Mounts? Ways of travel?

I'd like the mount to require the same amount of skill and difficulty it takes to ride the mount in Shadow of the Colossus. For those of you that have played that game, you know what I'm talking about. Also the ability to use skills in different ways while riding a mount.

I would call the CoH train system a teleportation system and it's available to pretty much everyone.

I will grant that WoW doesn't have an "instant" teleportation system but they do have the old heartstone to the inn, hop a griff and head out system and if I remember correctly the absolute longest griff ride was 15 minutes. Once you get to a griff point it's usually a really short run to where you're planning on fighting.

I think others are thinking about this in terms of EQ where it could take you an hour to get from Qeynos to Freeport and then 15 minutes of waiting for a boat followed by another 15 minute boat ride to Butcherblock then another wait and a 10 to 15 minute boat ride to Kunark. There's half your night gone right there.

So if not instant teleportation to absolutely anywhere they've at least significantly reduced the travel time and that's a big part of why they're considered casual friendly.

Now I will have to agree that being able to press a key and bring up a teleport menu that allows you to teleport yourself directly to pretty much any location in the world is kind of broken. It not only doesn't make sense from a logical, lore, perspective it doesn't really add anything to the game play experience.

The system, as it's currently implemented, makes sense from a lore perspective as well as a game play perspective. It will allow you to cut out long repetitive runs across the world but it won't let you just pop yourself to anywhere. And yes those glowing stones you see in some of the movies/screenshots have something to do with it :smiley:

Originally posted by HJ-Sisca@May 23 2006, 07:40 PM
I think others are thinking about this in terms of EQ where it could take you an hour to get from Qeynos to Freeport and then 15 minutes of waiting for a boat followed by another 15 minute boat ride to Butcherblock then another wait and a 10 to 15 minute boat ride to Kunark. There's half your night gone right there.

---------
Now I will have to agree that being able to press a key and bring up a teleport menu that allows you to teleport yourself directly to pretty much any location in the world is kind of broken. It not only doesn't make sense from a logical, lore, perspective it doesn't really add anything to the game play experience.
Yes, that is what I was thinking of.

I have never played a game where one can teleport by simply bringing up a teleport menu regardless of where they were, exepting the teleport spell used by wizards in EQ. My references to a teleporting system were more in line with EQ1 or Lineage 2, where you had to get to a spicific place or person that offered it as a service. It has allready been said that the wizard class in HJ will "have mastery over time and space" and aluded to a teleportation skill/spell for that class. Keeping this in mind, how would it be "out of context" or ruin your suspetion of disbelief or emersion when an NPC or Constuct is available to offer the same service that you have seen a player do?

This is a fantasy game, with magic in it. Ergo, a magical transportation service given by an NPC is not a stretch by any means.

Xhar

What you're describing is, to me, perfectly "in context". As would just finding a teleportation ring and using it, no NPC, no player just a magical device that works.

What wouldn't be in context about either of those systems though is if they could teleport you to, literally, anywhere in the world. There need to be some limits, they can get you to the village near the dungeon but not to just outside of the door to the dragons lair at the bottom of the dungeon. That not only break immersion but more importantly it breaks game play. However, I don't feel that that is the system that is being proposed and supported here, from what I'm seeing everyone wants the teleport to nearby type of system.

Originally posted by HJ-Sisca@May 23 2006, 12:38 PM
...from what I'm seeing everyone wants the teleport to nearby type of system.
I would be happy with teleportation just to major cities. Getting near a dungeon is a luxury.

Will teleportation to these places be the norm, or something like the WoW griffin?

I'm not quite sure of the landscape and map of Elanthia, but, If there is 2 Continents, have either 2 portals, one on each continent, and have them in a sort of remote area. Or 4 portals, 2 on each Northern and Southern points.

I totally agree that portals should fit into the lore and gameplay and not take away from either.

Originally posted by HJ-Sisca@May 23 2006, 08:38 PM
However, I don't feel that that is the system that is being proposed and supported here, from what I'm seeing everyone wants the teleport to nearby type of system.
Well, not *everyone*. I'm one of those ornery types that actually prefers it the way it was in old EQ. Sure, I can (and do) make a choice to not use the fast-way, but the simple existence of a system like this changes how the world in general feels. You can't live in a bubble and pretend that your friend didn't just come across a continent to give you some muffins they just took out of the oven.

That said, I know I'm in the minority. :P

Originally posted by HJ-Sisca@May 23 2006, 07:40 PM
I would call the CoH train system a teleportation system and it's available to pretty much everyone.

The system, as it's currently implemented, makes sense from a lore perspective as well as a game play perspective. It will allow you to cut out long repetitive runs across the world but it won't let you just pop yourself to anywhere. And yes those glowing stones you see in some of the movies/screenshots have something to do with it :smiley:
Ahh, right, I totally forgot about the trains! Wake up in there *pokes brain*

Regardless, now that my memory's been jogged of their existance, I do think the trains worked well for what they did. They were physical locations chained together in the world, which from what I'm understanding, is a lot like what seems to be coming together with this teleportation dealy. Additionally, the trains had different lines, which made for at least some amount of physical transportation due to the fact that you couldn't get to the more dangerous zones from just any train station.

Big relief that the instant teleportation thing isn't what I thought it was initially, so thanks for clearing that up :smiley: Looking forward to more details about it being revealed.

Originally posted by HJ-Sisca@May 23 2006, 08:38 PM

What wouldn't be in context about either of those systems though is if they could teleport you to, literally, anywhere in the world. There need to be some limits, they can get you to the village near the dungeon but not to just outside of the door to the dragons lair at the bottom of the dungeon. That not only break immersion but more importantly it breaks game play. However, I don't feel that that is the system that is being proposed and supported here, from what I'm seeing everyone wants the teleport to nearby type of system.
Agreed, not only would that be out of context, but downright lazy <_<

To be a bit more precise, I should have said a service that ports from one service point to another, not just to any destination you desired, like the exampled above lair.

Xhar

I'm not for the "jog across the continent system" some folks prefer, I like being able to teleport, take a train, use Marvin's Disintegration/Reintegration Ray, take a shuttle etc, to neighboring cities off in the distance. Requesting a teleport to the beginning/middle/lower door of some dungeon or other location than a city? is just L-A-Z-Y.

WHat I've heard thus far, sounds good to me B)

~ Jaraeth

Time is limited. Running across country I've done ten times is a waste of my money.

HJ already stated they have a system where, once you've been to a town, you can portal to it from other places. I'm fine with that. Leaves in the exploration and first time fun of...

"Think we can make?"

"Not a chance in Sundering!"

"Charge!!!"

I've done a lot of CRs that way, still love it.

I'd like to be required to know where a place is first, having either been there once or given alot of info on it's general location, then everytime after that being able to quick travel there. That's how I usally play games anyways hehe.

As for mounts...gotta have the those giant clock works you see in the screens (like the one quadroped clockwork screen) otherwise give me something different then horses. Lizards (ala starwars perhaps?) turtle-birds, rocket skates....anything but horses. :lol:

I'd like to have a wide varity of mounts. In SWG I was a MCH (Master Creature Handler) and I had a bunch of different mounts. The fact that some of them were kick ass in a battle was a plus, but it was really cool to be able to choose a mount that fits your personality.

Originally posted by frostydf2+May 5 2006, 07:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (frostydf2 @ May 5 2006, 07:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HJ-Diviana@May 5 2006, 06:56 PM
I've always wanted multiple player mounts too..

But I think the player should have a riding skill or something, because I know that if I tried to ride a horse, I'd probably fall off quite a bit. (I don't know how :smiley: )
To build off of that, possibly have your arrow keys control where you go. And above your character running their should be a 'stable' meter. You have to keep it close to the middle by moving your mouse either left, or right to keep yourself on the horse. As you gain in levels, it becomes more stable, and not as easy to tip over. [/b][/quote]
Yes mounts r cool. I think they are necessary for ur character's personality too. That said i wanna see some unique and strange mounts which i'm sure there will be. I just can't see a cat riding a horse for example but that's just me.

I'm all for mount warfare too. but i think u should have to level up ur riding skill, the system frosty mentioned above sounds cool.

I think it would be cool if u could build a relationship with ur mount and as ur relationship grows you can maybe get a little stronger. To counter that I think mounts should be able to be slain and in that losing that relationship and having to start over in that aspect (but ur riding skill would still be high). I mean if u choose to put the time into ur mount u should be the best. And if u fall and ur the best rider it should be a big hit. I think it would be cool if ur horse had to always be with u. Instead of "summoning" one or something like in WoW. That's just my idea.

Oh and it would be cool to steal mounts too. Then if u stole a mount ur realtionship wouldn't be that great. But think of it ur walking along holding ur horses reins, and u hear a battle up ahead and instead of mounting u decide to go in for hand to hand combat leaving ur mount in a clearing to graze...but while ur away fighting ur mount is jacked! by a horse thief. I think that would be cool. And if they could put the relationship thing in there then the higher relationship the harder it would be for the horsethief to steal ur horse. Then the horse thief could go sell it or something...I think it would be a cool idea to add to the game and i've been thinking about it for awhile but not even sure if it would be possible. But if it could end up like that in a game i would certainly be ecstatic :D .

Originally posted by Demascus@May 25 2006, 01:40 AM

Oh and it would be cool to steal mounts too. Then if u stole a mount ur realtionship wouldn't be that great. But think of it ur walking along holding ur horses reins, and u hear a battle up ahead and instead of mounting u decide to go in for hand to hand combat leaving ur mount in a clearing to graze...but while ur away fighting ur mount is jacked! by a horse thief. I think that would be cool. And if they could put the relationship thing in there then the higher relationship the harder it would be for the horsethief to steal ur horse. Then the horse thief could go sell it or something...I think it would be a cool idea to add to the game and i've been thinking about it for awhile but not even sure if it would be possible. But if it could end up like that in a game i would certainly be ecstatic :D .
The last thing we need is another way to grief people.

Originally posted by Daax@May 27 2006, 03:14 AM
I'd like to see some mechanical gear mounts.
Reminds me of the Gnome's mechanical ostrich doohickeys in WoW. I forget what they're called though.

~ Jaraeth

Back