Season 3 Spoiler Speculation...

AnAlias

Cadet
Okay, this is what I’ve felt for a while is going on here and why I’m really not worried at all about Sydney and Vaughn. This is how I’m going to enjoy every single moment of the episodes that are to come. (Warning: Longwindedness ahead!)

(Note: I'm sorry, I didn't quite know where to post this. If it's in the wrong place, I'll delete and post elsewhere - thanks!)

<!--SPOILER BEGIN--><div onClick="openClose('b8013c1bb56c23308830a07d4a71c746')" style="font-weight: bold">Click For Spoiler</div><div id="b8013c1bb56c23308830a07d4a71c746" style="display:none"><!--SPOILER END-->I feel that Lauren is a good person, that she did fall in love with Vaughn. I think we will end up liking her, feeling sorry for her and this is why.

Vaughn will explore a darker side. And how!: Vaughn loved Sydney like he’s never loved anyone before or since. There is no way on earth that he would get over her in two years, despite what that crafty team over at “Alias” would like us to believe. They also doth protest too much. More than anything, Vaughn has always shown himself to be a man of honor. The memory of his father most to the forefront of his mind, as he told Sydney at the end of Season 1, is that he was a company man. Never broke the rules, never rocked the boat. Never found peace. Vaughn was determined, although he loved and admired his father, to not be this man.

When Sydney ‘died’, Vaughn was a broken man. He had lost the love of his life. There is absolutely no way that he would leave to work as a teacher and then turn around and get into bed with one of the people who (although duty bound) were instrumental in freeing whom he, and Jack, consider to be behind the death of the love of his life. Enter Lauren, an unwitting pawn in an unfair game. One of the NSC agents responsible for the release of evil. This is not a cut and dried incident either. Released, done, hands washed, moving on with the picket fence. Turns out, she also has monthly meetings with the devil. Information every four weeks. Discussions and theories between husband and wife. Pillow talk comes in very handy, especially as Vaughn is an ex-CIA agent. As far as his wife is concerned, she can discuss many things logically with her partner because of his background. Vaughn knows this, knows this would be a natural extension of a marriage.

Getting Out of the Game: Understandable in most circumstances. Now we all know that Vaughn has tried and failed to use his own time and dime to investigate things that mean a lot to him; the honor of his father’s memory and the protection of Syd. He tried it once, investigating Irina, and it resulted in an Internal Affairs investigation. He knows this doesn’t work. So he exits the CIA. The CIA no longer has day to day tabs on him. He needs to follow no protocol. So he leaves. He maneuvers himself into a position beside someone that can help him.

The Moral Compass: Vaughn has been changed by the loss of Sydney. He has nothing more to lose, except maybe his soul. And he doesn’t care. All he cares about is finding those who killed his Sydney. Which leads me to Jack. I believe he and Jack were working together until Jack was slung in the slammer. Jack’s reaction to Sydney’s initial announcement that Vaughn had married is so telling. I believe that Jack either knows there’s more to this marriage, or he feels Vaughn wasn’t the man he had come to believe he was and he’d given up. This spec is up in the air.

The Force Returns: Vaughn is chin high deep in his pursuit. I’m sure he cares about Lauren. I’m sure he has as much guilt a man can have in a situation he chose to create. In walks Sydney. For whatever reasons, he can’t yet come clean. He can’t tell Sydney. He can’t stop her hurting, or his own, just yet. Some of the reasons why we can guess at; How does he extract himself? How does he not ruin this poor woman, Lauren, that has done nothing but love him? How does he give up living a lie? A lie he has woven with friends, colleagues, family. There are probably even more unknown reasons in there too.

This is a dark turn for Vaughn. This adds so much to his character and fulfills the audience’ wish for a love that won’t die. This makes Jack’s words (excellently delivered by Garber) as far from the truth as you can get. This makes Vaughn a man. This makes him more than good enough for a beloved daughter of an American CIA Agent and a Russian Spy.

And So It Begins (Again!): I believe for some reason, he will remain where he sits at the moment. I do feel that at some point he’ll crack and tell Sydney. They will want to be together and actually may meet in secret. This solves the tension problem the writers so desperately love. Sydney and Vaughn will be both together and apart.

In my opinion, this makes “Alias” the adult show it’s meant to be. Moral compasses wiggle back and forth perilously throughout this world. Jack, Irina, Sloane, Sydney, Vaughn - all these characters have been and continue to be driven by circumstances of the world they live in; to do things that they wouldn’t under normal circumstances. This is not a normal world.<!--SPOILER DIV--></div><!--SPOILER DIV-->
I’m willing to wait to see how this fabulous storyline plays out. I so look forward to it. If it isn’t already, it’s going to be the best hour of television.

Wow - that's some theory. I like the sound of Vaughn being so damn secretive, sly and clever. Syd always did say he was "smart". Dunno whether i believe it or not but i have to agree with you that over the course of season 3 lots of things are gonna unfold and it's gonna be well worht the wait when we finally start getting some answers to all of our questions.

Possible. We'll see. I just don't see why, if this is true, he hasn't said anything to Sydney yet.
;)

I agree with you theory of Vaughn but I am not on the same page with you about Lauren. I don't think she is this sweet innocent girl. I think that is what she wants people to think. But she brokered Sloane's deal that he is now free. Something is up there and can't wait to see how it all plays out.

I dunno. So far Lauren seems a bit arrogantly stupid to be evilly duplicitous, but I suppose it could all be an excellent act . . . it's easy to behave in an arrogantly stupid manner.
;)

That is very interesting theory, possibly to further elaborate on it if I may. Maybe Vaughn is the one playing a similar role as Irina did in Jacks life. Maybe Vaughn was assigned to a deep cover mission to spy and gather information from Lauren by marrying her. That sure would be twisted, and unexpected for Vaughn's character. There is an interesting parallel there, since Vaughn left the CIA to become a teacher, and Irina was supposed to be a teacher as well. I don't know, but there has to be some explanation, I don't see how they could have fallen in love, dated, planned a wedding, and gotten married so quickly, but I guess sometimes it happens that way. :confused:

Yeah, and if he ends up betraying Lauren as Laura betrayed Jack, do you think Jack's going to want Vaughn anywhere near his daughter? I don't think so.
^_^

Back