Alias in Midseason: Good or Bad thing?

Now that it is official that Alias isn't returning until 2005, what do you think about it?

• I love it! No more reruns of Alias! All new episodes in a row!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's okay... I'll miss Alias a lot this Fall and Winter though!

• I don't really like it. I'd prefer a regular season like before.

• NO! I HATE IT! I MUST HAVE ALIAS ALL SEASON LONG!

• Total voters
JJ also says he wants to brighten it up a bit after the dreary, depressing season 3

If this is the end result of the new format, then i'm all for it.Remember people we have to take into account that if this show doesn't rebound in 2005,we won't have to worry about 2006 because there won't be one.

superintelligentone said:
That thing about gaps in continuity caused by preemption and reruns?  Many TV shows air a few episodes and then throw in a rerun to allow time to catch up.  Stargate SG1, Andromeda, the various Star Trek successors did that.  It may break continuity, but it also allows fans to see episodes that they may have missed, or to enjoy again.  Are Alias fans the sort of people who only watch an episode once and not want to see it again?  Of course not.
Well, you know what? For Alias and 24 this is not the case. You can blame the fans because they do not come back to watch the reruns because they regularly tank in the ratings. That's why Fox never reruns 24 and why ABC plans on not rerunning Alias in the future. Alias should do better with a minimum of breaks, like 24.
-_-

after calming down, i think it'll work out okay :smiley: just as long as there are no more storms with the idiots on abc going to the even bigger weather idiots (which turned out to be nothing anyways!)...

That's why Fox never reruns 24

This is not true VH.Fox never re-runs 24 because the series runs in an order that can't be disrupted.You can show episode 17 of Alias one week and episode 20 the next,you can't do that with 24.This was the main reason-if you remember-that 24 was able to come out on DVD before Alias.

Fox stated-in an article i read somewhere-that since they couldn't re-run the show it enabled them to bring out the DVD's at an earlier date.I even recall the uproar many Alias fans-myself included-had when we first heard how early S1 of 24 was being released,as compared to Alias.

It's the worst idea ever presented. whoever thought of it should kick themself!!! Alias will lose all its casual audience bc they'll be like o it's not on now ill find something else to watch on sundays at 8:00c!!!! What the heck were they thinking??? Sometimes reruns are a good thing!! Every have so much to do where u really want to watch Alias live but u can't and then on the weeks with reruns u rest easy and relax bc u don't have to pay full attention or even watch it at all
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :throws darts at a pinup poster of Steve McPherson(the head of ABC):

well it is not like many "average" people like it, most viewers are either obsessed with it or not (like all of us) but as long as its not cancelled im game

superintelligentone said:
I agree. The danger is out of sight, out of mind. The casual Alias fan may find some other program on another network on 9 pm Sunday that they grow to love and prefer.
Or . . . . That new show could be Dangerous Housewives, the drama that ABC is the very highest on, and the show that they decided to put in to share the same slot with Alias.

What does this say to me? The fact that ABC put the show that it is most excited and hopeful about in the the same slot with Alias tells me that they are hoping to nail down the slot and :eek: , what, maybe even--can it be possible?--grow viewership so that Alias will have a great spot to walk into? Sure, maybe DH won't work out the way ABC plans--it wouldn't be the first time--but this is the show that ABC thinks it has the greatest chance of success with. And the fact that they're pairing it with Alias tells me that they are supporting both series, not abandoning them. It's similar to their strategy with NYPD Blue. They didn't run reruns with it the past few years because they didn't do well--but they did support it with first-run series--even if those series weren't strong ones. And Alias is getting one that ABC thinks is very strong.

So it's not as if they were dumping their sludge in front of Alias at the beginning of the season. Anyway, that's what I had to say. You know, I realize that the network's decisions haven't all been great, and I would have preferred that they had given the series a 10/9 slot initially, but they are not investing millions planning Alias' demise. And I think it's sad to see so many people getting angry and concentrating on the negative.

The "casual viewer" is just that. Casual. They'll be just as likely to pick it up again as drop it. "Oh, Alias is back again? Cool. Jennifer Garner's a movie star." Why keep on watching Criminal Intent? You can pick that up any time, in reruns.
-_-

verdantheart said:
What does this say to me? The fact that ABC put the show that it is most excited and hopeful about in the the same slot with Alias tells me that they are hoping to nail down the slot and  :eek: , what, maybe even--can it be possible?--grow viewership so that Alias will have a great spot to walk into? Sure, maybe DH won't work out the way ABC plans--it wouldn't be the first time--but this is the show that ABC thinks it has the greatest chance of success with. And the fact that they're pairing it with Alias tells me that they are supporting both series, not abandoning them.
I never thought of it like that... leave it to you VH to put it into perspective. I have read in the past that ABC stands behind Alias... In fact the network president had said she loves the show (I don't know if it's the same one anymore). ;)

Okay, I am no longer concerned about the change of date. 24 (my favourite show) - which won best drama at the last Golden Globes - has also been moved to commence mid-season. If the Golden Globe winner has been moved to this time, surely it is not a bad thing!

Natalia said:
Okay, I am no longer concerned about the change of date. 24 (my favourite show) - which won best drama at the last Golden Globes - has also been moved to commence mid-season. If the Golden Globe winner has been moved to this time, surely it is not a bad thing!
Well, that is a little different because Fox runs the World Series and they sort of have to schedule 24 to start after that, which works out fairly well because it means that it runs with relatively few interruptions (good for a thriller-type) show. But I wouldn't be surprised if ABC looked at this model and thought that because of the continuing arc and logistical difficulties of production, it might not be a bad idea to follow their model.
;) ✌️

Well, I guess once it starts, it will feel better. It's just the wait that kills.

It's like me saying to the show: "See you later Alias"

and it replying:"Not if I see you first, love."

LOL I'm nuts

I'm a little puzzled by the talk of reruns. I honestly don't remember Alias having much in the way of reruns. Maybe a block in season 2. Many times this season it was pre-empted by (or scared off in competition with) an award event in which JG and/or another cast member was appearing. At least these forums kept buzzing.

Anyone watch the "Angel" finale? It was a little open ended considering it was closing out a fairly long running show, but the emotion was there. There were some very powerful performances which would have rang true even if it had only been just another episode. I can only hope that Alias can bring it to that level some day, but with so much cheap, short-term, twist-worthy betrayal every week it's a little hard to believe the characters effectively projecting so much concern over each other's existence anymore. By January they have to figure out how to put in depth and some STABLE relationships away from the whole spy scene. The cast, particularly JG, is too constricted.

I like the "24" format as I liked the "Wiseguy" format (yes, I'm that old). The season finale ends the story arc. Start fresh, start new, end decisively, if only in the spy part of it.

I'm just happy it's coming back. Like I said in a previous post, with the ratings it gets, it could have been cancelled. And if consistantly showing episodes, instead of 1 on & 2 off, 3 on & 3 off, helps with getting more people to watch the show, I'm all for it. Because let's think about it, if the ratings don't go up from where they've been, season 4 could be the last one. If it helps, I'm all for it. Plus this way, I can watch Sunday Night Football now on ESPN!!

My theory:

If the Alias' ratings stay about the same, the future of our show could go four different ways (I'm talking Season 5 here):

1. Secure - all of ABC's newly introduced dramas fail and ABC has no choice but to keep Alias in the mix
Likely this will fly: 15%

2. Looking Bright - ABC remains on the grounds it is on now with enough success to carry it through the '05-'06 season, but still not enough to kill off such a loyal-fan-based, critically acclaimed show, that is if they're smart (and we all know they haven't been in the past...)
Likely this Will Fly: 30%

3. Uncertain - Alias has another hit-or-miss season, and ABC can get along without it even if it wouldn't be their best choice (again, ABC often doesn't make the best choices...)
Likely this Will Fly: 30%

4. Looking Dim - ABC has at least three new successful shows and may not have the room for Alias any longer
Likely this will fly: 20%

5. Certain Death - "Desperate Housewives" becomes a national hit, gets a full-season order and Alias can't find a place in the schedule
Likely this will fly: 5%

I think that Alias in midseason in a great idea for a few reasons:

1. Viewers can build much easier - If a person watches the show one week and likes it, they'll have an easy time finding it again by just tuning in same time, same place next week. Soon, they'll be hooked and maybe even constantly and obsessively posting his/her thoughts online (yeah, like anyone does that!).

2. Faithful viewers don't have to wait - Alias has this annoying, yet exhilerating, tendency to end with a cliffhanger that kills a faithful fan while waiting for the next episode. Now, almost always a maximum wait of a week (not three... *cough*)!

3. ABC can spend the fall advertising for the premiere during their new-found-hit show (I know it'll happen, don't worry ABC) and ratings can build even more!

4. When January finally comes around, my prediction will be that ABC will be in a ratings bubble. Alias will be refreshing to the network, having a stable, decent-rated show on their schedule. They'll realize how much they took the show for granted and sign it to a 5 more seaoson contract! (okay, wishful thinking there, but hey, think "Drew Carey Show")

I'll follow up based on the ratings of the finale. All percents are my best estimations based on ABC's tendencies of programming, history of dealing with shows, and treatment of other cult-hit phenomenons.

Back