Clans, Guilds, Great Houses

Seeria

Cadet
Any word on whether or not this is still the game plan. If not, how has it changed?

MMORPG.com: Your website mentions players having the abilities to "join in-game organizations". Can you give us an idea of what this means? Will these organizations give any kind of benefit for membership (specific skill options, items, etc.)?
Aaron Standridge:

There are three primary tiers of in-game organizations, each including a subset of the one before it. The first step is forming a Clan, which may also be considered a “family.” It allows access to such niceties as a custom hierarchy system, an optional article of clothing with the clan’s colors, clan-wide login message, a shared last name and of course, a clan chat channel.

Two or more clans (which meet some minimum criteria) can opt to form a guild, which in addition to a second level of the clan benefits (guild-wide login message, guild chat, etc), includes a guild insignia, special guild-wide abilities granted to each member, and bonuses for grouping with your guild on quests. Note that you don’t have to be in a clan to join a guild.

Finally, Great Houses are composed of multiple Guilds. There are three Great Houses, each representing a major faction in the world. It is at this level that Guilds may unify to tip the balance of power in the world in favor of one faction or another.

Note that in all of these cases, the lower tiers maintain their own identity as well. A clan does not cease to exist as an organization when it merges with another to form a guild. Secession is also a possibility, leading to interesting political situations.

From what I understand it is still in the game-plan. This entire concept sounds interesting. And a little whisper from a bird once said this, and I'll even quote it.

Hero's Journey is going to have the most unique PvP of any game ever created...

Hope that helps your mind start rolling about what the tiers of organization might be able to do.

But, how will the wars work? Does anyone know? Like PvP'ing in WoW sucked. You had to wait for their to be horde players and while you were waiting WoW gave you a completely inaccurate timer that would say 5 minutes but would actually take 5 hours.

And will you get "honors" for winning a battle or based on the fact that you fought in a PvP battle?

Originally posted by frostydf2@May 11 2006, 07:26 PM
From what I understand it is still in the game-plan. This entire concept sounds interesting. And a little whisper from a bird once said this, and I'll even quote it.

Hero's Journey is going to have the most unique PvP of any game ever created...

Hope that helps your mind start rolling about what the tiers of organization might be able to do.
Saying that is opening the door to insanity and endless rambling thoughts and questions...GOOD GOING! :D

From what I can gather....

We will be fighting as the three factions.

In the aftermath of this cataclysmic event, the ruling factions of the world - The Gearsmiths, The Arcanum and the nature-loving Kinnaes - have come together under the banner of the Triumvirate

Maybe we're fighting for the ruling power of the Truimvirate?

MMORPG.com: People have been demanding answers about Player vs. Player Combat. Can you elaborate on what your plans are – if any - for this in Hero’s Journey?

Eric Slick:
First, the Disclaimer: Our plans for Player vs Player activities in HJ are quite elaborate. Some of it will be available at launch and other parts will be made available with future expansions. What is described here is the intent of the design and may not reflect the actual state of PvP at release. PvP will exist in two basic flavors:

* Individual, Clan and Guilds
This is PvP that pits participants in duels, games, tournaments and PvP quests. Not only will players be able to challenge other players to duels, Guilds and Clans will be able to challenge other Guilds and Clans to duels. Additionally, individual players, clans and guilds will be able to compete for honors in game tournaments, which they can use for bragging rights or to obtain new benefits. In fact, we want to allow guilds and clans to create their own tournaments and invite other clans and guilds to participate.
* Factional
There are three main player factions in Hero’s Journey. Factions can conquer territory or compete for political advantages that in turn might help them gain control of the Triumvirate (the ruling political body). When conquering territories, Factions can gain control of strategic resources, which in turn can give their faction certain advantages that can include influencing World Machines, granting of new benefits, items, etc.

When players are not in a PvP world, they may be in one of three states: Opt Out, Standard or Overt. The Opt Out state prevents a player from engaging in or being a target of any PvP activity. The Standard state allows you to engage in or be the target of covert (non-combat) PvP. Certain actions, such as failing a covert PvP action or attacking someone in an Overt state can move you to the Overt state. The Overt state allows any Standard or Overt flagged player to engage you in combat.

and oohh btw.......

my original post for this thread still stands... seeing how this thread is not about pvp but has become it... oops. rofl

From my understanding: There are, and will be, factions... Clans may not have to chose which side of the Triumvirate to serve, but guild's will, I believe. Players may chose to join a clan (Family) or not. Clans can join guilds, in whole, and individual players can join guilds.

Your characters last name will be the name of the clan you join, as far as I know. Guilds may give players titles, much the way many games currently do, under the players name.

If Guilds are not required to swear an allegiance to a particular faction, then I am fairly certain Great Houses will have to. Though, out of the three, I've heard little to no info on great houses, nor have I heard a discussion on what it takes to form any one of the three groups.

I would definitely like to know what it takes to form a clan, a guild and a great house. I do plan on starting up a clan and a guild of my own ;)

~ Jaraeth

Originally posted by Daax@May 12 2006, 01:51 PM
I've never been experienced with Guilds or clans much in past games. Ask Rai. I'm not much of a team player. ;)
You don't need to be a team player ;) My guild in DAoC was more of a chat group of friends than a group of raiders. Being that my guild is on Gaheris, there was no RvR, so there was no need for common militant guilds who's sole purpose was to capture keeps and kill as many of the opposing factions as possible :smiley: I don't plan on making my guild in HJ focused on combat or doing "team" events, but rather doing things on a whim, with scheduled/planned events as we want them to happen.

~ Jaraeth

For Eutopia we like to have fun and have a group to go do things. We will post events and then will just get together each night and just go do a quest. It helps to have friends that you know there play style and have teamwork and fun together.

Zyllian

Back