Season 5 Ask Ausiello

I posted this at another site and thought I'd share it with everyone here as well
it's from Ask Ausiello at TV Guide

Question: I know you said at the end of last season not to worry, that Michael Vartan would be coming back for this last season of Alias. Imagine my surprise when I read in another publication that he may not be. Now, of course, I know that you, oh god of spoilers, are the only really reliable source out there, so tell me: Will we be Vaughn-less this season? — Megan

Ausiello: I stand by my story that Michael Vartan will be back on Alias this season. If you're asking me how many episodes he will appear in, that I cannot (and will not) reveal. Not even for all the money in the world. But just out of curiosity, how much you got?

Sounds like Vartan won't be a regular cast member this season.

I can't say that I am all that dissappointed. His level of concentrated and deliberate intelligence, as well as his depth has declined progressively throughout the seasons. I really hoped he'd develop a real character and personality again, but if all he is going to do is react, well, as much as I would miss his face, and feel for Sydney, I think it might be best for the show. :thinking:

Well there is a big storyline involving Vaughn so its kinda hard for him not to be a regular and on all the abc websites it says vaughn as a main character. Abcmedianet.com lists the castmembers for season 5. Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow, Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane, Michael Vartan as Michael Vaughn, Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon, Kevin Weissman as Marshall Flinkman, Victor Garber as Jack Bristow, Rachel Nichols as Rachel Gibson, Elodie Bouchez as Renee Rienne and I forget how to spell his name, Bathazar Getty as Thomas Grace.

Now he could still be a main character and not appear in every episode i remmeber dixon and weiss werent in a few.

1#ALIAS#1 said:
Well there is a big storyline involving Vaughn so its kinda hard for him not to be a regular and on all the abc websites it says vaughn as a main character. Abcmedianet.com lists the castmembers for season 5. Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow, Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane, Michael Vartan as Michael Vaughn, Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon, Kevin Weissman as Marshall Flinkman, Victor Garber as Jack Bristow, Rachel Nichols as Rachel Gibson, Elodie Bouchez as Renee Rienne and I forget how to spell his name, Bathazar Getty as Thomas Grace.

Now he could still be a main character and not appear in every episode i remmeber dixon and weiss werent in a few.
[post="1459245"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

They probably haven't removed his name from Media Net because they don't want the "surprise" of him leaving to be spoiled and they haven't confirmed it yet. They can have him be part of the storyline without ever being on the show. For example, we see Vaughn in episode one and know he is abducted/missing - he can be missing ALL season and the season will be about Syd trying to find him and find out who he really is. It's really not hard to have a story about him w/o him being in the show.....they did it w/Irina in the last half of season one. You heard all about Syd trying to find out about her without ever seeing her.

motherspy said:
I can't say that I am all that dissappointed.  His level of concentrated and deliberate intelligence, as well as his depth has declined progressively throughout the seasons.  I really hoped he'd develop a real character and personality again, but if all he is going to do is react, well, as much as I would miss his face, and feel for Sydney, I think it might be best for the show. :thinking:
[post="1459234"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Agreed. (y)

nygal300 said:
They probably haven't removed his name from Media Net because they don't want the "surprise" of him leaving to be spoiled and they haven't confirmed it yet. They can have him be part of the storyline without ever being on the show. For example, we see Vaughn in episode one and know he is abducted/missing - he can be missing ALL season and the season will be about Syd trying to find him and find out who he really is. It's really not hard to have a story about him w/o him being in the show.....they did it w/Irina in the last half of season one. You heard all about Syd trying to find out about her without ever seeing her.
[post="1459253"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Well there has been script pages released and Vaughn has had lines and Ausiello confirmed he WOULD be there it was just implied that just not as much. And about not being there and having a storyline this is the kinda storyline where the character needs to be there because they are sooo important and vital for this storyline to develop. Obviously Syd'd mom wasnt in the storyline involving her death, because she was well...dead.

If anything, the writers have given Vaughn more depth as Alias has gone on.
All of the characters, like all people, react to situations. However, Vaughn has
consistently been proactive on Sydney's behalf, as well as for the CIA and his family.
It seemed the past two seasons that Sydney was the one reacting instead of acting.
Once again, let's not forget that the characters are given life by the writers, who determine all their actions.

motherspy said:
I can't say that I am all that dissappointed.  His level of concentrated and deliberate intelligence, as well as his depth has declined progressively throughout the seasons.  I really hoped he'd develop a real character and personality again, but if all he is going to do is react, well, as much as I would miss his face, and feel for Sydney, I think it might be best for the show. :thinking:
[post="1459234"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I respectfully disagree. I thought his acting was superb in S4 especially in the "Vaughn" centric epis. And I certainly wouldn't blame lack of depth, etc., on acting abilities... blame the writers who write the scripts and the director who directs the actor. Frankly, I haven't seen any lack of depth, intelligence nor have I seen any blandness and have thoroughly enjoyed his acting in every episode. But I suppose there are those who like the "in your face" type acting as opposed to a soft, low-key approach. But to each their own...everyone has their own perception of what is good or bad acting. That said, if MV leaves, I'm one less viewer.

nygal300 said:
[post="1459253"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I hate to admit it but you have a point
They don't really need Vaughn there in order to uncover his past
They could easily have Syd do her own investigating to try to find
out about about the man that she thought she knew so well
She could get in contact with this new character that Vaughn was
working with and get info from her.
Although I'm not in favor of the no-Vaughn storyline, it can be done

If there are nine cast members listed, someone is going to go, because they have never had more than eight. Why is everyone so convinced it's Michael who is leaving?

1#ALIAS#1 said:
Well there has been script pages released and Vaughn has had lines and Ausiello confirmed he WOULD be there it was just implied that just not as much. And about not being there and having a storyline this is the kinda storyline where the character needs to be there because they are sooo important and vital for this storyline to develop. Obviously Syd'd mom wasnt in the storyline involving her death, because she was well...dead.
[post="1459543"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It is implied that Michael will be there, and not to seem rude to anyone (especially not any vartan fans) but why are we believing spoiler sources? JJ/ABC/VARTAN will come out and say something so until then, its all BS

Boston Scientist said:
If there are nine cast members listed, someone is going to go, because they have never had more than eight.  Why is everyone so convinced it's Michael who is leaving?
[post="1459676"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

it's alias...everything is always changing, and Carl is never very central, nor is Kevin

Boston Scientist said:
If there are nine cast members listed, someone is going to go, because they have never had more than eight.  Why is everyone so convinced it's Michael who is leaving?
[post="1459676"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Kristen with E! Online had indicated that the person leaving would be "news" in the gossip column sense of the word, which sort of indicates Vartan since the rumor mill has been trying to spin stories about him nonstop since last year. I'm not saying that means it is him, just that she indirectly suggested it. But maybe she just wants to increase the drama. I don't know. She has certainly given inaccurate info in the past. :confused:

spydancer said:
Kristen with E! Online had indicated that the person leaving would be "news" in the gossip column sense of the word, which sort of indicates Vartan since the rumor mill has been trying to spin stories about him nonstop since last year.  I'm not saying that means it is him, just that she indirectly suggested it.  But maybe she just wants to increase the drama.  I don't know.  She has certainly given inaccurate info in the past.  :confused:
[post="1459693"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Can i just say...it was Kristen...she even admits she doesnt know stuff

sexcivaughn14 said:
Can i just say...it was Kristen...she even admits she doesnt know stuff
[post="1459696"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

There was a bit of a drama a week and a half ago - an internet posting said that ABC had confirmed it. This was posted over at Alias Media. Then Alias Media took the "news" down awaiting official confirmation which never came. It was later suggested that the whole thing was a hoax. Nobody knows for sure at this point. ABC isn't commenting. So in the meantime, we are making sure they know how improtant we feel Vartan/ Vaughn is to the show. IMO better safe than sorry. But I'm with you, Kristen is full of it. On another note, ABC's refusal to say much of anything has been a little suspect. If it wasn't true it seems they would just come out and say it. Instead they are saying "Vartan is back for the beginning of the season, beyond that, let the story unfold." Personally I smell a rat. But I hope I'm wrong. :thinking:

As sad as i am to say this because well...i watch for Vartan, i think it might be a publicity stunt because Jennifer being pregnant and having married isnt necessarily bringing good press (i know people who are going to stop watching simply because she married Ben Affleck... but thats another story)

There is speculation to Jennifer have requested for Vartan to leave, but then you've got Michael saying 'I get Jen her craving food' [awww] so its all "AHHH" and leads back to hearsay! lol!

sexcivaughn14 said:
As sad as i am to say this because well...i watch for Vartan, i think it might be a publicity stunt because Jennifer being pregnant and having married isnt necessarily bringing good press (i know people who are going to stop watching simply because she married Ben Affleck... but thats another story)

There is speculation to Jennifer have requested for Vartan to leave, but then you've got Michael saying 'I get Jen her craving food' [awww] so its all "AHHH" and leads back to hearsay! lol!
[post="1459728"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

That is what I thought too in the beginning. And here's to hoping it is a publicity stunt. I will never believe Jen had anything to do with anything - if that ends up being a story. And Michael's so polictically correct no matter what... At this point who knows what is going on. I'm just with the team that is furiously writing letters trying to make sure this thing doesn't go down. I want Vartan on until the last episode. ;)

Back