Season 5 Review - Out of the Box

snowhite

Columnist
“Michael always told me I could come to you. I didn’t trust him. I was wrong. Thank you.” Trust was the underlying theme in Out of the Box. We all know that Sydney can be trusted. That she is loyal and will always do the right thing. However, can Renee be trusted? Renee admitted to Sydney that she trusts Sydney but can Sydney trust her? Since Michael Vaughn trusted Renee, Sydney believes in her too, even though she is a known assassin. Sloane not only escaped life in prison, but he has also managed to reinstate himself with APO. He says that his sole purpose to return to APO is to help Nadia. Can we believe him? Can he be trusted? What about the man out of the box. Who is Dr. Desantis? Since he allowed himself to be rescued by Gordon Dean’s team, we have to assume he cannot be trusted.

Sydney is truly a genuinely good person. She is not naïve. She can quickly identify the good and bad in people. She realizes that Rachel is alone in the world, because Sydney was alone in that very same world. Sydney is alone now but in a different place and time. She is doing it on her own in expecting a baby. But approximately seven years ago, she too discovered that she was working for a terrorist organization and not the CIA. She was helping bad people do bad things and she was not aware that her expertise as an agent was contributing to this. So, we accept the fact that Sydney would invite Rachel to stay with her in her home. “Here give me your hand.” In way Sydney needs Rachel’s company as much as Rachel needs Sydney’s company. Give me your hand is a gesture that we are in this together. That I will watch your back and you can lean on me for comfort at any time. But whose comfort? Yes, I think Rachel will be leaning on Sydney more than Sydney leaning on Rachel, but I think in a way Sydney is glad that Rachel is with her. It gives Sydney an outlet to take her mind off of being without Vaughn and carrying his child without him. So it is no surprise that Sydney says to Rachel, “Doing it on my own, it is a little overwhelming… You know you can stay here as long as you want Rachel, there is no hurry”. Sydney truly knows what Rachel is going through. She wants to help her and in a way Sydney helping Rachel, is also a way for Sydney to help herself during a difficult time. Do not misunderstand what I am saying. Even if Sydney were not in her current situation, she would have helped Rachel. Sydney is not doing this for herself, she is helping Rachel because she wants to.

We find out that Sydney has been communicating with Renee almost twice per week via telephone. But when Sydney learns that Renee may have stolen the body in the box, she wants to speak with her face to face. She wants to do this so that Renee can gain her trust and it works as per the outcome of the story. Sydney stops Jack from sending in a team because, Sydney trusts that Renee is trying to find out about Prophet 5. She trusts Renee because she trusted Vaughn and Vaughn trusted Renee.

Renee is suspicious of Sydney. Not until the end of the story does she fully trust Sydney. While under siege, as a viewer you get the feeling that Renee believes that Sydney brought the tactical team to her place. Either by sloppy spying or trusting others who are not trust worthy. While Sydney is held at gun-point by Renee’s father, Renee does not believe Sydney and believes her father instead, who we learn afterwards is not her father but Dr. Desantis. Sydney gains Renee’s trust when she insists that Renee ask her father where he hid her twenty three years ago. Renee asks the question. She has some trust in Sydney at that point to ask the question. She does and her father cannot answer it because he really is not her father.

So Sloane is up to his old tricks. Do you really think he will work for the bad guys or is he using them to find a cure for his daughter. Would Sloane have made that deal if Nadia’s health were not at stake? Did Sloane show those pictures to the Senator to twist her arm in an evil way or was he showing her those pictures to let her know that if she does not reinstate him into APO her daughter’s life would be in danger? What I am getting at is that may be he was truly concerned for the Senator’s daughter because he knew that Gordon Dean would take ever measure possible to have Sloane reinstated, so Sloane was showing her the pictures because actually he wanted the Senator’s daughter to be safe. That if he was reinstated Gordon Dean would leave the Senator and her family alone. Time will only tell if Sloane’s intentions were good or bad.

Jack does not trust Sloane and that is one reason he requested Sloane’s reinstatement into APO. The other reason is to help Nadia who is Sydney’s sister. It is going to be interesting to see who out smarts who. Will Gordon Dean outsmart Sloane? Will Sloane outsmart Gordon Dean? Will Sloane outsmart Jack or will Jack outsmart Gordon Dean? And lets not forget about Dixon. We know he does not trust Sloane and Sloane knows this too.

I believe that this episode was a set up episode for the story arc to continue. The individual had to come out of the box, so to speak. We had to find out his identity to see where the story goes from here. Two people are out of the box. Sloane is out of jail and Dr. Desantis is out of the box.

The things I liked about the episode. Seeing Sydney at home. That is nice. We like to see how our spy lady lives. We like to see how she is dealing with all of the trauma in her life. Garner is great at this. The special affects were great. Watching Renee jump out of the building on fire was awesome. Having three storylines going at the same time (i.e. Sydney/Tom/Renee, Marshall/Rachel/Dixon and Jack and Sloane. And of course Marshall’ reply to Jack’ question as to who was in the box – “Someone who is not Garso (sorry for the spelling)”. The additions of Tom, Rachel, Renee and Dean.

What I did not like, was Tom thinking that if he could take out some of the tactical team the rest would go away. Very poor line. And please do not bring back project helix.

Ok here are the questions: So who is Dr. Desantis and why did he take on the identity of Renee’s father, if in fact that is what happened? What is Prophet 5 and why was it 2006 and not 2005? What was the meaning of the experiment to keep someone in a box alive in a cryogenic state for 23 years? What was the point of this? Why did Jack send Thomas Grace and not Dixon with Sydney to find Renee? Why would Jack tell Thomas Grace about Sydney’s involvement with Renee Rienne, a known assassin? Why would he trust Thomas so early in the game with this information? What happened to Renee’s father if it was not her father in the box but rather Dr. Desantis? Is Sloane really evil? Who else in the CIA works for Gordon Dean? What did Gordon Dean mean that he was one of Sloane’s mysterious benefactors? Who else is involved with Gordon Dean? If Renee is a known assassin, why didn’t she kill the guards when she stole the medication for her father in the beginning of the episode? And finally why is Alias on at Thursday at 8:00 p.m.? I wish ABC would move the show to a different timeslot. Alias is so good this year and it is too bad that people are missing out.

Thanks to the cast and crew at Alias for another great show.

Back