Broken Hearts

A/N: This is set before Full Disclosure, so no one knows that Lauren's the mole... yet. Please review and enjoy.

Wearying Thoughts

“All right, I won’t wait up then… I love you too. Bye.”

Vaughn sighed as he hung up the phone. Lauren wouldn’t be getting back from her conference in D.C. until late that night, so he would be going to bed alone. Again.

It seemed that ever since Sydney had returned from the dead, he and Lauren had hardly spent any time together outside of work. Not to mention that things had been tense between them anyway with Sydney back in Vaughn’s life. Vaughn was internally torn between the two women, but of course he stayed faithful to his marriage. However, he couldn’t help the fact that he still had feelings for Sydney, feelings so deep that he started having dreams about her – dreams that he hadn’t had since he had started seeing Lauren. It was plainly evident to Lauren that Vaughn’s mind was constantly on Sydney, and she tried to be fair and respect that they had a history together. Of course, she worried about that history overtaking the present. So, she tried to make the most of the time that she spent with Vaughn, at least when work didn’t get in the way, which wasn’t often. However, during the times that she was with him alone, she felt awkward and angry that she had to stoop to competing with another woman for attention from her own husband.

Alone for the night, Vaughn decided to just relax and catch a hockey game. He turned on the TV, but he soon found that his mind was wandering. His life had never been simple once Sydney had entered the picture – having to allay her distrust of him when they first met, getting to know each other solely through covert meetings, developing a love for each other that neither could outwardly recognize without serious repercussions, that love being set free, but their moments constantly interrupted by their jobs, and finally a supposed death severing their connection. But even all of that paled in comparison to the situation now. Sydney had returned to life like a phoenix out of ashes only to find the man she loved married to someone else. And admittedly, no matter his current marital status, he still loved her too. Talk about complicated.

Despite everything Vaughn had – and lost – with Sydney, he had found love again with Lauren. When he felt like he was dying from grief, she appeared and brought him back to life. She gave his world hope and meaning again. She helped him cope with the pain of his loss and gave him something to fill the hole left in his heart – her unconditional love. However, he had occasionally found himself comparing what he had in his relationship with Lauren to his thoughts of what he would be having if Sydney were still alive. The two were extremely different, there was no question about that. While early in their relationship, he and Sydney had to mask their feelings for each other, he and Lauren had always been open, making things go a lot smoother. However, the enormous amount of tension between him and Sydney had caused its resolution to be that much greater, something that he missed in his relationship with Lauren. He had subconsciously tried to decide which relationship he would rather be in, but he had failed, most likely because in reality, he hadn’t wanted to decide. Sydney was dead, and thinking about what could have or should have been would only serve to torture him. But he still loved her too much. He had been willing to go through the pain of thinking of what he could have had to fulfill his heart’s desire.

And now, with Sydney back again, the question was coming up more frequently. But, even with the difficulties he and Lauren were having, he wouldn’t just up and leave her without a second thought.

Vaughn finally shook his head to clear his thoughts. He sighed helplessly. He couldn’t keep doing this to himself. It was late, and he was tired from all of his thinking, so he decided to go to bed.

He was awakened a few hours later by the sound of the phone. It took him several moments to fumble for it in the dark.

“Hello?” he asked groggily.

“Mr. Vaughn, this is Officer Nielson. I’m sorry to inform you that your wife was in a car accident. She’s at the hospital.”

“Oh my god! I’ll be right there.”

He hurriedly got dressed and quickly made his way to the hospital.

He was informed that Lauren was still in the ER and was directed to her room.

Just as he was about to enter, a doctor came out and addressed him.

“Mr. Vaughn?”

“Yes. How is she?” he asked hurriedly.

The doctor spoke softly. “Mr. Vaughn… She suffered severe head trauma. We did all that we could for her, but I’m afraid she died. I’m so sorry.” He patted Vaughn’s shoulder in brief comfort and then took his leave.

Vaughn stood there in complete shock.

Lauren was dead.

TBC

OMG!!! OMG!!! OMG!! OMG!!!
I read the title: Broken Hearts, Early S3, Lauren dies, ANGST
I was really excited. :woot:
That was such a great start.
Vaughn thinking about Sydney was really great and I was really suprised youkilled Lauren in the first chapter! I didn't expect that.
Thanx for the pm - keep me on the list. I want to see where this goes.
Update soon.

great great start. Personally (i know this might sound cold) am glad Lauren is dead. However, im skeptical about whether or not she really died or if she pulled an "Irina" on Vaughn. Thats my guess as to what just occurred. Can i get a pm please! Thanks

That was a very great start! And I loved what happened! :blush:
I hope Vaughn doesn't suffer so much and comes back to Syd!
Thanx for the PM and post soon!
Kisses :D

Good Job! You killed the cow! I'm so proud of you! But on the other hand maybe Lauren payed the doctor to tell Vaughn that he was dead because she knew that he was still in love with Sydney! Hope not! I hope that she really is dead!

I can't wait to see what is gonna happen in the future with Him and Syd! Great start!

Please add me to your PM list!

Thanks!

Megan

A/N: It seems some of you are skeptical that Lauren died. Interesting theory... :whistle: Just read to find out! :P Enjoy.

A Death's Toll

Vaughn couldn’t believe this was happening. His wife was dead. His world was spinning out of control. He leaned his back against the door to Lauren’s room and ran a hand through his hair and down his face. He swallowed his tears as he tried to retain his composure. He wasn’t very successful. The woman he loved – one of the women he loved – was now a lifeless corpse. At that moment, Vaughn wanted to just curl up into a ball and die. He didn’t know if he had the strength to go through another death of someone he loved. But he had to be strong now. He had to see his wife for the last time.

He breathed out deeply, some unrestrained tears falling down his cheeks, and entered her room. Seeing the figure of his wife under a white sheet made his stomach turn. Tears were falling freely now as he lifted the sheet to look at her face. Her head was wrapped in gauze, blood having seeped through, and several cuts marred her features. But, she was still so beautiful to him. He ran his hand through her hair and leaned down to kiss her lips. He wanted to shake her and scream at her to respond. Instead he kneeled down next to her and whispered softly into her ear, “I love you, Lauren.” Tears still blurring his vision, he rose and left the room.

Vaughn had no idea what to do now or where to go. He certainly didn’t want to go back to his empty house filled with now painful memories. So he decided to just drive around until he found some relief from this torturous night. Soon, he found his way to bar and dragged himself inside.

A few hours later, he stumbled back to his car, much more relaxed and relieved at this moment. Deep down, he knew that he shouldn’t be driving, but after this night, he really didn’t care. And anyway, it was nearly four o’clock in the morning, so practically no one would be out on the street right now, he reasoned. Ironically, drunk as he was, Vaughn was the one who made it home safely, not Lauren. He inwardly laughed at his luck, but perhaps it was really his misfortune, he thought.

He dragged himself inside and decided that a few more beers wouldn’t hurt. Soon after, he mercifully fell asleep, or more like passed out on his couch.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

There was a depressing briefing at the Ops Center later that morning. Sydney, Jack, Marshall, and Weiss all listened respectfully to Dixon as he passed on the news.

“Last night, there was a car accident. Lauren Reed was killed. There will be a memorial service next week.”

The room was full of shocked silence.

“Where’s Vaughn?” Sydney piped up, immediately concerned for him.

“He’s at home. He obviously won’t be coming in today.”

They were all dismissed to go back to work. But Sydney could hardly concentrate; she was too worried about Vaughn. How was he handling this latest tragedy? Was he going to be all right? What could he possibly be doing right now?

Sydney was so distracted that she was hardly accomplishing anything at work, and so she decided to leave early. When she left, she immediately drove to Vaughn’s house. She understood all too well the pain he must be feeling again, and she only hoped that she could somehow help him through it.

When she reached his house, she knocked on his door. There was no response.

“Vaughn?” she called. “It’s Sydney. Are you there?” Still nothing.

She tried the door knob, and surprisingly found it unlocked. She entered quietly, scanning the room for Vaughn. She spotted him on the couch, staring blankly into empty space. She made her way to him through the empty beer bottles that littered the floor and sat next to him, regarding him worriedly.

He had in his hand a picture of Lauren holding a small plush bear. He didn’t even acknowledge that Sydney was there, but he just started speaking absently in a broken voice. “We went to a carnival last year. She spotted this bear hanging from one of the booths and decided that she wanted me to win it for her. It cost eight dollars worth of balls to knock all of those damn pins down, but I won it. She was so happy. So… alive…”

“Vaughn?” Sydney spoke softly. “Vaughn,” she said louder as she shook him a little. “Michael, look at me.”

He finally turned his head towards her and stared at her through pain stricken eyes.

“Oh Vaughn…” she whispered touching his cheek softly. “It’s going to be all right.”

He pulled back roughly from her touch. “You don’t know that!” he whispered harshly.

“Vaughn, you’ve pulled through everything you’ve come to face. You’ll get through this too. I know it’ll be hard, but you can do it.”

“I nearly died when I lost you, Sydney. How am I supposed to go through this again?!”

“You can let me help you. You don’t have to do it alone.”

“I… I don’t think you should help me with this, Syd.”

“What? Why not? I know you’d do it for me, Vaughn, and I want to help you too.”

“It’s just that…” He trailed off, and then suddenly pulled her to him in a rough kiss.

Sydney could taste the alcohol in his breath. She had no idea what he thought he was doing, so she pulled back sharply.

“Vaughn! Wha—“

He took a deep breath. “I loved my wife. But, I still love you, Sydney. I can’t keep my thoughts away from you; I couldn’t even when I was married. I can’t mourn for my wife when all I can think about is loving you.”

“Vaughn…” she murmured. “I… I lov—“

“Please don’t,” he broke in, pressing his fingers to her lips. “Don’t say it. It’ll just make things harder.” He sighed. “I think you should leave.”

Sydney stared at him through narrowed, hurt eyes. She wanted to say more to him, but she thought it would be better to talk to him when he was more sober. But, she had to say this.

“Vaughn, if you don’t want me to help, let Eric, or a therapist. Just please talk to somebody. You can’t torture yourself. I won’t let you.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“Vaughn—“

“Please, Syd. I’m tired,” he sighed.

“All right,” she said quietly. “I’ll see you later.”

After she left, Vaughn went to the kitchen to drown himself in alcohol once more.

TBC

^^ i second that!
but oh god this storyline is just amazing
i feel sorry for vaughn to go through so much pain, i just hope he doesn't make things worse for himself than they already are *worried*
please keep on the pm list, i can't wait to see where you go with this

luv juju :harp:

p.s. sorry i couldn't read your one-parter but it's a season four fic and well, i'm trying to stay spoiler free
so sowwie!

Back