Working at It

That was great...
Can't wait to see hwo Rivers reacts to Vaughn and Syd and how she fits in in general.
Thanks for the pm.
Update again soon.

Here's another chapter. I was so excited after I posted the last one. I had new readers! Thanks for responding to the fic. Hope you like the next chapter.

Working At It
Part 13 ~Unwelcome~

“New agent?” Vaughn voiced, exactly what Sydney was thinking.

Weiss had just finished introducing Rivers to Sydney and Vaughn, who were both obviously confused.

“I know,” Weiss said, “Sloane sprung it on us this morning. Right after you left actually.”

“What, is she a permanent agent now?” Sydney asked, annoyed, “Or just some doe off the Farm we’re supposed to babysit for a while?”

Weiss was a little taken aback. That wasn’t like Sydney, she would usually be the first one to welcome a new agent.

“Whoa.” Weiss said, surprised, “What’s eating you?”

Sydney didn’t answer and Vaughn quickly moved the conversation back to Rivers.

“So this is a permanent assignment for her?”

Weiss shrugged, “As far as I can tell. But we didn’t get much information, she arrived an hour later.”

Vaughn sighed running a hand through his hair. Did they really need to train a new agent? Especially with what was already going on?

“Oh,” Weiss said, “Sloane wants to see you, fill you in himself on our new addition.”

They nodded and made their way down the corridor towards Sloane’s office.

“What are they doing bringing an amateur in here?” Sydney asked angrily.

Vaughn sighed shaking his head. “I don’t know, maybe she’s good.”

“This is why I didn’t want to tell anyone.”

“What?” He asked stopping and grasping her arm as well.

“I just…” Sydney was now more distressed than angry. She seemed close to tears. Vaughn became concerned and lead her down a secluded hallway, away from any wondering eyes.

As soon as they were beyond sight and earshot Sydney broke out in tears. Vaughn took her in his arms trying to consol her. He had was slightly confused by the sudden swing in hormones, and as soon as she had calmed down, pulled back.

“Sydney, what do you mean?”

She sniffed wiping away her tears, silently thankful for waterproof mascara. “I didn’t want to tell anyone because I was afraid that after being out of the field so long,” she paused and took a deep breath, “I was afraid that I would lose my edge, and they would replace me. Now I still haven’t told anyone and they already have a new agent.”

Vaughn hugged her again, rubbing her back. “Syd, you’re one of the best agents I’ve ever worked with. There’s no way a newbie is going to replace you. Heck, you’re going to have to downright quit to get out of here.”

Sydney smiled her head still resting on his shoulder.

“You ready to go?” he asked.

She lifted her head wiping the last of the tears from her cheeks. “Yeah, just let me go to the bathroom real quick.”

~

A few minutes later they were finally on their way to Sloane’s office. He was standing by his desk speaking to Jack as they approached. Both men looked up, Sloane beckoning for them to come in.

“…I’ll brief you on it tomorrow morning.” Jack finished his sentence then exited the office glancing at Sydney, then Vaughn, as he exited.

“Good, you finally made it in.” Sloane said sitting behind his desk.

Vaughn and Sydney took the two chairs adjacent to him.

“I take it you met Ms. Rivers.” He said.

“Yes.” Sydney replied curtly.

“I just found out about this myself, Sydney.” He said, “Langley called in this morning and informed me that we would be receiving a new agent for field training.”

“Don’t you think it’s a bit strange that they’re sending an inexperienced agent into a black ops division?” Vaughn asked.

“Apparently, Agent Vaughn, what I think is irrelevant.”

Sydney and Vaughn looked at each other. Evidently Sloane wasn’t too pleased about the situation either, although he was a little better at hiding it, at least around Rivers.

“But yes, I do find it irresponsible. If she needed field experience, she should have been sent to the Rotunda. We, least of all, have time to train a new agent.” He sighed leaning back in his chair, “But as long as she’s here we need to make sure she is taken care of and trained properly.”

Sloane then leaned forward and pushed two folders across his desk. Sydney and Vaughn both took one.

“This is agent Rivers’ background. I found it quite interesting.” He said, “I thought you would too.”

Sydney took a moment scanned the top page of the report.

“Does she know about this?” Vaughn asked also reading the information.

“I was told Agent Rivers has a bland idea of how it happened, but the CIA left a few details out.”

Sydney raised an eyebrow. “A few?” She continued scanning the report, “How did she get through the Farm if the CIA knows about this?”

“The Agency concluded that she had incredible potential as an agent. They refused to just turn her away, in fact I think that’s why she ended up here.”

“Of course,” Vaughn said, “They sent her to APO so she could still be used as an agent, but now the CIA can officially deny any affiliation with her.”

Sloane nodded slowly, “I came to the same conclusion.”

Sydney looked up. “Do the others know?”

“Only Jack, but they will be informed soon. I need you to keep an eye on her, especially since I plan on sending her with you two on her first field mission.”

“Fine.” Sydney said. 'So they would be babysitting her.'

Sloane caught the tone in her answer. “She does have potential to be a good agent.” He said looking at them both, “I expect you’ll treat her as one of the team as long as she’s here.”

“Of course.” Sydney answered, sorry she had let her slight distaste for the new situation show, “She’s one of us now.”

They shouldn't be arguing especially at work, not good for the baby! What is the mystery about Rivers?
Thanks for the PM

hmmm...wonder whats going on...i feel bad for the new agent, it wouldn't take long to figure out that she wasn't wanted there. hopeful things will get better. When are Sydney and Vaughn gonna tell everyone? update ASAP, they're are too many questions! and I need answers! :D thanks for the PM

lee :happydance:

Great update.. I'd like to know what Rivers' secret is tho. Hopefully it doesn't endanger Syd, Vaughn and the baby.

Thanks for the PM

Back