Title: Campaign of Hate
Rating: PG-13
Setting: AU
Lyrics: Campaign of Hate by The Libertines

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>There’s a campaign of hate
just waiting at the school yard gate
</span>

“Dead Sydney walking” a boy behind me shouts

Ignore him I keep telling myself. I did something noble Friday night and no one is going to take that pride away from me. Not even a little bastard like Jacob Garther; the official Lauren ass-kisser.

I can see her now. She’s sashaying towards me in a designer label skirt. She’s always wearing clothes like that to impress all the “less fortunate”, as she says, people. Her lips are pursed in an unusual way and the gloss is deep red today. That’s never a good sign. The only time Lauren Reed wore deep red lipstick to school was when she secretly beat up Pricilla Penty for calling her a sl**.

Lauren Reed is looking for blood and this time it’s not coming from Pricilla. It’s coming from me.

It was an innocent joke. I never meant for any of it to get this far. But every private school kid knows that once you mutter something to someone else the next day it’s all around the town. I wasn’t thinking right last night. I even admit that maybe I was a bit tipsy but it was a dare. It’s not my fault I was forced to drink a tiny sip of beer. So then logically it isn’t my fault that the rumor got started.

Lauren Reed doesn’t seem to care though. She doesn’t have much sympathy for the quite types like myself. I mean she has to beat up someone for starting it and the easiest person to blame was, you guessed it, me.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Now remember why you came
Not to play follow the leader, no no
</span>

She’s getting closer now. I can feel the sweat dripping down my back and I quickly wipe the beads of perspiration on my face away. She stops right in front of me and smiles. Her posse snickers at me and whispers amongst themselves.

“Hello Sydney” she coos

I mumble something inaudible and she laughs ever so slightly. I don’t see why I’m worrying so much. I do know karate and if she even tried to touch me I could easily give her a swift kick to the head.

The only thing about the karate class I took. They never really taught how to handle situations that might actually happen; that might take place in real life. It was constantly “Oh, but you’ll probably never be attacked but, you know, just in case.” and then they’d wink at you. Wink for godsakes!

“What’s that?” Lauren asks me with a smirk on her face. I can tell she’s enjoying this; enjoying the sweet satisfaction of making Sydney Bristow squirm.

The bell rings and everyone rushes inside, despite the fact that they’d rather stay out here and watch the show. Lauren suddenly grabs my hair and pulls me to the back of the building. No one can see us from back here. Her friends follow and stare at her. They honestly didn’t believe it would get this far… again.

The whole time I’m screaming and yelling for help and then she lets go. I rub my scalp and throw my fist at her face. She ducks her head, barely dodging it.

“You little b****!” she snarls at me “I’m in charge here. Don’t you dare touch me”

Her eyes are huge with anger and rage. Her mascara is smudged and I know if she finds out she’ll beat me up even more.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>There’s a campaign of hate</span>

I look around and notice that one of her friends has snuck away. Apparently they don’t want to be caught up in the middle of this chaos.

Lauren grabs the collar of my shirt and smashes her fist into my stomach. I grunt in pain and double over. “Would you like to start anymore rumors about me?” she asks sarcastically

“No…” I try to answer

She punches me again, this time in the face. I can feel the blood dripping my face and my nose screams in pain. She lets go and I fall to the ground. She stands over me with her hands on her hips and all of her friends look deathly scared now. There perfect records will be ruined when the teachers figure out what’s happening.

If they ever do figure out what’s happening

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Just waiting at the school yard gate</span>

I accidentally smile at this thought and Lauren catches me. Her rage builds up once more and she puts her face right in front of mine. Her perfume almost chokes me and struggle for a breath. How can she stand to wear so much?

“Oh” she finally says “So you think this is funny?”

She throws her head up in the air and lets out a loud laugh. “She’s crazy. She enjoys getting beat up. Isn’t that funny?”

No one responds. They continue to glance back and forth between Lauren and me. This time she kicks me in various places and I hear someone’s footsteps coming up to us. I can hear Lauren and her friends scrambling to get away; all of their high pitched screams erupting every few seconds.

Then they all stop. I can barely see anything though so my mind is spinning.

“Oh, it’s you Vaughn” she purrs

“What the hell are you doing?!?” he demands

“Just having a little fun, honey” she replies calmly

“Fun?” he asks “And don’t call me honey. We broke up a month ago” he says

I can imagine Lauren frowning. Her smile slowly turning upside down and I can imagine her hands balling up into fists. I wouldn’t be surprised if she threw a punch at Michael.

She does actually. I can hear her arm fly through the air and I open my eyes and watch as Michael grabs it in shock and throws her to the ground. There’s tears streaming down her face and she knows that she’s caught. Her makeup is running and she almost looks human. It’s weird how a single tear can suddenly make someone so mean look so vulnerable.

He takes my hand and pulls me up off the ground. Then he guides me to the Principals Office; the whole way he’s muttering something to himself about how Lauren’s crazy and psychopathic. He pushes the door open with more force than I’d expect and the Principal jumps halfway out of his seat.

He runs up to me and asks Michael questions about how it happened. He simply tells him that he doesn’t know and that he rescued me in the knick of time. The Principal calls for an ambulance (I’m guessing my nose is broken. It feels like it is.) and tells me that when I get out of the hospital they’ll ask me about everything and punish who ever did it.

I highly doubt they’ll punish her but one can hope, right?

Michael holds my hand as we walk to the ambulance. I can’t seem to figure out why. When I get in he mumbles goodbye, sticks his hands in his pocket, and heads back to the front of the school. People sure are strange at times.

Most girls would freak if they discovered that their nose was broken. Not me. Anything that’s broken can be fixed as I often hear grownups say.

I actually can’t wait to get back to school. To nail Lauren in the head and get her in trouble. Maybe even start another rumor about the b****.

It’s quite amusing watching Lauren squirm. Seeing her act like she’s the queen of everyone when everyone knows she isn’t. I just know she’s in class right now, bragging to all of her other friends about how she beat me up. But the doctors say I’ll be out in a few days.

So come Monday… I’ll be the one wearing the deep red lipstick.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>
Cause you don’t get nothing for free</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>
Sydney in this fic...is amazing. I mean I can sense her strength and everything. I really like how you incorporated the last sentence...that just pulled the entire fic together and just left me wanting more!!!Alas, this is a one-parter..unfortunately.
That was really really fantastic. I love your writing style. I also liked the whole idea behind the fic..very very clever.

I'm so happy that I get to be the FIRST to comment and I'm sorry I didnt comment earlier...so you get a :hug: because I feel terrible that I am such a bad reviewer. But I really liked this fic...very poetic.!!!

thanks so much for pm'ing me about this one-parter because I truly enjoyed it!!!!

-kait
</span>

This was really good. I liked it. I spend most of my time over at romance fiction reading there, but when I got your PM asking to read this one I thought I'd come take a look. Glad I did. Was really good.

Thanks for the PM

THIS FIC IS AWESOME. IF YOU DECIDED TO DO ANOTHER CHAPTER ON THIS FIC OR IF YOU ARE DOING A SEQUAL TO PM ME. I REALLY WANNA SEE LAUREN GETTING BEAT UP BY SYDNEY AND THEN SYDNEY GETTING THE GUY. ANYWAYS, IT WAS AWESOME.

Hoooooley moley. Okay note to self: read more fics in general fiction!

:thud:

Cos the quality of the fics in this part of the forums is amazing... And this one, just... Wow. :D I'm seriously starting to doubt the quality of romance fics, that's fore sure :lol:

Aaaaand... I know someone's already mentioned this (I think it was Kait?) but Sydney is portrayed beautifully in this fic. Something about the strength she holds inside is expressed through this piece of writing, and though she gets completely steam-rolled by Lauren... She's still game to come back and start a new corner. She isn't cowering like any weak person would in Lauren's shadow, and I love that ^_^

Also... Love how the characters in this fic relate to the ones in Alias. Lauren playing the roll of queen cow of course, was awesome ;) She's just one of those people you love to hate, I guess! So thank you for making me hate her ;)

Anyways, fantabulous writing! I loved it :smiley:

Cai
x

Back