Politics Cheney (U.S Vice President) Hunting Accident

I got this news earlier today at school during class on Channel 1........

Turns out that the U.S's Vice President, Dick Cheney is responsible for a hunting incident on Saturday. Vice President Dick Cheney told FOX News on Wednesday that he alone is responsible for a weekend hunting accident in which he shot Austin attorney Harry Whittington.

Cheney's slow, unapologetic public response to the accidental shooting of a 78-year-old Texas attorney turned last weekend's quail-hunting mishap into a political liability for the Bush administration and prompted senior White House officials to press Cheney to address the issue publicly, several prominent Republicans said Tuesday.

Cheney has avoided public comment other than to release two short statements. One stated that he would be issued a warning for not paying a $7 hunting fee in Texas; the other, released Tuesday by his office, detailed when he learned of Whittington's worsening condition and said his "thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Whittington and his family."

No evidence has emerged to suggest that the shooting was anything more than a hunting accident, but the spectacle of the vice president wounding a prominent Republican at an exclusive Texas ranch has become the punch line for politicians and comedians alike, and has penetrated popular culture through late-night television.

I think that Cheney should be punished equally as if someone like us would do something like that...(Well, I mean that he should be consequenced the same, despite his higher rank in position in our society...)

I agree that he should be prosecuted just like a regular civilian, but even a regular civilian probably wouldn't have severe charges against them. Though I do think that a regular civilian would've been questioned by the police immediately and not given the oppertunity to wait hours. Cheney was issued a warning for not having the proper stamp to hunt quail in Texas. They are also investigating whether or not there was any misconduct. Given the fact that Whittington is a long time Republican, a friend of Cheney's and seems to be doing well (even with the heartattack) he won't press charges.

I, along with many others across party lines, find it troubling that it was nearly 24 hours until the public was notified that the Vice President had shot someone. That's concerning, especially since it was a private citizen who came forward with the information and not the Vice President's office. That's troubling.

Was it troubling when the Clintons didnt let federal investigators get a hold of any evidence when a white house staffer killed himself...was it troubling when HArry Reid withheld the fact that he had a stroke for three days.

My point is, when you accidentally shoot a friend your first reaction is not to give CNN an interview, rather, it is to see that the person you shot is ok. That fact that this is a big deal is a joke. Many in the media want the guy to die so Cheney gets in trouble.

Was it troubling when the Clintons didnt let federal investigators get a hold of any evidence when a white house staffer killed himself...was it troubling when HArry Reid withheld the fact that he had a stroke for three days.

My point is, when you accidentally shoot a friend your first reaction is not to give CNN an interview, rather, it is to see that the person you shot is ok. That fact that this is a big deal is a joke. Many in the media want the guy to die so Cheney gets in trouble.

This may come as a shock, but yes those other incidents are troubling. Though if we're going to talk about Harry Reid's medical history let's not forget the times Cheney has been hospitalized with the media finding out days later.

I understand that when you shoot someone you're first reaction isn't to give an interview to CNN or any other network, but you think that a statement could've been released sooner. The fact that a citizen released the information first isn't right. Cheney's staff should've come out in a timely matter and not picked up the pieces after Mrs. Armstrong came forward.

And insinuating that people in the media want Harry Whittington to die is absolutely atrocious. I don't know what media you've been listening to/watching but I have heard nothing but people's sympathy and condolences for the Whittington family. I don't care for Cheney, but I would never wish for another man's death just so Cheney could get in trouble, that's sickening, and I sincerly hope there aren't people like that out there.

Well there are people out there like that, many of whom make p the mainsteam media.

And it was 100% appropirate for Mrs. Armstrong to come forward first becasue she was an eyewitness, knew the person who got shot, and knew the ranch. Who is going to question her? No one. There's no point in releasing a statement when you only know some of the facts, especially in a case such as this, where someone has been shot, becasue it eliminates speculation and ocnspiracy theories.

This is not a big deal. Hunting accidents happen all the time.

Well there are people out there like that, many of whom make p the mainsteam media.

And it was 100% appropirate for Mrs. Armstrong to come forward first becasue she was an eyewitness, knew the person who got shot, and knew the ranch. Who is going to question her? No one. There's no point in releasing a statement when you only know some of the facts, especially in a case such as this, where someone has been shot, becasue it eliminates speculation and ocnspiracy theories.

This is not a big deal. Hunting accidents happen all the time.

Really? And you have quotes or video to back these accusations up? Unless you have actual proof that people in the mainstream media would want this man to die so Cheney would get in trouble, I don't see how you have any right insinuating such things.

I still don't see how it was appropriate for Mrs. Armstrong to be the one to release the information. The President wasn't even immediately informed (he must feel really important). Actually, you'd think that the White House would want to come out as quickly as possible, because waiting so long as only stirred up more conspiracty theories (such as the fact if members of the party were intoxicated). If they had come out with a brief statement immediately I don't think people would have as many questions as they do now.

Not a big deal? Someone getting shot, by the Vice President of all people is a rather big deal. Just because something happens all the time doesn't lessen the severity. People have heart attacks all the time, but they are still quite a big deal.

This issue does not warrant the media orgy that has accompanied it.

And it's simple logic which leads one to believe that the death of the man he shot is in the interest of the mass media. They hate Bush. They hate Cheney. Man dies=Troubly for Cheney=Good for media.

This issue does not warrant the media orgy that has accompanied it.

And it's simple logic which leads one to believe that the death of the man he shot is in the interest of the mass media. They hate Bush. They hate Cheney. Man dies=Troubly for Cheney=Good for media.

I have to agree that the media coverage is getting tiresome. All too often they get fixated on a story and cover it ad naseum, and let more important stories fly under the radar.

But no, that's not simple logic. I don't like Bush and I don't like Cheney, but I would never wish for someone's death so that Cheney would get into trouble. If you don't have the facts to back up such a powerful statement, then it never should've been said.

I have to agree that the media coverage is getting tiresome. All too often they get fixated on a story and cover it ad naseum, and let more important stories fly under the radar.

But no, that's not simple logic. I don't like Bush and I don't like Cheney, but I would never wish for someone's death so that Cheney would get into trouble. If you don't have the facts to back up such a powerful statement, then it never should've been said.
I didn't say you wanted him to die. I said the media did. And I stand by that.

I didn't say you wanted him to die. I said the media did. And I stand by that.

I realize that. But I think unless you have proof (as in a quote or video) then you absolutely cannot insinuate that the members of the media want Mr. Whittington to die just because they may dislike Cheney.

I realize that. But I think unless you have proof (as in a quote or video) then you absolutely cannot insinuate that the members of the media want Mr. Whittington to die just because they may dislike Cheney.
I can insinuate whatever I want. Its a hypothesis which may not be tested, because he's not gonna die.

Back