LOTRO Beta..

Almost girls? They look like ten year olds and they're marrying things that look 70!
Angel.jpg

Thats L2 for you :smiley:

I wish we could get a picture of Tolkien idea of a female dwarf, as this was what the topic was
about. I'm sure as some point in time you will see female dwarf in LOTRO

I have deleted all of my screen shots I took in D&DO so can't even show them

If Turbine sticks to lore, as they should no you will not see female dwarves out and about in Middle Earth.

(Gods help, wikipedia is the only thing I can find to quote):

"Male dwarves were overprotective of their women whom they sheltered from other races. Few female dwarves were seen by other races, hence the myth of Men which lead to the belief that Dwarves grow out of stone (supported by the fact that both male and female Dwarves looked similar). In addition, no more than one third of the dwarven population was female, and few men took wives because they were too busy in the mines. The female dwarves too are reluctant to marry males that they do not like. Often, if a dwarven female has her eye on a particular dwarven male, and if she cannot have him, she will accept no other. As a result, they had a slow population growth rate and the attrition caused by the many wars they fought would take many years to recover from, if ever. They dwindled after the Fourth Age like the Elves, until Men were the only of the great races left to rule Middle-earth."

Well I don't know as this game is suppost to be in the Fourth Age, I think you will see female dwarfs, If LOTRO goes into the Fourth Age then all everyone will be able to play is Human.
And I don't think that will happen lol
As in your quote there were female dwarfs so expect to have the option to play one.
Hey if its a game as in any game they will put what ever they feel like putting in that will allow people to enjoy themselves and have fun.
Thats the whole idea of a game

*sighs* I think Turbine would have been better off if they had set this in the Fourth Age from the start. That part is nearly wide open with little to nothing written about it. I like a good story that I don't know the ending to!

If, in the current day and age of the game female dwarves were a) Very rare and b) Kept from the eyes of other races then no, you will not see female dwarves because there are no female dwarves ever seen by any other race in Tolkien's works or indeed, I think ever mentioned. Females as NPC in dwarf cities? Perhaps, but as a playable race? If Turbine goes that far off the lore I will eat my hat, and then refuse to play any of their games. You don't mess with Tolkien's lore, you just don't. It would be like shoving gnomes in there because people want to play them.

Players in FFXI have been asking and wondering about male mithra for years now but they fall under the same type. Kept at home, don't prefer to adventure, don't like outsiders so we've never seen a male mithra as a PC race and probably never will.

Female dwarfs were mentioned in Tolkien's works, Turbine won't be messing with Tolkien's works as it had to be approved by copywrite people and had to go through all that before making the game.
Here is a quote from Tolkien Gateway
"Contrary to popular belief, Dwarf-women do indeed exist, although Dis was the only named Dwarf-woman mentioned by Tolkien. Gimli stated that only approximately one-third of their population consisted of women and because they seldom travel and when they do they dress as men. With similar voice and appearance as a man, even when they are rarely seen they are usually mistaken for a male. Many Men believe the myth that Dwarfs actually grow out of stone. The lack of Dwarf-women is also the reason for the slow increase in population of the race. Less than one-third of Dwarf-men take a wife, and those that do are bound to her for life. The other males prefer to spend their time with their crafts instead of women and even some women do not end up marrying."
Also here is a write up about Dis that was in the book.
Dís - Tolkien Gateway
As you can't tell the difference from the male or female I'm sure they will be in there.
I remember in High School Tolkien's "The Hobbit" was mandatory reading in English class lol Show how old I am now :smiley:

There was a huge debate on whether there should have been female dwarves in the game during development and Turbine decided to follow lore. But notice in-game when you select a race, only the dwarves don't have a gender choice nor does it specify what gender they are.

So if you are a roleplayer, you can certainly play a female dwarf if you choose to be. It's just the game character models aren't any different.

Haven't seen any female dwarves in LotRO.

I'm lost to the game for the time being, BTW, guys. It's largely why I haven't been around...

..funny, You did puke pretty bad over it, Blur! ;)
I hated the classes, couldn't play it

(the lotr-feeling didnt hit me either.. so to me it didnt manage to reach over the another-sad-franchise level)

In the Discworld novels, Terry Pratchett says that this is a major problem for dwarves, and states that the point of dwarvish relationships is to 'tactfully find out which sex the other one is '

That's the only way I view dwarven lore. ;)

So funny. Espeically in one book where the bearded female dwarves started to want to have "equal rights" and "show they were proud to be women."

P.P.P.Ppprattcheetttttttprattprattpratt...chettt..pratchett..chett...chett...pratchett...tt..tttt pratcccchhhhh...ett.............*wonders off muttering*

So I gave in last night and decided to get it and started up my acct. I'm actually kinda impressed with the how the graphics improved from when I played beta oh so long ago. But all in all its the same game, not to buggy at all except some of the animations but then again I haven't gotten to the higher end content again where during beta we were still working some things out.

But anyways any of you playing now that its live? Decided on a hunter do to it was the one class I didn't try during beta so, so far so good.

Back