2Moons: Jack Thompson's worst nightmare

Azdel

Cadet
So there's this new MMORPG coming up called 2Moons. It's supposed to be the bloodiest MMORPG ever. Even the people working on it describe it as "shameless." That said, it sounds really good, and it's going to be free. There's in-game advertising, but it can be turned off. You just get little bonuses and perks if you leave it on. Anyway, here's an interview with some guy who's working on it:

PC Games, Wikis, Cheats, Walkthroughs, News, Reviews & Videos - IGN

Enjoy!

P.S.~ Beta sign-ups are currently underway, so if anyone is interested, you can go here:

http://2moons.acclaim.com/

thats funny they say it will be bloody and all but their first screenshot is of a girl in a dress with shiney spell effects around her.

I hear this game will survive off of in-game advertising, as well? O-o

Kylie said:
thats funny they say it will be bloody and all but their first screenshot is of a girl in a dress with shiney spell effects around her.

I hear this game will survive off of in-game advertising, as well? O-o

Anarchy Online kind of does this as well. They have free accounts which subsist off of the in game advertising. Paid subscription members can turn off the ads and will see billboards that are aimed at in game companies, such as Miir Fashions.

~ Jaraeth

Kuzzle said:
Sweet. I registered, but I don't know if I was even supposed to. What with being 17, an' all... :(

It says at the top of the registration sidebar that you need to be 13. Or maybe it told me that when I clicked the invite-a-friend button, I forget.

Yeah Morne, I hate that. I can see why some people like that style of play, considering you don't have to devote much but time and button clicks.
A few games based off of Korean games are getting the full NA work over tho'. The most interesting of which to me is 9 Dragons. 2 Moons is interesting in concept, but games that like can only win me over with game play since content is usually pretty static.

I don't like Korean rpgs. They tend to have no character customization and no, I dunno, fun. Most of the time you can't even choose your class/gender combo (all rangers are girls and all wizards are bearded old men, etc). This one may be good since it's being made over for a western playerbase. I registered the day it was announced.

This game is gonna be free.. as such i dont think it matters what they do, since you have nothing to lose if you decide to actually play it.

deserttfoxx said:
This game is gonna be free.. as such i dont think it matters what they do, since you have nothing to lose if you decide to actually play it.

Precisely why I'm giving it a shot without waiting for reviews.;)

WHile I belogn in the camp of "It doesn't have to be ultra-violent to be good", I admit, I might be interested in having a look at this. Although this strip from Penny Arcade still sums up how I feel about Perry, whether he's the head of Shiny or a "game consultant":

19981223h.jpg

But it may still be worth a look.

btw, I thought Jack Thompson's worst ngihtmare was being locked in a broom closet with Adam Sessler for 3 months?

Anduril said:
WHile I belogn in the camp of "It doesn't have to be ultra-violent to be good", I admit, I might be interested in having a look at this. Although this strip from Penny Arcade still sums up how I feel about Perry, whether he's the head of Shiny or a "game consultant":

19981223h.jpg

But it may still be worth a look.

btw, I thought Jack Thompson's worst ngihtmare was being locked in a broom closet with Adam Sessler for 3 months?

I think that would be alot harder on Sessler.

Anduril said:
Hmmm, listenign to Jack Thompson's B.S. or Sessler's spaz fest? :D
I actually enjoy Sessler's spaz fests. While I don't always agree with X-PLAY's reviews, I do find it to be a pretty funny show. One simply has to have a very tolerant sense of humor when watching. It also helps to take note of the fact that they mock themselves, and not just others.

But to get back on topic, here's an important excerpt from the last article I posted here that clarifies character customization, but more importantly, it explains just how in-game advertising can actually benefit the player.

"Interestingly, as this is a free Korean-style game, the first thing we spotted was there was no system to make your own avatar, meaning you pick your class, and off you go. That seemed too simple until we saw just how varied everyone looked in the game. This is due to the massive item store that gives the gamers complete control, so if you want Giant Devil Wings, go on ahead. The engine will handle it just fine.

So, another innovative thing we are planning with advertisers is to let them purchase items for you. Say you choose the Devil Wings; we then see if an advertiser is willing to buy it for you. If so, it would offer something like "Coca Cola has offered to buy this for you", and if you accept, you get it for free. That's it! Thinking of ways to let you benefit from advertising has been a major focus."

Azdel said:
I actually enjoy Sessler's spaz fests. While I don't always agree with X-PLAY's reviews, I do find it to be a pretty funny show. One simply has to have a very tolerant sense of humor when watching. It also helps to take note of the fact that they mock themselves, and not just others.

But to get back on topic...

But to get back off topic :P ... Adam Sessler is one of the better hosts, especially when paired with the foxy Morgan Webb. (Megan from The Screen Savers was fun to watch too.) He is much better now, than he was long ago when he was hosting 'GameSpotTV' with that freaky, bouncy chick, Kate Botello.

X-Play is way too console-centric, for me, though, and I don't agree with a lot of their PC reviews. PCGamer mag is my source for good reviews.

Back