Love, Your Best Friend

Okay, I gave in and did add a bit of dialogue between Nadia and Sydney, but the letters and email are still present, so for you who liked that part of the story don't worry. I only read through this once so I ignore all the stupid errors ;) I hope you all like this chapter. Don't kill me, please :thinking:

Chapter 12

I can’t believe this is happening to me. Not now. I can’t lose my best friend. He’s the one constant in my life. Nobody wants something that’s been there for so long to suddenly vanish. You can’t get back your best friend. They can’t simply be replaced. You either have them or you don’t.

Sydney dropped her pencil as her sister came rushing into her room, carrying a large box of tissues. She quickly pounced onto Sydney’s bed.

“Okay, spill. What is all this nonsense about losing your best friend?”

Sydney took a deep breathe attempting to gather her thoughts. She heard herself make that awful noise that everyone makes after having a good, long cry and then trying to compose themselves. It was like a cluster of her breath suddenly got caught in her throat with no visible escape.

“Syd, it’s okay. You can tell me.”

“Nadia, I don’t want to lose… him, not because of…her,” she said, her voice coming out in heaping clumps.

Nadia pulled her older sister into a tight hug, not realizing how upset she really was about the current situation.

“Sydney Bristow, I know you and I know Michael. There’s no way that the two of you could ever stop being friends, especially not over something as stupid as this. You’re a fighter, Syd, and you will get what you want, and if Vaughn is what you want then you’ll get him.”

Sydney pulled a tissue from the box and dabbed the sides of her eyes with it’s soft surface. “Yeah, but now I don’t even know what I want. I mean, if he’s happy with Lauren then let him be happy with Lauren. I have no problem with that,” Sydney told her sister in a not so convincing tone.

Nadia didn’t say anything, just gave her that disbelieving look, which enlisted a slight smile from Sydney.

“Sydney, I know it’s early, and that you yourself only just discovered these new pent up feelings for Michael, but sooner or later they will come out. You should understand that instead of being in this constant denial.”

Sydney was quiet for a moment and listened to the distant hum of her computer, wishing that life could be simpler. A wish she knew that every teenager at one point in their life probably wished. How many got their pleas answered? Probably very few.
“I understand what you are saying,” Sydney murmured, realizing that she needed to respond in some way to Nadia’s comment.

“I’ve see you and Vaughn get through some pretty difficult times…” Nadia paused. “Well, actually I haven’t, because you guys have never really had a fight before.” She began to trail off as she caught the look of panic wash over his sister’s face.

“Thanks, Nadia,” Sydney said, sarcastically. She threw her pillow lightly at her sister.

“Hey! I’m trying my best to comfort you here, and I’m sorry if you and Michael are just so freakishly happy all the time, and I’ve never really had the chance to practice my comforting.”

Sydney simply rolled her eyes at her sister and got off her bed. She approached her desk to grab a hair elastic, but was suddenly overcome with a rush of emotion when she saw a ten year old Valentines Day card that Vaughn had given her sitting neatly next to her computer. She gingerly picked it up off the desk and examined it more closely. The colour was started to fade slightly, but she kept it nonetheless. She had a handful of others that he had given to her over the years, but she always had found this one particularly special. He had given it to her at a time in their lives when girls were considered to have “cooties”. He was constantly made fun of by the male population of their class because his best friend was a girl. He didn’t mind, though, which she had always found very brave of him, to say the least. On Valentines Day he had come up to her shyly and given her the very first Valentine’s Day card she had received. The other young girls had swooned over it while Vaughn’s male friends laughed and teased him, especially when she kissed him on the cheek. It was such a fond memory in her mind that she burst into tears once again.

She was quickly distracted from her crying when she heard a tiny knock on her bedroom door.

“Who is it?” Nadia called, realizing that her sister was in no condition to answer.

“It’s me,” the girl’s mother’s voice called from the hallway.

“Come in, mom,” Nadia once again answered.

Irina walked into the room and looked to the corner where her eldest daughter was engaged in a fitful cry.

“She’s fine,” Nadia said with a wave of her hand. “What do you need, mom?” she asked. Indifferent to her sister’s crying. Irina simply handed Sydney something. Sydney took it from her mother’s outstretched hand with a trembling fingers.

Sydney,

Stop being your stubborn self. You can’t keep being mad at me. Yes, I now have a girlfriend, but that doesn’t mean our friendship is any different. I think maybe that’s the way you interpreted it, but Syd, I never meant to hurt you like that. I was only trying to say that Lauren is now part of my life, too. I know this is basically the first time that either one of us has had a serious boyfriend or girlfriend, and I know that it’s weird, but can’t you just try and accept it? For me? I don’t want out friendship to end over something as stupid as this. It’s too great of a friendship to come to an end. I don’t know what else I can tell you to make you understand that you’re still my one and only best friend, and that’s the way it will always be. How could you ever have doubted that?

Michael,

I asked Nadia to give this to you and I trust that she will deliver in one piece. As you may notice (or not, I’m not sure with you anymore) but I sound rather formal. This is because I no longer feel as if you are acting as my best friend as you claim to, and formality is required for somebody who I no longer wholeheartedly trust (the way I use to). It’s very painful for me to write these words to you, but I’m not sure what else I can do other than tell you the plain truth. I’m not going to lie to you, Michael. I simply don’t feel comfortable sharing you with someone else, and I know it’s something that I need to get accustomed to since there were most likely be other girlfriends in your life. I probably could have accepted a girlfriend if you would have handled the situation in a different manner, but because you sprung Lauren on me with no warning and because you betrayed my trust I am having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that you may not be the boy I have always known. I don’t want to lose you either, but I’m not sure what else I can do. Losing you will be one of the hardest things I will most likely ever have to do in my life. Everyone is telling me that I’m being too hard on you, but this is our relationship. I’m involved in it. I understand it, and I believe that it is safe to say that I’m one of the only people who can judge this, not including you. However, I am beginning to question your judgment; something I thought I would never have to do with you. I don’t know what else I can say other than I hope that we may be able to resolve this soon, but know this, Michael, I won’t be the one to initiate any type of rekindling of this relationship. The next step is totally up to you, and whether you continue to keep me in your life is solely your decision, and I desperately hope that you know me well enough to find a way back into my life, but as of now that door is closed, and you are the only one who can open up that part of my life again, and regain my trust.
-Sydney

Vaughn has signed in

Weiss: Hey, man! What’s up?
Vaughn: I’m really not in the mood to talk right now, Weiss
Weiss: Whoa, what happened?
Vaughn: It has to do with Sydney
Weiss: Oh my god, is she okay?
Vaughn: She’s fine. Well, physically she is. But I’m not sure about emotionally
Weiss: Vaughn, what are you talking about? What did you do?
Vaughn: Weiss, I think I may have ripped out my best friend’s heart
Weiss: What?
Vaughn: I can’t lose Sydney. I don’t know what I would do. I don’t care how cheesy it sounds, but she is what makes me the person I am.
Weiss: What are talking about? What did you do?
Vaughn: I betrayed her trust, something that we both thought I was incapable of… I betrayed Sydney.

I was reading past chapters and I never realized how much I like quotes :woot:

FIRST!
Vaughn: I can’t lose Sydney. I don’t know what I would do. I don’t care how cheesy it sounds, but she is what makes me the person I am.
Vaughn: I betrayed her trust, something that we both thought I was incapable of… I betrayed Sydney.

AWWWW... poor vaughn and syd.

That was sooo good... but sad. (not in a bad way) Thanks for the PM.

angel :angelfly:

Sydney,

Stop being your stubborn self. You can’t keep being mad at me. Yes, I now have a girlfriend, but that doesn’t mean our friendship is any different. I think maybe that’s the way you interpreted it, but Syd, I never meant to hurt you like that. I was only trying to say that Lauren is now part of my life, too. I know this is basically the first time that either one of us has had a serious boyfriend or girlfriend, and I know that it’s weird, but can’t you just try and accept it? For me? I don’t want out friendship to end over something as stupid as this. It’s too great of a friendship to come to an end. I don’t know what else I can tell you to make you understand that you’re still my one and only best friend, and that’s the way it will always be. How could you ever have doubted that?
What A DUMBASSS
WHAT A FREAKIN DUMBASS
Im gonna hurt him
how could he write that after what he did

I asked Nadia to give this to you and I trust that she will deliver in one piece. As you may notice (or not, I’m not sure with you anymore) but I sound rather formal. This is because I no longer feel as if you are acting as my best friend as you claim to, and formality is required for somebody who I no longer wholeheartedly trust (the way I use to). It’s very painful for me to write these words to you, but I’m not sure what else I can do other than tell you the plain truth. I’m not going to lie to you, Michael. I simply don’t feel comfortable sharing you with someone else, and I know it’s something that I need to get accustomed to since there were most likely be other girlfriends in your life. I probably could have accepted a girlfriend if you would have handled the situation in a different manner, but because you sprung Lauren on me with no warning and because you betrayed my trust I am having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that you may not be the boy I have always known. I don’t want to lose you either, but I’m not sure what else I can do. Losing you will be one of the hardest things I will most likely ever have to do in my life. Everyone is telling me that I’m being too hard on you, but this is our relationship. I’m involved in it. I understand it, and I believe that it is safe to say that I’m one of the only people who can judge this, not including you. However, I am beginning to question your judgment; something I thought I would never have to do with you. I don’t know what else I can say other than I hope that we may be able to resolve this soon, but know this, Michael, I won’t be the one to initiate any type of rekindling of this relationship. The next step is totally up to you, and whether you continue to keep me in your life is solely your decision, and I desperately hope that you know me well enough to find a way back into my life, but as of now that door is closed, and you are the only one who can open up that part of my life again, and regain my trust.
-Sydney
AHHHH noooooo poorr syddie
so formal
so so so FORMAL
ahh i hate that
ahhh she told him the whole truth minus the I LOVE YOU!!!!

AHH im gonna kill that little felgercarb!
he ripped her heart out
i hope weiss knocks some sense into him
seriously what is he thinkin
weiss better help him out

Poor Vaughn. DO SOMETHING!!!
Their relationship changed so quocly becouse of that ...his girlfriend :blink:. He need to send her back to France asap...

I was reading past chapters and I never realized how much I like quotes

HAHA I know, they're always fun to read :P It gives you a good insight about what people like in your story that you're writing ;)

Ok my quote is:

Then he's gotta to what he has to do... gain Sydney's trust again -_- He definitely messed up there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great update. It was cute in a way, but wow! Vaughn is seriously going to have to win back her trust, something that is going to be pretty hard to do I suspect. Can't wait to see what happens!

-erin :smiley:

I really want to feel sorry for Vaughn...but I can't.
I totallly agree with Syd. He never should have sprung Lauren on her like that.
I went through something similar a few years ago and it sucked... Our friendship never recovered.
Hope its better for Syd and Vaughn.

GTG..class starting now.
Luv, Tia! :king:

aww
i hope they work it soon (meaning vaughn dumps lauren)
thanks for the pm
-laura

OMG this whole chapter was good
i feel bad for syd but im a little confused how did vaughn betray syds trust?
that was so cute of vaughn

What this letter says to me is that Vaughn never considered Sydney anything more than just a friend and that's why he can't understand why things have changed between them.

Sydney's feelings, on the otherhand, have moved beyond just friendship. Sydney discovering she loves him. But she didn't have a chance to tell him. And now, she can't because she knows he'll rip her heart out by telling her he doesn't feel the same way- he loves Lauren. That's why she made up the excuse, they can't be friends because he betrayed her trust. She said it to protect her heart from shattering more.

And, IMO she was right in telling him she was through with him and if he wants any relationship with her, that he has to make the first move.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

As you may notice (or not, I’m not sure with you anymore) but I sound rather formal. This is because I no longer feel as if you are acting as my best friend as you claim to, and formality is required for somebody who I no longer wholeheartedly trust

Ouch... that's got to hurt! Sucks to be Vaughn lol :lol: Great update mate, thanks heaps for the PM! :cheers:

omg vaughn better do something fast or his is going to lose her........

awwwwwhhhhhh this so sad lol luv it though
i hope lauren is out of the picture soob

thx for the pm :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Back