Mounts? Ways of travel?

Mounts of course, are a must, but I liked the tram in wow that went from stormwind to ironforge. It was free, slow, a good view, and because it was public, I can't tell you how many bizarre and funny times I had on it.

Also, tricycles. I want to see flying tricycles.

I think all of those are great. Having the typical, or even exotic looking horses are always good to have as a mount. Things like dragons and even more exotic mounts should have a little more prestige, as in being harder to obtain and requiring more levels in whatever skill to use.

Boats sound great to, and would be great to get to certain areas that one wouldn't be able to access otherwise. Same with airships, hey... my mind is open!

Originally posted by Undrtakr@May 3 2006, 08:57 PM
I think all of those are great. Having the typical, or even exotic looking horses are always good to have as a mount. Things like dragons and even more exotic mounts should have a little more prestige, as in being harder to obtain and requiring more levels in whatever skill to use.

Boats sound great to, and would be great to get to certain areas that one wouldn't be able to access otherwise. Same with airships, hey... my mind is open!
Horses with awsome designs, armor, etc would be awsome! I also agree about dragons, but their should be a draw-back. Possibly only 2 dragons per server, and you have to denounce your house, and you are now hunted by all 3 houses. That would be kinda neat, throw in a story-line about how everyone hates dragons or something. I dunno, just an idea :smiley:

I wouldn't put a number limit on something like that.

I would make it extremely hard to control a dragon, and they could easily betray you and you would have to fight them. Winning of course, gets the mount under control, but losing, well there goes that extremely expensive, high maintenance dragon.

heheh yah. Something like, In order to keep your dragon content and under control, once a week you have to feed the dragon another player's mount.

Originally posted by HJ-Diviana@May 3 2006, 01:08 PM
That movie is awesome. I haven't seen it in a few years. Like ten or so maybe.

I don't know what kind of mounts we'll have, but I'm hoping we break away from reality for this one.
I agree. I've seen that movie too, so I know what happens when you try to ride a horse in the wrong place. I'm definitely going to want something more versatile.

Originally posted by Faemus@May 3 2006, 03:18 PM
heheh yah. Something like, In order to keep your dragon content and under control, once a week you have to feed the dragon another player's mount.
I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but I actually think that would be an awsome idea. Your dragon could even get bonuses to specific stats or abilities depending on what you feed it.

Too bad implimenting something like that would be unfair to the players who put so much work into raising them. <Sigh> :(

Agreed, it would be a pretty brutal system, especially for a developer who's putting so much effort into community building. Having your dragon chase down someone's little pony doesn't really promote that good-ole-community vibe. :D

But yah, I like that stats/abilities dependant on food idea and while it was a joking suggestion for HJ, i think it would add a whole new level of danger/excitement to a more PVP oriented MMO. Maybe there you would need to feed it a mount from a rival clan.

something i haven't ever seen in a game... two people riding on your mount. i guess, you could make the stipulation that you can't attack with two people. you could use it maily for travel.

Atreyuuuuu!

i actually said that the other day, and someone threw a pillow at me and called me a nerd. i am a nerd and all ( i mean we all are) but i thought the joke was funny.

wishes that was a flying pink dog for a mount.

/sigh

I like the 2-person mount idea, assuming that we don't get mounts very early in the game.
If I brought a friend into HJ, it would be cool if his noobie character could hop on the back of my GiantBattleWolf *hint-hint-Simu*, so I could give him a quick Elanthian tour to show him how things work.

I've always wanted multiple player mounts too..

But I think the player should have a riding skill or something, because I know that if I tried to ride a horse, I'd probably fall off quite a bit. (I don't know how :smiley: )

Originally posted by HJ-Diviana@May 5 2006, 06:56 PM
I've always wanted multiple player mounts too..

But I think the player should have a riding skill or something, because I know that if I tried to ride a horse, I'd probably fall off quite a bit. (I don't know how :smiley: )
To build off of that, possibly have your arrow keys control where you go. And above your character running their should be a 'stable' meter. You have to keep it close to the middle by moving your mouse either left, or right to keep yourself on the horse. As you gain in levels, it becomes more stable, and not as easy to tip over.

more mounts i'd like to see are...
flying brooms
flying carpets
toads (yes bear sized toads) that hop at scale so youre talking reletively big jumps of 30 feet or so each in rapid succession.

Horses. This includes normal horse races and elemental types. And a nightmare!

Mystical beasts but at an extreme cost (dragons, wyverns, pegasus, Cerberus type, griffon, manticore)

Winged flight, even if they can't fly very high.

I like that broom idea. Yes... I've a broom.

No carpets... zzz They look ridiculous in eq2.

No giant dragonflies please. They look ridiculous in Daoc.

Magical levitation would be easy with some nifty spell effects. Imagination can run wild here.

For the love of all gaming.. put in the cliche........... BOOTS lol Yes, boots of speed which can be found in so many console games. Heck, even EQ has a set or two (4 if I remember right).

Originally posted by Presto@May 23 2006, 04:07 PM
Cool, the map that was just linked in a screenshot off the main page is a TELEPORTATION map!!

This makes me very happy.
Which would explain all the crystal/glyph looking structures seen in the E3 demo. I'm only hoping that the teleportation happens from structure to structure or as a spell cast by only certain folks ala FFXI. Something is just lost when everyone can teleport at will all around the world. The teleportation itself is fine, but only if it makes sense in the context of things.

Regarding mounts... I'm all too tired of mounts being simply this: a speed buff with a visual reminder. Such as, you are now a statue planted firmly on the back of a horse or what have you. That, and horses. But thankfully that doesn't seem to be the plan :smiley:

Issues I'd want solved with a reasonable mount system:

1) Animation. A player should look like they're actually riding the mount, not paralyzed and strapped to its back.

2) Range of movement. The mount should not turn on a dime unless that is its specific specialty. Let accelleration also be a variable, allowing the mount (and even running on foot) to gain speed as you continue forwards, also being interpreted by the animations. Mounts are often quite hefty beasties, let's feel that for once, and not feel that they are instead one of these

Originally posted by Cobalt Katze@May 23 2006, 08:23 AM
Which would explain all the crystal/glyph looking structures seen in the E3 demo. I'm only hoping that the teleportation happens from structure to structure or as a spell cast by only certain folks ala FFXI. Something is just lost when everyone can teleport at will all around the world. The teleportation itself is fine, but only if it makes sense in the context of things.
I totally agree with you, teleportation should not be allowed by everyone, and it should have game context.

I didn't even notice those glyphs, but I'll bet you are right about them. If those are what gets one into an instance, then everyone will be using them.

Teleportation is a necisary evil people, and should be available to everyone. Simply put is the reasoning that the larger the game world, the more time it will take to travel without them. Ergo, not having that option severely restricts casual players from doing what they want to do in game. Also, without free access (not cost, mind you) to tleportation, friends who log on at different times and in different places will take MUCH longer to gather for group hunting together.

People have stated "As long as its in context" Heres your context:
I log onto MMORPGS to play WITH other people I meet on that game. If it takes me over a half an hour just to get to my friends, then possibly wait longer for the rest of my friends to gather because everyone has to run through every area between us, the time actually spent hunting together is severely limited due to a game mechanic, or lack thereof.

Players inherently choose to play games that offer them more actual play time, be that crafting, exploring, soloing, grouping, what have you. Games that limit the time spent in these activities usually fall by the wayside.

Now consider this. If you dont like teleporters, DONT USE THEM! However, just because you dont like them or dont think they are "in context" shouldnt bar the casual gamers, or the ones trying to gather fro groups from diverse locations from having access to them.

'nuff said

Xhar

Originally posted by Xhar@May 23 2006, 05:30 PM
Now consider this. If you dont like teleporters, DONT USE THEM! However, just because you dont like them or dont think they are "in context" shouldnt bar the casual gamers, or the ones trying to gather fro groups from diverse locations from having access to them.

'nuff said
Well, I just have to point out that two of the most casual-friendly MMO titles out there at the moment (WoW and CoH) both have no instant teleportation to chosen locations available to every player. There are very speedy methods of transportation, but they're done within the confines of the game world. I'd much rather this than have a magical map of teleportation that warps me around instantly.

I agree, meeting up with your friends should be a very accessable part of the game. But, to me, there has to be something said for suspension of disbelief in a game like this that is so focused on letting you immerse yourself in your character and the world.

Back