Mornings of Mist

Mornings of Mist

<<Sunrise>>

Well, she finally did it. She finally had everything she could possibly want. A doting husband, a tassel of children, a beautiful home overlooking the ocean, a steady job. . . why the hell was she so unhappy?

Wow, that was a rhetorical question wasn't it? The answer was obvious. No. No, she reminded herself. She WAS happy. She IS happy. She doesn't have anything to complain about. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her life. Everything is in place, everything is safe, and everything is normal. People would kill to have her life. They would kill.

The sun is slowly rising over the ocean; a sight that always filled Sydney's heart with wonder. Watching the sky brighten from its dark hues of blue and purple to pinks and oranges always seemed amazing to her. Painted by a power that no one could see or control. It was a beauty that never grew old. She sighed and cupped her coffee mug. Slowly taking a sip, she closed her eyes, just to feel everything around her.

The sand was cool and soft under her, the ocean's waves rolled out towards her, softly murmuring secret sounds that she couldn't even begin to understand. She should've been happy. She should have been overjoyed at this sight, at this life.

She did, after all, have the perfect family life. Her husband was kind, smart, funny, and handsome. Her kids were all talented and loved her. Her job was fulfilling and the students liked her. Her house was absolutely beautiful, having the power to make her get up to watch the sunrise every morning. But much as she loved it, she hated it.

A slow tear rolled down her cheek and splashed into her coffee cup. There was another reason she woke herself up this early in the morning she knew. Something other than the majesty of the sunrise.

Michael Vaughn.

It was only during this time of the day that she could think about him, dwell on the past and regret past mistakes. This moment when night mixed with day in a flurry of confusion as to which it was. This time that almost seemed not to exist. If only.

If only.

A soft breeze picks up her hair and blows it behind her, blowing away her tears, making her feel as if she is flying. It is only during the early hours of the morning that she can stop thinking about her children, her husband, and her students. When the only thing she can remember is her past life. And the only thing she sees when she looks out into the ocean is the desire for death.

She would never kill herself of course. But the death of this life. . . to be born again with the one she truly wanted. . .

She wouldn't let herself think that. She steeled her mind. I am happy, I am happy, I am happy. . . the mantra rolled around and around in her head.

She felt a hand come on her shoulder and she looked up, knowing who it was.

"God Sweetie, I don't know how you do it. How do you stay up until one or two in the morning and then manage to wake up at five just to watch the sun? And you never get tired." He puts a hand on her cheek and she smiles at him, though it is one of fondness and not one of love. "It's just the sun."

She gestures outwards. "Just the sun? You call this JUST the sun? I think it's absolutely amazing. I think it is the most beautiful painting to ever be created. It's different every day. And if I never get tired, that's just an added bonus and you shouldn't trouble yourself with it." She didn't mean to snap at him. But he was intruding on her time. Her only time to be alone and think.

But he merely chuckled. "All right, I know when you are feeling stubborn. I just wanted to let you know that waking up in a cold bed isn't exactly the best start to the morning. I like waking up and having you next to me."

Sydney wasn't immune to his romantic side and she smiled and kissed his cheek. "I'm sorry honey; but look at this. This is what I get up for. I just can't tear myself away from this. It's like being reborn."

He looked at her, love shining in his eyes. "You really are amazing. But why would you want to be reborn unless you weren't happy with the life you have?"

She shrugged and looked down. "I don't know. It just feels like starting clean. The time to recollect my thoughts and get ready for the day." She let him pull her up and walk her back towards the house.

"The only thought I need to remember is you. You start my day. I love you." He smiles at her and takes her hand in his.

Sydney stays silent.

"I'll fix you your coffee; why don't you wake the kids?" Her husband nods and leaves the kitchen. She turns on the water and, when it is warm enough, sticks her hands into it and washes them; washes off the salt of the ocean, the smell of the wind, the beauty of the sunset. Washes away the thoughts of Vaughn. She splashes the water on her face. Its nearly scalding now and burns her skin after the numbing feeling the cold breeze had. But it feels good to be punished. She has to wake up. It's a new day.

And when her family comes into the kitchen, she is all smiles.

"Now there is the Sydney we love to see. You just always seem so moody in the morning," He winks at her and kisses her forehead.

"Good morning, mommy!" Her daughter squeezes her hand and looks at her with delight.

Sydney can't help but smile and laugh back at her. Her daughter is truly a work of art, as beautiful as the sunrise. She is the meaning in her life. What she lives for. "Good morning Sweetie. Wow, you woke up early today, it's not even six yet!"

Her husband looks at her, confused. "Syd. . . you told me to wake her up. Matthew wasn't ready yet so I gave him ten more minutes."

She raises her eyebrow and tucks her hair behind her hair with a confused expression on her face. "Oh, did I? I must've been thinking about something else." She redirects her attention to her daughter. "Did you want to help me cook, Arianne?"

Her daughter nods. She is too young to ever hate her mother and is delighted to be old enough to help. Sydney gives her the eggs and tells her to crack them into the bowl.

Arianne does it carefully, scared that she will make a mistake and ruin everything. Sydney smiles at the studious look on her face and turns to pour the milk. She feels her husband's arms snake around her waist and his head resting on her shoulder. "It's times like these that I wish our children would disappear for an hour or two. You're right. The sunrise is beautiful but it wanes in comparison to you. You are stunning." He plants a kiss on her neck.

She turns and smiles, smacking him playfully. "Don't ever wish our children away, they mean too much to me."

He smiles back but is hurt that she doesn't agree. She puts her hands on his shoulders. "Now don't give me that look. Of course I want that too but I'm a mother and motherly love is way too strong to just cast aside."

"Well of course I didn't really mean it," he says in hasty explanation. He picks up his daughter and swings her around the air. "I didn't mean it, did I honey? I love you sooo much; don't you ever grow up and bring boys into this house."

Sydney laughs. Her husband is good with children. Arianne is laughing too and she wraps her arms around her father's neck. "He didn't mean it mommy, he was just kidding."

"I know, I know. I guess I'm just slower than all of you to figure things out." She puts the dishtowel on the rack and starts to fry the eggs.

"Why don't you set the table, Arianne and then give everybody their milk?" Her husband sets Arianne down on the floor and she immediately attends to her task.

"I'll get Matthew," he says.

"Thank you honey." She sounds weary. Like her life is heavy and slipping away. But she will be rejuvenated soon enough. She always is. She looks around her, reminding herself of what she has. Her eyes linger on a picture hanging over the doorway. A family portrait from 4 years ago. Everyone is happy, healthy, and young. But is it just her or does the Sydney in the picture have a slightly wistful expression while looking at her husband? Like she would rather be with someone else?

No. She shakes her head. There is nowhere else I would rather be and no one else I would rather have. And for a minute, she believes herself.

tbc...

Extra A/N: For the people who are worried... this story is not going to be extremely unrealistic, no one will die mysterious deaths to make a happy future, no one will strangely ressurect, the husband is NOT Will and there will be no adultery <as in sex... it's obvious that mental things will be going on>

(review as always~) Jenn

I know~ how dare I start another one with so many unfinished? Well. . . I guess my only explanation is that the ideas come and if don't write them, who will? Besides, I'm not exactly neglecting my other ones. . . some are just paid attention to more than others. . . but hey, I think I'm pretty consistent.

REVIEW and tell me what you think~ (even if you think I should rewrite or just axe the whole thing~)

Jennyfer : You are AMAZING girl . Seriously... I am hooked in your storyes since I read The watch . I think you are one of the best fic writter on the net . You inspire me sometimes ( And helped me with the transition of fan-of-Alias/Obsessed-by-Alias-I-jus-can´t-live-without-Vaughn-specially-shirtless ) , and yes , when I read your fics I get soft . I am a tought girl but you can makes me cry eheheh .
Continue with the amazing work . :D

I am oficially you fic stalker LOL :Ph34r:

dude??how can she not be happy with vaughn..i mean if i was with vaughn i would be the happiest person it the world.that was a great start...keep up the great work (y)

-please PM me when the next chapter is up :smiley:

Mornings of Mist

2 :

<<Surprise Sighting>>

She sits at her desk, grading papers. She marks something or scribbles a few words every couple of seconds, her eyes scanning the page quickly though she is able to take everything in. She is one of the most prized of teachers because of her efficiency. And her youth didn't lower her ranking either, especially in the eyes of her male students.

"Mrs. Marshall?" She hears the voice and looks up. It's Joey, her best student. Smart, handsome, athletic, and funny, he is one of the most well rounded people she knows. But she knows that she also has a particular attachment to him for another reason. With his dirty blonde hair and green eyes, she can't help but feel as if she is speaking to the Vaughn of 12 years ago.

"Yes Joey?"

"I was wondering if you could help me understand this stanza. . . " He keeps on talking and Sydney watches his lips move, knowing and understanding his words even though her mind is already far away.

~ Flashback~

"I absolutely love this stanza, Syd. I don't know why, I'm not exactly into poetry. . . I don't know. The words just seem so perfect." He looks at her, eyes darkening slightly with emotion as he gazes into her eyes.

She smiles at him, unsure of what to say. She looks at the book in his hands and scans the words. He's right. "You're right. It is beautiful."

"It's not even that the words are anything special. I guess it's just life in general and how everything is put together... It makes me believe that there is someone for everyone."

"I never thought that you would have trouble believing that, Vaughn. You always made me feel as if there was always someone on my side. Remember what you said to me?" She looks into his eyes, willing him to remember. "It was so beautiful. I know you didn't plan it or anything and it wasn't truly remarkable by itself but it stayed with me. And when I got home, I wrote it down and I read it about five times. And every time I read it, it became more and more beautiful until I finally cried."

He looks above her, outside the doorway at the darkening sky. "I remember. You felt like no one understood. And that you were alone in all you did.

"And I said, 'You might feel alone in all this. Like you don't have an ally. -'"

Sydney joined him, closing her eyes softly, "'I'm your ally. Never question that.'"

She sighed and opened her eyes. "Thank you."

He raised an eyebrow. "For saying that to you?"

"Well, yes. And for really being there. Through everything. You really are my guardian angel." She stepped up to him and gave him a peck on the cheek. She turned to go but felt the warmth of his hand on her arm, pulling her back.

"Sydney. . ." There was a slight look of wonderment in his eyes before he kissed her. It was soft, gentle, completely unexpected for the both of them. It was perfect. Outside she heard the rain as it hit the roof of the warehouse and it seemed like music; the soundtrack to the most beautiful love story of all time.

"Sydney, don't go. I don't want to lose you." He murmured through his kiss. His fingers combed through her hair, running it through his fingers and bringing out its scent to his senses.

She shut up him up by kissing him again, putting her hands inside his suit and letting her fingers run over his perfect stomach.

Then the kiss ended and she wrapped her arms around him and lay her head on his chest, completely encircled by his arms.

~End Flashback~

She shook her head slightly, ridding herself from the trance of the memory and found that she was still talking. ". . . So by using these words in this specific order, the author manages to get across this message that would never have been seen if it had been paraphrased. Do you understand?"

He smiled at her, nearly stopping her heart. No, she wasn't having feelings for him. She wasn't the type of teacher who got her name in headlines by lusting after her students. She just liked the idea of him; cherished the essence of someone else that she found in him. "Completely. You have a way with words Mrs. Marshall. I have never been so sure of anything else I've learned. I don't even understand how I didn't get it in the first place."

She smiled at him and then went back to grading her papers. She heard him walk out of the room.

Making sure she was alone, she took out her keys and unlocked her drawer, the second from the top. She expertly shuffled through the papers, knowing exactly where it would be.

The paper was aged, soft to the touch, and ripping where the folds have been refolded over and over. Tears sprang to her eyes as she read the familiar words, written in the handwriting she had memorized over the past years.

"Sydney,

I know why you left and I know we agreed on it. I just suppose that I didn't think it would hurt this much. It's only been about twenty minutes since you left but it feels like fifty years. I know that I can't communicate with you any longer and the reasons behind that are just.

I just. . . I don't mean to put regret into your heart but I have to ask. Did we do the right thing?

Maybe we did. But it just feels so wrong not to see you every day or hold you in my arms or have you cry on my shoulder. It feels like I'm only half alive. We weren't together for a long time but I suppose that in the months that we have been, you have already managed to take a piece of my heart.

And I'm worried. If I miss you so much already, what am I going to be like a year from now? A month? A day even. I already feel like hitting the "pub"- "

Sydney smiled slightly. He always knew how to cheer her up or make her laugh.

"but I'll restrain myself. I wouldn't want to become some roaring drunk.

You're probably finding this and reading it on the plane. I know I said that you've been gone twenty minutes but that's actually how long you've been in the shower, which is when I'm actually writing this. Here you are, two rooms away and I already miss you. But the same feelings will still apply.

So I just wanted to let you know that I will miss you and love you. I hope that you find your "safe" love and whatever else you are looking for. Just don't forget me.

Yours,

Vaughn."

She refolded the letter and put it back in the middle of the pile of papers in the drawer and locked it. She looked at the pictures on her desk.

She was happy after all. Though the love she had with Patrick wasn't as intense as the one she had had with Vaughn, she didn't have to look behind her every time she went somewhere with him.

She could hold hands with him without worrying that someone might find out that he was a CIA agent. Which he wasn't. She didn't have to feel trapped or inhibited. Patrick Marshall was smiling on her desk. With dark brown hair, kind eyes, and a ready laugh, he was handsome. He possessed all the qualities she cherished and then some. She smiled. He was such a good father. And an attentive husband. And he loved her. That was the important thing.

With that, she had made herself happy; eager to go home and see her family. Ready to make dinner for all of them and talk about their days. Just like a normal family. She packed the rest of her papers and walked to the front of the classroom. Looking back to make sure everything was in order, she turned out the lights and walked outside.

~::~

"Honey, I'm home!" Her voice rang out jokingly as she laughed. Her life was so unbelievably normal. No more guns, no more running from secret enemies of the night.

Her breath caught in her throat as she took in the sight. The lights were dim, candles were lit, and two very good-looking plates of food stood steaming on the table. It smelled delicious. She giggled as she felt a pair of hands cover her eyes. "Hello Patrick."

He turned her around and smiled into her face. "How did you know?"

She gestured at the table. "I think this all gave it away."

"So I wouldn't make such a good spy? Is that what you're saying?"

She smiled. Exactly. But she just laughed at him. "Where are the kids?"

"Oh. . . I sent them to their friend's houses. I wanted some time with you." He touched her cheek and then kissed her softly.

She leaned into it, pressing herself against him until he broke away. "I think we should eat first," he said to her, winking.

She sighed and took a seat.

~::~

They lay in bed, watching TV.

"Well. . . that was a good dinner," she said.

He laughed. "Not exactly my favorite part of tonight but I'll take it."

She swatted him playfully and rested her head on his shoulder. The news was on, some journalist was going on and on about the weather in Chicago. He made her think of Will suddenly. She wondered how he was doing. The CIA thing hadn't worked out, she knew. She could have predicted that. As a researcher, he was impeccable. But as a double agent. . . he wasn't exactly what they were looking for. Will was too trusting. Too ready to talk. But she sighed softly. She did miss her friends.

And then she gasped. Was that really. . . ? "Vaughn?" She whispered.

Patrick looked at her, "What was that, sweetie?"

She covered hastily. "No. . . nothing. I thought he looked familiar but he's someone else."

He grinned at her. "Someone I should be jealous about?"

Sydney smiled at him. "No, no one." And then she focused on the TV. So Vaughn had left the business.

tbc

more?

oooh...............very great chapter..........please post more i cant wait i love ur stories you are very talented thanx for the PM appreciate it please PM meeh when the next chapter is up :P ;)

Back