Sci-Fi Annihilation (2018)

Tom

An Old Friend
Annihilation (2018)

R| 1h 55min |Adventure, Drama, Fantasy|23 February 2018 (USA)

A biologist's husband disappears. She puts her name forward for an expedition into an environmental disaster zone, but does not find what she's expecting. The expedition team is made up of the biologist, an anthropologist, a psychologist, a surveyor, and a linguist.

Stars:
Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tessa Thompson

I've been waiting for this to hit the local theater, been on my "Must Watch List" for quite some time.
My kind of creature feature!

This film was based on the first book in the "Southern Reach" trilogy. ~ IMdb Trivia

Tom

An Old Friend
Well, that was certainly interesting and pretty, not Avatar pretty but not bad.
Not sure if you can classify it as a science fiction movie?
The creatures are cool looking but not the focus so its not a creature feature either.
I guess I'll call it a mind trip fantasy movie for now.
I know, I gotta watch it again a few times...
... Implied Aliens? ...

Jethro

Staff member
Just watching it now Tom, surprisingly dropped overnight on Netflix.

Quite sometime since I've seen pretty much an all female cast. Engrossing, and agreed excellent visuals.

Wondering if we can cover it as a dark genre flick? Has some beasties and some themes.

Insert your own comment about Trump's Americana.

Jethro

Staff member
"Something's come through the fence", yeah Tom watching the movie again and am at the bear with a difference scene. :tinfoilhat:

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
"Something's come through the fence", yeah Tom watching the movie again and am at the bear with a difference scene. :tinfoilhat:
OK, now you guys have me curious! I just added it to my streaming queue, maybe Monday or Tuesday I'll get a chance to watch it.

Tom

An Old Friend
Watched it again last night.
Noticed a few more inconsistencies.
Paused it a few times to get a better look at the creatures, not really any 'new' designs.

Expecting the events changed my wonder and amazement more severely than I anticipated.
I find that my initial excitement is lowered because I understand what I was watching a bit better.
It doesn't hold up to scrutiny well.

The concept is still very interesting and I still love the idea of such a unique alien lifeform.
I just wish they would have made it weirder.
I put that in a spoiler because some may not have watched it yet.
But, In the very beginning of the film (and in the trailer above) it shows a meteorite hitting the lighthouse.

Untitled.jpg

Top Bottom