FIC: I'd Rather Love and Love Well

oh.. dundundun
i dont think i like all this S/S its scary
thats okay itll be S/V soon enoough *winkwink*
great chapters
cant wait for more

Well, it took me most of the day, but I caught up on this fic, and I love it. It's so great how you balance out the work and personal lives, but it's still a "romance". So great. Please pm me when you have more up!

Chapters 54 through 57

“Syd!” Vaughn yelled as he raced to catch up with her. “Hey. I haven’t seen you all day.”

“Dixon has kept me busy researching a new development in one of the many boring areas the CIA is concerned with. I tried to tell him that researching wasn’t my thing. I’m more of a disguise and fight kind of gal.”

“But he still made you do the research,” Vaughn added.

“Yeah. So, what’s up?”

“Well, I was wondering if you were up to anything tonight.”

“Why? Is there a mission you think we should volunteer for?”

“No, it’s just that Lauren has some NSC mission to go on, and so I figured it might be a nice night for you, me, and Weiss to just kick back and unwind. I thought it could almost be like old times.”

Sydney swore to herself. She was getting a little tired of pretending that she was all right being in Vaughn’s presence without being able to touch him. It killed her almost every time he was near not to reach out and run her fingers over his lips and through his hair. “I’m sorry, Vaughn. I can’t. There’s this thing that I promised one of my friends that I’d do with him.”

“Will?” Vaughn asked. “Because I’m sure you could get him to let you out of that commitment.”

“No, Will’s babysitting Grayson for Kaylee tonight. I think she might have a date because she wouldn’t tell me where she was doing.”

“So, if it’s not Will...” Vaughn pondered for a moment. “Is it that mystery guy Andrew that Weiss keeps going on about? Because if it is, you can tell me.”

“Okay.” Sydney held her hand up. “I’m getting a little tired of Eric trying to dig through my personal life. Has he ever heard of giving a person space?”

“No, I don’t think he has.”

“Anyway, I’m really sorry that I can’t do that whole relaxing thing with you and Weiss tonight. Sorry!” Sydney smiled at him and made her way back to her desk where the dreaded research was still waiting to be completed.

Vaughn just watched her walk away and cursed himself for pushing her. He knew she had to be dating that guy. The way Weiss explained the manner she talked with this Andrew she definitely had something invested in him. He should have known that she would give up on him just as he had given up on her.

“What’s the matter?” Weiss asked as he saw his best friend staring in the general direction of Sydney. “You really shouldn’t be staring at her. People will start to question how happily you’re married.”

“And what would be wrong with that?” Vaughn asked.

“What’s wrong?” Weiss asked again.

“I was trying to set up a little alone time with Sydney, and it didn’t work.”

“You used the whole you-me-and-Weiss-can-hang-together-like-old-times approach, didn’t you? I told you that wouldn’t work.”

“It would have work. As long as I could convince you not to actually show up.”

“Another con against that whole scenario, Michael. You shouldn’t be alone with Sydney. And you know that.”

“I know, I know. But I just can’t help but want to spend time with her. Our relationship is practically non-existent anymore.”

“Whose fault is that?”

“The CIA’s!” Vaughn yelled. “It’s always the CIA’s fault that my life gets turned upside down. First, my father dies in their service. Then they assign me to debrief a new walk-in agent. Third I almost die from a flood in a closed corridor in Taipei and by a biological weapon in the same year. And now they’re keeping me from throwing this marriage dow--”

Weiss slapped his hand over Vaughn’s mouth. “I know you need to rant, buddy. But you know that you can’t finish that sentence.” He lowered his hand off of Vaughn’s mouth when he was sure his friend had calmed down. “So what went wrong with your genius plan?”

“She has somewhere else to be with some guy who she refused to tell me the identity of. And then I accused her of having a boyfriend and not telling me. Then she tried to change the subject by being mad at you.”

“She probably was mad at me,” Weiss admitted. “Do you think I should hide for the rest of the day?”

“I think that might be best.” Vaughn smiled at his friend. “In fact, knowing Sydney, you probably shouldn’t show your face for at least a week.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Later that day, Sydney found herself staring at her reflection in her mirror back at her house. She still wasn’t comfortable going to this party that Simon Walker was holding, but Sark seemed to think that whatever was going to happen there, they couldn’t afford to resist. The front door clicked open, and Sydney could hear someone enter her house. Sighing, she threw a bathrobe on over her dress while reaching for the gun she had placed on her night table.

“Is someone there?” she yelled right before she darted out of her room and across the hall. If this was someone trying to hurt her, she wanted him or her to think she was still standing in her bedroom.

“It’s just me, Syd!” Sark called from the front of the house. “Please put the gun I know is in your hand down. Blood doesn’t go too well with my suit.”

She sighed and shrugged off her bathrobe, throwing on the bed in the spare bedroom. “I keep saying you need to start calling before you let yourself in.”

“I know. It’s such a pain though.” Sark caught his first look at Sydney. “Wow. You look beautiful, Agent Bristow.”

Sydney stared at him in confusion as he broke eye contact with her and left the room. “Did I do something wrong, Andrew?” she asked.

“No. It’s just... where did you get that dress?” he asked.

“Well, I didn’t want to wear a dress the CIA had provided me and all of my own eveningwear was not fancy enough for what you said this gathering would be. So I borrowed a dress from my sister. Oh.”

“She wore that dress on our fifth date,” Sark whispered.

“I’m sorry. I wasn’t thinking. I could change. I’m sure there was some dress I overlooked which would be appropriate.”

“Don’t. I’ve already gotten used to the idea of you wearing it. Besides, I think that it will bring just the right amount of attention to you. I was thinking that we might need a distraction at some point this night. Now I see that you in that dress works quite well for that purpose.”

“As long as it means I get to slap someone, I’m happy,” she joked.

“Are you ready to go?”

“No, I’m not ready. I don’t think I’ll ever be ready to freely walk into the hands of the man who kidnapped me and sold me like a slave. But we have to go, so I guess I’m prepared to leave.”

Sark nodded and offered his arm to her. “I hope you don’t mind. I parked my car a few streets over. We have to cut through your back yard and your neighbor’s too, but it will keep us from being detected together.”

Sydney nodded. “I wish you had told me. I may have worn more sensible shoes.”

“Sydney, we both know that you do your best work in amazingly high, uncomfortable shoes. Besides, I recall those particular ones.” He pointed to her feet. “They definitely hurt when they’re being slammed into one’s head.”

She laughed and linker her arm in his. “Let’s go.”

The drive to the address Simon provided them was surprisingly short. It made Sydney suspicious of who might be at the party. “Awfully convenient that this gathering is being held in such close proximity to my place of employment,” she whispered in Sark’s ear as they headed to the front door of the building.

“Are you scared that you’re going to run into some of your co-workers?”

“Terrified. But like you keep telling me, the end product of tonight might make all this fear and questioning worth it.”

“That’s my girl.” Sark padded Sydney’s hand lightly.

“Here we go,” Sydney whispered as the guards pulled the massive doors open for them to enter.

Sydney stared in shock at all the familiar faces she saw sitting at their own individual tables in the grand room. Quickly she yanked Sark away from where anyone could spot them and shoved him into a small nook to which she was sure no one was paying attention.

“What was that all about?” he asked. “We only stepped two feet into this place and you’re already freaking out.“ He was willing to believe her without question if Sydney thought they needed to hide, but he did want a little explanation.

“Did you not notice any of the people sitting in that room?” Sark shrugged his shoulders. “Are you a spy or what? Jesus!”

“Breathe, Sydney,” Sark whispered noticing that she was coming close to hyperventilating. “Now who exactly is in there?”

“A s***load of people who shouldn’t see us together,” she whispered back. Sark just gave her a confused look. “It’s not that I’m embarrassed to be coming here with you. I mean, we were both invited.”

“Thanks. Good to know you think so highly of me, Agent Bristow.”

“Don’t play the role of the wounded British guy who gets offended easily,” she scolded. “I know it’s an act. So cut it out.“ Sark smiled at her. “It’s just that there are a lot of people in there that won’t understand why you and I are so chummy with one another. We’re going to get nothing out of this whole gathering because you and I are going to spend it defending ourselves to everyone present.”

“Who’s in there that has you so riled up?” he asked again hoping this time she would give him a clear answer.

“For starters, I saw Anna Espinosa in there. You may have heard of her. About three years ago, she was the best agent the K-Directorate had. Then she dropped off of the face of the earth. I assumed that she had been killed on a mission. Anna was my ‘nemesis’ before a certain cocky bastard came on the scene.”

Sark winked at her. “You know you loved having me around. You were practically begging for someone who can challenge you to appear.”

“And then there’s the small problem of Vaughn’s wife, Lauren, being here.”

“Where?” Sark asked sticking his head out from their hiding place. “I haven’t gotten a look yet at the woman who’s turned your life upside down.”

“Get back in here. She’s sitting with her father over at the far table.” Sydney allowed Sark to subtly peak his head out again. “I think that’s her father she’s with. Funny. Vaughn said she was visiting her sister’s tonight.”

“Of course she lied to him. The invitation did say tell no one on pain of death. She‘s definitely not as pretty as you are, Sydney.”

Sydney rolled her eyes. “And then there’s my mother and father.”

“They’re here? Together?” Sark began looking around wildly. “Has hell frozen over and no one’s told me about it? Because there’s a couple girls back in primary school that owe me some dates.”

She smacked his arm. “Stop joking around. This is serious. Why would my mother and father be here together? They hate each other.”

“Shouldn’t we be focusing on the fact that your father doesn’t know I’m alive?”

Sydney gave him a dirty glance. That was the least of their problems.

Sark smiled at her innocently. “Way I heard it they had a sort of reconciliation when you went missing. Joined together to find out what really happened to you. Situations like that tend to bring people together. It’s not so unbelievable.”

“If you’ve heard the way he talks about her, then you’d think it was pretty f***ing unbelievable,” Sydney hissed. “But if we get past the weirdness of them being together, we still have to deal with the issue that my father will see you with me. That won’t make him happy. And my mother won’t be happy that you quit her employment just to cozy up to her other daughter, the one you haven’t been engaged to before.”

“Are you asking for a ring, Sydney? Because that might be moving a little too fast for me. We’ve only just begun this relationship.”

“Can’t you ever be serious?” She usually liked Sark’s constant sarcasm and humor, but at this moment it was starting to get on her nerves.

“What can I say, you bring out the most inappropriate behavior in me.”

Sydney sighed again and grasped his arm. “Well, there’s no way around it. We just have to walk in there like we don’t care who else is in there.”

“A great decision,” Sark said with a smirk.

“Just don’t try to talk to my father. I don’t fancy cleaning blood stains off of this dress.”

Sark led her straight down the middle aisle to a vacant table that had name cards bearing their names. Sydney was quite curious when Sark had found the time to figure out that this was the table they were designated to sit at. “Maybe I shouldn’t underestimate him. He may have been gone for two years just like me, but he‘s still as sharp as I am,” she thought to herself.

“Sydney,” Sark said breaking into her thoughts. “Your father is on his way over.”

“This should be good.” Sydney turned and watched her father stalk over to their table. “Hi, Dad.”

“What are you doing here with this bastard?” her father hissed. “Who might I add is supposed to have been dead for over two years now.

“I could ask you the same question, minus the dead part of course,” she said nodding to where her mother was still sitting attentively watching and listening to this conversation. “Who I spend my time with is none of your business, Dad, if you can’t even tell me that you have a relationship with Mom again.”

“It’s complicated, Sydney.”

“Well, this is complicated, too.” Sydney gestured back and forth from her to Sark. “I guess that means I don’t have to explain it either.”

“If you knows what’s good for you, you’ll come over to my table and sit with your mother and I.”

“Honestly, Dad, I feel more safe right here. Unlike you, he always tells me the truth even when it hurts. I’ve needed someone to talk to over the past few months, and he was there for me. He understands. You weren’t there. You were off, presumably, with my mother doing god knows what for god knows whom. What’s happened to you?”

“Sydney, you’ll have to trust me. Your mother and I are working to make your life a happier one. I can’t explain anymore. But I want you to know that everything we’re doing is for you.”

Sydney sighed. “Fine. If you want to join the club of people who are holding the truth from me, then that’s okay with me. Just don’t rub it in my face that you know something I can never know. All the lying that‘s been going on is starting to make me uneasy twenty four hours a day.”

“You name what you need me to do to make you feel more comfortable, sweet heart, and I’ll do it.”

“Leave,” she responded.

“Excuse me.”

“I’ll feel much better if you and Mom weren’t here. If you stay, I have a feeling I’ll end up being worried about you or having to risk my life to save yours. I can’t take that added pressure right now. I need to know that you won’t make this whole thing harder for me. Something important is going to happen tonight if I can stay on top of my game. So, please, just take Mom and leave.”

Jack nodded. “We’ll leave, but I want you to call me on my cell phone if you get into any jams. You may be worried about having to save us, but don’t forget I’m also worried that with me leaving, you’ll have no one to watch your back.

“I have Sark.” She stared defiantly at her father, daring him to challenge her.

“I can see that. Remember, I’m just a phone call away if you need me.”

“Thank you, Dad.”

Jack nodded one more time and walked back to his table. Sydney watched him fight with her mother for a few minutes, and then the couple left their table and walked out the doors Sydney and Sark had entered through.

“That’s two less people to worry about,” Sark said. “Good work.”

“Thank you.” Sydney scanned around the room. “Now I just have to figure out why Lauren Vaughn is here.”

Sydney didn’t have much time to think about the problem that Lauren was causing and the exact reason that she was present at this gathering. Simon Walker had chosen that moment to make his grand entrance. Sark came back from wherever he had wandered off to a few minutes earlier in time to see Simon nod at several different people as he worked his way to the front of the room. When he reached his destination, he scanned the room trying to gage which of his guests had neglected to show up.

“Well, it looks like most of you took my invitation seriously. Good. Because I have something that you all want. A few weeks ago, I came across some interesting information. You all know of the prophecy that Milo Rambaldi predicted in the book that the lovely Sydney Bristow stole from K-Directorate about three years ago, correct?”

The room bustled with the sounds of people whispering, clearing their throats, and trying to figure out what Simon Walker was hinting at.

“I’ll take that as a yes. It seems that the CIA has cracked part of the prophecy and discovered an even more important prophecy. But I’m getting ahead of myself. The woman in Rambaldi’s prophecy has been identified as Kaylee Derevko, the daughter of Irina Derevko and an American CIA agent, Jack Bristow. She also happens to be the sister of the previously mentioned Sydney Bristow.”

Sydney grasped Sark’s arm harshly as she felt him try to stand up. “Don’t let your heart control your actions,” she hissed. “He’s not insulting Kaylee. He’s just sharing information that we already knew. So don’t try to be her knight in shining armor. Or at least wait until she’s actually present.”

“Therefore,” Simon continued, “Kaylee is meant to have render the greatest power unto utter desolation. For years, most of us believed that to mean the woman in the prophecy was going to create or find a weapon that would be most useful. Or she was going to discover some information that will give her control over most of us present here tonight.” Simon paused dramatically. “We were wrong. The prophecy should have been taken to a more literal sense. Kaylee was prophesized to provide the greatest power or the key to complete devastation. Of what? No one’s sure of that.”

“Get to the point, Walker,” a gruff Russian man yelled from the back of the room.

“Patience, comrade. Kaylee Derevko had a child two years ago. By doing that, she in a sense rendered a new life to existence. That child is the key to complete devastation.”

Sark leaned over to Sydney and asked, “Did you know that?” She nodded and continued to stare at Simon through squinted eyes.

“That is why we’re here tonight. This little kid just became the hottest property in the game. I have the location of where this child and mommy dearest are staying. Play your cards right and it will be yours.” With that, Simon walked out of the room leaving everyone buzzing about where exactly this key was.

Sydney turned to Sark. “You realize this means that he has the address of Kaylee’s home written down somewhere.”

“All I’m thinking about is how much danger this whole thing is going to put Kaylee in.”

“Let that go for now, Sark. Focus on the job we have to do. Simon invited you and I for a reason. There also had to be a reason why he wanted us to come together. I think I’ve figured it out. He’s going to let everyone here try to figure out where he would have kept the location that we’re all now seeking. So, it has to be in this building somewhere. I think he wanted you and I here to make it more difficult. There’s no way in hell that we’re going to let anyone come within ten miles of her.” Sydney paused for a second and then screamed, “s***!”

“What’s the matter?”

“I shouldn’t have sent my parents away. They were here to help us protect Kaylee. Now it’s just you and me.”

“Okay.” Sark took a deep breath. “We’re just going to have to figure out where this object that tells Kaylee’s location is before anyone else does. While we’re searching, we can try to figure out the answer to another obvious question.”

“Which would be?”

“If you, me, Irina, and Jack were the only four invited here to protect Kaylee, then why is Michael Vaughn’s wife here?”

Realization dawned on Sydney’s face as Sark pulled her to her feet and began to walk quickly in the direction that Simon Walker had left.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

A few minutes later, they discovered Simon Walker sitting by himself in what appeared to be an office.

“Sydney, Sark, I figured you would be the first two to find me,” he said putting his feet up on his desk and reclining back in the chair. “You two were always the most promising spies out there. Funny that it took me to force you two to team up.”

“Don’t flatter yourself,” Sydney snarled in disgust. “If it hadn’t been for you, Sark and I would have not only been friends, but we would have become family over two years.”

“That’s right. You were taking a dip in that gene pool, weren’t you?” He smirked at Sark.

“Where did you write down Kaylee’s location, Walker?” Sark snarled.

“Right here.” He held up a piece of paper in his hand. Sighing, he stood up from his chair and began to walk over to the other two. About halfway around his desk, he paused. “Do you hear that?”

“What?” Sydney asked taking the bait.

“I think we’re about to have company.” Simon smiled at her.

“Give me the paper, Walker. And I won’t hurt you,” she yelled. “Too much, that is.”

Simon was about to make a comment back to her when the window behind him shattered. Before he realized what was happening, a woman was on top of him ripping the paper out of his hands. “Beautiful entrance, Ms. Espinosa.”

“Hello, Sydney,” Anna said as she stood up. “Looks like I’m going to be paying your sister a visit.”

Anna bolted for the door and made it out before Sydney or Sark could process she was trying to escape. “We have to get that paper from her,” Sydney screamed as they began to run after her.

Sark nodded and pulled a gun out of his jacket. “Being friends with a cold-blooded killer can be to your advantage at times.”

The duo ran swiftly down the hallway right behind Anna. As soon as they got within range, Sark began firing his gun at her. Anna ducked into a room off the hallway, and Sydney followed. As soon as she entered the room, the lights went out.

“Looks like Simon’s on my side,” Anna said. Sydney pinpointed her location somewhere to her left and up a little. She took a blind swing at the air and wasn’t surprised when she didn’t connect with anything.

“Sydney?” Sark asked from the doorway. “Are you all right?”

Sydney chose not to answer. She was trying to concentrate on tracking Anna’s position.

“I think she might have gotten a little scared of the dark and decided to hide.”

Sydney listened closely to where Anna’s voice was coming from and made her way slowly over to the right side of the room. She swung hard again and this time connected with a face. She grasped the person’s arm tightly so they couldn’t make a getaway.

“Sark?” she called.

“I’m still in the doorway, Sydney.”

“Stay there. I have her, and she’s not getting away.” Now that Sydney knew she had Anna in her grip, she threw a knee hard into Anna’s midsection and heard a satisfying groan. She whipped her around into a headlock and hissed into her ear, “Give me the paper and I’ll let you go.”

“I don’t believe you. There’s no way both of us are getting out of this one alive.”

“My bet’s on Sydney,” Sark called from the doorway. “She has a nasty habit of winning. And I don’t think you can really kill her. I mean, how many times have you come back from the dead?”

Sydney couldn’t take the time to answer as she felt Anna begin to struggle to get out of her grip. She punched her hard in the face. Anna suddenly made herself into dead weight, and Sydney tumbled the ground. Before she could recover, Anna punched her hard in the temple. Sydney lashed out to get a grip on her again but was mad to feel just air all around her.

“She got away, Sark,” Sydney yelled.

“I’m aware of that,” Sark answered back.

The lights flicked back on, and Sydney saw that Anna had taken Sark’s gun away from him and was holding it to his head.

“Looks like I got your boyfriend,” Anna taunted.

“I’m not her bloody boyfriend. Why does everyone assume that I am?” Sark looked over to where Sydney was standing. “Syd, don’t worry about me. My life doesn’t mean anything. Just get the paper back from her.”

“Oooo,” Anna whispered. “Do we have a martyr here?”

Before either Sydney could make a move, Anna shoved Sark out of the doorway and into the room. “Bye bye for now!” she called as she slammed the door shut.

Sydney immediately ran to try the doorknob. “She locked us in.”

“And there are no windows and no vents. We’re stuck in a box.”

“And she’s going after Kaylee.”
Sark kicked the door as hard as he could manage for the tenth time that minute.

“I’ve never seen you show such emotion,” Sydney said. She was truly shocked that he was actually behaving like this upset him. He was the one who was supposed to be keeping his calm, and she was the one who was supposed to be erupting with emotions.

“The woman I love is being hunted down by a person you’ve admitted to almost being your equal. Sydney, if she has half the talent you do, Kaylee is in deep trouble.”

“But Kaylee is just as good as me. Anyway, they’re going after her child. You’d be surprised at how much strength a mother whose child’s life is in jeopardy can have. I‘ve seen it in my mother‘s eyes a few times when she talks about Kaylee.”

Sark slumped in acceptance of what she was saying. “I just wished we could get out of here.” He began to look around the room for any sign of an escape route.

“There’s nothing,” she admitted. “We’re just going to have to wait until someone realizes that we’re locked in here.”

The pair kept scanning the room in a silent agreement that they couldn’t just sit still and let the situation play out. Sark started to feel behind paintings for some type of switch. He knew it was pretty unrealistic for him to find one, but there had been a couple times this tactic had saved him from a jam. After going all the way around the room, he turned his attention back to Sydney. He noticed that she had stopped searching through the desk she was sitting at. Instead, she was biting her nails in a surprisingly nervous manner.

“Don’t tell me you’re getting claustrophobic,” Sark said. “Because that would just be an incredible cliché. Not to mention something that I don‘t want to have to deal with right now.”

“No, I’m just thinking about something I have to do rather soon. It’s going to piss my sister off so much, but I have to.”

“You’re sounding incredibly suspicious. And you’re not making any sense.”

Sydney just smiled weakly at him.

“I know something that will cheer you up,” Sark said as he sat in front of her on the desk. “I bet at dinner you were wondering where I disappeared to those few minutes before Walker made his entrance.”

“I was wondering at the time, but I think now I have more important issues on my mind.”

“Well, you can forget those for the time being. It doesn’t help to dwell on things you can alter or fix.” Sark smiled deviously at his companion. “I had to place a very important phone call, and then I had a nice conversation with our ‘friend’, Lauren Vaughn.”

“Really?” Sydney said. Now she was definitely intrigued.

“I found out a few things that will make you very happy.”

“You figured out why exactly she was here?”

“It seems that it all has to do with your mother and father really.”

“My parents are always mixed up in the events that affect my life the most. Why should this be any different?”

“Remember hearing that your parents, in their search for you, stumbled upon a list of higher ups in the Covenant?”

“Yes, that’s what got my Mom her pardon. She and Dad gave the CIA information that they said would speed up their mission to destroy the Covenant like the Alliance was destroyed. To bad they couldn’t have figure out that I was alive. Then I could have been found, and this whole mess wouldn’t be happening.” She threw her hands up in disgust.

Sark chose to ignore her little tirade. “Well, one of the more influential people on the list was the real reason they weren’t acting on the intel. Now until they realized where the whole thing led to and who was involved.”

“I suppose I should be pressuring you to get to the point, but we have a long while before someone finds us. So take your time. Beat around the point all you want.”

He rolled his eyes. “Anyway, it was Senator Reed who your mother and father uncovered. He’s been working with the Covenant for at least two years now. In fact, he’s slowly become one of the higher officials in the organization.”

“Lauren’s father is a member of the Covenant?” Sydney knew that Sark had been building up to something that would be huge, but this was unbelievable.

“That’s what I was talking to Lauren about. After the phone call to my source, I let her know that I knew her daddy wasn’t exactly playing nice with the American government. I made it sound like I was going to blackmail her. Typical me behavior, you know. I figured she wouldn’t get suspicious if I was behaving exactly as everyone would expect me to act. Then she asked me what I was doing here with you. Honestly, I wonder myself sometimes.”

“She should know that I can’t go anywhere without my worse half. It makes me look so much better.” Sydney flipped her hair over her shoulder vainly.

He continued explaining. “I fed her some bulls*** about using you to try to regain my footing in the spy world. I have to admit I still have the gift of being a good liar.”

“And you’re still a cocky bastard,” Sydney said with a laugh.

“There was a particular bit of information I found out that I didn’t tell Lauren. It seems Daddy isn’t the only one working with the Covenant these days. Lauren Reed isn’t exactly who she claims she is. She’s not even Senator Reed’s daughter.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Senator Reed’s daughter died eighteen months when she was visiting family back in the U.K. The Senator kept her death extremely quiet for multiple reasons. The most important reason dealt with his workings within the Covenant. Seems they had been developing a body-doubling program that would allow people to completely assume the identities of others. They used that program on one of the Covenant’s best spies.”

“They made her into Senator Reed’s daughter.”

“And he went along with it. You want to talk about emotionless bastards. He’s a hell of a lot worse than I ever was. He reintegrated his fake daughter into his political and personal life. And she got a job with the National Security Council. My guess would be her assignment was to infiltrate the United States government and act as a mole. It seems like she’s been succeeding in it that.”

“What I don’t understand is if the government knew this why didn’t they move on this information?” she asked.

“They did. Only it was in a different way than anyone would guess. It was all Dixon’s idea. When your mother and father came to him with the information that Senator Reed was a member of the Covenant, Dixon figured that the infiltration of the CIA by the Covenant must go a little deeper than that. He decided to hold the information in hopes of discovering who else in our government was working with the Covenant.”

Sydney nodded, urging him to continue. “The CIA received some intel on the Covenant’s doubling operations. This was also kept silent at Dixon’s request. At this point, he was beginning to suspect Lauren Reed was a traitor. This is where Vaughn factors in to the whole situation.”

“He was caught up in this mess, too?”

“Of course he is. He did marry Lauren Reed.” Sark paused. “Let’s take a step back. Agent Vaughn has to have told you how he met his future wife.”

“He briefly mentioned that he met her when he was doing his mandatory counseling.”

“He did go through counseling to deal with your death, Sydney. He didn’t lie to you when he said that it practically destroyed him. Vaughn was off active duty for six months in which all he did was go to counseling session after counseling session. By the end of that period, he had begun to pull his life back together. That was around the time that your parents brought the intel to the CIA. Dixon was beginning to put two and two together. He needed an agent to do some infiltrating for the CIA, if you know what I mean.”

“So he picked the one agent he knew would have enough determination to want to bring down the organization that was now affiliated with Simon Walker.”

“The agent who everyone was looking down upon because of his complete breakdown. Vaughn was the perfect candidate. He didn’t have much left in his life, so he risked it all to bring Lauren Reed and her ‘father’ to justice.”

“Weiss has been hinting about the fact that Vaughn and Dixon have been hiding something from me.”

“Yeah, that would the sham he calls a marriage. He dated Lauren Reed and regained his status with the CIA. They saw the improvements he gained from the counseling and realized he was moving on with Lauren. Vaughn had discussed with Dixon previously that he was willing to go as far as need to get this assignment done.”

“Which is why he went as far as marrying that monster.” Sydney couldn’t believe what Sark was telling her. She was almost too shocked to think clearly, but there was enough clarity present for at least one question to dawn on her. “How did you find out all this information in the few minutes that you disappeared?”

“I had my suspicions about Senator Reed before tonight. I had figured out most of the story from information I had received before my ‘death’ and from intel I’ve gathered since returning. The Lauren/Vaughn part was new to me, though. If I had known any of that, Sydney, you know I would have told you immediately.”

“I know, Andrew.” She put her hand on his shoulder to show her trust. “You’ve really shown me who you really are these past few months. I want to thank you for that.”

“You’re not going to get sentimental on me. Are you, Agent Bristow?”

“Of course. I’m a woman. It’s what we do when we’re trapped in rooms with no idea when we’ll be rescued.” He laughed. “Honestly, though, I want to tell you that I think your theory about me being a good you and you being a bad me might be slightly wrong. I think we’re essentially the same person. We’re both good inside. If you can’t see that, you’re just blind.”

“I think that this whole trapped thing is getting to your head,” he joked.

Sydney smiled at him. “You made my night by investigating the Lauren situation and then telling me what was going on.”

“I know.”

“So, I want to do something nice for you in return.”

“If you’re offering me your body, Sydney, I don’t know if I’m in a position to say no.”

“You jerk!” she yelled. “Can’t you ever be serious?”

“Only with the people I don’t care about.”

“You remember I was nervous about something earlier?”

“There was a mention of something you had to tell someone that would piss your sister off completely.”

“Well--” Sydney was about to tell him when there was a large knock on the door. Someone was screaming her name on the other side.

i just finished reading this story and it is 3 am. i don't stay up till 3 reading just any story, so u should be flattered! :D could you add me to the pm list? i can't wait for more!

I should have a larger update by this weekend. ;)

Chapter 58

“Dad? Is that you?” Sydney yelled from her half of the wall.

“Sydney! I’m going to pick the lock and get you out of there,” she heard her mother yell from the other side.

“Then you can explain to us what the hell is going on and how you ended up locked in a room,” her father added.

After about thirty seconds, Sydney and Sark heard the lock click open. They threw open the door and rushed into the hallway. Neither would admit it, but they were both getting slightly claustrophobic. The office they were locked in really hadn’t been that large.

“Are you all right?” Jack said, walking over to where his daughter was leaning on the wall.

“I’m fine. We have to get to Kaylee though. Walker was auctioning off her location and the location of the child from the prophecy, aka Grayson, tonight. Anna Espinosa fought us for the piece of paper the location was written on, and she locked us in that room,” Sydney explained.

“She’s on her way right now to kidnap Kaylee and Grayson. So we have to keep moving,” Sark insisted.

The foursome started to swiftly make their way out of the building. Sydney pulled her father back away from where Sark and Irina were walking.

“I wanted to ask you if you knew about Lauren Reed being a member of the Covenant,” she whispered. She really didn’t trust her mother that much and would rather this whole conversation not include her in any way.

“Yes. I don’t know how you found out about that.”

“Sark figured it all out. He told me while we were stuck in that room. He understood how bad I needed to know that Vaughn hadn’t given up on me. Obviously, you didn’t.”

“I knew how much you needed to know about Lauren, Sydney. I just couldn’t jeopardize the whole operation we had been working on for over a year just to give you piece of mind. You know the sacrifices we agreed to make when we took jobs with the CIA.”

“I know,” Sydney admitted. “Who else knew about Lauren?”

“It was just Dixon, Vaughn, Weiss, and I. We had to keep it secret if it was going to work.” Jack chuckled. “The timing of this is incredibly ironic. Dixon had just agreed that it was time to take Lauren and her father into custody. We were going to bring them in tomorrow. Simon Walker’s gathering has definitely put a damper in our plans. I can’t focus on my job when your sister’s life is in danger.”

“I need you to focus on just that, Dad,” Sydney instructed. “I need you to do that for me. Sark and I can handle the Kaylee situation. We’re completely wrapped up in it, just as you are wrapped up in the operation to bring down the Covenant. We can’t sacrifice that just to keep Kaylee and Grayson safe. I know that they’re extremely important in the grand scheme of things. But it’s the same reason you couldn’t tell me the truth about Lauren. You need to go ahead as planned and bring them into U.S. custody tomorrow.” Sydney looked up at her father. “Promise me you will.”

“I promise,” Jack said reluctantly. “But I want you to know that I’ll still be right there if you need help with your situation.”

“I know that, Dad.”

The group reached the parking lot, and they all knew it was time to split up. They recognized that their missions were no longer the same. Sydney turned to her father and whispered in his ear, “Don’t think I’m not going to want an explanation of the whole situation you have with Mom.”

Jack nodded and grabbed Irina’s arm to lead her to where he had parked their car. Sydney turned to Sark and motioned for him to follow her to their vehicle.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Sark was driving in silence along an L.A. freeway trying to get to Kaylee’s house as soon as possible. He was hoping that Sydney would continue with what she had been about to tell him before Jack and Irina had interrupted them. It had seemed extremely important.

After another five minutes of silence, he decided that he was going to have to ask her. “What were you going to tell me before your parents freed us?”

Sydney broke out of the trance she was in staring out the window. She looked at Sark’s face for a few moments and then started talking. “First, I want you to know I’ve wanted to tell you this, but Kaylee made me promise not to. And then I didn’t want to tell you when we were trapped in the room because it would have doubled your frustration at being locked in that room.”

“I’m going to remind you of something you said in that room. You said that we had all the time in the world to talk things through. But I also want to remind you that we’re no longer in that room. So get to the point.” He made a sharp right turn that squealed the tired of his BMW.

“You always assumed that since Grayson’s last name was Tippin that my sister had had a child with Will, correct?”

“Of course.”

“Grayson isn’t Will’s son.” Sydney saw Sark glance over at her in confusion as he veered the car to the left. “This is a s***ty time to be telling you this, but when she came back to L.A. with me, the CIA did some tests on her and realized that she was pregnant. They figured out the child she was caring would factor in to the Rambaldi prophecy.”

“His prophecy spoke of a child?” Sark asked.

“The prophecy in the book you recovered from Antarctica and the one I stole from my mother’s office, it talked of a child being the greatest power the woman in the previous prophecy would render unto this world. The child was to come from the purest of loves between a woman of a light heart and a man of a dark past.”

“I don’t understand what you’re trying to tell me, Sydney,” he admitted.

“That woman with the light heart was obviously my sister. She didn’t have a worry in the world when she was with you, Sark. I’ve never seen anyone as happy as she was when she talked of you. I couldn’t accept it at the time. But I think I understand where she was coming from now.”

“I’m glad to hear that.”

“The man with a dark past…” Sydney paused. “That’s you, Sark. What I’ve been trying to tell you is that Grayson isn’t Will’s son or the son of some random guy that Kaylee meet after she thought you were dead.”

“Are you trying to tell me…” Sark’s voice faded out. He couldn’t get himself to form the words he knew he needed to say.

“He’s your son, Andrew.” Sydney looked out her window again. “And he’s in trouble.”

Sark didn’t say anything. He just pushed the accelerator to the floor.

sark is getting angry! that was really good. i can't wait to see if kaylee and grayson are at the house or if they have already been kidnapped. thanks for the pm!!!

love your fic. it took me ages to read it but it was well worth it. could you please send me a PM when you next update?

Chapter 59 through 61

Kaylee looked over at two of her favorite men who were currently napping next to her on the coach. She should have known when she saw someone had turned on cartoons that Will and Grayson would pass out almost immediately. It was hard to understand why cartoons did this to both a grown man and a two-year-old child, but it was amusing at the very least.

Sighing, she stood up and gently removed a sleeping Grayson from Will’s arms, intending to take him to sleep in the bed in his room. Usually when he watched cartoons, it put him out for at least four hours.

Will’s eyes popped open as the weight of Grayson’s body was lifted off of him. “Hey,” he whispered. “What are you doing?”

“I’m putting Grayson in his room. I’ll be right back,” she whispered back to him.

True to her word, a few minutes later she returned and took her seat next to Will on the coach.

“Cartoons again?” he asked, rubbing his eyes.

“Yeah. There’s got to be something wrong with you two. Cartoons are supposed to be exciting. They aren’t made to put you to sleep.” She smiled at him.

“So have you talked to your mother lately?” he asked.

“No. I told her that I still loved her, trusted her, even missed her. But that was a lie. It’s going to take a massive revelation to make me want her in my life. And then I’m not even sure if I want her in Gray’s life.”

“You still love her, Kaylee. I know you do. She’s your mother, the one who raised you. You just can’t turn that off.”

“Can we talk about something else?” she asked.

He just stared back at her and suddenly got a more serious look on his face.

“What?” she asked.

“You want to talk about something else. Fine. What are we doing here, Kaylee? I mean, what is this really?”

She sighed lightly. “I know. This whole situation is so screwed up. I didn’t mean to be such a large burden on you and your life, Will.”

“Don’t give me that,” he said sitting up straight. “You know that neither you nor Grayson were ever a burden to me.”

“I know. But sometimes I can’t help but think that’s exactly what we are and you just don’t realize it.” She paused for a moment. “We’re holding you back from having a real life, Will.”

“What if the real life I want is right here with you and Gray?”

“It’s not. We both know that.”

“Why can’t it be?” Will was starting to get a little frustrated with where this conversation was heading, and he was also a little confused as to how it went sour so quickly.

“You’re not Gray’s father. We’ve always known that. Someday I’m going to have to tell him that. He’ll be really confused, and I think it would just be easier if he didn’t look on you as a father.”

“I could be his father if you would just let me, Kaylee.” Will placed his hand lightly on her cheek and rubbed her face gently.

She couldn’t help but lean in to the affection he was showing her. Affection was an emotion she hadn’t seen much of in such a long while. She found her thoughts drawn to Sark as they were a million times each day. Wrapped up in these reflections, she didn’t notice Will lean in close to her and press his lips delicately to hers.

Not thinking or more precisely thinking of Sark, she kissed him back softly but pulled back when she finally realized what she was doing. She was too embarrassed to look him in the eye.

“I know you’re telling the truth,” Will finally said.

“You do?”

“I’ve kissed you before. Each time it’s exactly the same. I feel the love you have for me, but there’s no passion there. There never really was in our relationship. We’ve always just been friends who would give the world for one another, haven’t we?”

“I think we always will be, no matter what changes. And you’ll always be a part of Gray’s life and mine. I don’t think I can live without you anymore.”

Will smiled at her. “I guess I’m just not destined to be with a Bristow woman.”

“And you tried so hard,” Kaylee said sympathetically.

“Don’t patronize me, you heartbreaker you. I’m hurting inside right now.”

“See?” Kaylee said pointing her finger at him. “If you really loved me and wanted to spend the rest of your life with me, you wouldn’t be joking about it.”

“You were right about that. I guess I just thought that we’ve been happy together for so many months now. It’s been good. Really good. And I wouldn’t mind staying like this for years.”

“Neither would I. But it wouldn’t be fair to you, and it wouldn’t be fair to me, and it wouldn’t be fair to Gray. You deserve to find a woman who you feel both passion and love for. You deserve to create a family with her. A family of children that can call you Dad and it would be the whole truth.”

“I know,” Will said softly. “But it’s still going to be hard not thinking of Grayson as my son.”

“You’ve played the father role with him so long. Of course it’s going to be hard giving that up. I’ve always known that we should have had this conversation a long time ago. It might have hurt a little less if we had. But you’ll always be a part of his life. He loves you almost as much as he loves me.”

“But it’s time that he loves Sark, too,” Will admitted.

“Let’s leave him out of this conversation,” Kaylee said. “I should never have confided in you that he was alive and had come to see me. I knew you would bring it up at the exact moment I didn‘t want to discuss it.”

“Yes, you should have confided in me like you did,” he argued. “You needed to talk to someone about it. Someone who was more objective.”

“Will, you’re not an objective observer. Sark kidnapped and tortured you. You hate the guy. That definitely eliminates you from being objective.”

“I detest him. That’s true. But I’ve been around you so much that I would be lying if I said I still hated him as strongly as I once did. It seems to me that I don’t really know all the complexities this guy has. And plus, if you loved him once, he can’t be all bad. Because you are not the kind of person who would love an evil man.”

Kaylee just stared back at him in defiant silence. She really didn’t want to talk about Sark.

“And I think he does need to be mentioned. You still love him, Kaylee. You know you do. So why don’t you just go tell him that? Make yourself as happy as you once were. He’s alive, and he’s out there. That should be enough to convince you to give it a second chance.”

“It was so hard to find happiness the first time. I don’t know if I have the strength to fight for it like that again,” she answered truthfully.

“I know you have the strength. You’re one of the strongest people I’ve ever known, and it’s what you really want. And I think you wouldn’t be the only person fighting for it. He still loves you as much as you love him. He wants you as much as you want him. Can’t you see that by now? I mean, he made the effort to get Sydney to accept who he was. He saved her life in Cairo. That has to give you a hint towards how he feels about you.”

“Honestly, I don’t know why I tell you practically everything that goes on. It always comes back to bite me in the face.”

“You’re still avoiding the situation, Kaylee. Admit that he’s who you really want to be raising Gray with you, not me. Then get off your lazy butt and make it happen.”

Kaylee smiled at her friend. “Why are you always right?”

“It’s a gift,” he said with a nonchalant shrug of his shoulders. “Plus I’ve had years of practicing on Sydney.”

“Where do I start?” she asked.

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” said a voice from their front door. “But it looks like your little reunion with your lost beau is going to have to wait for a little while, maybe even indefinitely.”

“Who the hell are you and how did you get in here?” Kaylee yelled. She was cursing herself for not having locked the door when she let herself into the house earlier.

“My name’s Anna Espinosa. You can call me an acquaintance of your sister’s. A business rival, if you must. I’m not here to cause you any trouble. I’ll just run upstairs and kidnap your child and leave.”

“Like hell you will!” Will yelled. He got up, not knowing what he was going to do, but knowing that something needed to be done.

Before he could register what was happening, Anna had drawn a gun and shot him in the arm. Instinctively, he grasped his arm to slow the bleeding as he lay on the floor where the gunshot had kicked him back.

“Your fist mistake was actually telling me you were here to kidnap my child,” Kaylee said as she stood up. “Your second mistake was shooting my best friend. Your third, and largest, mistake was going for him first before you took me out. He’s not the one you need to be worried about.”

Anna started to shoot at Kaylee, but Kaylee managed to duck behind the kitchen counter. She scanned the kitchen for the signs of a weapon. Her eyes came to rest on a butcher’s knife that was sitting in the knife block on the counter. Hoping that Anna wasn’t that great a shot, she took her chances and stood up to grab the knife.

Anna let loose a few more shots, one which grazed the top of Kaylee’s hand. She quickly ducked back down into her hiding position and wiped the blood off of her hand. Wasting no more time searching for weapons she would never be able to get to, she sprang up for her hiding position, vaulting over the counter in the direction of Anna.

A quick kick to the knee and then to the back sent Anna face first into the floor and the gun flying across the room. Anna recovered quickly and kicked Kaylee’s feet out from under. Then she swiftly positioned herself on top Kaylee, effectively pinning her down. She leaned down and whispered in her ear, “Looks like your best friend is already passing out from loss of blood.”

Kaylee turned her head and looked over at Will. He had passed out. His body was losing blood even faster now that he wasn’t conscious to keep pressure on the wound. She knew Anna had pointed this out to make her feel like no one is around to help her out, but then Anna didn’t know her. This only made her want to fight harder.

She turned her attention back to Anna and smirked up at her.

“What?” Anna asked.

She was answered by a head bunt straight to her face. Grasping her head in pain, she fell off of Kaylee. Kaylee took the opening and proceeded to land a few more punches to Anna’s face. Anna backhanded her rather aggressively, and Kaylee found the momentum pushing her over the back of the coach.

When she stood up, she saw that Anna had fully recovered and had pulled another gun out. Before she could think of how to disarm her again, she felt something pinch her neck. She put her hand up and yanked out a dart.

“That would be a tranquilizer. It should numb your body completely, but you won‘t lose consciousness,” Anna informed her. “Fun, right? So, listen. I lied to you. I don’t just need your son. I need you, too. So you just sit tight while I get little Grayson, and we’ll be on our way.”

Kaylee slumped onto the coach as she began to lose feeling in her legs and arms. She watched as Anna disappeared up the stairs. Knowing this is her last effort to get help, she tried to reach her cell phone which was sitting on the coffee table. Her arm was inches away from it, but the feeling had completely left her hand.

“Don’t do that,” Anna said as she returned with Grayson in her arms. She picked up the cell phone and put it in her pocket. “I’ll be right back.”

She walked out the front door and returned about one minute later. “We’re going to have to take you out through the back door. I think a grown woman carrying another grown woman might alert the neighbors that something suspicious is going on.”

Anna picked her up and made her way through the kitchen and out the back door. As she placed Kaylee in the back seat next to her sleeping son, she smiled. “Don’t worry about Will Tippin. He’s not going to die. Your sister and the love of your life will probably bust in there guns blazing a few minutes after we leave. See, they both knew I was on my way to get you. Looks like we know who the better spy is. Doesn‘t look like they‘re going to make it here in time to save you.”

Anna started the car and pulled away from the house. She was surprised to pass a familiar BMW not even halfway down the street. “Good thing I remembered to find a car with tinted windows,” she said with a laugh. She waved at Sydney and Sark knowing that they couldn’t see her.

Sark pulled the car haphazardly into the driveway, and he and Sydney burst out of it full steam. They were hoping to just find Kaylee, Will, and Gray in the middle of another normal day. Both knew in the back of their heads and their hearts that this would not be the case.

Sydney started screaming her sister’s name the second she walked into the house and saw it in complete chaos.

“Syd…” she heard a voice mumbled from somewhere to her right.

Turning she saw Will sitting in a pool of blood. She rushed to his side and inspected his arm. “Sark, you need to call 911. Will’s been shot in the arm. He needs medical attention.”

“Sark?” Will asked thoroughly confused.

“Don’t worry. It’s okay,” Sydney said. She kept repeating that over and over because she didn’t know what else to say. Her sister and nephew had been kidnapped. One of her best friends was bleeding to death on the floor. For the first time in a long while, she didn’t know what to do.

Sark called to Sydney as soon as he saw the ambulance pull into the driveway. When he got no response, he walked over to where she was sitting with Will’s head on her lap. She was softly stroking his face.

“Syd?” he said softly. “Are you all right?”

“Yeah. It’s just a little hard to comprehend.”

Sark smiled down at her. “Here’s what we’re going to do. The ambulance is here. You’re going to go with them. Instruct them to take Will to a CIA hospital. He’s lost a lot of blood but I think he’s in a stable enough condition that he can make it to the nearest one.”

“No,” Sydney said shaking her head. “You and I need to stick together. We have to figure out where Anna took my sister and your son.”

“My son,” Sark whispered as he opened the front door for the paramedics. “Why does that sound so right?”

Sydney grinned at him. It was nice to see that at least someone could be happy in a time like this. “I can’t go with them.”

“You will.” Sark handed Sydney her cell phone. “Give your father a call. Let him know you’re coming into a CIA facility. I’m going to stick around here and give this place a closer look. There might be something here that will help us.”

“Promise you won’t go running off to save her without me.”

“I will definitely call before doing that.”

Sydney smiled and followed the paramedics who were wheeling Will out of the house on a gurney. She flipped through the numbers programmed into her cell phone and selected her father’s cell phone number.

“Sydney,” Jack answered. “What’s the matter?

“Hi, Dad. Sark and I made it to Kaylee’s house. She and Gray are gone. Will was shot in the arm, presumably by Anna. I’m in the ambulance on my way to the CIA facility near Kaylee’s neighborhood. Sark told me that I should call and check in with you.”

“I have my qualms about that man. But he does show extraordinary intelligence in high-pressure situations. I have some news that you should enjoy.”

“What?” Sydney asked. It sounded like he was almost excited to tell her his news. That means it had to be big. Her father barely ever got excited about anything.

“I convinced Dixon to move up our raid on the moles we’ve uncovered in the CIA. Senator Reed is currently in a helicopter on its way to one of our holding facilities. Lauren Reed is downstairs in the holding cells we have here at the headquarters.”

“That’s great,” Sydney said. She heard Will mutter something. “Hold on a moment, Dad.” She pulled the phone away from her ear. “Did you say something Will?”

“Good guys?” she heard him whisper.

“Always,” she said with a smile. She placed her right hand firmly in his and put the cell phone back up to her ear. “We’re almost there, Dad. I’m going to go.”

“Wait a moment, Sydney. There’s something else you need to know. I have quite a few people here with me who want to help you out with the Anna situation. Including your mother and I.”

“The more help, the better.” Sydney said. She didn’t want to admit it, but if her father was starting to trust her mother, some part of that had to be the truth. Her father had always hated her mother with a passion. If that changed, Irina must not be as horrible as the picture her father had built in Sydney’s mind since she was six-years-old.

“There’s something else you should know, Sydney.”

“Isn’t there always something else?” she said with a nervous laugh.

“I figured out what your mother’s agenda really was. It seems everything she’s done is just to keep her children safe from the Rambaldi prophecy. Every action of hers we’ve questioned was just to keep you and Kaylee safe. I lied to your sister.”

“You lie to everyone,” Sydney said calmly. “That’s not a new revelation.”

“No, I mean I told your sister that the only reason her mother got pregnant with her was that she was looking for a way to save you from the prophecy.”

“You didn’t!”

“I had to do whatever I could to get her away from Sark and Irina at the time. That was what convinced her to come with me to Los Angeles. I didn’t know how huge a lie it was at the time. Your mother left you and I twenty four years ago because she knew that Kaylee wouldn’t be safe with the CIA. She didn’t trust them.”

“They aren’t really good on keeping their operatives and their families safe. As evidenced by every single thing they’ve ever done to screw up my life.”

“She left you with me when she faked her own death because she knew she was pregnant. She figured that I could protect you and raise you so that the Rambaldi prophecy wouldn’t affect you.”

“Newsflash, Dad. It’s affecting me.”

“I know that. But you’re a hell of a lot safer than Kaylee is right now. Your mother knew she was pregnant with the child that would probably be fulfilling Rambaldi’s prophecy. That was the moment she dedicated her life to following Rambaldi’s work. She just wanted to learn more about what was to come in her daughter’s future.”

“So this was all about a mother’s love?” Sydney hoped out of the now parked ambulance as they pushed Will’s gurney into the emergency room.

“She just wanted both of you to be happy.”

“I’m going to have to think about that one for awhile. We’re at the hospital, Dad. Round up all those people you said were eager to help us as quickly as you can. As soon as you do that, we can use one of the briefing rooms here at the hospital. I’ll handle keeping Sark informed. When it’s all set up, I’ll tell him to meet us at the hospital.”

“I love you, Sydney,” her father said solemnly.

“I know.” She snapped her phone shut, took a deep breath, and stepped into the hospital.

Sydney sat by herself in one of the hospital’s empty rooms. She had left word at the front desk that anyone asking for her by name should be directed to this location. For the first week, she patiently waited for someone to show up. Will was in and out of consciousness. The doctors said the loss of blood was preventing a speedy recovery. Now he seemed to be making drastic improvements. He was on a normal sleep and eating schedule. Sydney was excited to finally be able to admit that he was going to be just fine.

Since leaving word at the front desk, she had begun to lose her hope that anyone was coming to help. It was nice that her father said people were interested in giving her a hand, but she really wasn’t counting on anyone being much help. She figured that it would just be some new interns or something that had heard of her and wanted to get into the action. Ever since that day she had taken down SD-6 with the CIA, it seemed like she had become a legend. Which was just crazy because she was a normal person.

She appreciated that people wanted to help her, but this rescue mission was going to be dangerous. She and Sark were probably the only ones prepared enough to actually go in to do the physical rescuing. And at this moment she didn’t want to have to deal with breaking a bunch of newbies hearts by telling them they weren’t good enough.

“Syd,” she heard someone say from the doorway.

She looked up at the last person she thought would be coming to help her. “Vaughn…” she whispered.

Sydney just stared at the man she loved with all her heart standing in the doorway of the hospital room. She didn’t even know where to begin. How do you start up a conversation about what to do now that his wife is in CIA custody and the sham that was his marriage will be ending? Finally, she managed to blurt out, “I wasn’t expecting you to be here.”

He smiled at her. “When have I not been there when you’ve needed my help? Excluding the whole kidnapping, missing two years thing. It’s part of the guardian angel job description.”

She smiled shyly at him and broke eye contact. “God, I haven’t felt like this since my days as a double agent,” she whispered.

“What?” he asked, sitting down on the hospital bed next to her.

“Shy when I’m around you. I don’t know what to say to you. I don‘t even know what I‘m allowed to say to you.”

“Sometimes words aren’t needed, Syd.” Vaughn slipped his arms around her and pulled her into a hug. “I want you to know that I never stopped loving you. Not once.”

Sydney stayed still for a minute savoring the feel of his body against hers. But then she pulled away. “I want to know what happened. I want to hear it in your words.”

Vaughn nodded. “I wasn’t lying to you when I said that your death destroyed me. My whole world imploded on me. Dixon, he really is a good man. He pretty much saved me. Forced me to go to CIA counseling and then he gave me my job back. And then some. He showed faith in me that no one else was willing to give. He gave me the assignment to get closer to Lauren Reed. I had met her a few times through my counseling. She was doing a deposition about some NSC investigation on the same floor my psychiatrist was.”

“So, Dixon asked you to get close to her.”

“She showed interest in me romantically. I had nothing to lose. I knew that I wouldn’t fall in love with her. I knew that I couldn’t. Now when I still loved you so much that it hurt. So I went with it. I formed a completely false relationship with her. Half the time, I was in complete disbelief that she was buying the lies I was feeding her. Nothing in our relationship happened normally. I didn’t even propose to her. She proposed to me.”

“No!” Sydney couldn’t help but laugh.

“Yeah. I said yes because I was still trying to gain solid information on her being an agent for the Covenant. And once again, you weren’t alive so I had no reason to say no.”

“I understand.”

“When you reappeared in Hong Kong, my heart tore in two. Because I thought you were gone forever, I had entered into a marriage that all of the sudden I would have given my life to get out of. Before I was sent to retrieve you from Hong Kong, I had a meeting with Dixon. He told me that there was no way I could tell you the truth about the situation with the Covenant and my marriage. It killed me to have to hide the truth from you.”

“It killed me not knowing the truth.” Sydney paused. “But Dixon was right. I wouldn’t have been able to handle it at the time. He was right to want to wait until you had taken them into custody.”

“It was hard, but I think I knew in my heart that he was right. Still, I really didn’t want to go along with it. There were about a thousand times where I almost told you everything.”

“It was hard on both of us.”

“I think it may have been a little harder on me.” As Sydney shot him a look of disbelief at what he had just said, he realized he needed to elaborate. “You see you didn’t know what could have been with us. I did.” He placed his hand on top of where hers was sitting on the bed without turning his head to make eye contact. “I was going to ask you to marry me.”

“What?” Sydney looked over at him in confusion.

“Do you remember that one day I said that my mother was in the hospital and I had to go to Paris? It was over two years ago, so I don‘t know why you would.”

“I remember,” she said hesitantly.

“Well, the going to see my mother part was true. Her being the hospital wasn’t. I was going to get this.” Vaughn pulled a small box out of his pocket.

Sydney took the box from him and opened it slowly. Her mouth dropped open. “Is this what I think it is?”

“It was my grandmere’s wedding ring. She told me that I was supposed to give it to the one woman I couldn’t live without.” Vaughn looked into Sydney’s eyes. “That would be you, Syd.”

She just continued to stare at him in disbelief.

“I was going to propose to you when you got back from your mission in Taipei. Ironic, isn’t it?”

“Ironic is the theme of my life,” she said softly.

“There’s something else I want you to know. When I married Lauren, I bought a ring from the jeweler down the street from my house. I didn’t give her this ring. Because I knew that it was yours, and no matter what happened, it would always be yours. I could never give it to another woman.”

Sydney went to hand the ring back to Vaughn. “That is very sweet. Thank you for telling me that.”

Vaughn looked down at her hand and then back up at her face. “Why don’t you keep it?”

She tilted her head in a look of confusion. “You want me to keep it?”

“I was hoping you would want to wear it,” he said shyly. “I love you, Syd. It seems like I always have, and I know I always will. I’m so sure of this. I can’t live without you. I think I’ve earned you.”

“I’m a reward?” Sydney said with an eyebrow raised.

“You’re the best reward I could ever think of.” He smiled. “I want you with all my heart and soul, Sydney.” He stood up off of the hospital bed and kneeled down on the ground. Taking the ring out of her hand, he held it out to here and said, “Will you marry me?”

“Of course I will,” she said before the tears started spilling down her cheeks.

Vaughn sat down next to her again and wiped the tears away gently. “I’ll always be here to wipe your tears away from now on,” he whispered. He slid the ring on to her finger.

Overcome with emotion, she pulled his face to hers and gave him the kiss she had been storing up inside of her for months. After a few minutes, they heard a subtle coughing noise from the doorway. Turning towards the sound, Sydney saw Weiss standing in the doorway.

“I was trying to give you two some time to talk things out,” Weiss started to explain. “But then Sark showed up, and he’s kind of impatient. So are you done?”

Sydney went running into his arms.

“This is unexpected,” he said.

“I think she’s just a little overwhelmed right now,” Michael said giving his best friend a wink.

“You gave her the ring, didn’t you?” he said looking at Sydney’s smiling face. “You are a smooth one, Michael Vaughn.”

Vaughn just smiled and shrugged his shoulders. Weiss laughed and called out into the hallway. “Let’s get this meeting started, guys.”

Sydney watched the rest of the group filter into the room. Both of her parents were in a deep conversation with Sark, presumably about Kaylee and what exactly had occurred in the past few hours. Marshall bumbled in after them with a massive bag of what Sydney could only guess to be tech stuff he had stolen for her. When he looked up at her, she mouthed a silent thank you and he just blushed. Last was a battered and bruised, wheelchair bound Will.

“I wouldn’t miss this for the world,” Will said to Sydney as the nurse wheeled him next to her.

Sydney walked over to her mother. “We need to talk,” she said bluntly.

“I know,” Irina replied. “Do you want me to explain?”

“I think I’ve pieced it together mostly. Dad seems to trust you. It’s not going to happen that easily with me. I want to believe that everything you’ve done was for the benefit of me and Kaylee. But I can’t just erase the ways you’ve hurt me.”

“I understand.”

“I just wanted to let you know that I’m willing to give you at least a little benefit of the doubt. I’m going to give you the chance to prove to me where your priorities really are.”

“That’s all I can ask.” Irina smiled at her daughter. “Thank you.”

Sydney looked at her mother for a moment. “You do know that this will definitely not be as easy as it was with Dad, but it’s going to be twice as hard with Kaylee. She hates you more than you can imagine.”

“I know that. She tried to lie to me and tell me that she missed me. A mother always knows when her children are lying to her. I know it’s going to be hard. But I don’t care. It’s something I have to do.”

Sydney nodded to her mother and took her place next to Vaughn again.

“Well, we have two extremely capable handlers, if I do say so myself,” Weiss began, “the best tech guy at the CIA, a family of spies, a CIA analyst, and one very pissed off ex-boyfriend. I say we’re in good shape.”

Can I just say that I totally loved how Weiss finished off the last chapter? Geez I love that guy!
Thanks for the pm, and I can't wait for more!
(y)

Back