Season 5 TV Guide Remnants and Others SPOILERS!

On a warm October afternoon, Jennifer Garner strides purposefully into a dilapidated warehouse in downtown Los Angeles, primed for a fight. As Alias's indefatigable spy Sydney Bristow, she routinely mops the floor with bad guys. But this foe is different.

Standing before her is National Security Council liaison Lauren Reed, played by Melissa George, and it doesn't take a CIA operative to figure out that this mission is personal. Lauren is married to Sydney's former lover Vaughn (Michael Vartan), and try as she might, Syd's having a hard time letting go. (That's what happens when you pass out, as she did in last season's dizzying finale, and wake up to discover you've been missing for two years and your CIA boyfriend, believing you were dead, moved on to someone else.) Clearly, hell hath no fury like a superspy scorned: As Lauren tries to speak, Sydney delivers a single, swift blow, knocking her rival to the floor.

Then, unexpectedly, détente. She extends a hand and helps Lauren to her feet. As the women face each other, inches apart and both breathless, the mood shifts. Suddenly, they lean in--headed, it seems, for a little Britney-Madonna action.

Cut!

Garner and George dissolve into giggles. Their near-kiss wasn't in the script, and it won't make it to your living room. No matter: The dysfunctional Syd-Vaughn-Lauren triangle is providing ABC's Alias--already one of TV's most habit-forming dramas--with a little extra juice. Love or hate the plot now, creator J.J. Abrams says, "When people see where it's going, I think it's a phase of our show that will wind up being one of their favorites."

Until then, many loyal fans seem as eager to sock it to Lauren as Sydney is. In September, George was booed at an ABC fan event, and postings on various Internet message boards call for Lauren's demise. Even George's accent has been maligned, with fans questioning how the character, the daughter of a Virginia senator, wound up sounding British. (Lauren "was born in the States but grew up in London," explains George, who shrugs off the chilly reception as par for the course when playing a character who comes between a popular couple.)

Garner, for one, unflaggingly supports her costar. Her empathy for George isn't surprising, especially considering how familiar she has become with the often-harsh glare of public scrutiny. Since her split with husband Scott Foley last spring, Garner's personal life has been closely monitored in the tabloids. Her recent romance with costar Michael Vartan has made things worse. It has been an eye-opening experience for Garner, a homebody who'd rather dote on her new puppy than hit Hollywood hot spots. "It has been an incredibly hard year," she concedes. "There are things I've done that I won't do again. That's just life. I'm trying to move forward with as much grace as I can."

The irony of her situation--a woman who plays a spy finds herself now routinely spied on--isn't lost on her. But she recognizes the trade-off that comes with her increasingly high-profile career. "Of course I don't like photographers at my house, but I wasn't ignorant when I took this role," she says. "The good so outweighs the bad."

The same can't be said for Sydney. In the November 30 episode, she discovers the severed hand of a man she may or may not have murdered during those missing two years, and the duplicitous director of the NSC blackmails her duplicitous former boss, Sloane (Ron Rifkin), into ordering a hit on her. Desperate to retrieve her memory, she enlists the aid of a neuroresearcher, played by director David Cronenberg, who has developed an experimental dream therapy designed to treat amnesiacs. Much of the surreal episode takes place in Sydney's subconscious and includes two violent showdowns with Lauren. And if that isn't enough, Garner lets slip this juicy tidbit: "At one point, I'm dreaming and I think it's reality, and I kiss Vaughn. Later, I think it's a dream but it's reality, and I kiss him again."

If you think that means Vaughn will automatically ditch the Mrs., you're dreaming. But a piece of info from Syd's dream prompts her to look up another man from her past: old buddy Will, played by Bradley Cooper, who appears in the December 7 episode. Now a Wisconsin construction foreman going by "Jonah" (thanks to Witness Protection), the formerly wimpy journalist is now a lean, mean kickboxing machine. "Will is a force," Cooper says. "He's not going to let people take advantage of him anymore."

Well, unless she's a long-unrequited crush with the initials S.B. Between spy games, Syd and Will take time out to offer each other some very friendly comfort. They also have a brutal run-in with evil ex-roomie Allison.

One popular character who'll remain MIA: Syd's mysterious mama, played by Lena Olin. Negotiations for a guest appearance fell through last month amid reports that Olin was demanding one mother of a paycheck. "I'm disappointed," Abrams says, "but hopeful we can eventually bring her back."

He admits that Olin's decision temporarily "threw us for a loop. But now I think we have a story that might be even better." The top-secret plot kicks off January 11 and includes a startling revelation about one of the show's main characters. (Rumor has it somebody is working for the enemy.) "We reveal what happened to Sydney," Abrams says, "and what it all means."

And what about a resolution to that love triangle? For now, it's classified.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh boy! :woot: I'm sweating already just thinking about it! Syd kisses Vaughn in her dream and she thinks it's real then she kisses Vaughn for real and she thinks it a dream! Syd kicks Lauren's BUTT! And that kiss blooper BETTER be on the DVD. I dunno, I really do feel very sorry for Melissa George. She took this opportunity as probably all of you would have and now she's getting extremely booed about her character. :( I mean, let's not get obsessive, shippers, Alias is still OUR show! No matter what twists and turns it makes, we should stay TRUE TO ALIAS! I dunno about you, but I'm loving Alias like I always had :smiley:

OMG, i seriously luv u Tenderbear!!

Syd Kisses Vaughn coz she thinks shes in her dream state! omg :jawdrop:

This is mad news, thank you so much for postin that!!!!

N a Lauren n Syd fight but its not in reality, damn!! n that scene should be on dvds (where they were pretendin to nearly kiss), that would be funny!

OMG - i cant read this!! no! i'm already so spoiled!!! must leave spoiler forum NOW!!!

ohh *sigh* wow. okay now that's good, that's very good. I kinda already expected to be a dream with that ambulance scene but it's good that she kisses him again! :woot:
--Mandy :angelic:

mystery_chick said:
ohh *sigh* wow. okay now that's good, that's very good. I kinda already expected to be a dream with that ambulance scene but it's good that she kisses him again! :woot:
--Mandy :angelic:
Yep, it is! im so excited to see what happens like who backs away n you know!! so what episode is this for???

shock i'm here - i've still not read the first post but i can't resist reading what madboutalias, mysyterychick and snv4ever have said!! :rolleyes:

:woot: :woot: YEAH BABY! I knew it. THEY KISS! Lauren is the bad guy, i know it. I cant wait for the Lauren/Syd fight. HAHAHA. I'm extatic. :woot:

OK... It seems too easy that Lauren would work for the enemy. Has anybody considered Dixon? We all know he has a secret.

ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I JUST READ IT! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:
Lots of S/V kissing !!!! yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot: :woot:

Yah!!!!! Let's see if in the "reality" kiss will Vaughn kiss her back? Everyone is summoned to watch closely when that happens.

Back