Sanity Saved

oh no! poor syd!
i feel so sorry for, i mean things were bad enough for her at the moment and now her mother has just made things that bit much worse!
thanks for the PM
cant wait for more :D

go syd! she stuck up to her mom!! well if her mom freaked out about sydney dating vaughn well i cant wait to see her reaction to nadia's news...

thanks for the pm!

Go syd!!
so glad she stood up to her stupid mom
shes so mean
"you will not date the product of that" thats horrible
wait till she finds out her own daughters pregnant
awesome update
thanx for the pm
cant wait for more

Great update. I like how Sydney is starting to rebel aganist her mother and things are starting to change for better or for worse. Irina is just plain old mean, bitter, and cold. What is she going to do when she finds out about Nad???? Ugh oh! Thanks for the PM!

-erin :smiley:

Okay, I know this is like the shortest chapter in the world, but I'm like freakishly tired right now, and am having trouble concentrating, lol. Hope you like it!

Chapter 24

I was crying so hard as I drove in a blind rage to Vaughn’s. My tears began to obscure my vision, but I kept going. I whipped the tears away with my sleeve, thinking how ironic it was that the one day I actually wear eyeliner I cry my eyes out. I dripped down my face, streaking my face with black lines all down it. I probably looked like some deranged, crazy lady driving around, but as of now, I didn’t care. All I could think about was all the hatred I had felt for my mother all these years. How could a mother even possibly think to take something so important away from her daughter? Because she was cold and unfeeling, that’s why. She had no heart, she had no feelings. I could look into her eyes for hours, and see no life stare back at me.

I speed into Vaughn’s driveway, and quickly killed the engine. I jumped out of the car, and ran up to the front porch. I began to pound on the door, hoping someone would answer. I heard footsteps on the inside. I listened to Vaughn’s mumbling on the inside, but in all my rage I continued banging on the door, while crying hysterically. I knew he couldn’t hear me.

“What the hell?! It’s like 12 at night!” he said, opening the door. His angered face immediately softened when he saw who was standing on his front porch. I automatically ran full speed into his arms. He didn’t question me, or my current state; just backed up into the house with me huddled in his grasp. I gasped for air, tears running down my face. I could barely catch my breath. He rubbed my back comfortingly. The only time I didn’t feel so alone in the world was when I was with Vaughn, and I didn’t want to loose that. I couldn’t loose that. It’s what kept me sane.

“I don’t want…I don’t want to let go…not again. She can’t, she can’t…,” I stuttered, struggling to get my words out.

“Syd, what’s wrong? You’ve got to tell me what’s wrong,” he told me, sitting me down on the couch, his arm still around my body, and his finger stroking my hand.

I pulled him in closer. “She never listens to me! Why does she hate me? Why? I, I, don’t want you to go!”

Vaughn looked terrified and confused all in one. “Syd, I’m not going anywhere. What happened? Is it your mom?”

“I don’t have anyone else, Vaughn. I don’t have anyone else in my life! She can’t take away that one person, Vaughn! I won’t let her. I won’t!”

My constant rambling seemed to be terrifying him, but I couldn’t help it. I had nobody else. The mere thought of losing that one, small, desperate hope of having a normal relationship with another human being was unbearable. I needed him in my life. He was my connection to sanity. I wouldn’t let my mother suck me into her vortex of darkness, I wouldn’t become her. I refused to end up that way.
Vaughn continued to stroke my hair, attempting to cheer me up, although he had no clue what the problem actually was.

My sobs gradually softened with the occasional muffled sob escaping my lips as time passed. My eyes hurt, and felt tired and scratchy. I rubbed them, but could feel them closing slowly. I felt myself go limp in Vaughn’s arms, but didn’t attempt to move. There was nowhere else I would rather be.

~*~*~*~

I slept peacefully that night knowing that for now I was happily with Vaughn. I awoke to him looking down on me. It was difficult opening my eyes, considering they were completely swollen. I didn’t smile up at him like I usually would. He noticed this.

“Syd, you have to tell me what happened. You’re parents need to know where you are.”

I looked away from, tears threatening to fall once again. I held them back, though. I didn’t want to replay the night in my head, but Vaughn deserved to know what was wrong. I bit my lip hard, ready to share my heart ache with Vaughn. I turned to face him.

“My mom and I got in an argument last night.”

He nodded, urging me to continue.

“She found out about us, and doesn’t approve. She doesn’t want me to see you again, so I yelled at her, and left,” I said, giving him the simple version of the drama that played out the night before.

He didn’t really respond, just nodded, acknowledging that he heard me. I waited for his response.

“What are you going to do?’ he whispered.

I couldn’t believe he was asking. “Vaughn, it doesn’t matter what my mom says! It’s my decision, and I won’t let her stupid personal reasons reflect or influence my decisions.”

He still didn’t look one hundred percent reassured. “Vaughn, seriously, you have nothing to worry about! She can’t do anything.”

“I don’t want your parents hating me, Syd, and I don’t want to be the cause for arguments with your mom and dad. Are you sure you want to do this?”

I gave him a look of complete amazement and hurt. I stood up quickly. Almost hitting him accidentally considering I was leaning against his back.

“You really think I would give up on us that easily, do you? Is that what you want, Vaughn? Did I just blow up at my mom for no reason at all! Do you seriously have no faith in this relationship? Is this it?” I was rambling on so much that I barely noticed Vaughn now standing with me.

He grabbed me by the arms, forcing me to look him in the eye. “Sydney, stop!” The hurt reflecting in his own eyes were enough to stop me. “I’m not leaving,” he said, firmly. Relief swarmed me as I realized I was overreacting, and was in a half hysterical state after everything that had happened with my mom.

“I’m sorry for being slightly insane,” I said with a laugh, while running a hand through my hair.

“You never have to apologize for that. I already know you’re insane,” he told me, joking.

I playfully smacked him in the arm. “So, nothing changes then?” I said, more serious.

“Nothing changes,” he said, pulling me into a tight embrace.

~*~*~*~

I called my house around noon, thankful it was Nadia who answered, and thankful today was a P.A day that I was unaware of until this morning.

“Syd, where the hell are you?” Nadia asked, her voice filled with a unfamiliar concern.

“I’m at Vaughn’s,” I told her. “Tell mom I’m alive; not that she would care anyway.”

“Sydney…”

I interrupted. “I’m not really in the mood to discuss it right now, Nadia,” I said more sharply then originally intended.

“Oh, ok, I’ll just go.” She sounded hurt by my tone. I immediately felt guilty.

“I’m sorry. It’s been a hard and stressful night, and I’m just not in the mood right now,” I explained, as I watched Vaughn give me a sympathetic smile from the corner of the room.

“It’s fine, Syd. I’ll see you when you get home.”

I hung up the phone, and collapsed on the couch. All I wanted to do was sleep, and close out all of the family issues I was dealing with. Vaughn fell back with me. I rested my head against his shoulder.

“Why does life have to be so complicated?” I asked, half serious, half joking.
“Well, where would be the fun in having the perfect life?”

“Well, in my personal experience having a complicated one isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.”

He laughed.

“So, what are you doing tonight?”

“Well, with my busy schedule I might be able to fit you in.”

“Funny.”

“So I’ve been told.”

“So, do you want to come to one of my games tonight?”

I hesitated a moment, knowing my entire school would be there cheering on our team. They wouldn’t be too happy when they saw me with Vaughn, knowing I was most likely going for his team. I ignored those thoughts.

“Of course I’ll be there. Front row and center.”

“Good,” he said, kissing my forehead.

What we didn’t know was this night would shape out to be one of the most difficult we would face together.

I'm glad Sydney and Vaughn renewed their vow, that no matter what, they are there for each other. I did feel bad for Nadia, having Sydney be so short with her, especially since Nadia could've given an update to the situation at home. Hopefully Sydney's apology is enough.

It appears there's going to be a lot of tension in the next chapter. I hope it's not just Sydney who faces off against her snobby school. I thing it would be great if Nadia was there too, sitting front row and center, cheering on Vaughn's team- two sisters united.

Will we get Mia's side of the story about her friendship with Elena?

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

Back