what would be the coolest MMO game ever?

AlexM

Scout
what do you think would be the coolest massive multiplayer online game ever?
my vote goes to a ringworld based mmo.
Think about it: 3,000,000 times the surface area of earth, tons of hominids all evolved into different ecological niches and a few alien races to boot. and dont forget the protectors.
you could be an ARM investigator,
a Kzin diplomat or a puppeteer hireling
a ringworld native with a wanderlust .Theres like a dozen species of ringworld native hominids in the series, not mentioning what hasn't been in the series an MMO would have to expand on the series a little.
It should take place after ringworld engineers but before ringworlds children.
i think this is a totally kickass concept and why a game developer isnt knocking down larry nivens door is beyond me. i think a ringworld MMO would blow WoW away
whats your ideas??

I agree that Ringworld makes an ideal basis for an MMO but what about the new Stargate Worlds MMO? Wouldn't that franchise offer the same opportunity of diversity? Heck, if the developers come up with a new idea for an environment they just have to say "Here ya' go, gamers, try this gate address!" to introduce it into the existing game.

How about a Well of Souls MMO....i read the whole series and think it would be a good one also. i like the ringworld MMO idea...it could beat out WOW easily.

yeah, about a year ago i got a friend to read the first three rw books, and we were working on a dice n' paper rpg for our own amusement. turns out there was a ringworld rpg made in like 1980, i think. i once found i copy of the DM guide on ebay or something. we ended up parting ways so its not like i was gonna pitch it to larry niven or anything. Im just a huge fan of the known space books, and since we're in the Known Space universe, what about a Known Space MMO, modeled after mass effect? or a Man/Kzin wars strategy game?

Wizards of the Coast

Wizards of the Coast

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20modern

clear.gif
maroon.jpg
maroon.jpg
white.jpg
Recent News
white.jpg
white.jpg
clear_dot.gif

black_bullet2.gif
D&D 4th Edition Titles Available for Download at DriveThruRPG and RPGNow 07/09/2008
clear_dot.gif

black_bullet2.gif
Against the Giants Prerelease Update 07/03/2008
clear_dot.gif

black_bullet2.gif
Dungeon Magazine Announces New Adventure Path 06/30/2008
clear_dot.gif

black_bullet2.gif
D&D Compendium 06/24/2008
clear_dot.gif

black_bullet2.gif
Anime Expo 2008 06/22/2008
white.jpg
white.jpg
(MORE)
white.jpg
maroon.jpg
maroon.jpg
white.jpg
maroon.jpg
maroon.jpg
white.jpg
Recent Articles
white.jpg
white.jpg
clear_dot.gif

black_bullet2.gif
Adventures: Return to the Temple of the Frog 03/01/2001
clear_dot.gif

black_bullet2.gif
Elite Opponents: Variant Lodestone Marauders 01/26/2007
clear_dot.gif

black_bullet2.gif
Steal This Hook! -- Stealing the Crown Jewels 01/24/2007
clear_dot.gif

black_bullet2.gif
Bullet Points #78: Skill School 12/22/2006
clear_dot.gif

black_bullet2.gif
Bullet Points #77: Gadgets Under My Skin 12/08/2006
white.jpg
white.jpg
(MORE)
white.jpg
maroon.jpg
maroon.jpg
spacer_1_1.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
Available Now
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
Available Now
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
Available Now
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif

black_bullet2.gif
d20 Dark*Matter
clear.gif

black_bullet2.gif
d20 Cyberscape
clear.gif

black_bullet2.gif
d20 Apocalypse
clear.gif

black_bullet2.gif
d20 Past
clear.gif

black_bullet2.gif
d20 Future
clear.gif

black_bullet2.gif
d20 Weapons Locker
clear.gif

black_bullet2.gif
d20 Menace Manual
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif

I found something COOOLL ! help me to find out more!

Hi,
I've been in touch with european friends lately.
check this out, it's a new sci fi game called Aosphere. It's currently developped by the guies who did Dune the game and Outcast!
At that point it's confidential I guess.

Just help me find some news, the project is named identifiction, it's a plateform for sci fi games.
:smiley:

I think an MMO that allows a player to warp or walk through some sort of gate (think stargate style) to fight and explore the rest of the universe would be the best form of MMO.

It would explain your fellow players Human decisions and behaviour. It would represent the need to get out in the universe and explore. It should appeal to a large base of players in showing that they as normal humans can achieve adventure.

Meeting places and trading stores can be in human held territory giving a homely feel. The scope for different numbers of alien civilisations is unlimited through expansions and updates making it future proof.

I agree that Ringworld makes an ideal basis for an MMO but what about the new Stargate Worlds MMO? Wouldn't that franchise offer the same opportunity of diversity? Heck, if the developers come up with a new idea for an environment they just have to say "Here ya' go, gamers, try this gate address!" to introduce it into the existing game.

I think an MMO that allows a player to warp or walk through some sort of gate (think stargate style) to fight and explore the rest of the universe would be the best form of MMO.

It would explain your fellow players Human decisions and behaviour. It would represent the need to get out in the universe and explore. It should appeal to a large base of players in showing that they as normal humans can achieve adventure.

Meeting places and trading stores can be in human held territory giving a homely feel. The scope for different numbers of alien civilisations is unlimited through expansions and updates making it future proof.

Great minds think alike! :D

Ther eis a modification in the works for the PC game Armed Assault that is going to include gates, human forces and transport to other worlds (maps) There are mods for other games too including Battlefield2 that are touching on it, but no gates of course due to the hard coding of the games involved.

It is a shame a Stargate game isn't out now, to coincide with the two straight to video films for the SG1 franchise. They would have helped kickstart it off, although good advertising would reach all those inclined.

I'd think that any game that truly puts the word "massive" in MMO would be a bit unwieldy. If you have a universe to explore, who really cares about any one given planet or situation? Why bother really investing in one scenario, one set of characters?

Heck, I'd be happy with a truly immersive MMO that just covered this planet... or, better still, maybe an MMO that would let you travel backward or forward through time to different historical eras. So you could pop into a Western town for a shoot-em-up, and then fast forward to the year 2528 and fight aliens coming through a wormhole, then go back to the age of Robin Hood, then forward again to the mean streets of 1920s Chicago? Especially if there was some overriding story arc that tied all these eras together.

That would be cool.
PBJ_zpsf3788dd3.gif

the known space/ringworld continuity does have a 'gate' or 'portal' system. there are the terran invented, inferior Transfer Booths, and the much more advanced and long distant Stepping Discs invented by the Puppeteer race. Also, the KS universe has two types of hyperdrive: one very fast Outsider invented drive, and one insanely fast Puppeteer designed drive. my vote still goes with the Ringworld/Known Space mmo. In Fleet of Worlds the latest KS book, there is anew alien race and new human 'colonists'. The humans of the KS colony worlds vary greatly according to the gravity and environments of their homeworld
and here is a link to the wiki page for the dice n paper RW game circa 1984.

Ringworld (role-playing game) - Wikipedia

Back