Building a Website....

bubbletea said:
Ooh... I'm playing around with Dreamweaver too, I have the 30 trial. If you have a webhost that allows you to make HTML pages, then in Dreamweaver get it to show you the HTML behind it and copy that into your webhost. It's actually really simple. Thats what I do when I use parts of images as links and can't do it with the HTML i know.

Also, the HTML tutorial that like every professional learns from is at
http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Inter...LPrimerAll.html, if you're willing to try that.
Thank you for that link!

I'm trying to build my website, and even with Dreamweaver, I'm completely stumped. But some day... I'll have it working... hopefully. :confused:

hmm just found this thread - i too am trying to learn to build a website for my art.
i am using dreamweaver and a book called learn dreamweaver in24 hours - yeah right - we'll see. i have done 5 hours so far - its pretty good and easy (ish) to follow - but the html is so hard to learn - if anything messes up i wont have a clue how to fix it - and i havent gottgen to the age layout or anythin yet. can't wait til i do though!!!!!!!! :smiley:

I have a couple of questions.

Does anyone know of a good WYSIWYG free downloadable program I can use to make my own website, if I ever decide to follow through with ideas I have?

And does anyone know of a good place to find free hosting (btw, does allalias host sites?)

Thanks if anyone can help!

a good site to host is 250free.com or something on that order, just google "250 free" ... it's 250 free megabytes but there are lots of adds

i use blogger for my journal and stuff (Dangerously Awake) and i do all the html for it. i host all my files that i put on it at the 250 free site and then link from it to blogger.

cass I just use Microsoft Frontpage and I don't know of anywhere you can dl it if you don't have it.....sry. but if you can find someone with their own domain that's offering hosting, it's a lot better than some of the free hosting sites that tend to have popups and ads and junk. I'm hosted by Susie at evidemment.org (the server's down or sumthing right now but otherwise it's good) and I know Kimmy at uncertain-angel.net offers hosting....

AA hosts if you're a Platinum member too...

i used to use brinkster, i have had an account since 2000 but this year they started having ads so i host off of a friend's webserver. i would say if you have never learned html before, learn it. its so easy. oh and dont use a editor like frontpage, they tend to mess up ur site even if you dont know it. use good old notepad or for those people who can afford it look in to buying a copy of vis studio 6 and using interdev. well im out.

scope

I haven't really looked into web hosting in a long time, because I haven't developed a serious website in a while. But in terms of HTML, it is probably one of the easiest things to learn. I personally never really used anything more complicated than EditPlus, which is a souped up version of notepad. Just give me some basic syntax color coding, and I'm a happy camper.

I've found DreamWeaver to be an excellent program to use. IT generates fairly clean HTML code. It's DHTML javascript code is another story. But I suspect you are not ready to deal with that yet. HomeSite is another program that generates clean code and doesn't get in the way.

everyone should learn asp. well learn vb then learn asp. asp is go great. its like php which i hear is like c++, but asp can be done with either vbscript or jscript. i made hella on a page using asp like 4 years ago back before it was big. its so great, like if you wanta make a message board/guestbook/blog, its so easy. just need a db and a server that can do server side stuff and ur set. thank god i went to a "tech" high school.

scope said:
everyone should learn asp.  well learn vb then learn asp.  asp is go great.  its like php which i hear is like c++, but asp can be done with either vbscript or jscript.  i made hella on a page using asp like 4 years ago back before it was big.  its so great, like if you wanta make a message board/guestbook/blog, its so easy.  just need a db and a server that can do server side stuff and ur set.  thank god i went to a "tech" high school.
[post="1005224"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

ASP is a nice first step. A lot of the MIcrosof technologies from back then (prior to .NET) served as a good starting point. But in the end, when you really wanted to develop some enterprise level applications, they fall short. Yes, you can do enterprise level stuff with ASP. But it's painful, and you really have to jump through some hoops to get any kind of versatility and scalability.

At this point, I would suggest learning ASP.NET. It is eons ahead of ASP and makes developing applications that are scalable, and have clear code/UI separation extremely easy. I would also strongly encourage learning the other side of the coin, aka -- JSP and the whole J2EE platform.

Xin Li

Microsoft Frontpage is good for building sites. Frontpage Express is the free version you can download from microsoft, but it is limited in what it can do.

Background images can be used with any host you use. Just use the coding:

<body
background="PUT IMAGE URL HERE">

As for free hosts, bravehost is good when it comes to forms, guestbooks, personal forums etc.

Geocities.com is my personal fave for hosting. The ads aren't difficult to manage. Another, recommended by a friend, is 100free.com ... which I believe gives you 100 MB and has no ad popups.