her nails down his back, eliciting a pleased hiss from him.

They moved their mouths as well, taking moistened lips to rediscover ears, necks and shoulders. At the same time she grasped the front of his pants, he discovered the front clasp of her bra. A few manipulations and wriggles later, she was clad in nothing but red lace, and he in nothing but desire.

There's a power a woman has when the man before her is naked, and she maintains clothing, no matter how little it is. A significant measure of control over the situation. An advantage she gains in what is to come next. Sydney felt not at all averse to exercising this power. She scuttled away from Vaughn before she could be relieved of her panties, and came to rest at the foot of the bed, in a crouch.

Reacting somewhat instinctually to her actions, Vaughn pulled himself to the head, sitting on the pillows. They stayed that way, staring intently at each other across the expanse of the bed, which suddenly seemed as large as a football field. Their bodies screamed at them that very close wasn't close enough. But there are things to be appreciated when all you have is one night.

Taking hold of her power, Syd smiled wickedly, and rose up on her knees, proudly displaying her magnificent body. She felt Vaughn's gaze burn across her bare skin, and she knew how much more he burned for her. It could be seen in his very obvious arousal, yes. But also in his ragged breaths, in the sweat shining on his brow before he even exerted himself, in the way his normally steady hands trembled.

And she was going to make it worse. She was going to twist his desire until he became nearly mindless in it.

Nearly.

She placed her hands on herself, in the middle of her taut stomach, and began to caress herself. One hand sliding down, the other up. Her hands constantly moved, stopping only to give a strategic pause, or a teasing squeeze. Her movements hypnotized him, and he yearned for nothing more than to seize her and touch her himself. But he remained perfectly still except for his eyes, which followed her hands faithfully.

Elegantly, she stepped off the bed, and stood in front it. Her hands never stopped roaming her body, though for a second, they both rested at her hips. In a blink, the scrap of red lace resting there disappeared. Syd struck a pose, and again she and Vaughn just stared at each other.

For the first time in almost three years, Sydney Bristow and Michael Vaughn were completely nude before each other. Although their faces tried to tell the lie that these two were really someone else, the make-up, false eye color, and fake hair couldn’t disguise the emotions running between them.

Time sighed, and the stares broke. They rushed for each other and met in the middle of the bed, once again a small space made for two. They became a whirl of flesh and limbs. Far from chaotic, they conducted their sensuous dance with a grace made only possible by the knowledge and intimacy between two minds, hearts, and souls.

Then, in that vital moment, when two bodies become one passionate whole, Sydney stopped Vaughn before he could complete them. She pulled his ear to her lips and whispered very gently.

“Tell me that everything’s going to be alright.”

It would be a lie, of course. Even if everything turned out for the better, in this complex situation they were trapped, it would be impossible for everything to be alright. He understood though. He understood the need to be comforted, even if that comfort was a lie. He had been trapped by such a lie.

Vaughn turned his head, looked at Syd through those strangely colored contact lenses for a moment, and then kissed her tenderly. Moving his lips from hers to her ear, he replied.

“Everything’s going to be alright.” As soon as the last syllable passed his lips, he felt her slight relaxation, and in that moment, he joined them.

~*~

A/N: I'll try to get the next section up within a week or two. Plus, every time I post a new part, I'll post one of my one-parter fics. This week it's "Stalled," an angst piece that I'll put in the General Forum.

i'm not even s/v and i like this...vaughn's character isn't quite as degraded in your fic as he has become in the show. but i do really like the way you write. maybe send me a pm when you update? thanks

m-c

Yeah, I'm the same stealthy at sd1
But i don't feel like looking it up
Plus i like waiting for the updates
they make me like the story even more
thanks for the pm
update again soon

Sorry I didn't get "Stalled" up like I said I would last time - I've been having some technical difficulties, so here it is w/ the new update - Stalled

Part Five: There's a Reason Why

Although I'm not making plans
I hope that you understand
There's a reason why
(Close your, close your, close your eyes)

All throughout that surreal night that stood outside their lives, Sydney and Vaughn made love to each other in almost every manner they had when they were together. And even a few ways that they never got the chance to try. They touched every inch of each other’s bodies, derived pleasure every way they dared. Too soon, the outside world would come to the hotel room door, and demand that they return to their respective agonies.

The first faint knocking could be heard as the dawn began its foray into the horizon. The sated pair finally lay still in the bed, wide awake and holding each other. They knew that soon, they would have to rise and become themselves again, take on their pains and burdens again.

The encroaching sunlight brightened the room’s window slightly more when Syd made the decision to end the reverie.

“I need to take a shower.” Vaughn pulled her closer to him, unwilling to let go. He quickly devised his own compromise for the situation.

“Let’s take one together.” It was after all, the one way they hadn’t been together during the enchanted night. “In fact, I’ll go start the shower.” In an instant, he let her go, and rolled out of the bed. Syd felt a sudden chill from the absence of his comforting warmth.

She waited until she heard the water running before she left the bed. She took a few moments to remove the several bobby pins that still held her wig in place. She had learned long ago how to secure a wig so that it would withstand fleeing, fighting, and yes, even vigorous lovemaking.

She also stopped to remove the contacts from her eyes and place them in the special case Marshall designed for them. At least one piece of his technology would be saved, even if they never used it again. It amazed her that she managed to wear the lenses this long. Usually they started to drive her insane after just an hour. She guessed it was testament to how engaged she had been over the course of the night. She smiled at that thought and walked to the bathroom.

Steam filled the cream-tiled room, and she could barely see Vaughn through the fogged glass of the shower. She spotted a case similar to one she just handled next to the sink, and realized that she hadn’t noticed he kept his contacts in all night as well.

Syd slid the shower door to the side, and stepped into the steam and water. The soles of her feet tingled with slight pain as they adjusted to the hot water, in contrast to the cold tile. As she slid the door closed, she looked over at Vaughn, who stood under the showerhead.

His eyes were closed, and his arms relaxed at his sides. The water running down his face and body took his red hair color with it. It created the eerie effect of diluted blood streaming down his skin.

After just a few seconds, the color disappeared, and Vaughn opened his eyes. He seemed slightly surprised to see Sydney in the shower with him, even though moments ago he invited her there.

They now looked at each other as Nature intended them to: Syd's chestnut hair hanging down her back and into her face, her brown eyes looking into Vaughn's green ones. All the pretenses they maintained during the night were now stripped away. In this moment, nothing but truth lay between them.

Unfortunately, the truth was an ugly thing.

Vaughn reached out, took Syd's hands, and pulled her to him. They simply embraced silently, letting the water cover them. The closeness of bare skin didn't arouse them this time. Their bodies had nothing more to say to each other, at least nothing that would make the coming moments any easier.

"Thank you." Vaughn whispered into Sydney's quickly dampening hair. She heard the volumes spoken in that one phrase, the gratitude for the momentary emotional relief, for the abatement of physical tension, for a reason to continue with his vile assignment.

"I'm not expecting anything." Her reply was so soft that he could barely hear her over the sound of the shower. He didn't know what to make of that, so he pulled back to look into her eyes. He knew he could read there the meaning of her statement.

What he found in that umber gaze shocked him to his core. A peculiar hopelessness resided there, a belief that everything wasn't going to be alright, not even remotely. She had given up on them, and last night was her goodbye. What surprised him only a little more was the implication that before this, she had believed, somewhere inside of her, that there was hope for them.

Vaughn stared deeper into Syd's eyes, and read the entire story. Since the moment she'd discovered he was married, she'd harbored the hope that their love for one another would bring them back together. She also knew all too well the irrationality of the heart, and its tendencies to dream and desire things it may never have. She knew equally well the hazards of their occupation, which changed the situation drastically.

She gave him the last line to her sorrowful tale.

"This is not about cutting off an arm of the monster. This is about killing the monster." As the words swirled around the shower, haunting them both, he realized she was as right as he was when he spoke those words to her years ago.

Vaughn never thought beyond "find the Passenger, take Lauren into custody." Melancholy descended as he became conscious of the fact it might not end with the Passenger. He might be required to deceive Lauren to gain another objective. He might have to continue with his sham of a marriage until the Covenant was destroyed as the Alliance had been.

How long might that take? One year? Two? Five? He and Sydney couldn't commence an affair during that time, for instead of endangering his marriage and their morals, it would probably endanger their lives. He couldn't expect Sydney to wait for him that long, either. He suspected she could, if she so desired, but did she after how he had hurt her? Plus, that didn't change the fact that they lived perilous lives, and one or both of them might not survive to see the end of his assignment.

Vaughn gathered Syd back to him, and hugged her tightly. She had foreseen all of these possibilities, and did the only thing she could: given him one final act of pure, true love so he may descend to the abyss of lies, and still remember what truth feels like.

He whispered into her ear, "One more time, please. Just like this." She nodded, and they shared a soulful kiss under the cleansing water.

~*~

Next up: More angst.

~*~

ETA: Review reply section

A big THANKS! to all of you who reviewed.

i like that, its good. you have a nice way of writing.
:blush: Thank you. In a shameless plug, I will say stick around for my other fics. W/ the exception of "Little Lies," I'm posting in the order I wrote them, and my writing has improved.

i'm not even s/v and i like this...vaughn's character isn't quite as degraded in your fic as he has become in the show. but i do really like the way you write. maybe send me a pm when you update? thanks

Will do! Thank you too on my writing. :blush:
I consider myself a Vaughn advocate. I can justify most of his actions through S3 - which actually turns out to be the point of a few of my one-parters. For some reason, he's the character I understand/write best.
And I try to write the S/V ship realistically. Unlike some, I don't consider their relationship to be (or supposed to be) sunshine, rainbows, and bunnies. Their relationship started as a forbidden thing, and in S3, a dark element was added. I like exploring the less lovey-dovey aspects. ;)

Yeah, I'm the same stealthy at sd1
But i don't feel like looking it up
Plus i like waiting for the updates
they make me like the story even more
thanks for the pm
update again soon

Hey stealthy. It's good to have you here. Haha, you have much more patience than I do if you like waiting for updates. ;) But I don't blame you for not wanting to look it up. So you can catch all of my fics here!

Thank you all again!

"I'm not expecting anything." Her reply was so soft that he could barely hear her over the sound of the shower. He didn't know what to make of that, so he pulled back to look into her eyes. He knew he could read there the meaning of her statement.

What he found in that umber gaze shocked him to his core. A peculiar hopelessness resided there, a belief that everything wasn't going to be alright, not even remotely. She had given up on them, and last night was her goodbye. What surprised him only a little more was the implication that before this, she had believed, somewhere inside of her, that there was hope for them.

That has got to be one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful things I have ever read. I actually misted up just reading it. The angst is painful but so amazing. I can only hope it has a fluffier ending. I'm a sap for happy endings!

Please PM me when you update! This was truly fantastic.

P.S. IT's not that R rated! :lol:
You should read my fic. You Were Meant for Me. I've posted in Romance, and I'm scared any day they're going to give me the boot! :eek:

Part Six: Let's Give it a Try

A/N: The "golden thread" reference was inspired by the line "But threads that are golden don't break easily" in the Tori Amos song Horses on the "Boys For Pele" album.

No more broken hearts
We're better off apart
Let's give it a try
(Tell me, tell me, tell me lies)

A miasma of sorrow choked the hotel room with silence as Sydney and Vaughn dressed and readied themselves to face the world.

"Do you want any breakfast?" After tucking his shirt in, Vaughn walked over to the table where a leather bound folder lay. He picked it up and began leafing through the room service section. Syd finished buttoning her suit jacket and shook her head.

"I don't really feel like eating anything." Vaughn looked at her and nodded.

"You know what? Neither do I." He placed the folder back on the table.

The silence resumed as they packed their bags. Sydney finished the packing by placing the op tech in a bag specifically made for the purpose. She grabbed all the bags, and placed them next to the door. Vaughn watched her with wistfulness and regret, then turned his attention to the phone.

Syd watched him call the contact, and tucked a wisp of hair behind her ear. Her thoughts drifted not to the wild coupling of last night, but to the tender lovemaking of this morning. While in the darkness they evoked every physical pleasure to be found, in the light and the water they evoked every emotion.

Before entering the shower with Vaughn, Syd felt sure she could take this night in its proper context, and place it into that part of her mind where she placed all emotional thoughts and memories that could threaten her stability. Danny was there, Will was there, and she had even put her mother there. When she made the decision to give herself to Vaughn one final time, she also decided that afterwards, she would place him there as well.

It seemed like a sound decision, one that would help both of them endure their continued separation. And going through the night wearing their lies should've served to make enacting her decision easier.

But then they made slow, gentle love in the shower, and all the lies washed down the drain. Afterwards, when she sat in the tub with him wrapped around her, she discovered her folly. She would never, ever be able to compartmentalize Michael Vaughn. She thought the reason she hadn't before was due to her refusal to try, her irrational belief that he would be returned to her. But now she knew that she hadn't because it was impossible.

Vaughn wasn't just an emotion or a memory to her. He was a golden thread wrapped around her heart, as she was wrapped around his. And if ever that thread was removed, the heart would bleed to death. She realized that had already been happening to both of them; they had been slowly bleeding to emotional death.

This morning, they came together and stopped the bleeding. This morning they were sorrowful, but they were also heart-whole. This morning marked a new beginning. The thought buoyed Sydney's spirits.

Vaughn hung up the phone and turned to Syd in an echo of last night. Once again his eyes were filled with myriad emotions, which she identified as sadness, resignation, and dread anticipation.

"We're clear. There's a car waiting for us behind the hotel." Vaughn sighed heavily. "Ready?" Syd nodded and picked up the bags. Vaughn strode over and opened the door for her, then shut it behind them after exiting. He relieved Syd of his bag and the op tech bag, and silently led the way out.

Their contact would take care of the checkout and the rental car, so that they wouldn't have to be seen again. They simply had to meet their ride to the small airstrip outside of the city, and then take the jet waiting there home.

Just as promised, a dark sedan with heavily tinted windows sat in the alley behind the hotel. A small, wiry man with spectacles and a mustache leaned against the hood. Without any greeting, he opened the back doors for the two agents, and then the trunk. He got into the car himself, and started it, trusting the agents to take care of themselves. Syd and Vaughn deposited their bags in the trunk, and then got into the car.

It was another silent car ride to the airport. Though the driver was a CIA contact, and completely trustworthy, Syd and Vaughn had nothing mission related to say, and anything else they might speak about, they didn't want overheard.

The silence followed them, loyal as a shadow, as the driver parked at the airstrip, and the agents took themselves and their belongings out of the car.

As she and Vaughn headed to the jet's hatch, Syd looked up at the overcast sky. She found it somewhat appropriate. A first glance, and everything looked gloomy and darkened. However, she knew that soon they would be flying above the clouds where the sun shined and the sky blazed azure.

They boarded, tossed their bags into some empty seats, and found seats for themselves across from each other. They buckled themselves in per the pilot's instructions, and prepared for immediate takeoff.

Syd looked at Vaughn expectantly, but he seemed disinclined to eye contact, much less speech. He merely slumped in his seat and stared into nothingness. Every few minutes he would take his hand and run it across his face, or over his head.

Syd watched him do this during the plane's ascent, and for twenty minutes after it leveled off above the clouds.

That's when she decided that she'd had enough.

"You keep doing that and you're going to be noseless and bald by the time we get back." She looked at him very blandly, and prayed he took the joke.

Unfortunately, he just gave her a hard look. The anger had returned to his eyes, full force, and some of it was directed to her. Syd's face softened.

"Vaughn, what's wrong?" A look of incredulity came over his face, and the burning in his eyes intensified. However, his voice carried to her with deadly calm.

"How can you ask me that? It's not like you don't know." Syd could've slapped herself on the forehead. Of course she knew. His eyes were telling her the same story that hers told him this morning. She had let go of her hopelessness and desperation, and he had taken it in.

"I'm sorry. So, so sorry." The flames in his eyes burned even brighter.

"For what? Last night?" Syd's eyes widened, and she quickly leaned forward.

"Oh no, no! Not at all!" The green fire banked slightly.

"For what then?" Sydney reached out and took Vaughn's hands into hers.

"For this morning," she squeezed his hands and continued before his anger could escalate again. "For how I was feeling. Ever since Hong Kong, and I saw you wearing that wedding ring," her eyes slid down to the gold band that now they both detested. "I've had hope. It was the first emotion I felt when I saw you that night. That, and love." Her eyes came back to his, and she was relieved to see that the burning there subsided to coals. Still there, but not in the forefront.

"Those feelings couldn't be put away, couldn't be defeated by a scrap of gold. They were still there when I was so angry with you. They were probably the reason why I was so angry with you. Because I still had hope and love."

Syd felt the memories and the moisture gathering in the corners of her eyes, but she couldn't stop.

"Then we started working together, and I felt like a piece of my life had been returned to me. Even though I couldn't have you to myself, you were still there to help me, protect me, and give me someone to trust. Then in North Korea," Syd paused, her voice choking up, the tears beginning to fall. "You told me that my hope and love wasn't in vain. Before then, I thought that I was just torturing myself, holding myself back, but it was for a reason. Even when you hurt me, every time you went back to Lauren, I never gave up."

Unable to speak at a normal volume anymore, Syd lowered her voice. "Then, we found out about her. I hurt so much for you. But I hurt so much for myself too. And even though Dixon and my dad told you it would only be until we found the Passenger, I knew better. You're a Covenant asset, if we take Lauren into custody, they might try to kill you. I knew that you might have to keep pretending until we were sure that wouldn't happen, and that could only be guaranteed by bringing down the Covenant. We don't know how long that'll take, we don't know what'll happen before then. I had to let you know how I feel, because it might've been my last chance."

She finished by breaking down completely, sobs long repressed tearing from her. Vaughn released his seat belt, and leaned over to embrace her, not noticing that he was crying too. They held each other for long minutes until Syd had no more tears. Vaughn whispered gently to her.

"What changed?"

She lifted her head from his soaked shoulder, wiped her face, sniffled, and then smiled at him.

"This morning, after the shower," her cheeks colored a bit, and made him smile. "I realized that I just couldn't shuffle what I feel away. That's what I was going to do, but I can't. But it's wonderful. It's wonderful that I love you and you love me," she paused, looking into his eyes, afraid she might be dreaming. But the way he looked at her didn't lie, and she continued. "And we'll be together. Maybe not together like we really want to be, but we'll be together, and that's enough to keep me going."

Though she'd stopped crying, the tears continued to slowly trickle down his cheeks.

"Yes, yes we will be." He hugged her, tightly enough to steal her breath, and kissed her temple. "Can you promise me something?"

"Probably not." He closed his damp eyes and pressed them to her shoulder.

"You're right. But, how about this - barring capture or death, will you stay near me?" She squeezed him back.

"What about undercover missions and reassignments?" He sighed heavily. This was too difficult, and she kept reminding him.

"Whatever you can give me Syd, I'll gladly take. Just promise to stay with me when you can, only go away when it's impossible not to."

"I always meant to. What about you?" His voice came breathy and desperate to her ear.

"Yes, always, always."

It was almost like a spy's version of a wedding vow.

They finally released each other, and shared a chaste kiss. The leaned back in their seats and spent a few minutes wiping eyes and noses, regaining composure.

After using Vaughn's handkerchief to clean her face, Sydney shook her head somewhat disgustedly.

"Look at us! We're so depressing. You'd think we're going to our execution." She unbuckled herself and stood up. "In fact, I think we were cheerier going before the firing squad!" She started towards the back of the plane.

"Where are you going?" Vaughn called after her.

"I'll be right back!"

He leaned his head into one hand, and tapped the armrest with the other. A few minutes later, Syd returned not to their seats, but a set of seats nearby facing a table. He rose to see what she'd brought.

Little bottles littered the table, at least two dozen of them. They were all full of various sorts of liquor. She turned to him and smiled, a small bottle of tequila already in her hand.

"The CIA stocks these jets well. Let's see, we'll have a stop in London to refuel before flying to New York, and then the flight to L.A. I think we have time for a good drunk."

Vaughn looked at her for a moment with disbelief. Then he shook his head and returned her smile. It was going to be a very long flight, and he could use "a good drunk." As he remembered, it was fun being drunk with Sydney. Of course, being drunk with her always led to other things, but they'd already taken care of that, right?

He picked up a little bottle of gin and tapped it to her tequila.

"Cheers."

"Cheers."

~*~

A/N II: Well, now that I've angst-ed you guys to death, the next section is humor. Humor with more R-rated stuff. ;)

Also, this week's one-parter is "Echoes of a Tortured Mind," also full of angst.

Back