Shows With Low Ratings Get The Boot

From the Courier Journal-

Alias is mentioned at the bottom----it's not encouraging.

Network executives are burning the midnight oil in Los Angeles these days, trying to design schedules for the fall TV season. About 35 or 40 new series will get a shot at making the lineup, which means that many of the shows on the air right now won't be four months from now.

Almost any show in the top 25 is assured of being renewed. There will be another "Joe Millionaire" of some sort on Fox after that show finishes the season at No. 3 in the season standings.

"CSI: Miami" is a shoo-in at No. 12 on CBS. Newcomer "Without a Trace" is a sure thing at 16. So is "My Big Fat Greek Life" at 32 on that network.

But keep your eye on NBC's "Good Morning Miami." It's 25th in the rankings but fails to hold onto more than 2 million people watching "Will & Grace" which is on right before it. Losing a large lead-in audience is a big no-no in network television and could mean lights out for the series.

Viewers never found "Cedric the Entertainer" (97) that entertaining, and now Wanda Sykes' new sitcom (35) is attracting 3 million more viewers for Fox in that time spot. Say good night, Cedric.

NBC's "Third Watch" (43) could be in trouble. ABC's "Monday Night Football" (11) pummels it in the fall, and CBS' "Everybody Loves Raymond" (8) beats up on it all season long. That doesn't leave a lot of audience for this fine drama.

"Crossing Jordan" (45) is on the fence too. Jill Hennessy's NBC series could be deader than one of her corpses since the show lost over 5 million viewers from last season. No doubt about why. "CSI: Miami" (12) waltzed in and took over Monday nights at 10 for CBS.

"Becker" (48) had better watch out on CBS. At this time last year, Ted Danson's show was 13th and had 16.3 million viewers. Now it's down to 7.5 million, and CBS pulled it during the May sweeps, which is often a kiss of death.

Things are pretty iffy for "Ed" (49) on NBC too. The sweet, romantic comedy is also missing from the sweeps lineup, but it enjoyed a surge in the Nielsens for its finale a couple of weeks ago and could be back in the fall. It will be close.

Producer David E. Kelley is furious about "The Practice" being bounced from Sunday to Monday nights by ABC to make way for Dick Wolf's revival of "Dragnet." He ought to be. The legal drama has dropped from 13 million viewers last season to fewer than 7 million now. The betting is that "The Practice," at No. 52 in the ratings, will be shut down.

ABC was courting Wolf, whose "Law & Order" franchises represent a very big slice of the NBC ratings and revenue pie. For that reason ABC execs may ignore the poor showing for "Dragnet" (56).

NBC's "Boomtown" (55) recently won a Peabody award for excellence, but that probably won't be enough to save the show. The critics love its multilayered story lines and forward and backward plot development, but it has never caught on with the audience.

Several other dramas are at risk. CBS' "Hack" (67) with David Morse as a brooding cabbie is likely to get shut down.

Lots of people liked "Mr. Sterling" (57), the saga of an idealistic freshman senator, but the ratings dropped as its trial run continued, and NBC may not re-elect the series for another term.

"American Dreams" is an NBC favorite. The network has put a lot of money and promotion into the show about a 1960s teenager, but it's expensive, and at No. 65 in the season tallies, it's teetering toward cancellation. So is CBS' "The Agency," a show you might think would be going great guns with all the talk of war and terrorism. But the CIA drama is close to extinction at 77.

"Life With Bonnie" looks like a dead duck at 81 on ABC. Bonnie Hunt has just never hit it off with audiences in several sitcom tries.

The most interesting dilemma may be ABC's "Alias." The quirky spy show gets oodles of network promotion and hype. But the show about a young female agent on the run seems ripe at No.92 for being killed off. Being a network darling will only get you so far.

there has to be a 4th season! and a 5th atleast! I can't imagine my week w/o alias. its one of the few tv shows i acutully take time off my schedual to watch!

Marlene said:
there has to be a 4th season! and a 5th atleast! I can't imagine my week w/o alias. its one of the few tv shows i acutully take time off my schedual to watch!
Same here. I hate to say but maybe it would help to change days.

I can't believe this ! Alias is such a great show !! It's smart and entertaining and ..... I just have positive words for this show ! The critic thinks the same, so why Alias is n°92 ??!!!???!!!! I don't understand !!!

I'm suffering from ADS Alias Depretation Syndrome (might of spelled it wrong) I can't beleave they made us wait 3 weeks 4 a new ep. i'm going out of my mind. ABC can't get rid of it they will lose major ratings. I don't know how i will make it thur the summer! *Sigh* At lest we get 2 Ep. back to back!

WOW ... # 92 ... thats a big OMG here ... :blink:

What? No way in hell? I cazn't believe this ... :eek:

"Alias" needs to be on, for a couple of more years ... if ABC drops
the show, what am I gonna do on Sunday nights then ... :confused:

nooo they CANT cancel alasi!! ::sobs:: they cant! what about the loyal fans!?!?! what bout us? are they gonna let us suffer!?!?!

Are these rankings based on ratings? How is it dragnet is higher on the list than Alias, when Alias is its lead in and usually people drop out? I mean, I thought Dragnet wasn't doing so well.... this sucks. :(

And American Dreams BETTER NOT be cancelled. That's all I can say.

At least Alias is getting a chance (even if they're not moving it to a less competitive spot in the lineup). I can't understand NBC not renewing Boomtown after the Peabody and winning its slot for a couple of weeks . . . They said if it improved they would renew. It did and it looks like they're still going to cancel it.
:(

NOOOOO!!! They CAN'T cancel it! Maybe it'll get better in the 3rd season! At least abc let Alias go for a 3rd season. Those monkies seem to be getting brains!!!!!!

ooo man i really liked the practice (esepecially bc dragnet sucks), crossing jordan, and mister sterling (they didnt show the finale bc of the war on iraq)

I'd kind of like to know where Alias was on the affluent 18-49 demographic list (saw highlights recently). 24 was the highest-rated drama, followed by ER, maybe because "must-see" Thursday was all really high (Good Morning Miami was the highest-rated show for this demo, can you believe it?). But I don't know how to get the full list.
;)

Back