Cheating

mystery_chick said:
Oh my, you have honors policies that you have to sign?!
--mandy :angelic:
[post="1086013"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah, it basically says that if we plagarize or copy assignments or cheat on tests or anything, we can be kicked outof the program we're in & the school, in the offchance it's not our home school...which for at least half of us (including me), it's not. We're supposed to be on our honor not to do anything like that.

& we had an honor policy in middle school too. But, someone in my history class 8th grade year, cheated, although it was unknown who, so they called all these people down to the vice principal's office & threatened them & stuff. Argh. One of my friends got called down & she was so scared, she was crying.

--jenn :juggle:

Yeah, we have an honor policy too. Now my school has this "turnitin.com" thing where we have to upload our essays onto the website and it scans the ENTIRE internet to see if we copied off of any site.

I never cheat on essays or important projects such as that. But on simple worksheets, I usually get lazy and ask a friend for the answers. It's so uncanny that sometimes even the littlest thing can be labeled cheating yet no one is aware of it. My friends always share answers with one another and it seems like such a common thing.

G$f3arl3ssG$ said:
Yeah, we have an honor policy too. Now my school has this "turnitin.com" thing where we have to upload our essays onto the website and it scans the ENTIRE internet to see if we copied off of any site.

I never cheat on essays or important projects such as that. But on simple worksheets, I usually get lazy and ask a friend for the answers. It's so uncanny that sometimes even the littlest thing can be labeled cheating yet no one is aware of it. My friends always share answers with one another and it seems like such a common thing.
[post="1087264"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Hey, I use turnitin.com too! it allows our teacher to tell us to turn something in on the weekend or whatever, which isn't always the greatest.

& copying is very common, isn't it?

Me and my friends allways copy eachother's homework. And yea, I've helped a few friends cheat on tests. The sad part is that it's SO easy to get away with.

G$f3arl3ssG$ said:
[post="1087264"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Also, it scans a bunch of published journals and all past student essays that were previously scanned.

I haven't had to submit anything to turnitin.com yet. That's because professors have to be very careful about it. A few years ago, this student launched a giant lawsuit against his university because he refused to submit a paper (Because it implies that the university presumes that all students plagarize. It was a matter of pride.) and I think his professor failed him.

Anyways, he won the lawsuit, forcing the prof to mark his paper and passed the course. Here's why he won. One, Turnitin.com isn't absolutely foolproof. It could falsely accuse someone of plagarism and some professors would take that as the final say. Two, the site makes money from the students' papers without providing compensation to them in return. During the scan the paper is saved to a giant database of student papers, which they use for future scans.

So... Since this lawsuit, professors have been wary about using this site. But if a teacher wishes students to submit papers, he or she has the right to refuse to. Instead, they have the choice to show the profs their notes, roughs, etc instead.

I don't know. My English teacher clearly stated that it was MANDATORY for all of us to turn it in or else we don't get credit. Personally, for me, it's unnerving and I feel that it is uncalled for. And besides, the same idea for a certain literary work will often be discussed over and over again that it can almost be common to have the same thoughts as someone else on the other side of the country. It's ridiculous.

^ I guess maybe it's because the lawsuit happened in Canada. So, I guess news hasn't really travelled over the border.

But, I know here it put professors on their toes. It was sort of a wake up call. Even thought they teach the class and give the marks, they're still answerable to the student body.

G$f3arl3ssG$ said:
Lol, high schoolers are so lazy though, but they'll put the effort in to copy.
[post="1087291"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
This is very true. Like I'm too lazy to come up with my own answers but I'll take the time to copy them off someone's paper. It's just easier, unless the person you copied from didn't do very well, then you're screwed.

Webmistress Eh? said:
^ Students only tend to copy off their smart friends, not the ones that are known for flunking courses...
[post="1092825"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

So true..in the mornings, all the smart kids are swarmed by those who didn't do their homework. I'll copy off people for the subjects I do badly in, but then I help out people who need help in a subject I'm good in too.

I think the best one at my school is using white out. Kids type answers really small and tape them onto the bottom of the white out bottle, then just pretend they're using white out and look at the paper. It's pretty clever no one's ever been caught.

bristowbabe47 said:
I think the best one at my school is using white out.  Kids type answers really small and tape them onto the bottom of the white out bottle, then just pretend they're using white out and look at the paper.  It's pretty clever no one's ever been caught.
[post="1093934"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I actually heard about that from my English teacher from two years ago. Actually, they printed it out and then shrunk it (don't ask me how :confused: ) and taped it around the bottle. All that time to cheat could have been put to use in studying the information that you're copying down, huh?

This one is a catholic school (or private school) technique. You know how girls like to hem their skirts to just below their @ss? Well what some do is write anwers directly onto their thigh. The skirt's long enough to cover it up, but you can see it when you sit down.

Another one is writing stuff onto a very small sheet of paper and sticking into your knee high stockings.

And, this is variation on the last one. Wear shorts under your kilt and stuff the cheat sheet under one a pant leg. You know. Alias-style.

^ I've seen girls do it all the time.

Webmistress Eh? said:
This one is a catholic school (or private school) technique. You know how girls like to hem their skirts to just below their @ss? Well what some do is write anwers directly onto their thigh. The skirt's long enough to cover it up, but you can see it when you sit down.

Another one is writing stuff onto a very small sheet of paper and sticking into your knee high stockings.

And, this is variation on the last one. Wear shorts under your kilt and stuff the cheat sheet under one a pant leg. You know. Alias-style.

[post="1094968"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

While I haven't seen that happened, I've heard about it. I've heard of someone who wrote out an essay before the exam, hid it in their pencil case and took it out during the exam. I don't know how that was pulled off without anyone seeing.

^ They're all used for schools involving kilts.

I've seen the essay one before. If your teacher is actually silly enough to not give special exam sized paper, girls would just swap sheets during the exam.

G$f3arl3ssG$ said:
I actually heard about that from my English teacher from two years ago. Actually, they printed it out and then shrunk it (don't ask me how  :confused: ) and taped it around the bottle. All that time to cheat could have been put to use in studying the information that you're copying down, huh?
[post="1094749"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

But, cheating is still so much easier darling. A lot of the time, I'll cheat, but still try to rely on my knowledge & just look at the answers when i don't know the answer to something.

Webmistress Eh? said:

[post="1094968"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I've written out formulas or answers or whatever on a small piece of paper, & folded it & just stuck in somewhere where it wouldn't be noticed, & took it out during the test. That only works if you don't sit in the front or whatever though. My old math teacher would just sit at his desk the entire time, so I used to cheat a lot there. & once, my friend put the answers in her bra, & just wore a loose/low shirt or whatever & she got the answers that way.

Webmistress Eh? said:
I've seen the essay one before. If your teacher is actually silly enough to not give special exam sized paper, girls would just swap sheets during the exam.

Haha, I do this a lot too. Whenever we have timed essays, the teachers usually give us 2 days to complete it, so I just go home & write up parts of it, then bring it in the next day. Everyone does it anyways.

To not cheat/copy/whatever, would be to put yourself at a disadvantage to everyone else.

To not cheat/copy/whatever, would be to put yourself at a disadvantage to everyone else.
[post="1096381"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

OK, that's not true. I have never ever cheated since like the 3rd grade, I'm in 9th. And last year, I graduated first in my class. You don't need cheating to put yourself at the advantage.

^ I have to agree with that. Ultimately, I think it would benefit you the most to avoid cheating as much as possible. Because once you hit university/college, cheating becomes very difficult to do and if you get caught, that'd just screwed your whole education. (ex. For exam, you see at least a few students get caught for cheating. They fail on the spot.)

Also, I personally as a student who doesn't cheat during tests, exams, papers, etc would be pretty turned off if I studied my butt off to remember the material. Whereas, some else decides to cheat and gets the same mark (or higher) than me.

^ I remember this one time. I worked for weeks on this photography paper and finished very proud of it. There was this other girl who just cut and paste an entire biography off the internet the night before. I figured she'd get caught because it was pretty obvious that it was just a pasting job. The paper started in the middle of a sentence and didn't follow a proper paper format. Well, we ultimately ended up getting a similar mark and I was a tad annoyed. But then, the teacher wasn't known for being a careful marker. She has a tendency to play favourites and ignore content completely. I didn't say anything about the cut and paste to the teacher because that student was actually a very good friend of mine. Yeah... Loyalty trumped my annoyance.

I've got a question now. If you found out a student cheated on an exam or test, would you report them? I mean in university/college because in high school cheating is like a community activity.

Back