Seeking feedback on my baby, "THE 1K"

SpaceScooter

Cadet
Hey, guys. Newbie to the site, here. To be honest, I joined because I'm looking for other sci-fi fans who might enjoy an original space adventure I'm writing called "The 1K" ((working title for now. May change it later.))

It is in the first round of edits, and will undergo a few more rounds - per the usual racket when involved with writing anything. I am acutely aware there likely exist some plot potholes, grammar issues, options for better word choices or sentence structuring, and pacing issues.

I have plans for many more episodic stories in this universe. It's meant to be open, with the possibility of endless stories from different points of view. In fact, if it does well after being published on Amazon, I'm thinking about trying to pitch it as as a show. Per the usual way I write, the big bad is a distant, yet constant threat that leaves you wondering when the hell they're show up while at the same time, the characters are dealing with multiple issues that arrive per chapter. But when the big bad does show up, .... hold onto your butts. It wrecks the universe.

If this catches on, I want the reader to feel like they can continue with their own adventures within this world. I'm writing something that contains all the elements of a story I would enjoy watching/reading.

(Remember if you do read the story so far and comment, please be kind. This is my baby, and I am actively working to improve it. Thanks. :) )

Will, Terra, Yune, and Selke, and even the Horizon are my precious kids.

If anyone would be interested in taking a read, here's the basic plot summary and 'elevator pitch' for "The 1K."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STORY SUMMARY:
1,000 children between the ages of 6-18 are abducted from Earth mere hours before the turn of the 21st century, and scattered across the known galaxy in order to preserve their lives, their planet, and a precious hope the galaxy so severely needs. William Kade and Terra Kitridge are two of these children. This is their story, and the story of how they are used to further a last-ditch plan of desperation to end a 2,000 year war between the two major galactic powers.
(Link on AO3) -- again, it's in first edit rounds, and I'm constantly changing and fixing things.

This work is under copyright protection. Thanks. :)

Tom

An Old Friend
1,000 children between the ages of 6-18 are abducted from Earth mere hours before the turn of the 21st century, and scattered across the known galaxy in order to preserve their lives, their planet, and a precious hope the galaxy so severely needs. William Kade and Terra Kitridge are two of these children. This is their story, and the story of how they are used to further a last-ditch plan of desperation to end a 2,000 year war between the two major galactic powers.
The first thing I might consider is th pemise.
I imagine a coming of age story.
Been done so many times its busted.

The best thing is scattered across the GALAXY in the 21st century.
We are currently in the 21st century.
Granted we are in the beginning of the 21st century, we are currently at a specific advancement level.
While certain graces can be given as to technology level, things in reality move much slower than science fiction.
Don't get me wrong, anything is possible,

Then you have the premise of a 2,000 year war (which had to start in the 1800's) that they are suddenly;y in a position to end. 21st century means 2000's
But' lets say the history is not aligned with our history.
Still, you have a couple of adolescence facing down insurmountable odds.
Been there/ done that.

I'm not trying to dissuade you.
I'm just giving you feedback on what information you have given.
If the publishers like it and it makes you some money, who am I to critique?
I just know that I have read 100 similar stories recently.
I know what sells movie tickets and I know that a good science fiction story goes where nobody has gone before.

If your goal is to attract the public, chances are you will do well.
If your goal is to create new science fiction, not so good.
Science fiction is fiction based on science.
What you have presented is at most fantasy.
There is nothing wrong with fantasy, there are some great works based on fantasy.
Your story strikes me as fantasy.

This is not a ploy to dissuade you.
I just want you to know that from the information you have given, your story seems to be a fantasy tale more than a science fiction tale.

SpaceScooter

Cadet
Thank you. I am not attempting to create new sci fi, rather an enjoyable story that I am well aware has a heavy fantasy element on purpose. My mechanical and "tech jargon" knowledge is limited, so whenever I want to add something technical, I research it, and then talk my way around it. I love science fiction. It's been in my blood since the womb. Though I am not technical minded, I still love space, and the stories created to live out adventures there-in. :)

Tom

An Old Friend
Like I said, I am not trying to dissuade you.
Thing is, the premise has been done before.
The ages and players change but the story is the same.
But...if it makes you some money, who cares?
The point is making money, right?

I just know that a lot of science fiction and fantasy works are
created with no intention of making money or fame.
To "go where nobody has gone" IS The POINT.

While you might have a great story, it needs to be unique to attract positive attention.
Granted, much of what you have shared is commonplace.
Since it is commonplace, it delves into ideas that have already been explored.
While it may be a nice addition to previous works,
I don't think the concept is a stand-alone, just more of the same

Last edited:

SpaceScooter

Cadet
Oh, I'm not dissuaded. I still think I have a good story on my hands, so I'll keep writing.
I do thank you for your opinion, though. I did ask for it, after all.
Perhaps I should embellish more on the premise instead of leaving it vague.
If you read the story, I hope you find a small amount of enjoyment in it, even if all it is is galactic popcorn.
Thank you. :)

Top Bottom