What have you seen recently?

1988They_Live_poster300.jpg

They Live. Another John Carpenter classic combining elements of horror, science fiction and dark comedy(case in point.......some of the scenes at the end of the film when the aliens are exposed are hilarious, 'wrong time, wrong place' scenes........ :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ).

If nothing else, after watching this film you'll never look at sunglasses again in quite the same way as before................. :D :D :eek:

This is one of those films that I recently discovered. Not sure how I made it through the 80's without seeing this, but it happened. This was a very good film, highly enjoyable.

1988They_Live_poster300.jpg

They Live. Another John Carpenter classic combining elements of horror, science fiction and dark comedy(case in point.......some of the scenes at the end of the film when the aliens are exposed are hilarious, 'wrong time, wrong place' scenes........ :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ).

If nothing else, after watching this film you'll never look at sunglasses again in quite the same way as before................. :D :D :eek:

It is a very good film well worth watching. Good entertainment, especially with the glasses on. :D :D

200px-Get_Him_to_the_Greek.jpg

GET HIM TO THE GREEK
Good stuff. Great characters and super performances from everyone involved. In particular, who would have expected that Sean 'Puffy' Combs was capable of being so incredibly funny?

200px-A_team_poster_10.jpg

THE A-TEAM
I am completely torn with this movie. I love so much of it -- The casting, the chemistry between the leads, the montage sequences showing the team making crazy stuff out of scrap, the whole vibe of an extremely competent team of experts doing their thing -- but I hated nearly every action sequence in it. This movie relies so heavily on insanely spastic shaky cam bullshit that I couldn't tell what was happening, who was beating who, etc., until after the sequence was over. There are so many very cool character moments, and I absolutely loved the 'getting the team together' bit at the beginning and I had a ton of fun watching these actors inhabit the characters. I just wish that the shaky cam 'style' of shooting action sequences for big budget films like this would go away.

ipman_poster.jpg

IP MAN
I bought this DVD on a lark impulse buy as I'm a big fan of Donnie Yen. I've loved his work since I first saw him in Iron Monkey and I think he's only getting better over the years. Ip Man is a historical period piece set in during WWII documenting the story of Ip Man, who, at the time, was the sole practitioner of the Wing Chun style of kung fu and how he and his family deal with the Japanese occupation. I was just hoping for some solid choreography and action, but this is a solid drama as well as being an awesome kung fu flick. Donnie Yen shows considerable skill in both the quiet scenes as well as the incredible kung fu sequences which were choreographed by Sammo Hung. Highly recommended.

Last actual movie watched was Holes with Shia Labouf. It was... surprisingly entertaining. Even though I am way past the age bracket it was targeted for it is still a good movie to watch for some clean fun. Besides Shia who went on to do the Transformers movies and Indiana Jones IV, Jon Voight does a great job of reminding us that he was once a capable character actor, Patricia Arquette shows that she is capable of more than just Medium, and Dule Hill from Psych and Henry Winkler round out the cast.

Kids movie? Sure. But still entertaining? Yep.

There is no age group for really good movies, no matter what age group they were made for. Good movies are good movies and good entertainment is a precious commodity.

I just saw Inception and now I am ready for the remake of Piranha, aka "Piranha 3d". The director is Aja would did The Hills Have Eyes and the movie is in 3d. I am there, FRIDAY!

220px-Scott_Pilgrim_vs._the_World_teaser.jpg

SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD
Brilliant, gorgeous, and funny movie. Captures pretty much everything I loved about the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels and more. Michael Cera is not the Scott that I pictured in my head when I read the books but I can accept him in the movie. Everyone else is absolutely spot-on, particularly Ellen Wong as Knives Chau. I especially enjoyed the visual aesthetic of the film. It evokes a comic book/video game experience more purely than anything I've ever seen on film before.

220px-Expendablesposter.jpg

THE EXPENDABLES
I had the same problem with The Expendables that I did with the A-Team movie that came out earlier this year: both movies rely far too heavily on the shaky cam technique for their action sequences. Both movies I would have enjoyed exponentially more if the filmmakers had not employed it at all. That said, I enjoyed all of the characters and the overall silliness of this movie.

JR:
I've recently been wanting to see The Expendables, but I just hit up Rottentomatoes and they gave it a 40%...their ratings are generally accurate in my book, so this scares me a little bit.

Would you recommend paying full price to see this movie? Or should I catch it on DVD instead?

JR:
I've recently been wanting to see The Expendables, but I just hit up Rottentomatoes and they gave it a 40%...their ratings are generally accurate in my book, so this scares me a little bit.

Would you recommend paying full price to see this movie? Or should I catch it on DVD instead?

I love seeing movies on the big screen so I'd say that it's worth a matinee, at least.

Back