The Beauty of the Rain

ohhh so does that mean he's not with alice?

will ahd francie are a couple of lightweights aren't they?

ahhh i do love this fic, thanks for the pm hope school eases up :smiley:

that was a cute chapter, they soo love each other :2love:

he should dump Alice and start dating Syd , Alice is nice n everything but i like Syd betta 👍

please update soon, this storys really good :groupwave:

Luv Em :ninja: :stick: :Ph34r:

:notworthy:

My mind just stopped working, I think :D

He smiles back, allowing the wrinkles in his forehead to relax. “I think you know,” he says, almost with wonder. As if he didn’t expect you to feel the same way. Which is ridiculous. You wouldn’t meet just anyone at the pier that late at night.

Nod slightly. You know.

You also know that he’s moving closer to you, almost unconsciously, and it’s just a matter of moments before your lips meet. A first kiss. The fog is ready to burst into droplets of water, a million colors under the streetlights.

*heart attack*

I love the way you write. It's so simple, precise and straight to the point, and it's just... Wow? I suppose the less words you use, the better, and JEEBUS do you do a good job of using a minimal amount of words! :woot:

And the almost-kiss... Gah, the almost-kiss! I was about to explode in happiness! :D

Instead, a phone rings. His. He takes a sharp breath in, then takes the trilling cell phone out of his pocket. The name on the caller ID makes him sigh. He answers it. “Hi,” he says. Listens for a beat. “Yeah, I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” Another beat. “Okay. Bye.” He flips his phone shut and puts it back into his pocket. He gives you a wry smile. “Alice.”

Until the phone rang.

:mellow:

Why does a phone call always have to interrupt them?! :cry:

e sighs again, rubs his forehead with his hand again. “I mean everything I said.” His eyes beg you to understand.

“I know. But I’m not going to be THAT woman.”

“What woman?”

“You know the one.” You’re ready to walk away, leave the scene of an almost crime. He takes your arm again. An endless cycle of the same gestures, the same words, the same disappointments.

“You aren’t,” he insists, giving you a meaningful look. Maybe the cycle is broken – no more disappointments. You smile at him again and walk back towards your car.

Lovethedialoguelovethedialoguelovethedialogue...

It's so simple. But so... *flails arms about* :lol:

Seriously though, your writing is amazing... I loved every bit of that chapter, and hopefully we'll get another update soon? :angelic:

Cai
x

I love the way you write. It's so simple, precise and straight to the point, and it's just... Wow? I suppose the less words you use, the better, and JEEBUS do you do a good job of using a minimal amount of words!

Cai, you're so sweet! When I write, I always tend to be rather minimalist with the words... which gets me in trouble when I write papers for class - they're most usually under the minimum requirements. :lol:

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Am writing the next chapter - handwriting it, because I'm away from my laptop. It's slowly coming along.

This is fantastic! Can I get a pm when you update?

I love the angst. I'm feeling both excited and frustrated... just like the good old days of S/V!

I'm exhausted but I very much appreciate the palpable feeling of the story you are telling. It seems possible to recreate the story in a new and different way... I can't wait for more.

Wow... I'm a little... late
*hides* Sorry.

That chapter was phinominal (totally spelt wrong), and I absolutely love the way you get your point across without making us read a cagillion words.

And, by Vaughn saying Syd wasnt the other woman... is implying hes not with Alice? And if so, why on earth would he want to see her then?

Thanks for the PM.
I cant wait to read more!
*_Ash

I am so so so sorry for the lack of updates! The past few weeks have been CRAZY and now that it's finals week, things are finally winding down.

I hope you all haven't forgotten about this! :lol:

Four

Things are starting to get complicated.

When you’re with him, there are brief moments when you wonder what the hell you’re doing. Your life is already so complex – being a double agent, lying to your friends, everything to do with your parents. Your relationship with Vaughn only makes things more difficult. But then he looks at you, kisses you… and you know that it’s all worth it.

You’ve fallen hard for him – you don’t remember the last guy who made you feel this way. If it was possible, you’d spend every single moment with him.

Of course, it isn’t possible. Not even close. In fact, you can’t even be seen with him in public. That makes it impossible to have a real date – there are only late night meetings at the pier, the observatory, the train station. Preceding these meetings are lies to tell Francie and sometimes Will, and an elaborate path to the destination. Lots of extra turns, excruciating side trips down random streets, keeping tabs on the rearview mirror, hoping that SD 6 is not tailing you. So far, you’ve been lucky. But how long can this luck last?

Remember that first kiss. It happened at the first meeting in the warehouse, after that night on the pier. This meeting had a legitimate purpose – another mission. It was all business at first, so much so that you wondered if he had decided to ignore all the revelations of the night before. Or maybe you had gotten drunk, after all, and dreamed it.

After detailing the counter-mission, he had fallen silent. He looked down at his shoes, you looked down at yours. You were wearing the inappropriately sexy boots again. The toes – square, not pointed – peeked out from under your black slacks. The silence had been so deafening that you cleared your throat to interrupt it. The noise had startled him enough for his eyes to fly to your face briefly, before focusing on the cardboard boxes to his left. Another few minutes of this awkwardness and you were done. He wasn’t going to acknowledge it and neither were you. Taking a deep breath, you finally said, “Well, I should go…”

Finally, that seemed to wake him up. He reached out and grabbed your arm. “Wait,” he had said. He pressed his lips together, waited a beat, then said it. “Alice and I broke up.”

You had looked down at his hand on your arm – the same hand had reached out to touch your arm the night before – then up at his face. Before you could think of a reply, he leaned in with a rush and kissed you.

It was breathless and sweet, full of emotions only half-spoken. He tasted vaguely like peppermint, and you wondered if he had planned it all. After a long moment, you broke apart. He leaned his forehead against yours, your fingers laced together. A few deep breaths, then he had said, simply, “So…”

“So…” you had repeated, a smile playing on your lips.

The next couple of weeks were filled with these moments. Under the guise of a work-related briefing, with actual missions to discuss. Work first. And then he suggested meeting at the observatory at night, after it was closed. An unexpected and rare lull at SD 6 – no mission to discuss. You met close to the building, in the shadows, hidden from the world. That was the first time you seriously thought about having sex with him. Not out in the open, and not in your jeep – which was probably bugged anyways – but in his standard black sedan. Those thoughts were enough to make you blush, and even in the darkness, he had noticed and asked about it. In response, you merely kissed him.

The next time you met him at the observatory, it actually happened. It wasn’t perfect – in his car, you felt kind of like an awkward teenager – but it was with him, and that was all that mattered. The entire time, you were both almost too much on edge, hoping someone wouldn’t see the car in the dark, empty lot. No one did, but you both agreed that it was too dangerous to do that again.

It isn’t all about the sex, anyways. When you meet at the train station, he sits facing one way and you sit facing the opposite direction. And you just talk. About work. Childhood – he told you how he found out that Santa Claus wasn’t real when he was eight. Funny stories about mundane activities like going to the grocery store. Anything but your relationship. That conversation is just under the surface, permeating every silence. You don’t want to bring it up, afraid that the impossibility of this relationship will become a reality. Where else can it lead to but disaster? You feel like the only saving grace would be the downfall of SD 6, the destruction of the Alliance.

But really, it didn’t get really complicated until Will found out.

It happened so innocently. You were talking to him, getting ready for yet another mission, this time to Crete. He asked, “What’s so thrilling about this spy stuff anyways?”

“It’s hard to explain,” you said, trying to find the words to explain. “It’s like kissing someone you’ve liked forever for the first time. You know, that rush.” And immediately, you blushed, wishing you had chosen a different example.

Will’s piercing blue eyes had caught that blush. You never blushed – as a spy, it was something you didn’t want to do – so when you did turn red, it was really noteworthy. And he knew that. “Oh? You’ve had experience with that lately?” he asked, amusement edging his voice.

You had smiled, tucked a loose strand hair behind your ear, trying to cover. “Of course not,” you replied, maybe a little too quickly, a little too glibly.

He had just looked at you for a second or two. And then he knew. His eyes widened and he said, “With –?” before you shushed him, affirming the question he already knew the answer to. As well as you could, you begged him to secrecy and fielded off his questions. He hasn’t brought it up again, but now when you make up an excuse to go meet Vaughn, he looks at you, silently asking, “What the hell are you doing?” That’s what you think that look means, anyways. Of course you can trust Will. But when somebody else knows, the relationship is more real. More concrete. More of a potential mistake that can never be undone.

And then, in Crete, you made a mistake during the mission. It was so minor, so seemingly inconsequential. But as a result, you weren’t able to give the information to the CIA – SD 6 got it instead. Kendall asked you what you were thinking. You weren’t sure, but it was probably along the lines of what the tattoo on Vaughn’s arm meant. Of course, you didn’t tell that to Kendall. You stood there and took it, instead of arguing back as you usually did. As you were berated, Vaughn stood at Kendall’s right, slightly behind him. Though you kept your eyes focused on Kendall’s angry face, you knew Vaughn’s brow was furrowed, worried. Kendall got over it and Vaughn never brought it up. Your father was also there, standing on the other side of Kendall, watching you closely with his arms crossed. He also hasn’t brought it up yet, but you don’t doubt that he’s figured everything out. Jack Bristow rarely misses a thing.

The weather in L.A. has been unusually cloudy lately. No real rain, but the sky is a bomb, ready to explode at any minute now. You wait for it.

wow.. amazing!! so totally different to anything ive ever read before! im in awe, this is brilliant. if you would, pm me please when you next update?! thanks!

I'm still totally in awe of the way you write. I went back and read the whole thing from the beginning again.

Great chapter!

I'd love to see how you would tackle the two of them on a mission together or having a disagreement. I can't wait for the next installment. There is a certain timeless quality about the way you write. It is hard to pinpoint from what place in time she is reflecting... which leaves endless material to delve into. From a reader's perspective it is totally captivating.

Since I have no better way to spend my time (I'm waiting for Will & Grace! :lol:smiley:, I may as well quote... Going along as I read! :woot:

Things are starting to get complicated.

When you’re with him, there are brief moments when you wonder what the hell you’re doing. Your life is already so complex – being a double agent, lying to your friends, everything to do with your parents. Your relationship with Vaughn only makes things more difficult. But then he looks at you, kisses you… and you know that it’s all worth it.

You’ve fallen hard for him – you don’t remember the last guy who made you feel this way. If it was possible, you’d spend every single moment with him.

*sigh*

If only I could write like you...

The start to this chapter really drew me in though. Usually I start reading updates to fics and think, 'wtf? :confused:' and I quickly lose interest. Other times, I'll start reading and again, think, 'wtf?,' and go back a page or two to look for the previous chapter, because I have no idea what the writer is going on about. But your updates always start off in a way that immediately draws me in, and even stopping to quote now, is horribly agonising, because I'm desperate to read on... So as to not prolong my agony, let's go on, shall we? ^_^

Of course, it isn’t possible. Not even close. In fact, you can’t even be seen with him in public. That makes it impossible to have a real date – there are only late night meetings at the pier, the observatory, the train station. Preceding these meetings are lies to tell Francie and sometimes Will, and an elaborate path to the destination. Lots of extra turns, excruciating side trips down random streets, keeping tabs on the rearview mirror, hoping that SD 6 is not tailing you. So far, you’ve been lucky. But how long can this luck last?

*kicks Sydney in the shin*

Why must she be so pessimistic? It's only realistic, but... That's not the point. :mellow:

The point is... If I can recall it... :Ponder: OH! Is that I love how as you go on, things are contradicted. It's almost like following Sydney's thought process, and that's way more interesting than fics that simply state actions, and don't show emotions/thoughts. Love the rhetorical questions too :smiley:

After detailing the counter-mission, he had fallen silent. He looked down at his shoes, you looked down at yours. You were wearing the inappropriately sexy boots again. The toes – square, not pointed – peeked out from under your black slacks. The silence had been so deafening that you cleared your throat to interrupt it. The noise had startled him enough for his eyes to fly to your face briefly, before focusing on the cardboard boxes to his left. Another few minutes of this awkwardness and you were done. He wasn’t going to acknowledge it and neither were you. Taking a deep breath, you finally said, “Well, I should go…”

Finally, that seemed to wake him up. He reached out and grabbed your arm. “Wait,” he had said. He pressed his lips together, waited a beat, then said it. “Alice and I broke up.”

I've found another thing I love about this fic! :woot: It's the fact that it's based around the days of Season One and/or Two. Is it just me, or does everyone write about Season Three and onwards? Anyway, originality. That's the word I was looking for! ^_^

Also love the awkwardness between Sydney and Vaughn... And he broke up with Alice! :happydance:

You had looked down at his hand on your arm – the same hand had reached out to touch your arm the night before – then up at his face. Before you could think of a reply, he leaned in with a rush and kissed you.

It was breathless and sweet, full of emotions only half-spoken. He tasted vaguely like peppermint, and you wondered if he had planned it all. After a long moment, you broke apart. He leaned his forehead against yours, your fingers laced together. A few deep breaths, then he had said, simply, “So…”

“So…” you had repeated, a smile playing on your lips.

:laughbounce:

Oh god, how they are cute. It's so awkward, their brand new relationship... It's almost like it's still wrapped in that plastic that furniture comes in when they deliver it to your house. Sit on them, and it's the most uncomfortable feeling in the world, it makes you feel awkward and until the plastic comes off, it's just weird. But I love the awkward beginnings to their relationship! You write it so well. :D

The next couple of weeks were filled with these moments. Under the guise of a work-related briefing, with actual missions to discuss. Work first. And then he suggested meeting at the observatory at night, after it was closed. An unexpected and rare lull at SD 6 – no mission to discuss. You met close to the building, in the shadows, hidden from the world. That was the first time you seriously thought about having sex with him. Not out in the open, and not in your jeep – which was probably bugged anyways – but in his standard black sedan. Those thoughts were enough to make you blush, and even in the darkness, he had noticed and asked about it. In response, you merely kissed him.

The next time you met him at the observatory, it actually happened. It wasn’t perfect – in his car, you felt kind of like an awkward teenager – but it was with him, and that was all that mattered. The entire time, you were both almost too much on edge, hoping someone wouldn’t see the car in the dark, empty lot. No one did, but you both agreed that it was too dangerous to do that again.

I like this montage thing you've got happening... It's a good way to fly through and develop their relationship without boring the hell out of your readers, which is always good! I also love (hey, I love many things about this fic :P) how every aspect of their relationship is anything but perfect. Sex in his black sedan? Meetings in secret? It screams imperfection, but it suits who they are... You captured it perfectly, too! ^_^

It isn’t all about the sex, anyways. When you meet at the train station, he sits facing one way and you sit facing the opposite direction. And you just talk. About work. Childhood – he told you how he found out that Santa Claus wasn’t real when he was eight. Funny stories about mundane activities like going to the grocery store. Anything but your relationship. That conversation is just under the surface, permeating every silence. You don’t want to bring it up, afraid that the impossibility of this relationship will become a reality. Where else can it lead to but disaster? You feel like the only saving grace would be the downfall of SD 6, the destruction of the Alliance.

Awww... The depth you've managed to create in their relationship is amazing. There's emotion to it, and little mundane stories and just... I love this fic so much right now! :lol:

But really, it didn’t get really complicated until Will found out.

YOU'RE KIDDING ME! :shock:

It happened so innocently. You were talking to him, getting ready for yet another mission, this time to Crete. He asked, “What’s so thrilling about this spy stuff anyways?”

“It’s hard to explain,” you said, trying to find the words to explain. “It’s like kissing someone you’ve liked forever for the first time. You know, that rush.” And immediately, you blushed, wishing you had chosen a different example.

Will’s piercing blue eyes had caught that blush. You never blushed – as a spy, it was something you didn’t want to do – so when you did turn red, it was really noteworthy. And he knew that. “Oh? You’ve had experience with that lately?” he asked, amusement edging his voice.

You had smiled, tucked a loose strand hair behind your ear, trying to cover. “Of course not,” you replied, maybe a little too quickly, a little too glibly.

Oh dear... That is so incredibly cute that she'd gush like that, but... Okay, excuse me here, but Will creeps me out. It's just the whole best friend who has a crush on you thing... It's just weird. :lol:

And then, in Crete, you made a mistake during the mission. It was so minor, so seemingly inconsequential. But as a result, you weren’t able to give the information to the CIA – SD 6 got it instead. Kendall asked you what you were thinking. You weren’t sure, but it was probably along the lines of what the tattoo on Vaughn’s arm meant. Of course, you didn’t tell that to Kendall. You stood there and took it, instead of arguing back as you usually did. As you were berated, Vaughn stood at Kendall’s right, slightly behind him. Though you kept your eyes focused on Kendall’s angry face, you knew Vaughn’s brow was furrowed, worried. Kendall got over it and Vaughn never brought it up. Your father was also there, standing on the other side of Kendall, watching you closely with his arms crossed. He also hasn’t brought it up yet, but you don’t doubt that he’s figured everything out. Jack Bristow rarely misses a thing.

Oh dear.

:Pinch:

What does that tattoo mean, though? It's a valid question, you know... :Ponder:

The weather in L.A. has been unusually cloudy lately. No real rain, but the sky is a bomb, ready to explode at any minute now. You wait for it.

:thud:

That ending?

Superb.

Fantastic.

Amazing.

PERFECT!

:notworthy:

I loved that update... Hope you can write more soon!

Cai
x

Back