Australian Open 2005

Yeah Baby! That was absolutely awesome. I felt intimidated by Venus Williams through the TV, I can't imagine being opposite her. Full credit to Alicia for sticking to her game, and not being afraid to hit the winners!

Might I just add, that it is nice to see a girl sweat so much lol, that's true commitment.

Oh poor Mauresmo lost again. I feel so bad for her, i mean will she ever win a major? Agassi is out too. That means my Australian Open is offically over (n)

That was an absolutely SHOCKING descision, and it cost Alicia the match. How bitterly disappointing. Alicia played absolutely brilliantly, taking so many risks with some very good shots. She didn't play the numbers, she went for her winners, and it almost came off. She did Australia proud, we'll see alot more of her methinks.

Hired-Goon said:
ROBBED
[post="1178931"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Most definitely. I don't know how the linesman AND the umpire called that serve as a fault when it was clearly on the line. Heck, half the ball was on the line! :angry:

Molik could of outplayed Davenport because she's younger, more fit, and more accustomed to the hot weather. Sigh. But Molik was definitely courageous for saving the first match point and breaking back. Definitely a formidable opponent considering she took on the number one seed to the three sets - the last set taking more than an hour to finish. So a big kudos to Molik.

Strangely enough, I prefer Molik over Hewitt. She's got a far bit too go in her game (her backhand is inconsistent) but she feels more genuine than Hewitt...not to say that he isn't. But I don't think he has what it takes to beat Federer.

Totally agree with ya Jess. I think Hewitt's dickhead factor is what puts me off...Molik's got more of that 'true blue' kinda feeling, you just want the girl to do well for herself, you know?

Totally agree Goony, Alicia is much more down to earth and to me seems more deserving!!! So sucks she lost, that line call was disgraceful!!! She showed mega guts though with those two returns she hit down the line after running around LD's serve, especially considering they were on break points, against her!! She's awesome, she'll go far, her future is promising!

Yup, definitely. Molik has that 'true blue' feel and easy going attitude. I haven't watched any of her games but watching her match against Davenport, I really wanted her to win because I knew she had the potential to especially when she won broke Davenport's serve to equal the number of games.

She's still young and has a lot of opportunities ahead of her. The best thing she got out of her quarter final match was invaluable experience. But I can't help but applaud her for the way she handled the match with all that pressure on her.

watching the molik davenport match on time delay from australia surely high drama judging by the posts above me molik did not win but she'll be heard from again good talented poised player
davenport will go down as a good not great player lacking in mobility and power not on the level of the greats like martina
watched federer dismantle agassi and he has the good fortune of being a level above any of his peers
on good days, roddick hewitt or safin might touch him
but federer is a rare one-shades of sampras and borg in their prime...

Just watched Hewitt win the fifth and final set in his match against David Nalbadian. So he's up against Andy Roddick in the Semis with Safin up against Federer.

I didn't get to watch Hewitt's entire match but it had a similar pattern to his previous match against Rafael Nadal -- five setter with Hewitt winning the first two sets but losing it for some reason or another and handing it to his opponents. The probably could work against Roddick but he can't afford to do that against an opponent as good as Federer. Right now, no one can touch Federer...he has so much finesse yet so much power and can vary his game with powerful groundstrokes and brilliant volleys.

So, kudos to Hewitt winning...but he needs a better gameplan if he wants to win the Open.

Back