Chat Channels

Originally posted by Foxeye@May 24 2006, 04:15 PM
Morneblade, that's why they created RP servers. :smiley: No one should be forcing anyone to RP on a normal server, just like no one should be forced to PvP on a normal server if it isn't a PvP-centric game.

However, anyone who enters an RP server *should* be expected to do their hardest to stay in character. After all, one wouldn't expect to go onto a PvP server and then complain because people tried to attack you. That would be silly.

So for those who really don't like the extra hassle of staying in character, don't play on RP servers.

Though I suppose if you can't type fast, you could always RP a guy who doesn't talk very much. :P

I agree, but this wasn't pointed at as being a RP server, which is why I made the comment. Cf was talking about various channels that would decrease his immersion and didn't specify RP server, it might have been implied but I didnt see it that way. With Simu having a rep for rewarding RP I took it mean all servers. As for RPing someone who doesn't talk much I do that some, but even when I do have something to say, it usually comes out after I would have liked it too, and out of context, so it kinda bites. Like that "add" I saw coming but couln't come up with a good RP way fo saying it till after it just mopped up the healer and cleric.... :blink:

Thig is, if you don't like a global channel, why not just turn it off? Seems pretty easy to me.

Originally posted by HJ-Sisca@May 24 2006, 03:17 PM
Actually, people are using a text based chat system to facilitate playing a graphical RPG. It may seem like semantics but it's an important difference. The Game, the fighting and moving around the world among other things, is graphical. Unfortunately, since we're dealing with multiple players, they need some way to communicate and the best was thus far is text - DDO tried adding a voice chat system but the RP community hates it because it destroy's immersion.

So you have to keep in mind that the chat system isn't just for player interaction within the context of the game it's also to facilitate the players ability to actually play the game. You need to be able to communicate to form groups but you also need that system to allow people to just chat and get to know each other outside of the context of the game which is what builds communites.
What I'm reading you say is that folks use text to facilitate game play, which I do see the value for.

What I was replying to, however, is someone saying that people have global RP chat channels to roleplay. (I did a very poor job with my quoting, so I apologize for that!) Not to set up groups or to get to know each other outside the context of the game, but to go in character and talk out scenarios and the like. That, to me, sounds like a text-based RPG.

Or did I misunderstand what you were trying to convey?

Back