All You Need is One

Sydney, the reason you're not over Michael is because your heart doesn't want to be. Stop listing to your head and listen to your heart...before it's too late and Michael finds someone else.

Chris

-_- Goooood job, Syd. You're a jenius. (Yes, lol. I do know that's spelled wrong.)

*exchanges hard hats* Mmk, I'm ready for another chapter of angst. Wonderful job!

Sydney should admit that she will never be over Vaughn and call him to tell him how she misses him because this situation can't go on like that forever!! Please Janet bring back the fluff :(

oh but angst is fun :P

Chapter 40

“Syyyyd! My mom needs to know if you’re coming to my graduation party!” Jess called to Sydney through their adjoining bathroom. The two girls were in their respective rooms packing up the last of their belongings before graduation.

“Um…,” Sydney hesitated as she walked through the bathroom towards Jess’s room. “Is your brother going to be there?”

Jess groaned and rolled her eyes slightly. “No, Mr. Jerk-face is too busy with his precious law school to make an appearance.”

“Oh, okay, I’m coming then,” Sydney told her with a smile. Jess muttered something that sounded suspiciously like ‘of course you are’ under her breath, but Sydney chose to ignore it.

Even though her final year of school had been long and hard, Sydney was surprised when the end came so quickly. After her disastrous date with Zach, Sydney decided it was best to stay far away from the dating world, at least for the remainder of that semester anyway. Besides, in the evenings she was usually too exhausted to think about anything but watching some TV before going to bed early, knowing she had to be up at six a.m. the next morning wide awake and chipper enough to deal with out of control five-year-olds. On the weekends she was usually catching up on her sleep, as well as working on her paper and portfolio that were due the last day of the semester, so her life at that point wasn’t exactly conducive to dating.

Over Thanksgiving break, Sydney steered clear of the Vaughn residence, knowing that Michael had come home to celebrate his birthday slash Thanksgiving with them. Avoiding the Vaughn’s for two days over Thanksgiving was simple; however, Sydney was concerned about avoiding them over her month-long Christmas break. She’d already been away from the Vaughn’s house for almost six months; she didn’t want it to go any longer and yet, at the same time, she wasn’t quite ready to face Michael yet and she knew she wasn’t ready to have an awkward conversation with him where they’d talk about their lives and, possibly, new significant others.

Luckily for Sydney, Michael didn’t come home over Christmas break, at least, not for an extended period of time. Via Jess, Sydney discovered Michael had been home for Christmas Eve and Christmas day but returned to Philadelphia the day after since he had a four week internship at a law firm in between semesters at Penn. Also through Jess, Sydney got the idea that Michael was enjoying law school, however difficult it was. This made Sydney happy; she definitely wanted him to succeed even if she wasn’t there to congratulate him in person.

January brought Sydney and Jess’s final semester at Penn State. Sydney was busy taking last minute classes, in addition to preparing herself to take her teaching license exam. While she was spending her days in the library, Jess was spending her days having panic attacks about being chucked into the ‘real world’. Apparently, over Christmas she had decided that her chosen major of communications was not the one she actually wanted. Naturally, her parents had yelled at her telling her it was far too late to do anything about that then, but still, she complained. Sydney assisted her parents by telling Jess that with communications she could do almost anything she wanted, especially working at a television station with the hot sports casters (as Jess put it) like she wanted to. This did not ease Jess’s trepidation, but there was nothing anyone could do about it.

By the time May arrived, it felt like it had been only yesterday that they’d started college as immature, jaded freshmen. Sydney had received news that she’d passed her teacher’s license exam the previous week and was ecstatic about it, especially since she had a job lined up. Over Christmas, to distract herself from the spending the holiday alone (especially New Year’s blues), she’d taken a job at a local private school, which was desperate for some extra help since their kindergarten teacher had taken early maternity leave due to her need for bed rest. Sydney took over and loved the time she spent there.

Over her spring break, the school, which was about twenty minutes away from her father’s house, invited her in for an interview and offered her the kindergarten teacher position for the fall since the woman who’d been put on bed-rest decided not to return, but to stay at home with her new baby. Sydney was ecstatic and accepted the position immediately.

While she was glad to have a job lined up and glad she was not faced with the ‘oh my god, I don’t have a job!’ panic like Jess, Sam and Cara were, accepting such a job came with problems. Her job did not start until September (well, mid-August), but she wouldn’t be paid until September, which left almost four months without any income. Her father assured her that living with him until September would be no problem at all, but while Sydney appreciated his gesture, she felt it was imperative to move out of his house (away from his overprotective attitude) and be on her own. This, however, posed a dilemma.

She had already agreed to continue working as a lifeguard for that summer, or, at least, for part of the summer. The problem was that her life guarding salary wasn’t nearly enough for her to live on her own and pay rent and buy her own food. She had some savings, but using them would barely be enough to cover the rent and, by August, she would be broke. Her father offered up the rent as a graduation present, but Sydney refused saying he was already giving her a car (albeit his used car since he was buying a new one, but a car nonetheless). As a solution, her father offered to give her the rent, but as a loan that she could pay back with her first few paychecks in the fall. This, Sydney agreed to and everything was set.

Though Sydney was not excited about the prospect of attending her graduation, knowing how painfully boring Michael’s had been the previous year, she knew she’d just have to grin and bear it. Her father drove up to attend it with her and he sat with the Vaughn’s during the ceremonies. As it turned out, Sydney was actually interested in one of the speakers, so the ceremonies were not nearly as boring as they had been the previous year.

Only two short days after returning home from graduating, Sydney was moving into her new apartment. She loved her apartment; it was exactly what she’d always wanted in an apartment. True, it was a bit smaller than she’d hoped, but for her just starting out in her new life with a career as a kindergarten teacher, it was perfect. Jess helped her with the packing and unpacking process in exchange for Sydney promising to help her with her job search. Jess even spent the night with Sydney. They ate popcorn and watched movies until one a.m. in honor of the many sleepovers they’d had during their younger, teen years. All in all, it was perfect and Sydney loved it.

A YEAR. Once again. You are evil :lol:
She can teach in Phjiladelphia and they can be back together. Or do you plan on waiting few years and put his child to her class :P

Dang! A entire year has gone by! :( Looks like Syd & Vaughn won't be meeting up anytime soon. But this is a Syd&Vaughn story, so it will happen... eventually! LOL You are killing me Janet though!

Even though this chapter was only half as interesting as the others :angelic: (no offense), it's nice to see/read how life is moving on for all of them!

Now Sydney lives alone and probably she's sooner or later feel lonely. Hopefully then she'll realise that what she needs (or I should rather say) whom she needs is Michael Vaughn back in her life :lol:

Loved it!!!!! :hug: cookie

ETA 'cause:

oh dude that would be AWESOME
*runs off to rewrite fluffy ending*

:P

Are you craaaaazzzzyyy???????????????????? :blink: Nooonononono, don't do that!!!!!!!! They need their own kids... only SV 👶 or I'll :Ph34r:

omgosh....seriously.....if she can't get over him there's a reason for it! grrrrrr why anyone would give up michael is beyond me! can't wait for more! this is so cute I can't wait until you get Michael and Syd back together....right??? *wink wink nudge nudge*

Ok so Syd has manged to avoid Vaughn for an entire year?!?!?!
You know if you have to avoid him, that just means that you still want him
and she needs to realize this and rectify the situation...
I can't believe Vaughn didn't show up for Jess' and Syd's graduation...

omg a year??!!!
cant believe theyve avoided each other for so long
hope they get back together soon
or at least see each other soon!!!
cant wait for more!!

i cant believe that they were able to avoid each other for so long...it cant last much longer...they really need to get back together

Yeah wouldn't it be funny if like 5 years on Sydney needs a divorce from some guy and she hires Vaughn as her lawyer and thats how they end up getting back together :smiley:

Back