Caught Up In Reality

Caught Up In Reality
Dreams of You

Sydney looked across the candle-lit table into Vaughn's stunningly green eyes. It was the perfect date, the restaurant had a beautiful atmosphere, and through the windows the diners had a splendid view of the Eiffel Tower. The food was exquisite, and the service excellent, but the icing on the cake was Vaughn. Just as he was leaning across the table to share a bite of food, her cell phone rang.

Sydney rubbed her eyes sleepily and groped across the tousled sheets onto the nightstand. Finally she found the phone.

"Joey's Pizza?"

"Sorry, wrong number." She mumbled into the mouthpiece as she stumbled out of bed. When she heard the click on the other line she hung up. She hastily rushed out the door, grabbing a piece of toast and leaving a note for Francie explaining she had gone out for a run.

Glancing at her watch as she drove through the dimly lit streets of LA, she was shocked to find that it was 1:13 in the morning. She had only gotten an hour of sleep since getting back from Rio de Janeiro. The mission hadn't been particularly difficult, but still.

At least she got to see Vaughn. It was unusual that he would contact her before she got another mission from SD-6. Oh my god, I am going to see Vaughn She looked down at her scanty pajamas in horror. It was too late to turn back; at least it was dark in the warehouse.

................................................................................

Meanwhile Vaughn sat on the table in the warehouse. He hated waking Syd up so soon after she got back from a mission, but he equally was eager to see her. As always. He wondered if there was ever a time he wasn't glad to see Sydney. He strongly doubted that.

Weiss was right. He was too attached to his agent. All his time at work was devoted to keeping her safe, and during most of his free time he was thinking about her. Even when he slept, sometimes he just couldn't keep her out of his head. He thought back to what Irina had asked him when he was sick.

She had wanted to know if he was in love with Sydney. And he had answered her questions. And in a very round-a-bout way, he had said yes. He loved Sydney Bristow.

But it wasn't like he could do anything about it. He couldn't act on his feelings. There was protocol, the Alliance, Sloane. Irina's words rang in his head.

"You asked me some questions. I told you I'd answer them if you helped me. You did help me and I thank you for that. "I didn't do it for you." "I'm trying to live a normal life, which was always hard given what I do but it's gotten harder since I met your daughter. It's not that knowing her hasn't made my life better. It has. But it's also made it that much worse. I think I've said enough."

"The problem, Mr. Vaughn, is that to the one person who matters, you haven't said anything." "Listen, this may not mean anything to you. This may not be something you can understand or appreciate, but we have rules. Very clear and important rules that govern the relationship between a handler and his asset." "And between a man and a woman?"

It was almost like Irina wanted Vaughn to be with Sydney. Then again, what was he listening to her for?

He couldn't act on his feelings... Could he?

He looked up as Sydney's still-slippered feet padded into the warehouse. As she walked in he swallowed hard, noticing that she looked like she had just gotten out of bed. She had just gotten out of bed. Vaughn tried to hide his smile as he looked over what she was wearing. Clad in a worn tank-top and short pajama bottoms, Syd looked as though she could seriously use a coffee.

"Here, I picked you up a latté on the way over. I figured you would need it..." He trailed off, not knowing what to say next. Gratefully she took the caffeine laden drink from his hand, her fingers brushing softly over his as she did so, leaving his hands hot and sweaty.

"This is just what I needed," She said between sips. "Thanks."

"No problem." He said with a smile. She sat down next to him on the table.

"What do you have for me?" She sounded as if she didn't even want to know.

"A recon mission in the Bahamas. According to Jack, Sloane may have stored some files there. It's been confirmed that something is hidden there, we just don't know what. You are going to need to talk to your mother, see if she can help. There is a briefing tomorrow." Sydney nodded. "In the meantime you should get some rest."

"Yeah, I'm beat. I've been so busy lately. Last week it was Rio, the week before that it was St. Petersburg..." She trailed off. He nodded sympathetically. "Well I am going to be getting home. Francie will be wondering why I went running at 1 o'clock in the morning if I don't get back soon."

................................................................................

"We can't really give you much intel about this mission, as we don't even know what we are looking for. Essentially you will be posing as tourists and touring around the islands, looking for the documents." Sydney sat across from Vaughn, next to her father.

"You said 'tourists'. Who is going with me?" She asked.

"Agent Vaughn and your father. I decided to send them with you to back up your cover in case Sloane picks up on any of this. You and Agent Vaughn will be posing as newlyweds; Jack will be your father. Oh and you are going to need to talk to your mother before you go, see if she has anything that might help us. You leave in three hours."

"And my cover for SD-6?"

"Taken care of. Jack already spoke with Sloane."

"And who else is going?" Irina asked as Sydney finished giving details about the mission. "I assume your father will be joining you."

"Agent Vaughn will be coming too."

Well that put things in a new light. If it had been only Sydney and Jack, she could have just told them what she knew and be done with it, but with Agent Vaughn joining them...

"I need you to trust me, Sydney. What I am going to ask, you probably are going to reject at first. But you need to let me come with you on this one."

Two and a half hours later, Sydney, Vaughn, Jack, and Irina were on the plane to the Bahamas.

Caught Up In Reality
A Beautiful Day

On board the private plane, Syd and Vaughn swapped bios as Jack multi- tasked, prepping for the mission while keeping an eye on Irina, who, upon entering the plane, had closed her eyes and was apparently asleep.

Looking at her new passport and driver's license, Sydney was pleased to see that her alias, Charisse dela Fleuve, looked a lot like Sydney herself. Apart from some highlights and a few soft curls, Sydney wouldn't have to do much to look the part.

"Not bad. You?" Sydney asked Vaughn as she looked over the rest of her alias.

"I got off pretty well. Darker hair and glasses."

"Wig or dye?" Sydney held up a mass of dark hair in one hand, and a black bottle in the other. Vaughn looked from one hand to the other dubiously.

"What do you suggest? You've done this way more times than I have."

"Usually I wear a wig, it's easier, but we don't know how long this is gonna take; we could be here a while. The wig is great for a short mission, but anything more long term, and you are going to be very uncomfortable. So I'd go with the dye." Sydney replied, handing him the bottle. She then began getting herself ready, adding in the highlights and curling her hair at the ends. After she had finished, she helped Vaughn to dye his hair, gently massaging the inky liquid into his short waves. When she left to change into another outfit, Vaughn began to select something more comfortable than the suit he currently wore. Settling on a green shirt and casual pants, he too went to change.

Exiting their separate changing rooms at the same time, Syd and Vaughn admired each others new look, each delighted to see the other in something other than work clothes.

"You look... great. The curls are nice." Vaughn said, truly meaning it. She did look great. The white tank top fit perfectly, complementing the embroidered skirt she wore. It was sexy and innocent at the same time. Her curls tumbled over her shoulders and onto her back.

"You too, Vaughn." The green shirt brought out his emerald eyes in a way she didn't think was possible. Suits looked great on him, but more casual clothes looked pretty damn good too. They sat back down next to each other. Each took out their alias's information and got back to studying who they were going to be.

"Back to the bios I guess..." Vaughn said with a sigh. Getting into the personality of his alias, he smiled and extended his hand to Sydney. "Hi, I'm Michel dela Fleuve. And you are...?" Sydney laughed and shook his hand.

"Charisse dela Fleuve. Nice to meet you." She said, going along with it.

"The pleasure is all mine." Vaughn replied with a laugh. "Looks like we're married, Syd." He said, pulling a marriage certificate out of the stack of papers. "Married October 1st." He laughed. "The day we met. I bet that was Weiss." They continued to go over information for another hour, until they both fell asleep.

Jack had been cleaning the weapons, and was just finishing storing them in the special suitcases designed to get them past customs, when Irina woke up. The first thing she did was look over at two younger passengers. She smiled when she saw them both looking so comfortable in their slumber, Sydney's head resting on Vaughn's shoulder, her hand on his chest.

"Irina?"

"Yes, I'm awake, Jack. How long was I asleep?"

"We are just coming to within sight of the island. It should be another half hour."

"Did you sleep at all?" She asked.

"No," was his curt reply. She smiled again at this. He couldn't even bring himself to sleep while she was free on the plane. The rest of the flight was spent in silence, with Jack's glare alternating between Vaughn for being so close to Sydney, and Irina for laughing at him when he did this.

They landed in Nassau twenty-five minutes later. Vaughn awoke to find Sydney resting peacefully on his chest and Jack giving him one of the best evil eyes he had ever seen.

"Syd." He said, gently shaking her shoulder until her eyes fluttered open. "Syd, we're there."

"Wha... Oh. Thanks." She smiled at him and proceeded to get off the plane and out of the airport. Stepping into the moist, warm air of the Bahamas, she thought about the mission ahead.

"Hey, Vaughn?"

"Yeah?"

"How are we touring the islands?"

"Cruise." Vaughn answered, grinning at the thought of taking a cruise in the Bahamas, pretending to be married to Sydney.

"Sydney. Agent Vaughn." Jacks voice came from inside the taxi waiting for them. Tonight they would sleep at a hotel, boarding the cruise ship in the morning. Vaughn helped Sydney into the taxi with a smile, then got in himself. It was going to be a beautiful day.

Charisse and Michel dela Fleuve, accompanied by Nicolas and Allana, Charisse's parents, checked into the Ocean Club Resort in Nassau.

"Hello, and welcome to the Ocean Club Resort. My name is Claire. May I help you?" The clerk said as they approached the counter.

"Yes, ah we have a reservation. For dela Fleuve." Vaughn said, bringing his French accent into play. Sydney admired it, even though she knew he had grown up in Fleury.

"Oh yes, Mr. dela Fleuve. We have been expecting you. Please follow me." Claire led the foursome through a well-furnished lobby to the elevator. Stepping in, she pressed the button for the fourth floor and beamed at Sydney, Vaughn, Jack, and Irina.

"On your honeymoon?" Claire had noticed the matching wedding rings that Syd and Vaughn had donned on the plane.

"No, actually. We've been married about three months now. We just wanted to spend a little time with my family." Sydney replied, wrapping an arm around Vaughn and looking up at him. Claire nodded as the elevator stopped and the doors opened. They got out of the elevator and followed Claire to rooms 407 and 408. Claire opened the doors for both couples and showed them around their rooms, which were comfortably furnished with spectacular views of the beach below.

"Your bags will be up shortly." Claire said, and left to resume her duty at the front desk. Sure enough, a few minutes later a bell boy came up with their suitcases. After tipping the bell boy and unpacking the few things they would need for the night, Sydney and Vaughn met Irina and Jack outside their adjacent rooms. Looking at his watch, Vaughn noticed that it was only noon. They had the rest of the day to do whatever they wanted.

Thanks for the lovely reviews, guys. I appreciate it. Keep 'em coming! Chapter three is on the way.

Also, read my other three fics:: Enfin, Magnificent Lies, and Love and War. They're all in the romance section!

Back