Taken

awww that last chaper all ready ;p oh I hope beth says somthing soon :smiley: I still wonder what could have happend to make her go silent?? but cant wait for me :smiley:
<3
syd

YA they are going to have another baby!!! :jump:
HA I loved the flashback when Vaughn fainted..too cute!!! :lol:
And poor Syd...I hope Beth talks soon!!!
Great update!! Loved it!!

Surprised you didn't get the reference. Modified kaexelate cocktail washed with tetrodotoxin presented in a bottle of Chambertin Clos de Bez. Just like we used in Saigon. But understand, this was not done out of compassion. I orchestrated this because and only because I need you. -Jack

big words.... haha. seriously, I don't understand that but I know what they're talking about.

Last chapter tomorrow?
Already?
Wow.
Quick.
Its hard staying awake. I went to sleep oh around 6AM and woke up around oh 730AM when my sister RUDLY woke me up when she was going to work... and then I fell back around 8 and woke back up at 9.

-99 days :beret: 🤠 :Pirate2:

i just want to slap that little kid. but that'd be child abuse, and its illegal, and wrong. damn.

haha. Beth's great and all, she's just annoying me right now. TALK DAMNIT!!!

I can just imagine Sydney and Vaughn's frustration that they can't get Beth to talk. Maybe she won't talk until the baby is born but I hope she does.

Chris

Ok soo saw that coming ... knew she was going to be preggers cause of the shower incident ... love Michaels reaction to the first time she was preggers ... aww wish would say something anything ... more soon please

I'm so happy for them ^_^ , they really deserve some happy news, and a new baby is going to be a new start for them ^_^

I just hope Beth won't fell like they are going to sent her away and stop loving her because of the new baby :( .

Chapter 10
Sydney and Michael were hopeful that the next opportunity to entice their daughter into talking would be Halloween. The previous year, Beth had loved going trick-or-treating with her father, and Sydney had a wonderful time dressing them in their costumes.

“Okay, okay, come on. You guys are just so freakin’ cute. I gotta take your picture,” Sydney giggled.

“Syyyyyd,” Michael groaned.

“No, I gotta,” she insisted.

Michael grumbled and adjusted his carrot colored wig and then picked up his four-year-old, who was sporting hair of a similar color. Sydney had come up with the ingenious idea of dressing them up as Raggedy Ann and Andy. She found the carrot-red wigs at a costume shop along with some white hats to fit each of them. At another shop she found the red and white striped socks necessary for the ensemble.

She had made her daughter an adorable white apron to go over a blue dress she already had and then the final touches of freckles on the cheeks were added with face paint. For Michael, he was wearing denim overalls he borrowed from his father and a rather ugly red and white checked shirt Sydney had ‘borrowed’ from her mother’s ‘discarding Jack’s clothes he’s never worn in his life’ pile. He too had black freckles painted on his cheeks and in his words, looked ‘like a loon’.

“You two are just so precious,” Sydney giggled as she snapped pictures. “This should be our Christmas card.”

“NO!” Michael said firmly.

“Daddy cute,” Beth giggled.

“Awwww,” Sydney sighed.

“Yeah yeah, you’re cute too, Sweet Pea,” he kissed her cheek; she giggled again.

“Hey, this is better than the Halloween you were a nerd,” Sydney smiled at him.

“Oh yeah… that was the year you were a wh-”

“SHH!” Sydney cut him off by clamping her hand over his mouth. “Not in front of young ears.”

“Sorry… but next year we’re being something manly… or
you’re dressing up with her,” he said.

Unfortunately, every time Sydney and Michael would mention Halloween, Beth would shake her head vigorously. She didn’t want to go trick-or-treating that year. This made Sydney and Michael even more distraught. Pretty much the only thing keeping them together was their new baby, who, according to the doctor, was perfectly healthy.

For Thanksgiving that year, Sydney and Michael decided to have a huge family get together, to surround Beth with as much love as possible. They were having both sets of parents as well as Nadia, Eric and April over. Though it was a lot of work, Sydney was sure it would be worth it. Sadly, she couldn’t have been more wrong.

The first part of dinner went perfectly fine, until suddenly, out of nowhere, Beth ran screaming from the table. The whole table fell silent and exchanged glances for a few moments before Sydney got up and followed her daughter. She found Beth cowering in the corner of her room.

“Sweetie, what’s wrong?” Sydney asked her softly. Beth said nothing. Sydney approached her slowly and picked her up. Noticing that she was trembling, Sydney cradled her close and sat down with her on the bed. “Sweetie, what happened? Are you okay?” Sydney asked her, but Beth didn’t respond.

“Okay, why don’t you lay down a few minutes? I’ll lay here with you,” Sydney told her. She laid down in Beth’s bed and rubbed her back while whispering soft things into her ear until Beth seemed to be calm.

Then, just as suddenly as she had screamed, Beth got off her bed and went downstairs like nothing had happened. Sydney went to follow her, but instead, broke down in tears in her daughter’s tiny bed. She curled herself up in a ball. A few minutes later, Michael came into the room and sat down on the floor beside her (since there was no more room in the bed) and hugged her tightly.

“Syd,” he said softly after a few minutes.

“I just… I don’t know how much more I can take,” she choked out.

“I know,” he sighed. He was feeling the same way, and he knew that her pregnancy only heightened her emotions, so he was shocked this breakdown hadn’t come sooner.

“I don’t know what to do anymore,” she sobbed.

“I don’t either Syd, but we have to keep trying. We can’t give up on her,” he said to his wife.

“I-I know that,” she choked. “But it’s so h-hard.”

“I know,” he sighed. Then he leaned in and kissed her moist cheeks and lips a few times. He held her tightly until she had regained her composure and then they walked down the stairs together.

Downstairs, they found Beth had taken her place at the table once more. They too, took their places, and the conversation continued, though it was slightly more stressed than before.

“Oh Michael, we nearly forgot. Happy Birthday son,” his father said as he handed him an envelope.

“Oh…yeah… thanks,” he laughed softly. He had actually forgotten about his birthday because of the events with Beth.

Eric chuckled. “You’re ooooold.”

“Thanks,” Michael rolled his eyes.

“He’s old?! How do you think we feel?!” Amelia laughed softly. Jack and Irina laughed at this.

~*~

Saturday morning, the morning of his birthday, Michael awoke with Sydney curled up in his arms, completely exhausted after the ‘present’ she had given him the previous night. He hugged her lightly and kissed her head. Thirty wasn’t so bad after all, he decided.

“Mmm Michael, are you waking me up?” Sydney mumbled.

“I wouldn’t dream of it my dear,” he said softly, moving his hands to her belly, which was still flat (for the time being, anyway).

“Okay,” she sighed as she snuggled back up to him.

A few minutes later, Beth came barreling into the room. She dove onto their bed and slid across it with a huge grin on her face. “Morning princess,” Michael laughed softly.

“Happy Birthday Daddy!” she squealed.

Both Sydney and Michael were convinced they were having strokes. Sydney’s eyes snapped open and she stared at her beaming daughter. “W-what?” she choked, thinking she had imagined the whole thing.

Beth clambered up into her father’s arms, where she kissed his cheek. “Happy Birthday Daddy! You’re ooooold,” she giggled, obviously mimicking her mischievous uncle.

Michael couldn’t help but laugh. “I think that’s the best thing I’ve ever heard. Thank you so much, Sweetie,” he said as he kissed her.

Sydney simply stared in disbelief. Beth was talking again just like nothing had ever happened. The therapist had told them it might happen that way; as if a light switch had simply been turned off and then back on suddenly.

“Come on, Daddy! Come get presents and breakfast!” Beth said as she tugged on his arm.

“Okay, okay,” he laughed softly. He turned and kissed Sydney softly before following his daughter out of the room. This was going to be the best birthday ever.

Epilogue
“Beth, come ‘ere. You wanna meet your brother?” Michael asked softly as he walked into his house with his wife and newborn son in tow.

“Yay baby!” Beth squealed as she bounded down from Eric’s lap.

“Shh Beth, you need to be quiet,” Michael said in a soft voice.

“Baby!” Beth said more quietly.

“That’s good,” Michael laughed softly. “Now sit down on the couch and Mommy will sit beside you.”

Beth bounded onto the couch and a moment later, Sydney slowly sat down with her bundle of blue blankets. “Sweetie, this is Jonathan,” Sydney told her softly as she pulled the blankets away from the very pink infant’s face.

Beth scrunched up her nose and looked inside the blankets. “He’s ugly.”

Everyone in the room laughed at her bluntness. “Beth!” Michael exclaimed.

“Well, he is!”

“Sweetie, he’s a baby; babies look like this,” Sydney explained. Beth just shrugged and walked away. “Oh well,” Sydney sighed. “You guys wanna hold him?” she offered her sister and brother-in-law.

“No, not me,” Eric backed away slowly.

“You’re pathetic,” Michael laughed at his friend’s baby aversion. “Besides, this one’s a boy. Our kind. We can mess with him,” Michael smiled proudly.

“Excuse me,” Sydney said. “You cannot mess with my angel.”

“Well, Syd, you have to leave the house sometime,” Eric grinned wickedly, warming up to the idea. Nadia elbowed him in the stomach and he groaned.

-fin-

thanks for reading everyone :hug:
thanks to the betas :hug:

tomorrow a new fic Love this Way an interesting premise... sydney's a doctor and it's set in chicago and semi ER inspired (at least in the beginning) because... well you'll see ;)

Lol okay so im not first, I loved it anywho! lol

Im so glad she's talking again! and for something that special to be her 'first words' again, so cute :smiley:

Cant wait for the new fic

Aly..x

Back