Reality Bites. AU.

Author: aussiechick
Title: Reality Bites
Rating: M, low level language, adult themes.
Disclaimer: I own nothing. If I was the brain power behind ALIAS or Reality Bites, I would be rich. Not poor like I am now.
Summary: inspired by one of my favourite moves Reality Bites. Sydney Bristow chronicles her life, via a video camera. Experience the ups and downs, the highs and lows, the tears and laughter...experience her life.
Ok, I really suck at those so please give this a go despite the sucky summary.

This is my first time posting here...so please let me know what you think...

PROLOGUE

“You walk out of this place today and you still might not know who you are or who you wanna be. You still might not know where you wanna go or what you wanna do.

But none of that matters.

All that matter is...

All that matters is...

I don’t know...”

That’s me today. Yep, today is the beginning of my life...

Or maybe it’s just the end.

Graduation Day. 29th April, 2004. University of Los Angeles. Valedictorian: Sydney Bristow.

I have the whole world at my fingertips. I am twenty-two. I have a Bachelor of Communications, joint major, writing and media production, at my disposal...I’m going to make a documentary one day...and I have a whole new life waiting for me out there...

Right? Who really knows anyway. Like I said in that bullsh*t speech before. All that matters is...

I don’t know. I. Do. Not. Know.

I don’t have a clue. I just spent four years of my life, and thousands of dollars on a degree that I might not even use...See, none of us have a clue really?

But at least I have my trust worthy friends. In this crazy world, that is the only thing I am sure about. It is the only thing that I really do know...and what do you know, I didn’t need to spend thousands of dollars and four years of my life finding it out. It’s a given.

They will always be there when I need them. I mean we’re best friends. Ever since I arrived in LA we...just connected. it may have taken me a little while to open up to them. It may have taken me a little while to trust them...But i had been through some stuff.

Which probably explains why I might not be the most positive person on this earth. Anyway that was seven years and a life time ago...Like I said, this is the beginning of a whole new life, so it’s time to let go of the baggage...

But sometimes...there’s just some ‘baggage’ that you can’t let go of.

That’s why I’m glad I have my friends. Without them, I don’t know where I would have ended up. Where we would have ended up. Without them...

But I don’t need to think about that anyway...Because I did have them, and I will always have them...

Because we’re best friends, and best friends stick together...

Right?

PART ONE

Rewind<<<<<<<<<<<<<Seven years ago<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Rewind

So here I am. Fifteen years old. An only child...

Wait a minute...scrap that...fifteen years old...with a new born baby sister.

Mum and dad just brought her home from the hospital three weeks ago. I go to pick her name. I chose Emily, after this funny looking doll I had when I was little. Honestly though, she bares no resemblance to that doll...she is kinda cute with that little tuft of brown hair on top of her head and her baby blue eyes...But trust me when i say, I won’t be telling her that when she is all grown up. Her head is already big enough anyway, and she is only one month old. And I am talking abnormally, disproportionately...big. I wonder if all babies heads are like that...

For her sakes I hope she grows out of it...or should I say into it...

Anyway back to the topic at hand...the reason behind my new found teenage angst.

Let me rewind a little bit here...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<fifteen years old...with a new born baby sister

New born. So here I have been living happily in my own existence for the past fifteen years...and then **boom**. “Honey, your father and I are having a baby. Did you hear us honey...you’re going to be a big sister...”

Big sister...Big sister my ass. When she’s my age now...I will be...

THIRTY... I could be her mother. Her young, virgin, teenage mother...but her mother all the same.

How I am supposed to adjust to something as major as this? How am I supposed to go on? What am I supposed to tell my friends?

“So Sammy, My parents still go at it like bunnies, so much so, that FIFTEEN years after having their first, they are having a second child...”

They will just think it’s cute, and comment on how lucky I am to be getting a baby sister. And I will have to convince them, on how wrong this all is. My mum’s forty. My dad’s forty-two.

They’re like old...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So they went and had the baby anyway. Despite their youngest daughters...strike that...only daughters...misgivings.

They brought her home a couple of weeks ago. And they thought just by letting me name her...just by letting me hold her...just by letting me play with her tiny little fingers and tiny little toes....that I would just... get over it...

I don’t think so.

So here we all are. One big happy family. Me, mum, and dad...

Oh and Em of course...did i just call her Em...I meant Emily. I don’t use shortened, names, because that means I’m using a term of endearment, and there is no endearing here...

She’s just a baby...She’s just my little sister...

Yeah...my adorably cute, pink, little new born sister.

But that annoyingly loud cry...but that cute little gurgle...

Ok, so what...i might be coming round to this whole idea of the big, protective sister routine... But ssssh don’t tell anyone...

This is Bristow signing off...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Two weeks later

off camera: Someone fumbles with the camera as they place it on a tri-pod, zooming in. A body can be seen walking to a position in front of the camera. A close up of Sydney’s face.

So something happened.

Just two weeks ago, I was sitting here, telling you how having a baby sister would only interfere with my life...

Now she might be the only thing that keeps me going...

One week ago...someone broke into our home. They killed my mother, left my father paralysed...and god, sorry...I just don’t know what to say....

Sydney attempts to compose herself, swiping at the tears streaming down her pale face.

It was late. I can’t remember what time. I got woken up by Emily crying. I went to her room, wondering why mum hadn't gotten up to feed her...

Mum always got up right away...

I picked her up and tried to comfort her, but she just wouldn’t stop crying. I went to my parents room, right next door to Emily’s.

My mum was lying in the bed. I didn’t see my dad first.

I thought she was asleep. Her eyes were closed, and she was lying on her side. I, I thought...

Why couldn’t she have just been asleep? Emily was still screaming.

Mum was asleep...I didn’t know where dad was.

I leaned over with Em in my arms, and blew in my mothers ear. It was a joke between us. I used to always blow in her ear, because when I was little she took me to the beach and told me how she could just fall asleep on the sand and wake up to the sound of the ocean and be perfect happy...as long as her babies were with her...

Her babies were with her. I don’t understand why she didn’t wake up.

Sorry I just need a minute...

Pause.

I, I rolled her over. Something looked wrong. She, she...

There was blood. It was on her stomach. And I didn’t know what to do.

Em wouldn’t stop crying...Dad...

Where were you dad?

I leaned over to grab the cordless...An ambulance would help. She would be alright. They would save her...

I was so sure.

But it wasn’t there. Maybe if I had gotten to it earlier...maybe...

I an to the other side of the bed...that was when i saw my father. He was lying face down on the ground. I covered Emily's eyes to protect her from the blood that I could see covering my fathers back.

I found the cordless...in my fathers hand. A nine, and a one were on the screen.

All I had to do was press one more number...one.

My mum was forty years old...she was so young...too young.

My dad is forty-two. He might be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.

My baby sister, is just over a month old.

I am only fifteen.

God...Why did you let this happen?

Nothing will ever be the same...

Sydney's tear stained face can be seen staring into the camera. A couple of minutes later her legs can be seen walking towards the camera, and...

Blackness

TBC?????????????

Please let me know what you think...if you want me to continue...your thoughts and opinions mean a lot.

SCORE!!! please pm me!! I love it the 1st chapter is awesome post more asap!! I mean it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE MORE MORE!!!!!
LAlalala
B.J.
COOOL I"M THE VERY VERY 1ST ..... well after u but ...well yeah.... sooooo..
here is ur to do list for the very near future.....
aussiechick's to do list:
1.post more
2. pm me (vaughn'sgal)
jk..well sorta!!!!!

Back