Art and Ingame Graphics : Weapon/Armor Realism

Should armor and weapons be realistic?

• Yes, Big weapons should behave like big weapons, and skimpy armor should be useless

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • No, Fantasy is fantasy. If someone wants to swing a big sword, give them the option to do so.

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Its good either way, but i prefer realism.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Its good either way, but i prefer Fantasy, anything goes.

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
Jaxtron said:
How would you eliminate the clipping of a large weapon?

I have no clue actually. But i wasn't thinking of oversized weapons. For realistic weapons that are to scale if you consider that Hero Engine/ Hero Blade is a brand new, built from the groud up graphics engine incorporating its own technology; my suggestion is that maybe they've found a way to deal with the clipping issue. Like dying with half you body going through a rock or side of a building, tree etc.

You're thinking its unavoidable due to the fact that its in every game we've ever played. But those games were developed with the current engines. This one is brand spankin' new altogether. HJ will not be liscensing any of the other current game engines that we're used to seeing. See?

Thaos Nightwind said:
I have no clue actually. But i wasn't thinking of oversized weapons. For realistic weapons that are to scale if you consider that Hero Engine/ Hero Blade is a brand new, built from the groud up graphics engine incorporating its own technology; my suggestion is that maybe they've found a way to deal with the clipping issue. Like dying with half you body going through a rock or side of a building, tree etc.

You're thinking its unavoidable due to the fact that its in every game we've ever played. But those games were developed with the current engines. This one is brand spankin' new altogether. HJ will not be liscensing any of the other current game engines that we're used to seeing. See?

I agree, this being a new engine, built strictly for this type of game, I hope they have a way of dealing with clipping issues. Knowing how it is handled in all the other games (or not handled actually) I would think when they started designing the engine, this would be something that was in the plans.

At this point, as has been pointed out, since we don't know how this will be handled (well, if someone does they aren't telling us) we just wait and see.

From the look of some of the screenshots I really think Simu is leaning more toward realistic sized weapons. But I think size might be the only part realistic about them. So yall can still have your magically jeweled super spiked swords and whatever but just a reasonable size.

From the look of every screenshot, everything seems to be reasonably sized as Daax stated. The one thing I do enjoy is how different the weapons look. They do have the generic sword, shield, bow, but past that it looks like they are going to have some very unique weapon combinations. Look at some of the mobs, they look horrific with their claws, huge axe's, blunts, etc, and really would bring an atmosphere of fight for your life.

Jaxtron said:
I agree, this being a new engine, built strictly for this type of game, I hope they have a way of dealing with clipping issues. Knowing how it is handled in all the other games (or not handled actually) I would think when they started designing the engine, this would be something that was in the plans.

At this point, as has been pointed out, since we don't know how this will be handled (well, if someone does they aren't telling us) we just wait and see.
Not specifically in response to your post, but it was the last one that mentioned clipping/collision detection. I was going through the old Q&As and found this:
MMORPG.com
[Jon Wood]:

How will your collision detection will work. Will players, for example, "just walk through each other like ghosts?"​
Eric Slick:
We want to have enough collision detection that you won’t see visually odd things such as creatures or players walking through trees or other objects they clearly shouldn’t. However, it’s technically impossible to eliminate all visual oddities because games require imprecise collision detection. This includes players colliding with other players. Even if we have it, it won’t be visually precise in any case so in the end, gameplay (including abuses such as someone blocking a door to a key merchant) will dictate how colliding with other players will be handled.​
I would say thats a pretty definitive answer about the engine capabilities.

I'm tired of seeing over exagerated weapon. At some point it just gets stupid. Even though I may enjoy anime, when I'm role playing I prefer to feel that physics is still a fundamental part of the world unless overcome by some magical force or epic heroic ability.
That being said, I still want a huge amount of design and art involved in the weapons and armor. This is still fantasy, and everything should look very cool. But don't throw the laws of physics out the window with such reckless abandonment.

Oxlar said:
I'm tired of seeing over exagerated weapon. At some point it just gets stupid. Even though I may enjoy anime, when I'm role playing I prefer to feel that physics is still a fundamental part of the world unless overcome by some magical force or epic heroic ability.
That being said, I still want a huge amount of design and art involved in the weapons and armor. This is still fantasy, and everything should look very cool. But don't throw the laws of physics out the window with such reckless abandonment.

/signed

And thanks to Evran for post those snippets form that article regarding collision detection. Its good to know that its required to be imprecise.

Just give me a pair of shoulderpads which wouldn't either impale me or give me a concussion if I shrugged, and I'm happy.

I actually remember a fellow in WoW who had an epic sword; he made it a point to put into his myRP description how he was bent over double by the weight of the thing, and how the edge scraped on the ground behind him as he walked...

Trillian said:
Just give me a pair of shoulderpads which wouldn't either impale me or give me a concussion if I shrugged, and I'm happy.

I actually remember a fellow in WoW who had an epic sword; he made it a point to put into his myRP description how he was bent over double by the weight of the thing, and how the edge scraped on the ground behind him as he walked...

I agree. Some of the armor in WoW borders on the ridiculous. I would prefer armor/weapons look a little more realistic in size. You should be able to add effects, but armor should look like armor. Besides, I kinda like the idea of a mage wearing a simple looking homespun robe, but with the choice of wyr, make it have the AC of mail or plate(with appropriate penalties of course) :smiley:

I've rambled long enough, feel free to rip away.:D

Well I can defend WoW's art decision simply based on the fact that it's been their art style for over a decade now. It's outragous, but the Warcraft world always was. So I was always happy with it.
Since saying that, ya know I don't see a definate HJ art style that's been applied yet to 'everything'. Seems sort of jumbled as other folks have pointed out. Super real this and that, then suddenly something oddly shapened or fantastic in design. Eh maybe that is the art style.

I would prefere fantasy over the super real gear. So if HJ has a mix, thats just fine with me. I didnt have any problem with warcrafts armor. I actually like the tier 1 and 2 and grandmarshal mage stuff and priest stuff. Even teh horns on the druid gear.

Luciro said:
Well I can defend WoW's art decision simply based on the fact that it's been their art style for over a decade now. It's outragous, but the Warcraft world always was. So I was always happy with it.
Since saying that, ya know I don't see a definate HJ art style that's been applied yet to 'everything'. Seems sort of jumbled as other folks have pointed out. Super real this and that, then suddenly something oddly shapened or fantastic in design. Eh maybe that is the art style.

I actually avoided WoW for the first year or so based soley on my dislike of their cartoonish graphics until friends finally dragged me in.

One of the things I like most about HJ so far is the complete freedom you have to create your character's apperarence! I want to be able to be a barbarian wearing nothing but a loincloth and a big axe and still be as powerful as the knight in shining armor! And it doesn't have to be that unrealistic. Of course the knight is better protected against direct hits in his platemail, but the barbarian is agile and good at avoiding blows and withstanding pain. Please don't take that away from me :smiley:

navarre said:
I actually avoided WoW for the first year or so based soley on my dislike of their cartoonish graphics until friends finally dragged me in.

Me too. I swore there is no way I am going to play a game that looks so cartoonish. Unfortunately, after playing EQ2 since launch, I was getting burnt out on that and there wasn't anything else so I went to WoW. I have enjoyed the game but don't care at all for the over all look.

Back