Politics Animal rights

Bah...I'm so pissed. I wrote an e-mail and my head isn't functioning b/c I keep throwing up and I'm going crazy :o_O:

Here's what I wrote:

To the Honorable Nelson Kile and the Honorable David Holosivi,

I have recently become aware that local fishermen have been rounding up
animals by the dozen, which a foreign business group is rumoured to be
collecting and training for shipment overseas. A spokesperson for the
Solomon Islands Civil Society Group has confirmed the number now stands at
around 200 - the largest ever capture and a fifth of the total number of
dolphins currently kept in captivity worldwide.

According to local media reports, fisherman have been taking the dolphins
from the water and holding them in small sea cages on the island of Gela,
off the capital, Honiara. Many of those captured must travel for hours by
open boat before reaching these cages; journeys that are excruciating for a
water-borne creature, as its internal organs are slowly crushed by its
immense weight.

You need to do something to stop this nonsense. Stop the captures
IMMEDIATELY and release the survivors into the wild.

Sincerely, Courtney

They wrote back:

Good try. Now shut up and mind your own business.

I wrote back and am waiting for a response:

Good try? That's all you have to say? That's pathetic. You cannot claim that you
honestly don't care about what you're doing. I'm not the one that needs to try,
YOU are.

KikiCourt said:
Bah...I'm so pissed. I wrote an e-mail and my head isn't functioning b/c I keep throwing up and I'm going crazy :o_O:

Here's what I wrote:

To the Honorable Nelson Kile and the Honorable David Holosivi,

I have recently become aware that local fishermen have been rounding up
animals by the dozen, which a foreign business group is rumoured to be
collecting and training for shipment overseas. A spokesperson for the
Solomon Islands Civil Society Group has confirmed the number now stands at
around 200 - the largest ever capture and a fifth of the total number of
dolphins currently kept in captivity worldwide.

According to local media reports, fisherman have been taking the dolphins
from the water and holding them in small sea cages on the island of Gela,
off the capital, Honiara. Many of those captured must travel for hours by
open boat before reaching these cages; journeys that are excruciating for a
water-borne creature, as its internal organs are slowly crushed by its
immense weight.

You need to do something to stop this nonsense. Stop the captures
IMMEDIATELY and release the survivors into the wild.

Sincerely, Courtney

They wrote back:

Good try. Now shut up and mind your own business.

I wrote back and am waiting for a response:

Good try? That's all you have to say? That's pathetic. You cannot claim that you
honestly don't care about what you're doing. I'm not the one that needs to try,
YOU are.
Oh. My. God.

i'm like :madfire: right now. these are some other people who i hope burn in hell. along with that joyce bey-otch. :banghead:

is this through e-mail? If it is, I want the adress, because I'd like to give these people a little piece of my mind as well. :argue: :cuss: :hmm: :o_O:

They finally wrote back and I'm fuming :wtf:

If have nothing to say, say nothing. We do not need anything from you. Who
are you anyway? You can say what you want or think what you wish.

We honestly do not think you are doing something good by involving in this
propaganda. We have received the same letter you sent us hundreds of times
already from other people. What are you all trying to do?

Solomon Islands does not unnecessarily kill dolphins (or any other marine
mammals)like what fishing fleets belonging to rich countries like US, Japan
and Europe are doing every year. Traditionally, Solomon Islanders use
dolphins too but this is purposely for our survival. If the Japanese can use
and benefit from whale, how about poor Solomon Islanders? Are we not allowed
to benefit from our dolphin resource?

Many times, you activists do not make sense. This is evident from your
message which frankly implies Solomon Islanders are inhuman and that our
actions will beyond doubt deplete the dolphin population of the world.This
is not true.

You have a responsibility to your other activists and you are doing what is
expected of you quite well i.e. spreading information about Solomon
Islands. We have a responsibility for both our people and their resources
and we cannot neglect both. The people must benefit and the resource must be
protected from exploitation.

Good Try! Now go the hell away!

I wrote back:
When did I ever say I had nothing to say? That's certainly not the case, because
I do. "The people must benefit and the resource must be
protected from exploitation."-as quoted by you. Is that all that matters? If you
haven't noticed, the human race is a cruel one, and a cold-hearted one at that.
My name is Courtney and I'm a marine biologist as well as animal-rights
activist. I'm not trying to start a fight here, as I can see your points which
evidently differ from my own. You are a company which kills dolphins, that is
not false. I am simply getting this information from PETA, I have no way of
knowing what is false and what is not. I can also see however, how you are
trying to help the people. That is where we take different paths. What we're
trying to do is stop you from killing dolphins, but I can see that you will
refuse. Thanks for your time, I just wanted to see if there was a humane part of
your heart. I was wrong.

BAH I AM SO PISSED!!!!!!! The address is : sbfish@ffa.int

The people and I worked it out :smiley:

Courtney,

Good to hear from you again. Boy, you're quick about it too!

So PETA is providing you all those information. Where is PETA getting the
information in the first place. Certainly not from the Department of
Fisheries and Marine Resources (SI Government)!

First things first Courtney. We are not a company and we do not kill
dolphins. We are the Department of Fisheries and Marine Resources, a
government organisation of the sovereign State of Solomon Islands. This
Department is never and will never be mandated to kill any dolphins for no
reason at all. Do you think Solomon Islands' government would encourage the
unnecessary killing of dolphins? No. Do you think the government would be
happy to see the dolphin population in our country overexploited and
depleted? No.

Courney, you seem to value too much a dolphin life, even more than that of a
human. I don't blame you. Solomon Islanders (especially those who have been

using the resource for decades) view dolphin as a resource to sustain their
livelihood. There is nothing cruel in this view. In fact, human lives are
saved through his resource. This Department understands well this situation
and Solomon Islanders should be thankful to the "Creator" for the gift of
the dolphin resource.

Courney, there is no reason to argue unneessarily over this issue. Being a
learned biologists, I would not stand a chance against you if we have to
continue the arguement. However, next time, do not accuse us false by
labeling us aa a company that murder (kills) dolphin.

The Department of Fisheries will just be too happy to assist you with regard
to information on what is currently happening with dolphins here in SI so
that you will have no doubt about whether informations you are receiving are
true. This Department would advice that next time, try to get a balanced
view - from activist organisations (NGO), company and government. This

Department is certainly in the position to provide information on the truth
about the situation if requested.

Please remember, the Department of Fisheries' view has been presented here.
The Department is government and not an individual. The writer is but a part
of the team.

Please help us help others understand our situation.

Thanks.

Alright, I think I understand now :smiley:
That's all I wanted, to at least try to see eye to eye. I'm sorry I accused you,
the information was presented to me as truth. Thanks for your time, I appreciate
it as normally no one responds to my letters! I will also let them know it was
false.
Have a great week.

i'm glad you worked it out with them, but they did tell you to go to hell, and used cruel language with you numerous times, which is unexcusable. -_- they should wait until both sides of the story are heard by both sets of ears to use such unnecessary language. :angry:

Mass seal hunt sparks outrage
Monday, April 12, 2004 Posted: 10:43 AM EDT (1443 GMT)

Many countries have banned Canadian seal products.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Seal hunt

Canada

Newfoundland (Canada)

Labrador (Canada)

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

ST. JOHN'S, Newfoundland -- Canada is once again at the center of an environmental row as it begins the largest seal hunt in more than half a century.

The federal government has given fishermen permission to kill hundreds of thousands of harp seals beginning Monday off the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Up until the end of May, fishermen are expected to kill about 350,000 seals -- making it the largest single cull in more than 50 years.

The Canadian seal cull almost died out amid international outrage 25 years ago.

Ottawa has since banned the killing of baby seals. Hunters must now wait until pups are at least 12 days old, when they have been weaned and begin to shed their white coats.

However, the hunt has been growing steadily in size over the past six years. While many countries have banned the importation of seal products, the Canadian industry brought in about $15 million last year.

The federal government maintains that harp seals are not an endangered species. In fact, Ottawa says Atlantic seals -- which number more than five million -- are responsible for the depletion of cod stocks.

Advocates claim the seal hunt is vital to the local economy, which needs to counterbalance the declining cod fishing industry.

Still, this year's cull is drawing criticism from animal rights activists around the world.

The International Fund for Animal Welfare is critical of the way many of the seals are killed. It says some sealers use a primitive weapon with a metal spike on the end of a wooden pole.

The Humane Society of the United States took out a full-page ad in The New York Times criticizing the hunt.

The ad -- under the heading "O Canada. How could you ... again?" -- says the country "still permits the clubbing of baby seals."

John Efford, Canada's minister of natural resources, responded by saying the advertisement is incorrect to suggest the hunters are killing baby seals.

"It's not misleading, it's absolutely wrong," he told the Globe and Mail, a national Canadian newspaper.

"It can't be any more wrong to say we're killing baby seals when we're not."

But absent for this year's protest are the likes of French actress and animal rights activist Brigitte Bardot, who in the 1970s famously flew to the Canadian ice floes to stand between the seals and their hunters.

Greenpeace, which was at the forefront of the anti-seal hunt campaign, has decided not to take part this time in order to focus on other concerns -- such as climate change and genetically-modified foods.

this makes me sick

im definitely FOR animal rights, but only in America where life is too good, people care about animal rights. im just saying, no need to get your undies in a bunch over this issue, there are FAR more important things out there to work for than animal rights (aka human rights).

this makes me sick

Excussssse me, but I'm a Canadian and I support this 100%!
You have no idea how people live up here and fishing and farming are two major sources of income for a good bunch of people here. If they don't kill the seals than there will be a shortage of fish meaning that the fishermen wont get a lot of income.
These fishermen need to put food on the table for their families, pay mortgage/rent and they also are a major source for our economy.
Do you think they kill them for fun? Hell no!
I'm sorry that you don't agree with the way we do things up here to survive, but it's none of your business.

im definitely FOR animal rights, but only in America where life is too good, people care about animal rights. im just saying, no need to get your undies in a bunch over this issue, there are FAR more important things out there to work for than animal rights (aka human rights).

I AGREE! Only 8% of people in the world don't live in destitute and were supposed to get a rats a*s about animals?! The West is so God damn selfish and needs to take its head out of it’s a*s and look around.
I believe it’s a lot more important to put a stop to mass starvation in Africa (among other places) than to stop circuses from putting polar bears on tricycles and fishermen from killing seals.
I think the main issue with PETA and other animals rights people is that they’ve never suffered. They’ve always had food, water and shelter and take it for granted. Selfish morons!

~~Spongy!

while i'm not so emotional on the issue, and i wouldn't say the entire West is selfish per say, there are more important things than animal rights. i mean i don't love animal testing. but if testing medicines and research on lab rats can save future human lives, i gotta say humans are more important than animals. and as for the clubbing of baby seals. while sad, i see Spongy's point. people have to make a living.

SpongeBobSquarePants said:
this makes me sick

Excussssse me, but I'm a Canadian and I support this 100%!
You have no idea how people live up here and fishing and farming are two major sources of income for a good bunch of people here. If they don't kill the seals than there will be a shortage of fish meaning that the fishermen wont get a lot of income.
These fishermen need to put food on the table for their families, pay mortgage/rent and they also are a major source for our economy.
Do you think they kill them for fun? Hell no!
I'm sorry that you don't agree with the way we do things up here to survive, but it's none of your business.

I AGREE! Only 8% of people in the world don't live in destitute and were supposed to get a rats a*s about animals?! The West is so God damn selfish and needs to take its head out of it’s a*s and look around.
I believe it’s a lot more important to put a stop to mass starvation in Africa (among other places) than to stop circuses from putting polar bears on tricycles and fishermen from killing seals.
I think the main issue with PETA and other animals rights people is that they’ve never suffered. They’ve always had food, water and shelter and take it for granted. Selfish morons!

~~Spongy!
Well that's a little harsh :confused:

Did you know that Hitler refered to the Jews as "vermin"? They were just animals to him. So he slaughtered them. So does that make it right, because they were "animals"?

And technically, humans are animals.

Well that's a little harsh

Did you know that Hitler refered to the Jews as "vermin"? They were just animals to him. So he slaughtered them. So does that make it right, because they were "animals"?

For you to compare Jews to animals is both offensive and ignorant.
Animals are here to serve men (humans). If they weren't than why do humans have the intelligence to out-smart them?
And just to spite off vegetarians and animals activists, for every animals you don't eat I'll eat 3 :P

And you want to talk about humans being "animals", well here is some info on the animal kingdom. Animals EAT and KILL other animals.
So I'm just playing my part in "the circle of life" ;)

~~Spongy!

Animals are here to serve men (humans). If they weren't than why do humans have the intelligence to out-smart them?
And just to spite off vegetarians and animals activists, for every animals you don't eat I'll eat 3 :P

And you want to talk about humans being "animals", well here is some info on the animal kingdom. Animals EAT and KILL other animals.

~~Spongy!
:confused: I'm not comparing them to animals. I'm saying that Hitler did.

And you call me ignorant? Then how do you explain this comment? "Animals are here to serve men (humans)." That's not how the world works hun, hate to break it to you. Humans aren't the center of the universe.

:blink: If humans are so very important, and animals are here to serve us, why were some animals around before humans were? Were they just preparing to become our servants?

As for the seals being killed... I can understand that. It's the same thing with deer... humans messed up the natural balance of things, so now we have to try to rectify that intrusion. The thing with the seals is... if humans didn't fish, there wouldn't be a problem with the cod fish population. So in turn, so that the fish population problem can be dealt with, the seals must go. It sucks... but that's what happens. Wolves were eating livestock, so humans had to get rid of them too.

As the world human population increases, all other animals' populations must decline.

I think the native americans did things the best. They relied on animals (such as buffalo) for so much... including food... but they respected animals. They followed the buffalo migration- they didn't try to domesticate the animal. And then they used every part of the buffalo, down to the bones. Of course, then non native americans came in and wiped out the buffalo. Funny how that is, considering how long the native americans went without making the buffalo extinct. :mellow:

SiriCerasi said:

~~Spongy!

And you call me ignorant? Then how do you explain this comment? "Animals are here to serve men (humans)." That's not how the world works hun, hate to break it to you. Humans aren't the center of the universe.
If humans are so very important, and animals are here to serve us, why were some animals around before humans were? Were they just preparing to become our servants?

Maybe they were.

Oh, you didn't compare them to animals?
l
l
l
V

I rest my case on that argument.

So I guess you don't consider yourself to be part of this world than? Humans aren't the center of the universe. When you turn on the news do you hear about the chickens that got slaughtered today for KFC or a human who got murdered? Give me a break.
Maybe in your world of PETA we should consider animals to be our equals, but in the REAL world that isn't how it is, hun!
We kill animals, we eat animals, we wear animals and we use animals for chores. So until the "animals" can outsmart us we are the center of the universe.

If you don’t want to eat/wear/kill animals or use any medications, since medicine is tested on animals, than you know what? Don’t! Simple as that, but leave those who chose to alone and quit bit*hing about how we should all be forced to live by your standards or morality.

Actually, for the most part, I think PETA is kinda crazy. I mean... they want to release all zoo animals out in the wild. If they know anything at ALL about zoo animals and how they've been raised, they've gotta know that that just isn't possible. Plus, they think horseracing is cruel. When it's not... I mean, it can be, but everything can be cruel. :mellow:

Testing cosmetics on lab animals, on the other hand, is completely unnecessary.

Back