Broken Hearts

Aww so glad that Syd is there and wants to help ... that was great ... poor Vaughn ... so Laurens really dead such a shame (so dont meant that is that wrong?) ... thanks for the PM ... more soon please

That was great! Can't wait for u to update more I really felt sorry 4 vaughn, even though he's a character, ur a great writer! Plz update soon!!!

Pooor Vaughn. He's going through a really hard time.
It's nice of Syd to offer to help, but Vaughn obviously not in any state for her to help him, well not yet.
Thanx for the pm
Update soon.

Poor Vaughn. I'm glad Sydney is there to help him. You are an amazing writer!! Please update soon!

Thanks for the PM,

xO laur

A/N: Here's Chapter 3. Enjoy.

Injured Spirits

Vaughn was mentally exhausted. His mind was spinning over what he had just done. He had just refused the support of the person he still loved. But, as much as it killed him to admit it, he had been right. How was Sydney supposed to help him through this? Yes, she had had to go through the death of her fiancé and her best friend, so she would know what his pain was doing to him. But there was too much history with her. He knew that he couldn’t do justice to his wife’s death if his mind was constantly on Sydney. He loved Lauren, and he couldn’t dishonor her, even in death. There would be a time when he would be able to pick up the pieces of his broken relationship with Sydney, but it was not now. Now, he had to prepare for his wife’s funeral.

He looked at the picture he was holding again. Her bright smile illuminated the photo, something that he would miss in real life. He lightly traced a finger down the image of her cheek as a tear fell and spattered on the frame’s glass. He sighed and put the picture face down. He couldn’t look at it any longer without having a breakdown.

God, he was so tired of this. Tired of death. He dealt with it nearly every day on the job, but this was much different. This was personal. And this time, he couldn’t find anyone to blame. Not even the man who had caused the accident – he was killed too. It seemed that he was fated to always find a spark of happiness, and instead of it turning into a simple, lovely flame it transformed into a raging inferno that violently destroyed everything in its wake. He felt like the flames were engulfing him, burning him, killing him. And there was no one to pull him out. He felt so alone, so disconnected. And that scared him. He had felt this way once before, and he let himself drown in drinks to make the pain stay away. It worked for a time, but it really only served to make a complete mess out of him. Such a god-awful mess that he knew he could never return to it and survive.

He looked around his house and grimaced at the sight of all of the empty bottles. He was falling again, but luckily, he wasn’t at the point of no return. He knew what he had to do to get out of this mess. He picked up his phone.

“This is Weiss.”

“Hey. It’s Vaughn.”

Vaughn could hear the sympathy in his voice. “Hey. How are you doing?”

Vaughn sighed. “How do you think I’m doing, Eric?”

“I know,” Weiss said softly. “What’s up?”

“Do you think you could come over?” He tried not to sound too desperate, but he really needed someone with him right now, if only to see another living person’s face.

“Sure, I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Various emotions ran wild through Sydney as she left Vaughn’s house. Hurt, angry, disappointed, confused, and even hopeful were only a few. She resented the fact that Vaughn refused her help and support. He had helped her through so many different problems that she doubted she could number them. It was her turn to do the same for him. She couldn’t just watch him wallow in his grief. It pained her greatly to see him in such a state. She wanted to help him. But she had no idea how she was going to do that after being told to stay away. She was left defenseless, with no control, and that scared her.

However, through all of the darkness, there was a glimmer of hope. Hope that she and Vaughn would someday be together again. He had told her he still loved her, and she knew it wasn’t just the beer talking. She could tell by the look in his eyes. The desire, the longing were still there, just as they were three years ago when they were kept separated by the looming presence of SD-6. They had overcome that obstacle; Sydney knew that they would get through this too. It was only a matter of time and patience. Vaughn had explained to Sydney why he couldn’t accept her help, and as much as she didn’t want to, she had to respect that. He had to deal with this in the way that he thought best, as long as he didn’t hurt himself in the process. And other people would be there for him. She would be there in an instant for him if he sought her help, but as long as he wanted her to stay on the sideline, she would, she resolved.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Vaughn hung up the phone and yawned. He hadn’t gotten much sleep that night, and after spending the entire day on the couch, he felt sluggish and drained. He knew that it was around dinner time, but he couldn’t muster up the energy or even the will to cook something for himself. He supposed that he could order in, but he despised the thought of food at the moment. He wasn’t hungry, he wasn’t satiated, he was just… empty. It was a strange feeling really, something that he had only had to feel a couple times in his life, which were really a couple times too many. It was like he could feel his spirit ceasing to exist, his will and drive in life functioning no more. He felt as he did the last time something like this happened that all of the darkness in the world would just swallow him up, leaving him only with his misery to keep him company. But he wasn’t defenseless yet. He was helping himself. He was reaching out.

There was a knock at his door.

“It’s open, Weiss,” Vaughn called from where he was sitting.

“Hey, Vaughn,” Weiss said as he entered the house. He joined Vaughn on the couch. “Do you want to talk?” he asked tentatively.

“About what? About how I feel about being a widower? About how I’ve lost two people whom I loved in as many years? About how I can feel myself losing the battle to maintain my will to live? Where do you think I should begin?”

Weiss knew that he had to be patient. Vaughn wasn’t angry at him so much as the entire world.

“Start wherever you’d like. Or don’t start at all. We can talk, we can just sit here, we can do whatever you want. Whatever you feel comfortable with.”

“What I’m comfortable with? Do you really think that I’m comfortable with any of this, Weiss?!” Vaughn paused and sighed. He knew he couldn’t take out his frustration on the only person who was trying to help him right now. “Eric, I’m sorry…”

Weiss shook his head. “I understand. Forget about it… Look, do you want get something to eat? It would beat sitting here all night.”

“I’m not very hungry.”

“What if I took you to your favorite restaurant. That Italian place you like so much. It’ll be my treat.” When he didn’t receive a response, Weiss pushed around a few empty bottles that were on the floor with his foot, “Come on, I really think you need to get out of here for a few hours.”

Vaughn sighed again. He seemed to be doing that often lately. It was as if his entire life had become one big, frustrated sigh. “Fine. I guess we could go.”

“Great, let’s do it.”

TBC

Awww poo Vaughn. :(
He's in soo much pain. it's just soo sad. At least he is getting help from Weiss that is a positive start!
Poor Sydney aswell as much as she is trying to understand he doesn't want her support it must still be hard.
Thanx for the pm
update soon.

That was great ... so glad that Vaughn called Weiss ... at least he knows he just cant drink his pain away ... thanks for the PM ... more soon please

Hey! This is so great! I feel so sorry for Vaughn even though i detest Lauren its os sad to se him sad! im so glad that he has started to pull together tho and not just drink himself to death!

Back