The Value of Wyr

I do have some good news Dyngo!

I just saved alot of money on my car insureance by switching to Geico!

Ok, kidding aside. ;)

I had a very interesting discussion with 2 GM's a couple days ago, and they plan on doing some very different things with HJ. From what I was told Raiding doesn't look to be a emphasis, if it is even in the game (and they may not be ANY raiding, from what I was told). Also, Wyr is being developed to "enhance" you skills, but not overpower them. Kinda like enhancements in CoH. And the best ones are being planned to be from quests, not from grinding. As for the economy, currency may not even be in the game. A barter economy was hinted at, and while they planned to keep adding New Wyr to the game, I was told that it would not overshadow the older Wyr in power, just be different. I'm liking what I was told, we will have to see who much of that is true, and how much of it makes it to beta/release though.

Hope this helps a bit.

The worst part about this thread is that it's so much speculation and so much fact... I'm sure we'll know the truth in about 8 months :smiley:

Yeah, well, that would be just about every thread we have going that is specifically about HJ. Fact is we wont know much till beta 3 ramps up about what is probably going to be in-game. And as you say, then we will see. :smiley:

Beta 3? What about 1 and 2? What happened? I'm confused and scared. What did I miss?!!! Oh god....Oh GOD!!!! I've missed everything!!! Everyone is laughing at me!!!! I'm dying!!! I'm f@#$ing dying!!!!!! I CAN'T BREEEAAAAAATTHHHEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o_O::o_O::o_O:

Well, that's my daily does of a child-like fit for attention. I don't get it from my parents so you guys are my daily fix. :(

Originally posted by Morneblade@Jun 14 2006, 04:18 AM
I had a very interesting discussion with 2 GM's a couple days ago, and they plan on doing some very different things with HJ. From what I was told Raiding doesn't look to be a emphasis, if it is even in the game (and they may not be ANY raiding, from what I was told). Also, Wyr is being developed to "enhance" you skills, but not overpower them. Kinda like enhancements in CoH. And the best ones are being planned to be from quests, not from grinding. As for the economy, currency may not even be in the game. A barter economy was hinted at, and while they planned to keep adding New Wyr to the game, I was told that it would not overshadow the older Wyr in power, just be different. I'm liking what I was told, we will have to see who much of that is true, and how much of it makes it to beta/release though.
Well as we cant really know for sure, we have to wait, as you say.
But it seems like they are working on these parts of the game, and thats some very good news.

HJ looks, in many ways, really promesing.
At least they seems to try out new ways and Im really looking forward to it.

Originally posted by Morneblade@Jun 14 2006, 12:18 AM
Who exactly were these GMs? That whole currency thing is nonsense.

I'm not sure about raiding, I haven't asked, and I don't think I can say much about Wyr that you don't already know..

Originally posted by Daax@Jun 14 2006, 02:35 AM
Beta 3? What about 1 and 2? What happened? I'm confused and scared. What did I miss?!!! Oh god....Oh GOD!!!! I've missed everything!!! Everyone is laughing at me!!!! I'm dying!!! I'm f@#$ing dying!!!!!! I CAN'T BREEEAAAAAATTHHHEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o_O::o_O::o_O:

Well, that's my daily does of a child-like fit for attention. I don't get it from my parents so you guys are my daily fix. :(
We haven't started any beta yet, calm down. :P

I don't get to have enough of those fits, although I probably do it often enough. I drive my boyfriend crazy and I know it. I'm horrible.

Originally posted by HJ-Diviana@Jun 14 2006, 10:47 AM

Woo! IOI: 4 ftw!

Now, Diviana-chan: how many currencies? Confess!

And why oh why are people so scared of trade in a game?

But yeah, more cats of of boxes is good. I don't know if it's my inner villain, but I am just a cat person.

Oh, and I assume what Mourneblade meant by Beta 3 was that the HJ we will see in Beta 1&2 will be rough and ready, and only the final stage of beta will show us a fair estimation of what the game itself will be like.

*My* magic 8-ball tells me that it is by no means certain that there will be several stages of beta, what with the GMs being all excited about being able to fix anything at all totally on the fly with no downtime in the Journey truly worthy of Heroes.

Originally posted by crisisfox+Jun 14 2006, 11:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (crisisfox @ Jun 14 2006, 11:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HJ-Diviana@Jun 14 2006, 10:47 AM

And why oh why are people so scared of trade in a game?

Oh, and I assume what Mourneblade..... [/b][/quote]
The GM's were a couple of guys that have been around here recently Divana. As I said, it was not a official announcment, but it was alluded to with the comment "who needs money when you can trade Wyr". I obviously saw more into the statement than there was to it. My bad.

I've played and beta tested close to 50 MMO's and the economies almost always "tank".

That and being forced to basically spend hours and hours of time buying low and selling high(basically ripping off people) in auctions is not something I consider to be "fun".

Oh, why can't you guys spell my name right anyways? There is no "u"

I feel ya Morneblade. Nobody ever spells my name correctly either. Thay always say Dax or Daxx. Pisses me off.....---- kids....

Originally posted by Daax@Jun 14 2006, 06:35 AM

10/10 This post makes me smile!

Reading through this thread I think one major factor in limiting grinding/farming for wyr is HJ's intended focus on role-playing and the presence of game-masters on the servers.

Consider a player who spends 8 hours a day killing the evil Gnurps in the Bog of Unspeakable Stench just to get that coveted Wyr of Slime for his favourite necklace. Now, from a roleplaying point of view that is probably hard to justify and I doubt many people who prefer to enjoy their games would do so. Those gamers would probably concentrate on role-playing their characters. I remember reading that game-masters would encourage RP, so e.g. a gamemaster may grant the honour to rule a certain region for a while to a guild of avid roleplayers (with an appropriate role-played reason, of course).

In this way, the roleplayers will get the virtual fame, the farmers the virtual gold.

Or, with a slight twist: The roleplaying guilds get more "substantial" bonuses as well, e.g. in the above example they also get a certain amount of taxes from the region they control. Or an individual role-player may get his earned XP doubled for a set of time, or may get increased drop-rates for wyr. In this way you have more than one route to improve your character: Either by standing knee-deep in muck and blood for 8 hours or by roleplaying some adventures with some friends. Each to his own, I guess.

-------------
You live and you learn. At any rate, you live. (D. Adams)

I just would like to know what they plan on doing to keep the economy under control. I have yet to play a game developed by Simu, but I've played or betatested games by every major developer and a slew of minor ones, and 2 things never seem to change much.

1. Most use player driven economies (especially more recently)

2. Player driven economies are exploited and eventually collapse

I'd like to trust Simu to control the economy so that RPers and non-powergamers can enjoy perks in the game, not just the powergamers. But I have to be skeptical untill I see what they plan specifically.

Originally posted by Morneblade@Jun 15 2006, 01:45 AM
I have yet to play a game developed by Simu, but I've played or betatested games by every major developer and a slew of minor ones, and 2 things never seem to change much.

I was a long time player in one of Simu's games, and the player-run economy really wasn't all that bad in Gemstone. I mean there was certainly inflation, but my characters tended to get their best items (and to me, "best" item didn't really ever constitute "gear"...usually, unique clothing and items that in no way enhanced combat) via gifts from friends. Pretty much anything was attainable, but there were some very, very high end gear that was always rediculously expensive. :smiley:

Of course, we are talking about a small player population (comparitively speaking) in a text game. So, really....just apples and oranges there.

I wouldn't mind grinding so much if every single battle I fight is as adrenaline rushing as a life or death situation should be when involved with sharp steel weapons and pointy projectiles.

Originally posted by Morneblade@Jun 14 2006, 08:45 PM
I just would like to know what they plan on doing to keep the economy under control. I have yet to play a game developed by Simu, but I've played or betatested games by every major developer and a slew of minor ones, and 2 things never seem to change much.
First off, You're right. you haven't played a game made by Simutronics. I'll put it this way. 100,000 silver in Gemstone has nearly the same value now that it had in 1996. Perhaps even longer. Will this happen in HJ? I dont know. I'd like to think so but we'll see.

In my opinion, a barter system is actually just as easy to manipulate as a currency system. The way I see it... If a game allows players to get X or Y then those players who desire X and Y the most, and have the means & time to get them, will... get them. Those who dont desire X and Y or dont have the means or time to get them, wont.

As I see it, its just about being Unique. Some players want to have the most gold, others like to have the most friends (or enemies). Still other players want to be the first to slay the Mighty Halitosis Dragon. Someone may want to have the largest pouch full of smooth stones. *shrugs*

People are people so why should it be... that you and I get along so awful... DARN THAT SONG! Anyways, What was I saying? Oh yes... smoth stones. *drools*

Stones!?!?!?! Where???

Small ones? Big ones? Funny shaped ones?

Aw, I don't see any....

Curse you Zee! Curse you! ;)

Nice to know Gemstone's economy is extremely stable. It's terrible in WoW... And most games... But hey, if Simu can do it once, they can probably do it again.

Originally posted by HJ-Zee@Jun 15 2006, 05:21 AM
Someone may want to have the largest pouch full of smooth stones. *shrugs*

I used to have a character that would collect those stupid little stones. LOL..

There was also a fun little character I once knew who would pick those stones up and offer them to appease a certain boulder that he was convinced would destroy us all (or something to that effect). :smiley:

I really hope HJ has some of those fun little useless "Loot" items that just become part of the the game culture. Just plain fun.

Originally posted by HJ-Zee@Jun 15 2006, 05:21 AM

First off, You're right. you haven't played a game made by Simutronics. I'll put it this way. 100,000 silver in Gemstone has nearly the same value now that it had in 1996. Perhaps even longer. Will this happen in HJ? I dont know. I'd like to think so but we'll see.

Does Gemstone or DR have to deal with Gold farmers? Or huge amounts of powergamers?

Very doubtfull.

But you will have to deal with them in HJ, if it is even a modest hit. So, that should be accounted for and it's going to require some tight control. Otherwise..........

Back